Sign in to follow this  
togz

[Band Battle] NIGHTMARE vs. the GazettE

54 members have voted

1. 1. You must choose

• the GazettE
    • Nightmare

Two bands that have been around for a long time, had some pretty nice older tunes, but now tend to be on a trending hate list for a lot of people. While they sound vastly different, I felt it appropriate to compare them but more so based on their growth and direction as well as their release history.

I will post an old video and new video from each band. Please tell me which you prefer now if you had to choose, why, and what release from the chosen artist you like most. Please avoid using responses such as "Nightmare obviously" Or "the GazettE clearly" Please explain.

Nightmare

the GazettE

Have at it.

No question for me here - easily the GazettE. They have their ups and downs but basically more listenable than non-listenable songs all in all. While I just cannot get into Nightmare because of Yomi's constipated opera vox and unremarkable instrumentals.

I am almost tempted at voting Nightmare because of all the shit Gazette have released after Gama (except for a few good songs on DIM), but I'l go with Gazette because unlike Nightmare, they have several really good releases in their discography.

I was never really able to get into Nightmare and really dig it. I've only heard the stuff up until Killer Show, and none of the albums are bad. But none of them are amazing either. Always uneven with some good songs, some fillers and only a couple of really, really good songs. Decent band, but not more than that.

Gazette, up until Gama, were really good, and Disorder and Cockayne Soup are among the best albums in the scene since its birth. The four other EPs, as well as all the singles before the overrated, awfully boring Reila, are very good.

So the choice is simple, really. But Nightmare have never reached a low like Gazette dig with NIL, and the band would walk further down the abyss with albums such as Stacked Rubbish, Toxic, Division and Beautiful Deformity. So Nightmare are the most even out of the two (from what I have heard), since everything is listenable. But Gazette has the best released behind them.

Agreed with what Jig said abt Yomi's constipated vox. Except that he didn't use to sound like that earlier in their career (I don't wanna know where/how he unlearned singing), and his vocals were even more amazing live than they are on record. Nightmare has had a shocking decline post-2009 (in my opinion), but I liked "majestical parade," and their other albums before that (especially "anima") were great. On account of that I've voted Nightmare.

The GazettE has been hit-and-miss for me for as long as I can remember, and I'm not even enthusiastic about their new releases anymore. Yeah there are still a couple of interesting tracks/ideas scattered around, but the merits of which are always grossly outweighed by filler and re-hashed materials.

the GazettE for sure.  I used to love Nightmare a lot back in the day but now they are kind of boring and Yomi's voice is completely different.  I love how the GazettE is always changing but is still amazing, they are just evolving and I love it!

Absolutely The GazettE...
They're the one who made me into this scene...

The only Nightmare stuff that I liked are that Death Note opening-ending and Deus ex Machina...

I could never get into Gazette, especially their older releases sound so random and forced. Nightmare got me into the scene and I absolutely enjoy their material up to the Lost In Blue Single. Great instrumentals, cocky vocals etc.

Even if I absolutely despise about 80% of their newer material and..Yomi.

I still don't understand the ones complaining about Yomi while rooting for Ruki. That balls cut whiny voice is better in what way actually?

Both bands got me into the scene but Nightmare began to suffer from what many bands in the "anime scene" suffered from. They pump out some solid releases in the beginning then gradually just go to the shitter. I can't even bring myself to listen to what Nightmare is doing now after SCUMS and hell, way before that. Its so sad. At least the GazettE recovered from their "wtf" phase. I see no hope for Nightmare. 

Hmmm I'm not surprised by who is winning however the reasons are pretty surprising! If I wasn't mobile I'd make a longer post, will do when I get home! Keep it coming guys!

all hail godzette

In all seriousness though, I'd have to go with them. I cannot recall a time where I thought the Gazette sounded samey or what have you, meaning, in my humble opinion, every Gazette album has always brought something new to the table, every album sounding different from the last. There's been a lot of change in musical direction, but I've mostly been impressed with all they have decided to pursue. 

Can't say the same for Nightmare, I have found them to be awfully boring. I liked a lot of their earlier releases, pre-2006 maybe, but after that I lost interest. 

However, doesn't mean I can completely dismiss Nightmare. They are truly not that bad, but just not what I like.

NIGHTMARE

didn't like their latest releases but I still enjoy them more than the GazettE

Required Malfunction even with the horrible screaming/grunts enough said........

Me personally I have to agree somewhat that nightmare had a bore factor. The gazette was my favorite band for a good 6+ years, however I felt they started to actually recycle and reuse a lot of musical aspects after DIM ( their greatest release in my opinion). For me the gazette had really reached their peak and while I still think they make interesting music enough to deserve their place in the vk scene I still prefer nightmare. While I understand Yomis voice may not be for everyone, I don't think it's appropriate to say he can't sing. I don't enjoy their last few releases but over age they seemed to have really stayed creative. Musically I enjoyed nightmare more due to creative guitar riffs an melodies. I get the whole anime syndrome thing, but not all of their songs are like that.

I have to choose nightmare because even though their last few releases weren't solid , overall I enjoy their arrangements much more

I knew Gazette were gonna take this one. Gazette were one of my gateway visual kei bands, as well. But they lost me completely with the last few releases. They seem to have fallen into this rut that I find boring and predictable. Nightmare, on the other hand, has always left me bored and unimpressed, to be frank. But overall, Gazette at least had more than a few years I felt were worthy of the attention they got, so they get my vote.

Just want to say, even though the hands have turned in favor of the GazettE (as predicted by many) I respect and appreciate everyone's opinions and posts here. 

If you chose Nightmare, what would the GazettE really have to do to wow you in to enjoying them a bit more.
If you chose the GazettE, what would you hope to hear from Nightmare?

You all rock. *___*

\m/ don't do drugs, stay in school.

Gazette got me into the scene. I love im'. The only Nightmare album I fully enjoyed was "The World Ruler" and then a couple of singles like "Shian", and "Melody"....but Gazette...I have so many favorites of theirs. 

GazettE has flaws left and right but I find it easy to love them in spite of this.

Lots of people are bored of Ruki's vocals, but there is a lot he does with it. I am still a big fan of him. Yomi on the other hand has literally ONE way of singing, has created some beautiful songs in the past but has worn out its welcome. The kicker with Nightmare for me is if you aren't into Yomi's singing (anymore) then it is nearly impossible to look past, its very obstructive and in-your-face. Even when the instrumental is good Yomi suffocates it with his voice.

Just want to say, even though the hands have turned in favor of the GazettE (as predicted by many) I respect and appreciate everyone's opinions and posts here. 

If you chose Nightmare, what would the GazettE really have to do to wow you in to enjoying them a bit more.

If you chose the GazettE, what would you hope to hear from Nightmare?

You all rock. *___*

\m/ don't do drugs, stay in school.

As far as Nightmare getting my attention... I'm not sure. Maybe something really unlike them? I did like some of Sendai Kamotsu, and probably would prefer more of that project than Nightmare. I guess because it kind of takes you somewhere else and it's really their own thing. When they're doing the Nightmare thing, it kind of sounds like an amalgamation of things I've already heard before, and done better by others. Which is a problem I have with a ton of other vk bands (Alice Nine, Royz, Kiryu, ect)

For Nightmare, I'd probably like them with a different singer to be honest. For the Gazette, I would like them to drop toxic and division from their discography and never do all those electronic or bleepy bleepy or bloop or all that sfx again.

I discovered Nightmare before the GazettE but I listened to the GazettE more. For that reason, I chose the GazettE. It's sad to see both bands fall to mediocrity but it's something I've come to expect from most bands I listen to.

As far as Nightmare getting my attention... I'm not sure. Maybe something really unlike them? I did like some of Sendai Kamotsu, and probably would prefer more of that project than Nightmare. I guess because it kind of takes you somewhere else and it's really their own thing. When they're doing the Nightmare thing, it kind of sounds like an amalgamation of things I've already heard before, and done better by others. Which is a problem I have with a ton of other vk bands (Alice Nine, Royz, Kiryu, ect)

Okay, I know this is old and my reply is off topic but I can't believe you said that about Kiryu. I'll admit I'm a bit biased but some of Kiryu's songs are some of the more unique songs I've heard or at least very memorable and definitely enjoyable. For example: Gabi no Sanagi wa Uko wo Shirazu, Misemono Kitan, Hanaichimonme, Oirantan, Tomoshibi, and others. I'm just surprised you said that about Kiryu, am I the only one who feels that way? (Seriously) And if so, I kind of want some examples of bands or songs that Kiryu/Kiryu's songs are an amalgamation of (which were also done better). I'm sincerely asking, not trying to start a fight. I'm always happy to learn new things. 

Also, you have to admit, LILIA by Royz was pretty awesome!

Oh and I definitely love the Gazette but I haven't really listened to Nightmare that much, so I can't say, but I would guess the Gazette.

And yes, I created this account just to write this reply...

^ I definitely see the resemblance in the pieces you mentioned, particularly between Aien Kien and the piece by Madeth Gray'll. But, personally (simply an opinion) I enjoyed both of Kiryu's pieces more. I'm not a big fan of non-melodic music so in that aspect I think Kiryu's pieces were better, plus I really like Mahiro's vocals. But the one by Madeth Gray'll was pretty nice! I can't say the same about Baiser, though (once again, an opinion).

That was interesting to listen to and compare so I'm certainly not opposed to more examples. Thank you!

Sign in to follow this