Trombe

MIYAVI new maxi single "Real?" release

I can't believe he's going nigga now??

offt - 

he should team up with kelis so they would have sort of flopped together

I remember hearing once that his popularity dropped after he left PSC (though this was from a PSC-stan so I'd take it with a grain of salt) but I'm not sure if that's also visible in CD/ticket-sales. We need nekkichi to provide us with the CD sales numbers, because I have no idea where she gets them.

I don't have exact numbers, but here's his oricon outline - 

http://www.oricon.co.jp/prof/artist/263818/ranking/cd_single/

his single sales were declining steadily all the way since going major past-miyavizm, but his recent two albums actually got the sales back.

I'm not sure if that's his returning fans, or people got into collaboration album bc of other artists, and into s-t bc. it's been marketed better, though.

Sounds like a catchy pop song to me, not sure what's so bad about it? I mean, unless you just aren't a fan of the female vocalist kinda singing over the guitar work... I could have used a little less of that. But otherwise, total dance party over here.

I really don't know what people thinks its so bad about this song. Seems like an okay progression from his last album.

I was expecting more. The preview sounded way more awesome than the final version. I find the "gospel" part really great, I can see myself grooving to it on a concert.

Interesting experiment, looking for more.

I've mixed feelings about this song... :wan-03: it's good but he made better tracks than this one, like Ahead of the Light or Day 1, maybe the most enjoyable thing was the female keyboardist, she has a really good voice. And that moonwalk... uhm... about that move i am traditionalist so... this homage to Michael Jackson could be appreciable but not so much... Therefore i will look forward to the b-side, hoping that is better than this.  

I'm torn. It's catchy and kind of fun, I like his vocal performance in the song, but I think the overall composition is tired from him. Like he does the same guitar riff and the same beat for all his songs anymore but changes the lyrics and melody of the voice. It definitely has room to grow on me though, it could end up being a guilty pleasure.

Sounds like a catchy pop song to me, not sure what's so bad about it? I mean, unless you just aren't a fan of the female vocalist kinda singing over the guitar work... I could have used a little less of that. But otherwise, total dance party over here.

It's the fact that Miyavi just stopped being creative and got stuck in "hey, I hire some American Idol-level writers down here and I'll let my new sound say it"-kind of stupidity - and this "experiment" is nothing different from it. Okay, cool - we've had "Day 1" and "Ahead of the Light", but I considered those to be quite okay for "era-related experiments" - but him moving on to the soundtrack for "europop-inducing, stationary bike-riding audiences who like to flex their muscles/asses to their phone cameras and put a serious number of hashtagged gym slang @instagram*" (a.k.a his self-titled release)? An obvious sign of "not trying", duh.

And "Real?" showcases no evolution, nor him willing to express his creativity further - looks like I have to sob while listening to Dokusou or Samurai Sessions, I guess?

*no offense to active gym visitors though - keeping yourself fit through regular exercising is always welcome, but don't do it for the sake of being "trendy" (aka spending more time in front of the mirror/mashing your android than doing actual work), sheesh.

It's the fact that Miyavi just stopped being creative and got stuck in "hey, I hire some American Idol-level writers down here and I'll let my new sound say it"-kind of stupidity - and this "experiment" is nothing different from it. Okay, cool - we've had "Day 1" and "Ahead of the Light", but I considered those to be quite okay for "era-related experiments" - but him moving on to the soundtrack for "europop-inducing, stationary bike-riding audiences who like to flex their muscles/asses to their phone cameras and put a serious number of hashtagged gym slang @instagram*" (a.k.a his self-titled release)? An obvious sign of "not trying", duh.

And "Real?" showcases no evolution, nor him willing to express his creativity further - looks like I have to sob while listening to Dokusou or Samurai Sessions, I guess?

*no offense to active gym visitors though - keeping yourself fit through regular exercising is always welcome, but don't do it for the sake of being "trendy" (aka spending more time in front of the mirror/mashing your android than doing actual work), sheesh.

Pretty much this.

At the beginning, Miyavi's legacy was about trying new things and new sounds. Gagaku and Galyuu were a departure from his 90's sound with Due le quartz, with the latter being a refinement of the former. Miyavizm was his attempt at sprinkling pop appeal into his rock music. MYV POPS was him going full throttle into pop territory, Dokusou was his intimacy with the acoustic guitar, Samurai Sessions and Kavki Boiz was his attempt at mixing rock and hip-hop, etc. Every single one of his "eras" was something entirely different than before, and if not entirely different than different enough for fans to notice the change. Whether it was received well or not is another matter entirely.

This experimentation has stopped entirely ever since he came back. He's been using the same songwriting technique since TORTURE, and it's so copypasta I can smell the parmesan cheese. He seems unable to write a majority of his music without having to "collaborate" with somebody, which usually involves them taking creative reign of his music and producing yet another flavor of the month music track with no lasting appeal. I can remember listening to and reviewing his last album but if you were to ask me to hum a track I couldn't do it, yet I can still remember half the songs from Gagaku without having listened to the album for three years. When was the last time Miyavi released a single track that *OMGSHOCKER* used an acoustic guitar and played some chords instead of half-assedly slapping his way through the entire song? I can't even remember, that's how long it's been.

This is what I call "repetition over innovation" and it's so meta it hurts me in that cold, dark place in my heart where the penguins live. Everything since TORTURE is literally adding one element in, taking one element out, changing around the vocal melody, and then repeating a fifteen second idea for three minutes until he's created a song. He puts less effort into his music than Buckethead and the lyrics are evidence of that. I don't expect this song to be any longer than four minutes, yet we already know a quarter of the song consists of the phrase that begins with "let the music take you higher". Why the fuck is the guest gospel vocalist putting in more work than MYV on his own track?

From the man that's simultaneously tackled rock, pop, metal, visual kei, and acoustic music the absolute lack of effort he's put into his last few singles are inexcusable. If you like the catchy pop music that's all cool in the gang, but you can't even deny that he's not trying. He's literally not trying.

lol wow, I'm glad I listened to the whole thing (almost didn't, after reading all these reactions xD)... cuz it's totally funky. So glad that crappy oversung melodious part isn't the chorus, I can tolerate it for just as long as it goes on at the end of the song. Positively surprised - and still looking forward to the B-side.

Pretty much this.

At the beginning, Miyavi's legacy was about trying new things and new sounds. Gagaku and Galyuu were a departure from his 90's sound with Due le quartz, with the latter being a refinement of the former. Miyavizm was his attempt at sprinkling pop appeal into his rock music. MYV POPS was him going full throttle into pop territory, Dokusou was his intimacy with the acoustic guitar, Samurai Sessions and Kavki Boiz was his attempt at mixing rock and hip-hop, etc. Every single one of his "eras" was something entirely different than before, and if not entirely different than different enough for fans to notice the change. Whether it was received well or not is another matter entirely.

This experimentation has stopped entirely ever since he came back. He's been using the same songwriting technique since TORTURE, and it's so copypasta I can smell the parmesan cheese. He seems unable to write a majority of his music without having to "collaborate" with somebody, which usually involves them taking creative reign of his music and producing yet another flavor of the month music track with no lasting appeal. I can remember listening to and reviewing his last album but if you were to ask me to hum a track I couldn't do it, yet I can still remember half the songs from Gagaku without having listened to the album for three years. When was the last time Miyavi released a single track that *OMGSHOCKER* used an acoustic guitar and played some chords instead of half-assedly slapping his way through the entire song? I can't even remember, that's how long it's been.

This is what I call "repetition over innovation" and it's so meta it hurts me in that cold, dark place in my heart where the penguins live. Everything since TORTURE is literally adding one element in, taking one element out, changing around the vocal melody, and then repeating a fifteen second idea for three minutes until he's created a song. He puts less effort into his music than Buckethead and the lyrics are evidence of that. I don't expect this song to be any longer than four minutes, yet we already know a quarter of the song consists of the phrase that begins with "let the music take you higher". Why the fuck is the guest gospel vocalist putting in more work than MYV on his own track?

From the man that's simultaneously tackled rock, pop, metal, visual kei, and acoustic music the absolute lack of effort he's put into his last few singles are inexcusable. If you like the catchy pop music that's all cool in the gang, but you can't even deny that he's not trying. He's literally not trying.

I can maybe understand some of what you guys are saying in reference to his guitar riffage feeling recycled. It is not changing like it used to... but he's also older and probably not looking into as much guitar inspiration as he used to, either. So if you're more into his older styles... well, that's you're prerogative, I couldn't really stand Miyavi until Miyaviuta so my expectation of him is probably largly different than someone who's been with him since the beginning.  If taking one element in and removing another isn't enough change for you, personally... well I don't know what to tell you. He may be capable of more but this is obviously what he's interested in doing now and I still think it's strong song writing and the new elements keep it fresh. But I'm okay with being a minority in that, I guess. I think trying to compare an artist's current music to their older music without looking into its stand alone merits as well (aka the new elements he's adding and the quality of techniques used while adding it) is selling it a bit short, but that's just me. I think he is trying, he's just not trying in the aspects you want him to.

I was expecting worse based on the sample. It's not my favourite Miyavi song but it's not particularly bad either. It's just... average.

Also I can't help but find the contradictory paradox of complaining about his 'lack of progression' while simultaneously comparing it negatively to his previous works (thus indicating a clear, albeit unfavourable, progression of some kind) to be rather amusing.

I think that every artist is free to experiment every kind of style to be unique in his own way... but the main thing is not fossilize that concept all over the time. Now we know that Miyavi chose this style in order to be more known worldwide, and in his self-titled album he managed to give this commercial concept an unique shape, which made it enjoyable to most people, with songs like Day 1, Ahead of the Light, Horizon, Guard You, Secret, No one knows my name, Justice and the other rest of them, which had their identity in comparison to what is mainstream today. And now with Real? he joined the stream in which "artists" like Robin Thicke are... "homages" to Michael Jackson (some gestures and that moonwalk... sorry guys but that thingie made me irritating a bit), repeating beats already used in common music and above all the lack of break-downs or surprising parts as only Myv knew to do. So my main wish is that he don't choose the way that also Gackt took, because he would fall in the abyss of monotony and foregone things... That's my own opinion about this question.

Miyavi: "Just feel the moment~"

Yeah, i'm not feeling it, Miyavi. Maybe try with another release? You're the "Samurai guitarist" Not the "Samurai drowned out by every other sound in the song"

I have been reading comments on Youtube and there is a general "disappointment". Many miss his old music/sound. Not many are liking his rather westernized sound. A guy's comment I read said he was expecting something more Japanese.

In a way, I guess Miyavi (un)intentionally has gotten rid of lots of old fans ever since his new music has absolutlely nothing to do with anything Visual Kei-related.

Obviously Miyavi (or the people behind him...) are searching for other kind of fans...

^ Holy crap, you're right. It does sound like The Black Keys.

With the way a lot of rock music has been on the radio, I could definitely see this getting airplay if Meev wanted to go that route.