Sign in to follow this  
togz

[Band Battle] GALEYD vs. DELUHI

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• GALEYD
    • DELUHI

Well, after creating the lynch vs deathgaze thread, I figured why not stir up a real debate for some answers. I see these bands get compared A LOT. After listening to both bands, they don't sounds anything a like. Their guitarists, while both technically skilled beyond belief, have different styles that they in-cooperate in to their music. The vocal styles are really different as well. 

GALEYD

DELUHI

Now i can see how they'd fall under the same power metal type sub-genre, however i still think there's some different ideas in there.
I have taken in to consideration that the bands were on the same label and seemed to have the same promotional and marketing techniques from what I can tell. 

But sound wise, what are your opinions?

After listening to both bands, they don't sounds anything a like. Their guitarists, while both technically skilled beyond belief, have different styles that they in-cooperate in to their music. The vocal styles are really different as well. 

This so much. It eludes me why people compare them so much, other than the fact that they were playing somewhat contemporaneously and their music quality were both a cut above others in that "genre" of music (although it's debatable if they were even doing the same genre).

I have to go with DELUHI.  I actually hated metal until DELUHI found its way into my life, lol - they're currently my 2nd all-time fave band. Don't ask me why but Juri's harsh vocals remain the only one I genuinely enjoy (I can tolerate a couple others, but generally dislike most core-ish stuff). I appreciate GALEYD's quality (specifically Meku) - but something about Garo's vocals just don't work quite as well for me (ironically I liked him a lot more when he was in Hi:BRiD).

But why? 
Everytime I talk about Galeyd there's always at least one person "Oh you mean the Deluhi copy?"
Now I didn't take that to offense because I like the band, but it did make me curious as to what people are using as evidence for that, because musically, and visually they really are two solid bands on their own. 

I'd go for DELUHI as I like and prefer Juri's vocals over Garo's. :)

But GALEYD was a pretty good replacement after DELUHI's disbandment, I do have enjoyed quite of their songs as their instrumentals are similair sounding. ^.^

But why? 

Everytime I talk about Galeyd there's always at least one person "Oh you mean the Deluhi copy?"

Now I didn't take that to offense because I like the band, but it did make me curious as to what people are using as evidence for that, because musically, and visually they really are two solid bands on their own. 

I think thats because people listened to few bands in j-metal, so they think Deluhi and Galeyd sound same.

Its like with the anime. Folks say TitleA is so much like TitleB, CharacterA is so much like CharacterB. And thats because they watched like 10 titles in general.

Galeyd is closer to power metal, while late Deluhi sound metalcoric. They are different.

I think thats because people listened to few bands in j-metal, so they think Deluhi and Galeyd sound same.

Its like with the anime. Folks say TitleA is so much like TitleB, CharacterA is so much like CharacterB. And thats because they watched like 10 titles in general.

Galeyd is closer to power metal, while late Deluhi sound metalcoric. They are different.

Thank you. This is the kind of input I was looking for. 

I agree.

DELUHI and GALEYD are very similar to me because they both suffer from all the same problems. Virtuoso guitarist with a stranglehold on musical composition, a drummer that only moves at one speed half the time, near absent bassist, and a vocalist with a few ticks that you either like or hate. GALEYD started out metalcore but started leaning more towards power metal near the end. DELUHI started out metalcore and stayed in that genre the whole time. In Meku's solos I can spot snippets of classical influence but his solos were always so sterile. It felt like he was playing lots of notes really fast all the time and prized technical excellence over emotion in his music. I felt much more emotion out of Leda's solos a great majority of the time.

In terms of composition, Leda was more diverse overall. All of GALEYD's songs follow a very similar formula of verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-chorus-end whereas DELUHI's songs tend to be more dynamic. This changes a little bit for GALEYD near the end of their career but it's the main reason why I can't just put them on. However, DELUHI have made some awful tunes, especially during the tail end of their career. I can't pretend that Departure isn't a thing.

Still, I listen to DELUHI occasionally and I haven't listened to GALEYD seriously in months so my vote goes for DELUHI.

i never thought they sound similar. i have tried galeyd by few pvs(because i saw people say good things about them) and i never liked them and wasn't interested and never listen more.while i used to listen everything from deluhi. i think they are better.

for example i remember the first time i saw leda playing guitar in one video with deluhi song and i wanted to listen to everything they have. or with the firsts songs from deluhi. but galeyed sounds boring to me and i do not want to try more.

Actually, it's legit to say that DELUHI and GALEYD are two similar bands... The first time I listened to GALEYD it's what I thought, I directly said "Holy shit, this sounds too much like DELUHI". BUT, and it's true, GALEYD still is different from DELUHI for, mainly, the reasons that you guys have mentioned. But also because, if I remember well, only the instrumental is "copied" from DELUHI, the rest of their stuff is totally different. I like both bands, but I prefer DELUHI's stuff. So my vote goes for them.

i just read more comments above. when you look at them in the pvs they do seem like copy. in moves , clothes and styling a little. but if i am honest i never thought on my own that this band reminds me deluhi. if you do not look the pv especcially. probably they were influenced or tried to copy but deluhi was just better. i believe that if there was no image maybe people wouldn't see it so clearly the copy

edit: also i just read above they are in the same label. i didn't know that. i have seen many times bands in same music labels having this problem. looking or sounding similar/remind each other.

My two favorite bands of all time... didn't see that coming. Well, I go with DELUHI, they sound better. I feel there's more creativity on DELUHI songs than on GALEYD's.

I remember liking some early DELUHI songs, but I feel as if they got worse as their career progressed. When everthing was said and done, they were one big hot mess. DELUHI may have had a more diverse discography, but you also have to keep in mind that DELUHI's career lasted about 3 years when GALEYD were only active for aprox. 1 year. I feel like GALEYD probably would have diversified eventually, but they were probably still getting used to writing songs together and developing their style. Who knows. But even still, out of the whole metalcore/power-metal-ish hybrid sound that the bands played (especially with the hard/heavy verses and poppy choruses), I feel like GALEYD executed it better than DELUHI (iirc, I remember cringing at how tacky some of the verse/chorus transitions in their songs were).

Vocally, I feel like Garo was just more solid all around than Juri, as he didn't suffer from a lot of the typical VK vocal inflections (which is a plus for me since so many VK vocals turn me away from the scene). Also, Juri has a slightly annoying vibrato.

WIth that said, I think both bands were talented and were welcome sights in a scene with such a dearth of quality musicianship. However, while I feel DELUHI were on a steep musical decline, I feel like GALEYD had a lot of potential to fulfill. So i'm rockin' with GALEYD in this one.

Here's how I feel. This is only an opinion and based off of my musical observance towards both bands.
Again, both were extremely talented I feel. 
Both did have the problem of a guitar virtuoso, that I can 100% agree. I do also agree that Meku was a lot more focused on technicality more so than emotional phrases etc. But he formed GALEYD to have that sort of band. I highly doubt that GALEYD  was trying to be like DELUHI. Prior to GALEYDs formation, there was aim, which was basically GALEYD with a different vocalist. Whether they were independent or signed to the same label, I am not sure. But I am assuming that aim was definitely in the labels interest since their cd is on the label shop site with DELUHI and GALEYD goods. 

I won't lie, I haven't gone through and listened to every DELUHI song on the planet, but at one point I did give them a listen, and this was before GALEYD was even around. I really just didn't like Juri's vocals. They're not bad, they just didn't appeal to me. Garo on the other hand has a very good vocal range and a lot of strength behind it. He may have a higher pitch, yes... but from live videos he did extremely well. I prefer his vocal showcase more in GALEYD  than any of his other projects. 

I do feel that while Leda and Meku are both very technical players, both are creative in their own ways. The transitional songs on Genesis, Loaded, and Destiny (op: 1, op: 6, and op: 9) showcased a lot of different styles that meku in-cooperated in to a metal feel. I'm not sure if Deluhi has songs like that or not. I'm just saying I doubt Meku went to a musical institute to be a Leda copy. I think they just have similar taste in technicality. 

With that said, I choose Galeyd simply because their sound appeals to me more than Deluhi. If both sounded so similar, I would have trouble choosing to begin with.

GALEYD is cool and all but I have a closer connection with DELUHI's songs - also I can remember tons more of their songs than GALEYD's (I can recall like...one? xD). They also went through an interesting change in sound, and even though I don't particularly jam anymore to their latter few tracks, I feel that their career was pretty solid. GALEYD had a good run too tho.

So going with DELUHI on this one.

GALEYD felt more like a mediocre attempt at overtaking the legacy of DELUHI (just like Mejibray at their earlier years) to me - and seeing as I sympathize more towards Leda's songs, thanks to ~vk nostalgia~ etc. PLUS I wasn't really amused by Garo's (?) vocalwork.

So yeah, DELUHI all the way (inb4 "ohmg how can you like shreddingcore music?" - as far as I have seen, Leda doesn't make silly shreds as much as Meku did...)

You're really comparing David and Goliath here. DELUHI came in with a pretty dedicated fanbase from the start with Leda coming over from GALNERYUS, so they had a lot of attention on them from day one. GALEYD had to kind of start from scratch, and had an, as previously mentioned, shorter career that didn't come to pass until DELUHI was already inactive. So while I agree they were different in a lot of ways, they still kind of filled the same space for a lot of people, and thusly those people will remember it as DELUHI doing it for them first. That's not really anyone's fault, but unfortunately that's the reality of it. 

I think both bands were great, but I lean on the thrash-y metalcore style a lot more than power metal so DELUHI wins for me. 

Sign in to follow this