Jigsaw9

DIR EN GREY new album and DVD release

I didn't like Rinkaku when it first came out but this remaster sounds better for me.

Sustain The Untruth remaster is bad. single version is way more listenable.

also bad opener and a very bad closer.

some kind of intro could have saved the beginning. Un Deux just doesn't work there.

this also applies to Revelation Of Mankind. it's a great headbanging stuff but it sounds out of the place.

I prefer longer tracks like VINUSHKA, DIABOLOS or MACABRE.

with 99% sureness one can say that the longest song on any album will be my favorite.

with that said, ARCHE doesn't offer anything this long so Kukoku No Kyouon is now my personal best of the new material.

beautiful song. fucking beautiful.

upon finishing I should say I still see ARCHE as an experimental thing.

not sure if this kind of experimenting is bad but Kisou (which I believe is really similar to ARCHE) is probably my least favorite album.

I'll just hope these solid (really solid as dannemannen pointed) tracks will somehow grow on me later.

I mean that was only the first try.

Well, after having listened to the full album, I can safely say that I'm gonna be skipping The Inferno on subsequent plays and replacing StU with the single version. Other than that, the album is pretty damn groovin'. I don't quite understand all the hate for Phenomenon either. I expected it to be COMPLETELY different based on the preview (it was my favorite out of all of them), but in the end I'm still happy with the full song just because it sounds so unlike the 'usual' Dir en grey.

Getting some major old school vibes from some of the guitar parts in Cause of Fickleness too, good.

And going along with Turtels (I'll replace "Rinkaku" with single version too - compressed riffs in album ver. are gross) and add that I will dump BOTH "The InferNAWWWW" AND "Revelation of Mankind" for the sake of having "Kuukoku" as a proper finale (it fits as a closer!)

+ in case "and Zero" is good enough to start the album, I will put it before "Un Deux" (or ditch the said song for good)

It's a very nice record but I'm missing something along the lines of Vinushka and Diabolos. Or something like Dreambox. I feel the album is not dynamic enough: not enough atmospheric build-ups and too few psychotic outbursts.

Loving the 'new' Rinkaku though. That song is infinitely better now.

I would have also loved something as long and slow and Vinushka or Diabolos...

Question though, this was bugging me earlier this year and even more so now. The guitar riff that goes along with the verse of "Phenomenon". It reminds me of the main riff of Nine Inch Nails song "All Time Low" from last year's album Hesitation Marks. HERE is what's bugging me, when THAT song came out, I could absolutely swear I had heard almost the EXACT same riff in yet ANOTHER, earlier DEG song. I've never been able to recall which song so I don't know If I'm out of my mind, If anyone knows what I mean? Does it sound familiar to anyone else? Riff starts at about :30 on All Time Low.

Wish I could just link the song but

MH: "Nope."

OHHHH THERE IT IS

Thank you very much, I knew which time period it was, but I kept thinking something on WTD for some reason...

Feels much better to know lol

I haven't heard the album in full yet, but a few notes:

- While other people are getting a 鬼葬 vibe, I'm sort of getting a "Withering to death. songwriting meets UROBOROS production."

- I'm expecting "The inferno" and "Revelation of mankind" to feel like bonus tracks. Again, while I haven't heard all of "空谷の跫音," something tells me that it would have been more of an appropriate ender.

- I agree that "Sustain the untruth" remaster BLOWS! It doesn't even 'match' the production/mastering of the other songs (if that makes sense, I'm not sure how to describe it)

- I'm not sure what everyone thinks is sooo much better about the 輪郭 remaster, but I guess I'll know when I hear it...

I would have also loved something as long and slow and Vinushka or Diabolos...

Question though, this was bugging me earlier this year and even more so now. The guitar riff that goes along with the verse of "Phenomenon". It reminds me of the main riff of Nine Inch Nails song "All Time Low" from last year's album Hesitation Marks. HERE is what's bugging me, when THAT song came out, I could absolutely swear I had heard almost the EXACT same riff in yet ANOTHER, earlier DEG song. I've never been able to recall which song so I don't know If I'm out of my mind, If anyone knows what I mean? Does it sound familiar to anyone else? Riff starts at about :30 on All Time Low.

Wish I could just link the song but

MH: "Nope."

Kaoru is a NIN stan tho, so there ya go lol.

Yeah it was never a surprise, but it was SO frustrating not knowing what song I was remembering.. I think NIN got pretty solid Japanese following in the past 15 years, Ruki always mentions them among his inspirations too (but doesn't mention Diru of course XD)

I honestly don't know where people get this WtD vibe from. There are exactly 2 songs having vocal chorus sections which COULD have been on that album.. other than that, there's really no connection... at least no more than any other album.

Why oh why didn't they open the album with 'and Zero'? It's frackin' beautiful, and I think it honestly sets the tone for the album. 

I don't like messing with the integrity of an album, honestly, but I'm tempted to throw and Zero in the front and pretend that's how it's suppose to be. lol

Maybe my two cents would be better placed here rather than in the review thread cause it's not exactly the most thorough of opinions...

16 shades of #BR00T4L music to cut yourself to.

I liked the first three songs, Rinkaku and Sustain the Untruth. I probably only liked the first three songs 'cause I was excited to hear the new album but lost interest after that and all the songs just started melting into each other in my mind and I got bored.

All in all, not a surprising album for me, I'm not so far up my arse that I have to critique whether they used 1 string or another, or any of the technical stuff, I'm a filthy casual I suppose and in the end this is just more of the same to me.

For the most part, this release is boring.

To each their own.