Sign in to follow this  
Wicked Teletubby

DIR EN GREY new single "SUSTAIN THE UNTRUTH" release

I don't see the "creepiness" fading entirely in this song. At least not from what I've heard in the studio preview. It's just that veery poppish (final) chorus that makes the difference, I guess. I like it so far, but I get the feeling it will get boring in no time. There has to be something else to this song.

I'm fully aware that they're busy recording the best vk album of 2014 rn, but it's literally like the fatal believer + lotus + rinkaku + a bit of unravelling here and there

@nekkichi so you're actually excited? :D

but it's literally like the fatal believer + lotus + rinkaku + a bit of unravelling here and there

Yeah obviously. I also noticed that they copied a large portion of "bottom of the death valley (kisou)" for the song "bottom of the death valley (unraveling)". the 2002 version also literally sounded like mein teil (rammstein) from 2004. those f**kers, probably all on kaoru's account.

I don't see the "creepiness" fading entirely in this song. At least not from what I've heard in the studio preview. It's just that veery poppish (final) chorus that makes the difference, I guess. I like it so far, but I get the feeling it will get boring in no time. There has to be something else to this song.

that's similar to how I feel. I love the verse and the intro, but the chorus does nothing to me. I guess Imma wait and hope they do some nice changes on the other verses or maybe a nice bridge

@nekkichi so you're actually excited? :D

if their recent singles are actually representing the album's direction, I'll be there for it.

I hope they recognize that pulling DSS twice will kill them commercially.

I guess he means the whole thing went really creepy. with guitar tuning and Touru's vocals going down and under and stuff.

compare this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xksqNfg1PFQ

and this

I don't hear it nor see it.

if their recent singles are actually representing the album's direction, I'll be there for it.

I hope they recognize that pulling DSS twice will kill them commercially.

Please explain why and how.

Please explain why and how.

you'll figure stuff out once you get into my posts' overall vibe, I'm too lazy to re-type like two years worth of DSS ramblings again and again.

in short, different sense and hageshisato were both promising singles for a shitty album. this album's single material sounds cool and somewhat promising and I see where they're getting back in their sound, which is good.

you'll figure stuff out once you get into my posts' overall vibe, I'm too lazy to re-type like two years worth of DSS ramblings again and again.

in short, different sense and hageshisato were both promising singles for a shitty album. this album's single material sounds cool and somewhat promising and I see where they're getting back in their sound, which is good.

In short, you just didn't like the album. To each their own I suppose, but I doubt that one person not buying their next album would spell doom for the entire band.

so i didn't want to write in this thread because all i have to say really is:
 i like it!
i can't wait! :)

but since i am bored here more unnecessary thoughts :

for me who doesn't like the high meow voice, i actually i like this a lot. also the only thing that this sample reminds me is unraveling.
i don't undertand how people say it reminds older albums but if this thought  makes you more excited,i don't want to spoil it. keep being excited :)

also i see the nu metal influence(someone said above) in the studio version image. i like the video.
but  kyo reminds me something i have seen.example in Pay money To my Pain  type of bands.

(i don't mind though. i have no opinion on this.)

(edit:personally i don't know if it is marketing but i kind find it adorable for some reason that he reminded me that , now)

(edit2: &i don't think this nu-metal style/image influence is new anyway. it is be going on forever. just in this studio seemed more vivid )

edit 3: i think i will always prefer something without falsetto though

omg lol sorry with my edits

In short, you just didn't like the album. To each their own I suppose, but I doubt that one person not buying their next album would spell doom for the entire band.

http://www.oricon.co.jp/prof/artist/6902/ranking/cd_album/ this is the first thing DEG fans need to see before assuming something about their latest efforts having been somewhat "successful" commercially (and nekkichi is definitely not the only one to dislike the album - read: major population of Japanese music listeners (being able to somewhat read the language made me able to see harsh criticism in such places as 2ch for instance))

And they (the band) actually took it into account! Notice the high, commercial value of Rinkaku - no wonder that they managed to land themselves back on proper TV airing ever since their "comeback" with

(2008 - and Hageshisato's case was basically fandom's presumptions of it being full-on clean vocal-fest until the full song came out (check the diagrams) -> applies to "THE UNRAVELING" case as well (well, of course it would gather lost fans back with "the combination of old and new"-slogan)

If you think that they don't acknowledge their flips and flops at all, then tell me: what was the point of remastered/expanded Uroboros + dozens of Uroboros promotion tours for 2+ years then? Definitely not faux-artistry of "willing to express the world of Uroboros further" ! Oh, and if they wanted to go really avant-garde/"fuck the major music sense"-type of way, they wouldn't do Vanitas/Lotus either (those two stick out like sore thumbs anyway, why? They are obvious "old fan staplers", I say)

So yeah, if they kept their wits - they will make their next album much more commercial (aka "listenable" major music thinking-wise) than DSS was. And like nekkichi, I would be actually pleased too if that really happened - in fact, on topic-wise, I think "STU" will retain the commercial value too!

I apologize for going severely off-topic , MH staff.

Maybe they remastered Uroboros because because they weren't satisfied with the end product? That wouldn't have been a unique case, you know. Things like that doesn't always have to have a deeper meaning or anything.

Maybe they remastered Uroboros because because they weren't satisfied with the end product? That wouldn't have been a unique case, you know. Things like that doesn't always have to have a deeper meaning or anything.

I would think that way too if it only wasn't for TWO Uroboros-themed stadium gigs (2010 and 2012) and long-term riding on Uroboros fame (remastered Uroboros pretty much was the side-product of their 2nd stadium gig promotion).

i like dss but it is  strange and not mainsteam/commercial sound.
japan is a country that mostly loves pop boring songs, so there is no surprise to me.
i can not deal with their top charts are very pop and boring to me.

why they didn't succes in america where bands like tool exist.not my place to say.
maybe you need a good sponsor as they said . also in a band like deg in my opinion you need to understand the lyrics
and they can not sing in english and sound good in english for deg seems impossible. the results was awful to me.
i mean sure bands like rammstein success but are fucking simple and mainstream metal

(also in europe they make us choose german or french to learn in school. the majority pretty much more familar than japanese)

one of my favorite albums ever is withering to death sound/type of music but i like every album to be honest.
why do they care anyway and they just don't do whatever they like. of course i love that our opinion matters but not to the point if they make fake songs just to be likeable.

lolol why don't you make half album a mess however you like and the other half more mainstream to see what songs will people choose LOL

i think most rock bands that succed just did whatever they liked and it was an accident.

pop probably is very controled

I'm not gonna argue with that as I don't know anything about their reasons for doing what they do. But a band can do something because they feel it's needed, while they do something else because they want money. I don't see why that couldn't be the case here. It's also possible they played two Uroboros themed concerts because they were really, really satisfied with it and felt more people should experience it. But why didn't they do it all in 2010? Because they wanted a break? That's also a possibility.

But as I said, I don't know. I don't read interviews with Dir en grey (or anyone who has anything to do with Dir en grey), so I wouldn't know much about this.

I would think that way too if it only wasn't for TWO Uroboros-themed stadium gigs (2010 and 2012) and long-term riding on Uroboros fame (remastered Uroboros pretty much was the side-product of their 2nd stadium gig promotion).

Yeah, and their two Budokan concerts this year are called Dum Spiro Spero. What now? Most tours are riding on the "DSS ride" too if you consider all the Latin names and how they kept Kyokutou no Nari for the entirety of the tour.

We just don't know what they did guise. To keep arguing that Dir en grey wants X or wants Y is just pretty stupid. For all we know they could be trying to become a boyband but they could have done that before if they wanted too. Could've just stayed in the Yokan train.

i am out of subject .
i think being ambitious is very smart characteristic. (and not bad)
and not being arrogant and care about your fans is very lovable characteristic. (especcially in succesful bands that can sell more easy)
but there is a cool line where you must say "i'll do what i want " and stay true to yourself
and deg always had that anyway. they were always strange.

i mean idealism like "i only care about my art and not success". will probably keep you underground in real world.unless you are very talented or lucky.
also there is probably always pressure from the music company or someone

@ Perez: 100 % of what you're saying is based entirely on conjecture and baseless assumptions. It's fine to speculate; but to do so in such a way is counterintuitive to basic logic and rationality. First, don't pretend like you understand how bands work (especially in Japan). You don't know that, I don't know that. Second, you're assuming that Dir en grey changing their sound is reaction to poor domestic sales? Not only has the band been open about them not being in music for anyone but themselves; but any opportunity for them to expand in other markets were declined by the band (see: singing in English and deciding not to do it anymore because they didn't want to).

Also, you're assuming that Dir en grey stuck with an Uroboros tour because they didn't like Dum Spiro Spero? That's plain ridiculous. It could honestly be any amount of reasons. It could even be something as obvious as Kyo's vocals not being able to sustain doing DSS material (reported health problems during production, and health problems during DSS tours). If that assumption was true (switching to Uroboros because they didn't like Dum Spiro Spero) they would not have continued playing DSS material and, they would not have an upcoming end to the "Dum Spiro Spero era". By that "logic" (or lack thereof), they would have immediately phased out any DSS. They haven't.

In the end, I can understand just typing some wild speculation (it's a forum after all); but try to be rational when doing so, because it's never as simple as you try to boil it down.

oh! no worries bb, it's not one person, and I never bothered buying their past-2005 releases anyway. you're late for DSS discussion, I've thrown oricon links and done the fair share of speculation/exposing. Pretsy takes the wheel lmao.

enjoy your stanning while you're here, and def. enjoy the band before you'll be moving on in ~ 2 years.

You don't know that, I don't know that. Second, you're assuming that Dir en grey changing their sound is reaction to poor domestic sales?

dude, they turned 180 and went almost full on 2004-06 VK with all their promotion starting with rinkaku, and this video is essentially what they did in late vulgar/WTD eras visual-wise, except it's 2013 and kyo is balding.

sound change or not, if you don't see this, please don't pretend you know how bands work in Japan.

Please refer to where I said "You don't know that, I don't know that". I am making it very clear that I am not pretending to have some knowledge that others don't. Turned 180? Even though complete hyperbole, I can understand why you would say that; but that does not make it necessarily correct. This wasn't some "180". This was a gradual change per the band. Take all of their tours from the past 3 years and compare the evolution of their look. This has been in development for a while and is not necessarily sudden.

And "Video is essentially what they did in late vulgar / WTD eras visual-wise"? You mean, the same visuals they have been using for pretty much their entire career? Their latest PVs suggest no extreme departure.

Also, I fear you have mistaken my entire point to posting. My post was not to deny whatever the few of you are rambling about; but instead to offer caution because of WHAT you're arguing is baseless and unfit for conversation. If we want to make up a bunch of ridiculous fan theories, awesome, we should have a place to do that; but that said place is probably best left separate from the "News" section. I understand that you think you have this all figured out; but practicing caution would yield that what you're saying is nothing more than conjecture and poor speculation. If we are to have this conversation, facts need to be involved. And since the band has indicated otherwise, I feel we should hold off on these ridiculous discussions for now.

Good point. All I can add to that as a final thought is this: ..if people want to find something, they do find something. Now let's get on topic again.

Pl

This was a gradual change per the band. Take all of their tours from the past 3 years and compare the evolution of their look. This has been in development for a while and is not necessarily sudden.

i agree i mean there is always a time when you calm down lol. like when you discover something and being obsessed but when you are a fan for a long time you calm down a little xD

i think they like dss . they always support their latest. i don't see every interview but  i randomly saw, they say

when they been asked. to listen to the latest album

that means unraveling or dss

I'd feel a little sad if they move on from the dss sound, I really like that style. I'm not gonna call it drone on it's entirety but I hear an inspiration from the genre, and since I'm a fan of that I'm ok with it. DEG is my favorite band since the release of vulgar and I love every thing they've put out, ok maybe the remakes of the unraveling weren't that good, for me at least but I have to agree with what you all have said, they need to release something more commercial or listeanable, call it what you want, but please not all of their songs, I'd like to hear 3 or 2 songs on that "slowpoke metal" style if they release a new album.

Well, back on topic, I'm liking what I'm hearing right here, maybe a lot more than unraveling :)

Sign in to follow this