CAT5

How To Describe The Music You Love!

Here's a great little article about finding a way to convincingly describe the music you love without necessarily rattling off often meaningless genres/sub-genres.

You are absolutely right about the word "alternative" — when you start to suspect that a term has been warped into nothingness, it's usually wise to chase that feeling. "Alternative," like "indie" or "hipster," can provoke reflexive disdain, and doesn't evoke a sound or give anyone a reason to care. And what we're really talking about is just that: giving your friends a reason to seek out the bands you like.

Think of talking about your favorite bands the way you'd think of any persuasive argument, and start by asking, "Why should people care?" In the case of music, interrogate yourself a little bit: "Why do I like it? What does it evoke in me, or say to me? Why does it matter?" It's fine to say that Dawes plays bittersweet Southern California folk-rock with smart, personal lyrics; that's a perfectly apt description. But why do you like it, specifically? Maybe it's the energy and passion of the live shows, or an ability to mix energetic barroom rock 'n' roll with a thoughtful ballad like "A Little Bit of Everything," which actually aims to break down the meaning of life. For many fans and many bands — certainly for the ones you describe — talking about music isn't that far removed from talking about feelings.

more here: http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2013/06/06/189205253/the-good-listener-how-do-you-describe-the-music-you-love?sc=fb&cc=fmp

The only words I can use to describe my music is "just right." It's just that type of sense you get that make you feel at home.

When I began to listen to Jrock specifically, I felt as if it was a part of me that had been missing for a long time. I even remember the first CD I received from this older girl I liked, as she taught me the basics. The tracks that played just shot at me with a "whoa" feeling. I played that CD for hours on end, week after week, not knowing or even caring who or what genre they were playing. It was just that deep.

It's not the type of music that gets stuck in your head due to it being catchy, but more of a type of music that made me understand a little more as I played it back. From just one track, I could feel the theme and the emotion that they were trying to convey regardless of the fact that I had no idea what they were saying.

Take for Example the GazettE - July 8 

I listened to that track for years, remembering every note, every word, and every emotion that I felt, learning something new every time I listened to it.

It almost felt like the GazettE had taken a deep look into my heart and managed to play back to me, a song with the exact emotion that I felt at the time.

Eventually, I looked up the track's translation in English and I was shocked to find out that this song, this song that I had known for years and sang along with so many times because I felt like it was for me, was EXACTLY as I had come to know it by, all I could say was " I can't believe it. I was right all these years...." 

There are tracks that have no equal. Tracks that feel as if they were made for your ears only.

I'm very glad that you brought this up as i had almost forgotten why I even began to listen to Jrock in the first place.

is it really necessary to illustrate a smw smart text with completely irrelevant bands

the only feeling their examples invoked in me is that none of those will ever have successful recording careers

(I'm not implying "underrated" rn, I'm implying they're plain bad)

My taste in music is as follows:

grraahhhh sqreee aaahhhh grrrrrrrr~*~out of tune clean vocals~*~grraaaaahhhhh iieeeeeee -|- Remix of Bach's Tocatta and Fugue in D Minor Here -|- overlaying chugging guitar riffs, occasionally broken up by acoustic arpeggios and low budget dubbing effects for filler 3rd and 4th rhythm guitar parts

is it really necessary to illustrate a smw smart text with completely irrelevant bands

the only feeling their examples invoked in me is that none of those will ever have successful recording careers

(I'm not implying "underrated" rn, I'm implying they're plain bad)

I think you missed the point of this thread.

My taste in music can be summarized in this order:

How interesting the melody is: Whether it be the notes played, an unique or complex way of how the riffs are played, how melodies intertwine or play off each other, etc...

Vocalist: A boring song can be saved with a beautiful vocalist. It could be a song only consisting of 3 different power chords and if the vocalists sounds amazing (Gackt back in the day, Satsuki, Isshi, etc)...I could be sucked into that song easily.

How catchy it is: I'm a huge fan of catchy chorus lines. I remember I listened to Fairy Tale Gothic by Metis Gretel over and over because the vocal melody in the chorus was addictive to me despite me not liking any other parts of the song. It's becomes so bad at times, I've actually purchase CDs of bands I didn't particularly like so much just because a couple of their songs have had some really catchy parts to it.

How energetic it is: Sometimes I just feel like head banging and jumping around. I don't mind the all open note, chugga lugga, and breakdown fun.

Other genre references: I like when rock bands can take a moment out to possibly do a dub step sequence or like rnb/pop/hip hop, etc type thing in the middle of their songs. It's very interesting....it also probably has to do with the fact that my best friend is a DJ so I hear a lot of it all the time. I guess it kind of hits me on a different personal level...I do not like however when VK uses jazz influence...

A mixture of an overcast day, a trendy college coffee shop, a rodeo barrel race, and a 2AM drive on the interstate highway is the best way I can sum up my music taste. . . 

M.

Vocalist: A boring song can be saved with a beautiful vocalist. It could be a song only consisting of 3 different power chords and if the vocalists sounds amazing (Gackt back in the day, Satsuki, Isshi, etc)...I could be sucked into that song easily.

the sound of the voice is  important to me. omg how amazing are some voices.

anyway

but you can not say things like:  omg this song can  take my soul away or this song can make you have an orgasm lol

i don't remember me wanting to describe the music i like. except in review in forums or here in threads.

at this point i don't really care to describe my music to anyone else. except if i am having a conversation with people who already like the same. to be honest i will even be a snob if i know this person is too mainstream in the mind and i will just say rock and go away.

if others are going to listen to your music it depends of how open minded they are in trying things in music themselves and if they care about music generally.but if you want to make someone listen anyway you have to find elements of what he likes in your music and advertise those. like be a psychologist a little.

also  if i had a friend in real life that kept annoying me about his favorite bands i would end up trying them but not on my own.

generally i would like a review that does what the article says.i think it would be the most interesting review. especcially when people say :

"Why do I like it? What does it evoke in me, or say to me? Why does it matter?"

For me to fully enjoy music, the guitarwork needs to be varied and outstanding. Those are the songs that make me go "OH YES THIS IS FANTASTIC". Songs with just standard riffs that I've heard dozens of times before don't really do it for me. I also agree that a vocalist can make or break a song. I've heard so many songs which had great instrumentals but then the vocalist comes in and I just go like "urgh, this would've been so great if he hadn't used that specific high pitch" or "if someone else would've sung this it would've been great".

Of course there are also vocalists you need to get used to in order to realize how fantastic they match the music, take TK from Rin Toshite Sigure. When I first heard him he annoyed me very thoroughly with his almost yelling high-pitched vocals, but with chaotic, yet organized music like Rin's, TK fits perfectly with the whole bunch I later realized.

yeah but sakurai has one of the most awesome voices.sorry that was random but i couldn't resist with the above.
i want to add i agree  of course someone and i can enjoy music with weird vocals sometimes are unique or catchy. but i don't think it could ever be my favorite now. i love so much and i am jealous of beautiful voices.

although i like a lot oz so... but his high voice annoys me but i don't mind it because the songs are great

the last years voice matters to me more and to not be a hypocrite.i think there was a time in my life that voice didn't matter to me as  much now. there are genres like punk or some alternative/indie that you don't care about beautiful voices but i get annoyed lately more

I can't. Of course I can say 'I like slightly out of tune singing.' or 'I like a prominent bassline.' but...

Describing what exactly makes me fall in love with song or album is impossible to put into words because of different reasons:

1)It's so many small elements in the music paired with so many small emotions and memories I connect with it that it's totally irrational. Once I try taking it apart and analyze it's all gone.

2)My love for certain songs or just voices is very, very strong (with tears and everything.//∇//)) but my language and mindset is very rational otherwise, so I can't put it in appropriate words at all.

3) I don't have to because I'm much much too ashamed anyway. Usually when people ask what kind of music I like I just try to change the topic. And if there's somebody who already likes similar stuff I'll just make them listen and they'll know what I mean.

I think nearly everyone missed the point of this thread lol.  It's not about what describes your taste in music or what you look for in "good" music, it's about how would you tell someone else exactly why you like a band or a song without going, oh it's catchy electro-dance pop and that's my jam man.  It's not even necessarily about telling someone why a band should be considered good, but why YOU enjoy listening to them.

Good article, to sum up. 

My taste in music is as follows:

grraahhhh sqreee aaahhhh grrrrrrrr~*~out of tune clean vocals~*~grraaaaahhhhh iieeeeeee -|- Remix of Bach's Tocatta and Fugue in D Minor Here -|- overlaying chugging guitar riffs, occasionally broken up by acoustic arpeggios and low budget dubbing effects for filler 3rd and 4th rhythm guitar parts

starting to like bands that do this, seems more fun to listen to

anyway by genre:

metal: I like the strong orchestral like atmsphere, something like a classical band but with more rock and distortion. This is why I like symphonic metal a lot. I mainly like the cleanly played guitars of neo-classical and power metal that way I can focus better on the guitar work and pick out the intricacies of the notes played. The groove and bad-ass vocals of classic heavy metal is a lot of fun to listen to which is what I mainly look for.

rock: Good vocals is a must and I typically try to look for a good guitarist or bassist that can compose a musical song and not the typical rock song. I have just noticed over the years of testing out bands that a good guitarists (that can hold a decent 20+ seconds of solo) will typically have a refreshing band to listen to. But good clean vocals is a must, no matter how much screaming or whatever happens on a song, to have. The interplay of the guitars and vocals is often my focus in enjoyment.

hip-hop:...ehh how many of ya'll actually listen to that stuff lol but it is my first love of a genre, the lyricism of this genre will never be matched