Pandabear

Xbox One

Xbox One

987eab.jpg

I had to make a thread for this. I own an Xbox 360 and I was curious to see what Microsoft would offer as it's next gen console. Like most people I'm hugely disappointed with the recent unveiling of the Xbox one. There are so many problems with it.  It's everything gamers don't want in a game console. A mandatory required internet connection to play games.(no offline gaming) The fact that you need to pay a fee to unlock used games, the fact that the kinnect needs to be connected to the console in order for it to work. And the name of course is pretty stupid and uninspired. I'm not a fan of it's design either. I don't mind that it has no backwards compatibility since this has to do with the new upgraded specs it will use along with the PS4 in order to play next gen games, but I've never seen a company mess up so bad before. Enough to have it stocks go down and then have stocks for its main competitor (Sony) go up. I might go back to a PlayStation after this. 

bgz9r6.png

All I can say is: booooo.

I bought an XBOX 360 a couple of years ago (luckily the new model that wouldn't crash every time somebody tried to play Final Fantasy XIII on it) and I'm pretty content with it console-wise, so of course I was curious too about the new XBOX. I was fairly disappointed. Here are a few things that bug me about the new console (please correct me if any of these statement turn out to be rumours):

- The fact that you need to be connected to the internet 24/7 in order to play, even if you're not playing online (my internet connection isn't too stable when more devices access the network, which is probably only going to get worse once a machine like the new Xbox is going to need its connection 24/7, even when I'm not online)

- The Kinect should be connected to the console at all times, even if you are not playing a Kinect game (I mean how is this relevant? I don't want a Kinect, in my opinion Kinect games are quite lame. The Kinect machine better be built in, because it'd be a total rip-off if MS would want you to buy a Kinect solely for the fact that otherwise your console just won't work)

- The fee to be able to play used games (now as far as I know when you buy games, they're going to be registered to your account and your account alone, meaning that if you want to play a used game, MS is going to charge you a fee in order to play it. Now there aren't any EXACT amounts out yet as far as I know, but the most recent one that popped up is that this fee is going to be around the price of the original game, as in, if you would've bought the game new at a store)

- The fact they spent more money on their new way of selling games and online connection than on actual processors (apparently Zess told me that the processors in this new XBOX are going to be drastically weaker than the ones in the XBOX 360 when compared to actual software. If that isn't the lamest shit you've ever seen then get out of my face).

I could probably name a few more, but so far I'm really not pleased with what the XBOX One is shaping up to be...I hope they'll improve stuff (or at least make a new one since the first XBOX 360 model wasn't too good either) but for now I'm more tempted to save money for a PS4 than an XBOX One.

> the processors in this new XBOX are going to be drastically weaker than the ones in the XBOX 360 when compared to actual software.

there haven't been any drastic advance in CPU technology in the past 5 or 7 years.

xbox one is a 64 bit intel (?) based system with 5 GB ram available for games, 3 GB taken by OS and background processes. xbox 360 is a power pc system with 512 MB RAM.

there won't be any drastic difference in graphics during the first wave of xbox one games compared to late 360 or native ps3 games.

kinect should be connected at all times because xbox one is using voice commands as primary input, so kinect is idling until you say "xbawx, lick me dry" - then it gets turned on and works.

I'm cautiously gloating atm, because the "one console = one entertainment centre" strategy never worked for ps3, however, the beer sipping, joint rolling redneck crowd could jump on this and bring their money to the devil.

and microsoft still has office and windows sales to back this shit up even it turns out a complete flop financially. 

I bought an XBOX 360 a couple of years ago (luckily the new model that wouldn't crash every time somebody tried to play Final Fantasy XIII on it) and I'm pretty content with it console-wise, so of course I was curious too about the new XBOX. I was fairly disappointed. Here are a few things that bug me about the new console (please correct me if any of these statement turn out to be rumours):[/b]Also very content with the 360. Bought a starters model, died out once on me, but after a repair still going strong =)

- The fact that you need to be connected to the internet 24/7 in order to play, even if you're not playing online (my internet connection isn't too stable when more devices access the network, which is probably only going to get worse once a machine like the new Xbox is going to need its connection 24/7, even when I'm not online)

As far as I know, it needs to be connected to the internet ones every 24 hours. Still fucking lame, but no 24/7 internet required

- Th

e Kinect should be connected to the console at all times, even if you are not playing a Kinect game (I mean how is this relevant? I don't want a Kinect, in my opinion Kinect games are quite lame. The Kinect machine better be built in, because it'd be a total rip-off if MS would want you to buy a Kinect solely for the fact that otherwise your console just won't work)

Included are both one controller and one kinect camera. But yeah, required is fucking lame. My game room was too small for the old kinect (as in, I can't get far enough of the screen to stand correctly in front of the camera), so if I buy it, I have to put it in the living room...

- The fee to be able to play used games (now as far as I know when you buy games, they're going to be registered to your account and your account alone, meaning that if you want to play a used game, MS is going to charge you a fee in order to play it. Now there aren't any EXACT amounts out yet as far as I know, but the most recent one that popped up is that this fee is going to be around the price of the original game, as in, if you would've bought the game new at a store)

No specific details about this yet, and I'm very curious how they gonna handle this. I hope it goes as following

I buy the game in the store, full retail price. With this game comes 1 code to actually play the game. When I want to sell the game, I remove the game from my HDD and I revoke the code I put in. So the code comes available again, and someone else can install and play the game. If I don't revoke the code, and I loan it to someone else, he/she has to pay for another code...

It's a fuck u to whoever shares games with others, but as far as I can see, this should be the best option, unless they scrap this idea completely...

- The fact they spent more money on their new way of selling games and online connection than on actual processors (apparently Zess told me that the processors in this new XBOX are going to be drastically weaker than the ones in the XBOX 360 when compared to actual software. If that isn't the lamest shit you've ever seen then get out of my face).

Factsheets have not yet been published, so there aren't any details available over the actual processors. Only thing we know now is that the X1 uses 8GB DDR3, while the PS4 uses 8GB DDR5. Still doesn't mean anything actually (I've been told). The DDR3 is better in other specific ways than the DDR5 is, though overall, the DDR5 is better. It all depends as how it is used

Niw, I'm also not convinced by the X1, but that said, I'm also not convinced by the PS4 either. They could have a big bang if they announced they don't change the 2nd hand market as it is now, but they keep quiet...

I guess I sit this one out, which will be hard I guess. Starting the PS2, I had all consoles afterwards on day one (except the Wii fuck U).

And everyone that keeps bitching on it not having games. It was announced this announcement would focus on the new features, and that the games will be announced during the E3...

Guess I'll be going back to the PC for gaming, or I might go for the Steambox =)

> the processors in this new XBOX are going to be drastically weaker than the ones in the XBOX 360 when compared to actual software.

there haven't been any drastic advance in CPU technology in the past 5 or 7 years.

xbox one is a 64 bit intel (?) based system with 5 GB ram available for games, 3 GB taken by OS and background processes. xbox 360 is a power pc system with 512 MB RAM.

there won't be any drastic difference in graphics during the first wave of xbox one games compared to late 360 or native ps3 games.

kinect should be connected at all times because xbox one is using voice commands as primary input, so kinect is idling until you say "xbawx, lick me dry" - then it gets turned on and works.

I'm cautiously gloating atm, because the "one console = one entertainment centre" strategy never worked for ps3, however, the beer sipping, joint rolling redneck crowd could jump on this and bring their money to the devil.

and microsoft still has office and windows sales to back this shit up even it turns out a complete flop financially. 

Since Windows 8 sort of sucked I didn't expect much more from the XBOX One tbqh, lol.

I guess that if no sheets are out yet we can't say anything about the processors yet. I at least hope they're decent and don't repeat whatever happened to the first series of XBOX 360s (as in, the whole story that the device would overheat because the console wasn't strong enough to play newer games like Final Fantasy XIII). I hope at least it matches up to the amount of time and money they spent on their new sales system and Kinect system.

Oh, so that's what Kinect does for it. Zess said yesterday: you could be fapping on the couch in front of the TV, someone would call you and your wrist movement would activate the console. Talk about embarrassing, lol.

So first primer: don't fap in front of your XBOX One.

CPU doesn't matter much, RAM and graphic card do. a weaker CPU means less production costs, but it doesn't mean weaker graphics or anything. I'm not even sure games use it much, except for AI - all physics and cloth/hair simulation are GPU accelerated.

the 360 CPU issue is a matter of poor quality check or rushed production, if anything.

xbox, fap and gesture termination situation does not seem realistic (unless billyboys moan "xbawx, stick it in my backdoor" - and it happens);
however, microsoft patented this

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=%2220120278904%22.PGNR.&OS=DN/20120278904&RS=DN/20120278904

1. A method of distributing content to a user, comprising: providing a selection of content available to the user; for each content, presenting a licensing option comprising associating a performance of the content with an individual user's consumption of the content at a display device; receiving a selection of one of the content and a license display option for said content; presenting the content to the display device if a number of user performances allowed for the content is equal to or less than the license option for which the selection is received; and monitoring the presentation of the content at the device to determine the number of users consuming the content during the performance.

8. A computer implemented method for distributing limited play content to a user, comprising: transmitting a selection of audiovisual content to a display device, each content having one or more associated license option, each license option allowing a specified number one or more presentations to one or more users on the display device; receiving a selection of one of the content and a selection of a licensing option for said content; determining a number of users at the display device prior to presenting the content; presenting the content on the display device if the number of users at the display device is equal to or lower than that specified in the licensing option; and monitoring the presentation of the content to determine a number of viewers of the content during presentation of the content at the display device.

so it will basically track number of people watching vidya, footbawl and playing games, and will possibly charge more for super-bowel team-viewing in perspective.

and given microsoft's naughty little habit of leaking user data, dating back to windows xp, it's possible they will at least collect some data for marketing purpose, or will film you fapping and sell it to your parents.

windows 8 sucked, as well as flop surface slate, and flop windows 8 mobile, however, they still ship an insame amount of windows 8 units (basically, any branded PC sold by dell, toshiba, HP., etc. is giving microsoft profits), windows 7 sales are going strong, and office/corporate software is where most of their money still is.

tumblr_mnbxeo77RZ1qa64bjo1_1280.png

Thought this was relevant. Lol.

^ Thanks for the insight on the processor/CPU thing btw.

I don't like it.

I feel like it's trying to push all my other electronics aside and be all USE ME and not in an easy intuitive way.

Wii U is super accessible in comparison and instead works nicely alongside my other electronics. I pick up the pad and have control over my tv and cable

instantly with the touch screen. No need to re-route wires or pay for extra features.

Also Xbox seems to give out everything at once.

The console's specifications look fine to me, borderline awesome even, and I'm sure there'll be a bunch of great games coming up for the Xbox One.

The incomplete announcements and mysteries surrounding playability of second-hand games make me believe they're just trying to get a grip on the response to such a system... so they can still adjust their ways later on if the general response are extremely negative. Which makes me believe that there's still a chance they'll rethink their ideas and possibly ditch them altogether.

But even if they were to ditch their "pay extra to activate and play a second-hand game" idea, the Kinect thing is still quite scary though. There is no way I would ever connect a camera to a console and give it permission to see what I'm doing all the time. This alone would push me towards a PS4 or possibly no console at all... but a better PC instead.

I think reactions on the internet are fierce and agressive and rightfully so but I fear many people will eventually buy the console anyway (with the Kinect requirement, with the internet requirement and with unattractive second-hand games) and say something along the lines of: "ah, it's not that bad... after all... I'VE GOT NOTHING TO HIDE, RIGHT?".

The Xbox One will still be a commercial success if Microsoft succesfully convinces the dumb masses and desperate fanboys that it's 'essential' and 'groundbreaking' and come up with another series of games in the veins of Halo and Call of Duty and those karaoke 'party' games in which you must sing Taylor Swift songs or dance to some electronic pop music. People actually pay for that stuff and will continue to do say even if it means selling their souls to corporations, giving up their privacy and getting screwed with overpriced second-hand stuff.

One of my boyfriend's friends said he will still be getting an Xbox One because he "likes football." He sells video game products for a living (not at GameStop) so we were both surprised that he would be buying the console based on the information currently released.

Sadly, my boyfriend wants to collect them all when it comes to consoles (a NeoGeo?! Really?! Ugh.... -_-), so he's still considering the Xbox One. I won't buy one and I won't help pay for his if he does decide to buy one.
The used game fee wouldn't bother him too much because he's always preordering the special editions of games and rarely buys used (except for PS2 and older). What WOULD bother him is the 500GB HD. With all the mandatory installs and our save files, that would fill up rather quickly (his 320GB PS3 was 90% full in under a year despite him actively deleting stuff). Uninstalling and reinstalling games would be a pain in the arse. I just want to put the disc in and play right away!

I'm sure he's said more about it, but tbh I tend to tune him out when he's ranting about games.

^ I'm sure there are people who will still buy the Xbox One despite all the horrible restrictions it comes with, however I don't think it will be enough to save the console or that Microsoft will succeeded in convincing enough people to purchase it. It just sucks so much. I know I don't plan on buying it. And if the PS4 implements a similar format, the requiring an internet connection and paying fees to unlock used games then I'm not getting that either. Those are giant middle fingers to consumers and gamers and although I don't really play a lot of games or buy used games for that matter, I'm bothered by the fact that a corporation would seek to take control of my freedoms as a consumer. I'm sure there are other people who feel the same and won't buy any console that uses such a format as a form of protest. 

Microsoft apparently has a special division for the sole purpose of disproving negative feedback and spreading positive buzz on sites like Reddit, probably in other places too. Pathetic.

I'm not sure there was an update to this but they have a special division of stupidity and embarrassment apparently — https://twitter.com/stevetilley/status/342289498924789760

as they had engineers resolve surface's flop start ( = an artist geared device is finally working with photoshop half year or so after release), this division can finally focus solely on xbone north american launch

EU and Asian launch cringes coming later

There were also rumours that Microsoft has been approaching independent game designers who would also be presenting games at E3 to NOT promote or show any PS4 games, but in trade for money only promote the Xbox One versions of the games. If that's true I don't know. It's fairly possible that this has been going on for years and that there's only attention for it now due too the huge amount of negative feedback on the Xbox One (and they're trying to make it all look even worse than it already is).

considering indie studios can not publish xbone games directly (they have to sign a deal with a bigger house), this doesn't sound credible, but who knows.

microflop ways are amusing.

one thing they have successfully done already at this point is making a fraction of die-hard xbox stans consider getting a ps4, and that is an incredible achievement PR wise.

iAnjSI4iSFtIy.gif

I'm going to guess with "independent game producers" they meant the companies like Ubisoft and Square Enix who make games for the consoles, not the indie ones that make stuff for Xbox Live and PS Network (considering the fact that independent game designers will probably lose all of their market when the Xbox One releases, as it won't allow them to publish their stuff there anymore). The article wasn't very specific about it, but then again, someone could use the wrong term for it and it would change the entire point of the story.

Also lol @ that gif.

would have believed those rumors a year ago, but if ubi or square enix have any ps4/xbone titles in production, microsoft would have sealed the promotion deal way before e3, like they did with EA exclusive content.

also don't really care for ubi, unless they release mylene farmer timeless dans de twerques for european ps4 launch, but that's just me.

My main excitement for Ubisoft lies higher than Squeenix this year, mostly because of AC4 Black Flag in comparison to Final Fantasy XIII-3: Lightning Returns. General expectations are not too high after Connor "why did we replace Haytham" Kenway, but it at least seems more exciting than the new Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy XIII should've stayed one game, XIII-3 will probably not be much better than XIII-2.

I didn't see the reports on E3 yet, but what did Squeenix present? I assume XIII-3, "we're still working on Versus", and perhaps a spoof for KH3?

About licensing, sharing, selling and the cloud system, here's an interesting listen

So you can share your library with 10 family members at any time on any given X1. Not sure how they can verify if someone's a family member or not, so it should also be possible to add friends to it, and share games that way..

Not definitive if you can play the same game at the same time, and apparently you can only get online with 2 persons at the same time...

And besides that, you can access your own library on a friends X1 with your own account logged in. But you need to verificate online every hour (instead of once a day on your own X1)

About reselling, publishers decide. So it's not up to MS, but up to EA, Ubi, Activision etc.

About trading, only with peepz that are over 30 days friends with you on XBL (so no ebay selling allowed)

Kinect can be paused and turned off, so it won't be recording all the time.

I love the Cloud idea, as it is a steam-like system, but then more innovated...

I hate the reselling/trading system

I for one really don't mind the reselling/trading system as I only got like 1 or 2 used games in my current library of this gen. The sharing however can be tricky, I shared a shitload of games with some friends and family, but as long as they're on my familylist, that can also be solved with the cloud-sharing.

^ Well that pretty much does it for me, I'm not buying the Xbox one. I'm at least glad publishers will be releasing some next gen games for xbox 360 and ps3, so I'll be to play some games I've been looking forward too like Mirror's Edge 2.

so, Sai's rumor is confirmed through a neogaf source:

> Microsoft is buying out publishers to not mention the PS4 versions of multi-platform titles, so you can assume if the presenter does not say "EXCLUSIVE TO XBOX ONE", that it will also be on PS4.
> More in depth DRM info at Gamescom. There is no rental strategy, they're trying to just sweep it under the rug and hope people don't remember.
> Cloud power was designed as DRM. It was Microsoft's idea, and they approached other publishers. EA and Ubisoft support, Activision slightly less so.
> DRM plans are worse than what they have said.
> Mirror's Edge 2 at MS conference.
> Prince of Persia (reboot?) at MS conference.
> Secret Phil Spencer game = World of Tanks. It is said that you still need Gold to play F2P games?
> Paywall for Xbox One.
> Dead Rising 3 as Xbox One exclusive. Exclusive DLC for another Capcom game.
> No paywall for PS4, but it's unconfirmed.
> Sony is very tight on their DRM policies, so no DRM info

there's also another rumor coming, that unless microflop is announcing xbone specs today, the video chip is getting another downgrade, making their GPU about 30 % slower than ps4s. 

which, given less RAM allowed for use by game apps, doesn't look good, especially in perspective of 3 or 5 years, when developers will know how to better optimize their engines for ps4 hardware.