digi

Bands that you respect but don't like (musically)

I think I am going to file Demetori in tot he category for me. They are super talented, no questions there, and I do really like some of their songs. Hell, I don't mind them over all, but most of their music just come off as so cheesy. The drummer, who playing ability is awesome, doesn't seem to know how to take things easy. It's always "GO GO GO!!!!" so the pace of some songs often feel really forced in spots.

emmuree,its weird because i absolutely love these kind of so call nagoya kei music.i've been trying to get into them since they first started....

One of the bands that I respect, but don't necessarily like, is Oblivion Dust. For some reason, their sound just doesn't captivate me. I did like K.A.Z's other projects though, such as VAMPS and his collaboration with Anna Tsuchiya.

Miyavi is all I can think of right now. I like a few songs but I never really got into his music. He is talented for sure though, and after talking to him I've come to respect him even more as a person too.

Slipknot, they're still doing all that stupid mask teenage angst faggotry but they're still doing it! Not like the other terribad 90s nu-metal bands that turned into shitty ass pop rock y'know? 10-15 years later abd Slipknot is still being angsty faggots, RESPECT.

Lol. I don't mind bands wearing stupid masks, it's just the fact that they consciously try to appeal to angsty 12-year-olds that pisses me off. I like some of their songs, but not all of them are very interesting.

Aside from that, basically every metal/power metal/symphonic metal/math metal/etc bands that play really well but don't always have catchy hooks and end up sounding too repetitive and boring.

I also respect X and Yoshiki for the astral magnitude of their success. But I'm not into X. Also Yoshiki the entrepreneur makes me facepalm every time, effective as his business methods may be. Oh and the fact that he's so "fuck yeah I'm a veekay god who lives in LA and I getz all teh white chicks". K bro you have the rights to do whatever you want because you worked hard for it...

DIR EN GREY. i just can't seem to get into their music no matter how hard i try :\ but i've got some mad respect for em so w/e

DIR EN GREY. i just can't seem to get into their music no matter how hard i try :\ but i've got some mad respect for em so w/e

Agreed. I hate their music, yet they've achieved a lot, there's no denying of that.

Their fans on the other hand...

The gazette? I don't know... I don't really disrespect much bands or musicians since i don't know them personally. But the gazette I hate musically. Especially the vocalist drives me crazy with his whiny never-really-get-the-right-tone voice.

I really dislike Kamijo's vocal style. He's a great person / personality, but his vibrato is incredibly improper and I cant stand the way he just holds notes until the very last second then attaches his shakey vibrato to it =\ For the kind of neo classical sophisticated instrumental music playing behind his voice he should have a natural and even vibrato not the kind he has been doing for versailles entire career.. I died when I heard about JUPITER and that its really just versailles with a new vocalist XD He sounds much better imo.

Sorry if it didnt fit the topic exactly. I like Kamijo and think hes talanted just not for me and the philharmonic neo classical style of Hizaki & Teru's compositions.

I agree, Kamijo can sing somehow, but he kind of does it in a "my peristaltic system is terribly blocked off for proper defecation for whatever reason, and I really feel too uncomfortable to take a dump right now" kind of way. He sounded better in Lareine, but he will always sound congested when raising his voice. He's not bad, but he needs proper vocal lessons.

I agree, Kamijo can sing somehow, but he kind of does it in a "my peristaltic system is terribly blocked off for proper defecation for whatever reason, and I really feel too uncomfortable to take a dump right now" kind of way. He sounded better in Lareine, but he will always sound congested when raising his voice. He's not bad, but he needs proper vocal lessons.

I would never believe someone would agree with me on this what with all the Kamijo fangirls around the world xD When I heard Hizaki Grace Projects vocals I almost died because he seemed to be such a perfect fit @.@ Its a shame he was already in another band and was only their session singer =( Hopefully ZIN is as good or as better has the HGP singer ❤

(^◡^)♪

Dir en grey. I respect them as musicians but of their discography there's probably only a small handful of songs I enjoy listening to. And X JAPAN. I hate them musically, but recognise what they've done for the ~scene~

On another note, I have zero respect for LOST ASH even though I liked some of their music because the members are gross, creepy and rude. 

L'Arc En Ciel, I tried many times listen this band but I just can't... I like HYDE's bands/projects but not this.

Malice Mizer, a piece of history but not mine tale. Mana doing better job with Moi dix Mois.

A band that comes to mind that I respect for their musicality but can't enjoy fully is Versailles. I have heard 3songs from them that appeal to my sensibilities. I strenuously try to feel as other people do when they hear them, but it just comes out as Power Metal ramped up to 11 with Victorian imagery.  For the songs, I do enjoy I do really enjoy though.

Another band which kind of pains is post-DIM scene, Gazette.  It's as though DIM was their magnum opus and everything after is them playing it safe, for sales. They have the musical chops, minus Ruki's nasal singing at parts. Yet, they sound neutered and trend following, like Metallica in the 90s and early 00s.

On a non-VK note, Mastodon from Blood Mountain onward. They just seemed to fizzle out on Metal and are now an overly talented rock band.

Maybe Nightmare. I like a bunch of their old songs, but I just cannot listen to their newer stuff (somewhere from 2006 on). Even the very name of the band seems ridiculous to me now ever since they sound nothing like a nightmare. O.o

Dir en Grey (I have seen them live and they are talented, just not my cup of tea) and L'arc. Their music never really interested me and kind of drove me to tears.

But, if we go the exact opposite, there are a TON of bands I love musically but have ZERO respect for as human beings. You realize how slimy most musicians are when you meet them. >.<

Actually... I think that may be an interesting topic...

Golden Bomber.

I mean... They're not at all talented musically-wise, but how they get a massive crowd going is just amazing. 

They're entertainers above musicians and I think VK should have more of such guys just being happy with what they do.