I don't get this. I can understand people being a bit sceptic before knowing who was gonna be the new vocalist, but as soon as it was revealed to be Floor Jansen I can't understand how people could be disappointed. By far the most talented vocalist of the three, and a vocalist who can pull off songs from both eras better than the previous vocalists themself.

Maybe it wasn't a question of talent here. Anette is a good vocalist, no one can deny it (and people who do this are Tarja's hysterical butthurt fans - go on yt's comment, this is wonderful of bad faith). Maybe he prefer her voice. I prefer Anette than Tarja if you ask me.

Floor on instagram:

" Don't like!
Who was the disrespectful 'fan' that put our single out before release? We work SO hard to create something special, in high quality! And you think it's ok to steal it? Dear REAL fans: this Èlan version is NOT official and sounds unlike the real thing!!!! Please wait for our official release next week on the 13th of February! And know that a single is one song, always impossible to cover the contents of an entire album in this one example :-) I red reactions based on this illegal spread monster and got sad to the bones with the words based on one song in poor quality illegally spread. Have patience and I have no doubt it will be rewarded ☺️ "

what do you think? it couldn't have been the real version 1 week before the actual release? And how the "fan" could already have the single before the release? idk.

Bands often give out promo and/or demo versions of singles (or sometimes just the main song) before the release date.... to friends, to other musicians, to news media, to radio, etc etc.  If what Floor said is correct, it sounds like a demo version was leaked by someone who got an advanced copy.  

Or maybe it was a promo copy of the actual single and when she said this leaked version "sounds unlike the real thing" ... maybe she meant the leaked version is a low quality, multi-transcoded poor representation of the high quality CD version.

Floor on instagram:

" Don't like!
Who was the disrespectful 'fan' that put our single out before release? We work SO hard to create something special, in high quality! And you think it's ok to steal it? Dear REAL fans: this Èlan version is NOT official and sounds unlike the real thing!!!! Please wait for our official release next week on the 13th of February! And know that a single is one song, always impossible to cover the contents of an entire album in this one example :-) I red reactions based on this illegal spread monster and got sad to the bones with the words based on one song in poor quality illegally spread. Have patience and I have no doubt it will be rewarded ☺️ "

what do you think? it couldn't have been the real version 1 week before the actual release? And how the "fan" could already have the single before the release? idk.

but as soon as it was revealed to be Floor Jansen I can't understand how people could be disappointed. By far the most talented vocalist of the three, and a vocalist who can pull off songs from both eras better than the previous vocalists themself.

simple. only if you know who Floor Jansen is.

it was the first time I actually heard anything about her when she was revealed as a substitute lead singer on a tour.

Maybe he prefer her voice. I prefer Anette than Tarja if you ask me.

so much YES.

oh yeah. a coupling song, Sagan has also leaked.

now that I gave both a couple of listens, Elan - yes, Sagan - no.

the latter is a very straightforward, uninteresting track.

makes sense that it didn't make it on an album.

I don't get this. I can understand people being a bit sceptic before knowing who was gonna be the new vocalist, but as soon as it was revealed to be Floor Jansen I can't understand how people could be disappointed. By far the most talented vocalist of the three, and a vocalist who can pull off songs from both eras better than the previous vocalists themself.

I'm gonna have to agree with Bear here. Tarja was a good vocalist, but she had her limitations as well. Limitations one would not notice until you start comparing her against vocalists in her league. Floor Jansen and Vibeke Stene can go toe to toe with Tarja and come out victorious, plus Floor can cover Anette-era songs better than Tarja could. I'm glad Floor is the vocalist this time around.

Nightwish with Anette was the most limited period of their formation. She had the least amount of range but the most accessibility in her voice. She was great if the objective was to be radio-friendly, and together with Holopainen's specially tailored compositions and their already aggressive marketing they made it work. Don't get me wrong when I say Anette was the worst vocalist they had. I liked Anette's voice and I liked Imaginaerum, but she's not in the same league as Floor and Tarja and never will be.

So, Elan is officially out (and the music video should follow very soon). I was tired to see butthurt NW whining in caps lock about something that defo happens today (+, 1 week before the release is not the death either, see Madonna's leak!).

So, what d'ya think? Well, Sagan is baaad xD Even Floor's voice can't save this boring song. I can't even remember it and i don't want to listen to it again.

Elan is ok. I really like the alternative version.

the video is so uninspired, and boring (and seriously Floor, this black dress is hideous xD).

I didn't listen to Sagan yet, but Elan was pretty cool and I'm excited to hear it in the context of the whole album. I really expected something more heavy, with more punch, like the riff in the beginning of Storytime, and so I was suprised and thought it as brave to choose Elan as a Single. But after a few spins the song grew on me and now I love it. In my opinion it flows very well, Holopainens lyrics are marvellous as always. And Jansens voice fits the song perfectly! 

I have listened to Élan several times now and yeah, I still like it but the song's weakness remains in the monotony. I mean, besides the fact that the song is kinda uninspired and sounds generic, the refrain comes after the verse almost without power. As a result, there is nothing to surprise the listener as the song has few variations and overall it is so predictable (and that's what makes it somewhat boring). In this regard, the alternative version is way better. Sagan is not bad, but it has a lot of flaws too. So overall the single could have been better. Anyway I just hope that they have picked an album filler to release this single. In which case we still can hope for an interesting album and if it's not so, well then.

My score:  :2.5:

Just heard Elan myself and I thought it was decent. It's not amazing, and it is a very standard single-song, but it's a catchy pop-rock track with memorable melodies that will get plenty of radio-plays and get new people interested. And they've really upgraded on both Tarja and Anette with Floor. Vocal-wise this is the most enjoyable I've heard from Nightwish since Angels Fall First, and Angels Fall First wasn't enjoyable because Tarja was talented, but because she was pretty shabby vocal-wise back then and I've always enjoyed that a lot.

And on top of being the band's best vocalist till now, Floor is also the most beautiful of the three. Gorgeous girl.

two songs off an album leaked today, Shudder Before The Beautiful and Yours Is An Empty Hope.

both turned out to be heavy, straightforward numbers with Once-ish guitars and harsh orchestra. totally not like Elan.

not even sure how to react since I'm not used to this kind of Nightwish.

impressive.

they put the song on yt

I'm still disappointed about Floor's vocals, she sounds a bit flat. I don't know...I think I'm expecting too much, I'm too conditioned by AF and ReVamp's powerful vocals I suppose. The best part of the song imo it's when the orchestra is taking the lead, in the middle; and the ending.

Sounds like a weak version of the previous albums (- the vocals which are way better). But musically it's just more of the same. The guitars adds nothing to the song at all, and I don't get why they bother having guitars there at all. Awfully boring.

I'd like to hear some new riff-heavy Nightwish with Floor on vocals. Something ala what they did from Angels Fall First to Wishmaster. Just write and add some proper riffs for fuck's sake.

Sounds like a weak version of the previous albums (- the vocals which are way better). But musically it's just more of the same. The guitars adds nothing to the song at all, and I don't get why they bother having guitars there at all. Awfully boring.

I'd like to hear some new riff-heavy Nightwish with Floor on vocals. Something ala what they did from Angels Fall First to Wishmaster. Just write and add some proper riffs for fuck's sake.

I'm pretty agree with your statement. I've noticed the boring and inexistant guitars too..it's so powerless, so is this the new NW?? I'm expecting so much more that that, especially now that Floor is here. But even when it was still Anette, there were songs more interesting (like Sahara for example). For now, both songs are meh.

moreover, the fact of self-repetition needs to be admitted.

if you listen carefully (which is not even required actually), you'll hear that the song is almost an exact copy of Master Passion Greed and Dark Chest Of Wonders.

at least guitar and orchestra-wise. the resemblance is painfully obvious.

if that wasn't enough, Yours Is An Empty Hope brings the same level of bitterness.

perhaps the only interesting thing about it is almost Arch Enemy-like vocal parts in the middle.

this is sad.

I don't hear Master Passion Greed, but I see your point with Dark Chest of Wonders. I think there is also a little bit of Storytime.

And i have to admit that I really like the song. It's nothing new, but it's a typical Nightwish song and that's enough for me :D

The album has leaked in its entirely. I'm listening right now....if there are no guitars it's because all the budget was put on the orchestra xDDD

I'm on the 7th track and I don't know, all the choruses sounds so...flat. it's flat, yea.

seriously, 24 min for the latest track it's TOO LONG.

Floor's vocals are really weak all along the record (ok, minus the ending of Shudder perhaps), don't listen to NW if you want to hear her at its fullest. what a disappointment.

moreover, the fact of self-repetition needs to be admitted.
if you listen carefully (which is not even required actually), you'll hear that the song is almost an exact copy of Master Passion Greed and Dark Chest Of Wonders.
at least guitar and orchestra-wise. the resemblance is painfully obvious.

Now that you've named it, I listened carefully Shudder...and I've heard it too (mainly Dark Chest)! you were totally right, It's the same type of song or chorus. :/

what's with the quality?

I kind of want to give a listen too but am afraid of spoiling first impression with poor quality.

should I wait for ten days left?

Shudder is 320, the rest is 192. it's good enough for a first impression but you can wait if you wish. sadly I'm not at home rn, otherwise I would have put a spek picture for you.

edit: here's the spek pictures if you want it

25530901NightwishShudderBeforeTheBeautif

21914802NightwishWeakFantasymp3.png