LIDL

MEGAUPLOAD execs search warrant ruled out as illegal

A New Zealand judge has ruled that investigators obtained evidence unlawfully in a search of Megaupload.com founder Kim Dotcom’s home, dealing a huge blow to the U.S. case against the online file-sharing company.

High Court Chief Justice Helen Winkelmann said in the ruling Thursday that warrants used by New Zealand authorities to conduct the search at the FBI's behest were too broadly defined and “did not adequately describe the offenses to which they were related.”

“Indeed, they fell well short of that,” she said in the 56-page ruling. “They were general warrants, and as such, are invalid.”

This is the latest setback in the U.S. government’s attempt to extradite Dotcom, a resident of New Zealand, on charges of copyright infringement and money laundering.

The government shut down the website in January, alleging that it was being used for illegal distribution of copyrighted content such as TV programs, movies, music and software. Dotcom has denied any wrongdoing.

In the ruling, Winkelmann also said that the FBI's duplication of data on Dotcom's hard drives and its removal from the country was unlawful. She also said the government should have laid out a process for sorting out relevant material from electronic storage devices related to the case.

A spokesman for the prosecution in the case against Megaupload declined to comment. Dotcom's extradition hearing is still set for August.

MegaUpload was advertised as having 180 million registered users, according to the original indictment.

SOURCE: http://www.latimes.com/business/technol ... 9393.story

In short if these news too intelligent for you,

Megaupload's founder has a better chance of acquittal aka internet is winning, kinda.

I understood that, yay. I'm used to reading these kind of files after all. It happens often that due a small error in the procedure an entire prosecution can fall into pieces. I remember this dude who forgot to take a warrant with him that he had obtained from the head prosecutor. Oops.

http://www.activistpost.com/2012/10/kim-dotcoms-megabox-promises-free-music.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ActivistPost+%28Activist+Post%29&utm_content=FaceBook

This service will be completely legal and cannot be considered pirating because all of the artists will be consenting and will be well compensated for their work. Their compensation will be provided by advertisements on the website, and they will be receiving 90% of the revenue, a much better deal than any record label gives today.

If implemented correctly, this service can connect artists directly to their fans, cutting out the middle man entirely and revolutionizing the industry in favor of music consumer and music producer, but at the expense of the record companies.

OH SHIT SON.

The idea is great to be honest because fuck record companies, seriously

However, it's not going to work simply because the record companies aren't going to let it happen

If all the upload links that used to be there gonna be back, that will really make my day.

I mostly downloaded from this service, but now on mediafire or rs almost everything that I find is unavaliable. All my rares on wishlist that I found were shut down on Megaupload so hope that I'll be able to get it :)

However, it's not going to work simply because the record companies aren't going to let it happen

Would be amazing if it did happen though

Would be amazing if it did happen though

I think it has a chance of working. Perhaps not for the super popular artist, but I think this could bode well for a lot of less popular artists. Smaller labels have adapted much better with the times and I think this will be just a continuation of this.

Heck, this reminds me a lot of what Bandcamp is, but in a very different way...and I LOVE the direction Bandcamp has been taking music.

I just now noticed that Megaupload is back online as MEGA (in beta-mode), with clear rules (you're not allowed to upload copyright material you don't own)

Apparently the creator of Megaupload started this new file site and should be an alternative to Dropbox and Google and Microsoft's cloud sharing services.

MEGA is avaliable here: https://mega.co.nz/

Maybe it's better than Dropbox, Basic account gets 50 GB storage and the files are private (but you can share to other users)

I like the concept, maybe I upload school work or vacation pics but don't want unkown people to find my download link on Google etc.

Will you use this or will you stick to Dropbox (or other services)?

for download you does have a key you has give to the uploader, so if you don't share with everybody, unknow poeple can't share it.

I have try to up something but I didn't have success, I will wait the site was at 100%

The good thing about mega is that the files will be encrypted while you upload the file, means that the owner of the site, doesn't know what you uploaded. So even if they claim that you are not allowed to upload copyright material, they can't control it, and with that are not at fault if someone uploads it.

Such a good Idea. Ha. I am so happy it's back, I liked megaupload a lot and I hope mega will work as good as megaupload.

I tried to upload something, but wasn't successful, let's see what happens if the site will work (but I managed to set up an account, even though it took one day for the confirmation Email to arrive)

I have success to upload one song, if you can try and say me if it's ok :

https://mega.co.nz/#!h9gzXIJb!E1kLm0eCHbzCRJPMFRYjL2eeh5QCYpJC-aflXVmm52I

I can't download, though I have no Idea why. Had the same problem yesterday, while I was trying to download one of my uploads.

I open the side, I click on download, the bar loads, and after 100% are full nothing happens. There were no files added to my download folder. My guess is that it happens because I use firefox.

I can't download, though I have no Idea why. Had the same problem yesterday, while I was trying to download one of my uploads.

I open the side, I click on download, the bar loads, and after 100% are full nothing happens. There were no files added to my download folder. My guess is that it happens because I use firefox.

100 % the same problem...and i also use firefox

Haven't made an account there yet, but I have just finished downloading a new album release from there. I'm using chrome and it got stuck at 93%, refreshed the page and the second time it downloaded without a hitch. it just started up again so bugs are expected. 

Is big shit if we does use chrome... I didn't want using this

I am pretty sure they will fix it in no time, and it will work with firefox too. And propably firefox is already trying to update the browser to get to the same standard like chrome.

Mega.co.nz developed a firefox add-on, that makes it now possible to download from mega with mozialle firefox *thumbs up*. After you click a download link you will be asked to install the extension.

I am so going to change to mega now