CAT5

2011 So Far...

Greetings, fellow MH-goers! Musically speaking, how is this year going for you all? Are there any 2011 releases that you are enjoying? Any disappointments? Or are you still waiting to hear some potentially kick-ass album? Discuss it all here!

I'll be back with my thoughts for the year so far, and maybe some 2011 releases that I've been enjoying.

Until then, what about YOU? :3

I can start ^_^

I thought that Electric Red's two singles were pretty good, especially Magical Astronomy. Thousand Leave's newest album "End of Endless Night" was also pretty good and right now I don't know which one I prefer more (in comparison to DEAD NIGHT BLIND). I still haven't given Onmyouza's new single a listen although considering their track record it's most likely solid. BORIS's NEW ALBUM was also a pleasant surprise, although I found parts of the album to be a little flat. Dir en grey's LOTUS single was average; LOTUS needed more progression and OBSCURE was crap but Reiketsu Nariseba was amazing. I also enjoyed Krypts' EP and felt that the production was fitting for the music. Maximum the Hormone's long awaited new single was OK, much better than the pre-Buiikikaesu material IMO but not as good as Tsume Tsume Tsume / F, although that's probably bias. I also downloaded Amia Venera Landscape's THE LONG PROCESSION and Scale the Summit's THE COLLECTIVE, both of which were great underappreciated releases.

The few visual releases that I anticipated sucked. Raise a Flag sucked. Cold Blood sucked. Lycaon's Jesus was OK - Pierrot sucked. DOGMA sucked. I'm at the point where Visual Kei is dead for me and I'm looking forward to new bands that have members from older bands that I enjoyed.

Right now I'm looking forward to Wintersun's potential new album, which is taking until the end of Time to be released. They've started making headway, so having hope that it will be released this year is warranted. Electric Red's new mini will also be interesting. I'm also looking forward to anything from Setsuna, whether it be under Kokuyasou or Ahnenerbe. UI-70's album was supposed to be out by now but with the earthquake postponing everything I don't know when I'll get to gear it. Despair's also releasing a new album and I found REWIRED RIOT TECHNOLOGY to be lame so I hope it's more in the vein of DESERTED TECHNOLOGY RIOT or BEAUTIFUL JAPANESE SCENE. Kyotaro's COCKROACH is releasing a new mini and I guess I'll give that a listen too, even though I haven't listened to THE EIGHT or Black:List in a while. Demetori's releasing a new album sometime this year and everything they do is epic so I want that definitely. Hopefully Diru gets their shit together this year and finally decide to release another album, although I'm iffy on this one since my preferences for their recent material go Warsaw no Gensou > LOTUS > Hageshisa... and I'm not sure if I want a completely new direction or a rehash of Uroboros.

Scratch that I want not a repeat of Uroboros.

As for visual kei the only two things I really want now are 'Helios' by Matenrou Opera and lynch.'s 'I Believe in Me'. I don't really care about Lycaon's new mini and BORN needs to stop releasing material and go on a creativity hiatus since they've been shitting out new material like clockwork and the quality's starting to dip.

Going chronologically, first was D's Vampire Saga, a pretty good album, much much better than 7th Rose, which was a bit of a disappointment. Then came January 26th, a day with 4 big releases. Girugamesh's GO was pop rock-ish, ok, but had some nice tracks. DeG's LOTUS was a dissapointment. Like Zesshoku said, it need more progression, ended too soon. Pay Money to My Pain's Remember the Name is one of the best of the year so far; heavier tracks and lighter songs balanced pretty well, a band that is growing and deserves more attention. Lastly, Crush's 90's VA Covers is really nice, some good covers, headlined by D covering Malice Mizer's Gekka no Yasoukyoku.

February started with BORN's DOGMA, a small letdown, comparing to their 3 minis last year, which blew me away. Alice Nine's Gemini surprised me, since I didn't even like them so much, but the GEMINI trilogy and Fuuin were pretty awesome. Kuroyume cover album was decent. coldrain's The Enemy Inside was good, but nothing memorable. The best was saved for last, with dead stock by SID, a very very good album with some great highlights.

Jumping to March, there's Philia from Versailles, which had 2 nice songs and Desert Apple, which I didn't even care. Maximum the Hormone came back with a solid single, 3 great songs, with my girl being outrageously fun.

April's being awesome so far. Sadie blew me totally with COLD BLOOD, currently the best album of the year until now, IMO. Plastic Tree released ammonite, with lots of good songs, though the singles are still the highlights. NoGod's Raise a Flag was average, with PAIN being the only track with some innovation.

I think that's it, until now. Waiting anxiously for Helios too, also, Nightmare's Vermillion and VORTEX (the GazettE).

So far for Japanese music (Visual Kei) I've really enjoyed Ru:natic's new single and Vallquar's mini. Both bands seemed to have made great progress and looking forward to future releases! :D

I purchased Turisas and Amon Amarth's new albums, so waiting for those to arrive and see how they are. Wintersun better release Time or I'm going to punch Jari in the teeth. I'm just not feeling it with VK for the past few months so I think for 2011 I'm going to have another steamy affair with metal ~ it's been awhile and good to visit some old favourites and see what they have done while I spent the last year or two partying with Visual Kei.

mmmz, there has been some good stuff released so far... Most noteworth releases I listened to this year so far are

the latest by inspire:tion (but that's just because I luv them)

THE JUNEJULYAUGUST debut album. Came across them by accident, but loved them from the first minute on :)

the new Zutans album, which is a really nice pianopop album

Debut release by THE SHALLOWS. Taken a liking to garage since early last year, and this is one of my new discoveries

And though it's only released last wednesday, I really love the new album by The DARARS.

And now I would almost forget the latest album by folk enough. Their song bach is just 10 minutes of joy .o.

But the last month I haven't listened to much new Japanese music. Got a new batch getting shipped to me, and I am curious about some of them, like the first album by the cabs, naomi-poco's solo-debut, and maria hato's debut release

For VK I think nothing. I don't listen to it so frequently and don't search for new releases so often. except few exceptions that didn't release anything this yearyet

only DEG's LOTUS which I didn't like :?

for non-vk

0.8秒????撃。-「町蔵・町??・破壊??I love all three songs that's not much common :D. They didn't dissapoint, it's funny, pleasure to listen to it..

RADWIMPS - DADA this one is just awesome!

- 狭心症 - every time I hear it I want to cry

- 絶体絶命 they didn't dissapoint me, new favorites π and G行為 :wub:

NICO Touches the Walls - PASSENGER first album I listened to by them and they nicely surprised me (When I like song from anime (DIVER) then I very often don't like the other releases, they're a big exception)

女王蜂 - 魔女狩り hmm, I really remember only 待??女 song very well :D, the others weren't bad but not so rememberable

and Maximum the hormone's new maxi single, it was really odd to hear an autotune, I didn't like it much.. but the song maximum the hormone is the best from all three

that's it.. i guess

Oh it's been great so far.

THE JUNEJULYAUGUST really reignited my love for Tetsu Takano. I think I've listened to the album 100 times by now. The piano makes the sound so dynamic and Kazi is a great drummer.

女王蜂 released a great debut! Love it when new bands deliver.

The new Lillies and Remains album really pleases me too, especially Avijja.

キノコホテル released another album as well, and while I feel it wasn't as cohesive as their debut, it's still pretty great. Some true psychedelic rock in there this time and there just isn't a better combination in the world than Group Sounds + psychedelic. If there is then I've yet to hear it.

Oh and Boris, yay.

And things I get to look forward to:

Film A Moment, the DVD/Photobook by TK from 凛??????時雨. 3 new songs and I get to relive a recent trip from the looks of things.

MERRY's new album. I have no doubts about it being something I'll love.

Dir en grey's new album. No idea what to expect, but should be interesting.

So far I'm in love with Boris' New Album which I got in the mail the other day. It's so amazing, I could cry. Currently, I'm impatiently awaiting the other two American albums due in May. Luna Sea's "PROMISE" single didn't exactly knock me off my feet, but it was awesome and kinda hard to believe, since only a few years ago I had assumed I would never hear another new song from them again.

I'm also really happy about Volcano's Mythology and Eizo Sakamoto's new Golden Hits album, which I haven't gotten a chance to listen to yet but hopefully will very soon. Versailles "Philia" was okay.

Right now, I'm waiting on some potentially awesome releases from Anthem (which the date for has been moved a gazillion times since last year), B'z, and andymori - which I already am die hard hooked on their newest song. I'm surprised most of my favorite bands are coming out with something this year.

The only disappointment for me was Kuroyume's new single. But I guess I wasn't expecting much to begin with.

There is only little VK releases that i can remember,

firstly, of course DeG's LOTUS.

It was O.K, it's a nice ballad from them, without sounding too depressing a la Conceived Sorrow.

After the dissapointing Hageshisa to.., one start to wonder where the direction for their upcoming album goes this time. Perhaps there will be last single before album for giving out fans the big picture of it? Or not?

And then, Alice Nine's GEMINI whic was awesome.

It blew me away. Very good quality of music and production. I am happy for them to show being major isn't always have to compromise with market.

And then there's 「Jesus?? by Lycaon.

Which was also O.K, most part of it coming back to their own roots. Which for many are such relieve (?)

I enjoyed this song, but not the b-side.

新曲 (PIERROT) are not the Lycaon i like to hear.

It's like the b-side of Eros. Same Jazz mood and shit. Though i admit this one are more groovy than EROS did. Probably only good thing from it.

Then there was COLD BLOOD by Sadie that dissapointing for me. It's doesn't live up the hope i had when listening to the 6 previews on their website before it took down the day after.

I thought it would be on a par with their previous album, but it's not even as good.

Too many so-so tracks, and an annoying unplugged.

They could do better, they have showed it before.

And Raise a Flag by NoGod which worries me a little now. This release seems so uninspiring.

Not much happening on the whole xx minutes, except for PAIN.

It was like, getting punched but not hurt at all.

So weak. Try harder NoGod, you've come along way to get major!

New release aside, there was re-recording for LUNA SEA self title which was very good. Perhaps i am bias for them. But i really enjoyed it, it's rocking.

See how maestro doing it, young VK bands!

But their song for charity was kinda meh, didn't really feeling it. But probably that was intended, to sell as many as their can. Since not everyone would like music with distortion for charity song lol

My new biggest discovery so far this year is CaT FiSt and A.

Some good VK right there, when i thought this scene is now slowly dying. It's quite relieving some indies are still doing their own thing than being a copy carbon of any famous ex. VK bands. You know what i mean.

They haven't dissapoint so far.

And i can't wait for their future releases.

And i was getting new album by Turisas, it was awesome. Where was i these past 5 years?

Oh, big kudos for Champ btw, her picture on fb actually makes me bought the CD and listen it myself.

It is indeed better than chocolate ;)

And the rest was some mainstream dance pop that most people here probably wouldn't care lol

but i need to say only two names so far that dominatting for me, Britney and Gaga.

Predictable? Of course!

Meanwhile i still need to check out Jessie J, i have her CD but it is still unwrapped and sitting nicely on my working desk. I hope it's good. Her songs on youtube were good so that brings some good vibe for me.

What else, hm, oh yes 「EARTHBOUND PAPAS?? was awesome too. As always, anything Nobuo Uematsu will slay.

I have just getting some other releases too, non VK releases of course, that i still need to check out on. And miwa's debut album, guitarisimmo is one of them.

So far the preview was good,so i am pretty confident i will enjoyed it. Will see.

Releases aside, i am enjoying American Idol season 10. There was quite diverse talents this season.

And my eyes set on Casey. He had quite a reference with him being a teenager still. Rooting for him truly.

These are what i can recap for 2011 so far.

And might have just small number of many that i might missed out. SO i may write more later, probably.

Oh btw, anyone, tell me if i should try SuG new album? I haven't listen to it, and the review topic was too messed up for me to find out whether i should wasting some time for it or not. Any assitance for this please? :mrgreen:

edit: BORIS New Album was cool too though have just listened a couple of round.

I was incredibly pleased with D's new album and Versailles' new single. Girugamesh's new album was OK but their weakest yet. For the rest it was so/so. Concerning KPOP I'm still heavily addicted to Super Junior M's Perfection mini <3

@Chianti. DO IT. Check it out, it's pretty awful but still lulzy xD

Ok... 2011 started recently but I ended up with some conclusions yet:

Best release

January: VAMPIRE SAGA by D, Scarlett's mini-album

Febraury: Beautiful Creature by DIAURA

March: Mugen Houyou by Kiryu , Oath -cross of eternity- by Megaromania, Silent to My Pain by Lin-the end of corruption world-

So, for now some good releases, but not many. Kiryu's new album is definitely the best release for now and I am 99% sure it's the 2011 best release so far.

Now I am waiting for the following ones:

Someiyoshino by R-shitei (waiting for its arrival)

PAINZ by PERESTROIKA

Beautiful Creature 2nd Press by DIAURA

New Scarlett's single

Flowers Bloom by Lin-the end of corruption world-

Kisai by Kiryu

Helios by Matenrou Opera

and DICTATOR by DIAURA...

that's all for now! I am not putting in the list live DVDs.

Absolutely Loved And Adored

Moonsorrow - Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa

myGRAIN - myGRAIN

Septic Flesh - The Great Mass

Sybreed - Challenger EP

Torchbearer - Death Meditations

Liked

Before The Dawn - Deathstar Rising

Scar Symmetry - The Unseen Empire (will probably change to loved... getting into it more on this listen)

Stratovarius - Elysium

Tesseract - One

Turisas - Stand Up And Fight

Vintersorg - Jordpuls

Disappointments

Alghazanth - Vinum Intus

Dekadent - Venera: Trial & Tribulation

Evergrey - Glorious Collision

RoutaSielu - Pimeys

Only twogood album i've heard so far of 2011.

Sadie's new album and Verbal's solo album.

2010 was a massive year. I don't think 2011 will be.

But it's still somewhat early.

Moran - Apples

amazing

XA-VAT - Endo is also epicly cool

I'm actually happy about 2011 so far, 85% is because of Moran. NoGod's single is disappointing though. Still haven't listened to CPS's mini (will do that now). Also, kannivalism's new single is coming out next week (better be good because I ordered it >__> ). Looking forward to amber gris & Jiminy Cricket's new releases on June, I believe.

I've only really listened to XA-VAT, Philia and Lotus from this year. XA-VAT was surprisingly good, as I had only heard snippets of their music and was a bit hesitant about it. Philia was alright, but not the best. I liked Lotus, but it wasn't the best either.

Also from this year, Silent to my Pain by Lin was the first single that I actually kind of liked by them. Maximum the Hormone's new single was alright. Also I am one of those people waiting for Time, but I doubt that it will be out this year, though I'm not really complaining as it seems to have made some progress and will be out eventually (hopefully). And I haven't gotten around to listening to new Turisas as I am poor and can't be bothered downloading it.

Also Highly anticipating Ghost and Deconstruction by Devin Townsend.

Absolutely Loved And Adored

Moonsorrow - Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa

myGRAIN - myGRAIN

Septic Flesh - The Great Mass

Sybreed - Challenger EP

Torchbearer - Death Meditations

Liked

Before The Dawn - Deathstar Rising

Scar Symmetry - The Unseen Empire (will probably change to loved... getting into it more on this listen)

Stratovarius - Elysium

Tesseract - One

Turisas - Stand Up And Fight

Vintersorg - Jordpuls

Disappointments

Alghazanth - Vinum Intus

Dekadent - Venera: Trial & Tribulation

Evergrey - Glorious Collision

RoutaSielu - Pimeys

No bullshit, pretty much everything on this is exactly what I feel about 2011. (so far). The only thing I didn't like was the cover art for Sybreed's EP, it's pants. I hate it.

撃鉄 - 撃

己?? - 夢幻鳳影

実験??モルモット - 箱庭??音樂会

女王蜂- 女狩り

中島???? - ユラリユララ

????戯ゎ??魔々団×??PaRADEiS】- albare

XA-VAT - 艶℃

LIL - Synchronize

Ke$ha - I Am The Dance Commander

Britney Spears - Femme Fatale

Have been the only really good releases so far.

So far it's been just dandy. Sticking strictly to Japanese music. After a little more than a year both my favorite bands released new albums. Both of which exceeded my expectations. In the case of DAI, EIGHT turned out to be the album I thought they should've released after coming back. Not to say that Eternal Flame was bad but the albums seem like they should be inverse chronologically as Eight sound more like a "hey we're back bitches" imo and EF has that 2nd album vibe. In the case of A9's Gemini, well the last.fm plays say it all I guess, especially since I don't scrobble much to begin with. It's almost everything I want/knew they could be and it reaffirmed my allegiance. So those things are already enough to make me feel peachy but on top of that I also found myself really, reallly, really enjoying.

Aie- hikarika

女王蜂- 魔女狩り

Onsoku line's - onsoku no owari

XA-VAT - Endo

打首獄門同好会 - なわけで、それがし打首獄門同好会ですよろしくダカダダンジャーン

BlieAN - Monolith

Radwimp's latest stuff

Paperbaglunchbox - ground disco

etc. (as in I'm probably missing stuff)

That said I've been pretty much J-music free since mid-march so I have a lot of stuff to catch up on and to possibly add.

XA-VAT is literally the best thing I have heard coming from the VK world this year so far

then again i have kind of moved away from it

I'm usually behind when it comes to checking out new stuff. So I haven't listened to that many stuff from 2011 yet. At first I wanted to mention the Black Album by A, but then I realized that it was released in 2010 already, same as the albums by Bellfast and 女王蜂. :emo:

Which cuts down the amount of japanese stuff.... I guess the re-recorded LUNA SEA album was nice, if that counts. And the livehouse distro from Ronove of course.

In terms of non-japanese music the new albums by Amon Amarth, Turisas, ThanatoSchizo and Wormfood come to my mind first. Honorable mentions to Falkenbach, Moonsorrow and Nothgard.

I still have a bunch of stuff to check out though.

So far I've really enjoyed:

Do As Infinity - Eight

Yamapi - Supergood, Superbad (don't judge me kk)

Coldrain - The Enemy Inside

UNLIMITS - Tranquilizer

Show Luo - Only You

SID - Dead Stock

Tsushimamire - Giving Blood

Koda Kumi - Dejavu

Ryuichi Kawamura - The Voice

LUNA SEA - LUNA SEA

Sherman Chung - It's a beautiful day

Sadie - Cold Blood

INORAN - Teardrop

Huang Yida - Glimmer

Shawn Yue - N.A.S.

Red Flower - Sense of Security

2011 has been nothing but amazing this far, and I know that it will only get better.This is the stuff that I know came in 2011 that I think is either very good or amazing, but I know I have forgotten a lot of stuff:

Kagrra, Primordial, Moonsorrow, Altar of Plagues, Burzum, XA-VAT, Septic Flesh, Boris, Blood Ceremony, Dødsengel, Necros Christos, Negative Plane, Sabbat, Krypts, Fen, Woods of Desolation, Doomsword, Pentagram.

And all the shit I've forgotten about.

And the rest of the year will be amazing for sure, no doubt about that.