The general Metal discussion thread

THere's a new Forteresse-track streaming now, and as usual we get their ambient, trance-like Métal noir québécois - melodic and epic. Sounds a bit faster and heavier than previous albums, with a much cleaner production, but it still sounds great. Fantastic choice of melodies as usual.

http://www.stereogum.com/1875864/forteresse-la-ou-nous-allons-stereogum-premiere/mp3s/

Following 20 years, 5 full length albums, many tours around the world, and numerous other recordings, John Haughm and the rest of the band (Don Anderson, Jason Walton, and Aesop Dekker) have parted ways. What the future holds for the separate parties remains undetermined. We collectively thank all of our fans across the world. There are also way too many other people to thank who made this band possible. You know who you are.

Their last album was very disappointing, but other than that this band has been Close to flawless ever since their demo, so them splitting (not sure if they're actually split though, or if it's just that all the members except of John Haughm who's left?) sucks.

From Which of This Oak, Pale Folklore, Marrow of the Spirit and Faustian Echoes are most excellent, and The Mantle, Ashes Against the Grain and the majority of the other releases are great too. The only release I don't listen to on a regular basis is The Serpent & the Sphere.

a3053292355_10.jpg

Spell - For None and All

http://spellofficial.bandcamp.com/album/for-none-and-all

I loved Spell's debut album, The Full Moon Sessions, which I thought was a great, original and very unique heavy metal album, especially considering this was 2014. It's pure heavy metal, classic sounding and all, yet so very fresh and different. There's something about that riffing. My first impression is that this is just as good, and probably better than the debut album. Can't wait to give it a few more spins.

The vocals will probably put a lot of people off, but I dig them and the music is fantastic.

Hail-Spirit-Noir-Artwork-PR.jpg

“Mayhem In Blue”, the new album form Psychedelic Prog Black Metallers HAIL SPIRIT NOIR, is set for release on Dark Essence Records on the 14th October. The album will be the third full-length release for the Greek trio, whose debut album “Pneuma” appeared in 2012, followed by 2014’s “”Oi Magoi”.

Commenting on what fans can expect from “Mayhem In Blue”, the band had this to say: “It’s been two and a half years since the release of our last album, and with “Mayhem In Blue” we have set out to express our more aggressive side, without sacrificing any of the psychedelic melodies that are an integral part of what we like to call HAIL SPIRIT NOIR’ s “weird black sound”. If anything, in fact, the sound is more enticing and trippy than ever.

“Featuring the mixing talents of Dimitris Douvras (ROTTING CHRIST etc) and the exceptional mastering abilities of Alan Douches (CHELSEA WOLFE, MOTORHEAD etc), we feel that the result is an album that elevates our signature psychoprog black metal sound to new levels”.

Artwork for the six-track album is by Olia Pishchanska.

Fuck yeah! I'm so looking forward to this. Gonna be fantastic for sure.

I've got some German gold for you fucks:

Classic sounding occult heavy metal from Genözider (Quintessenz, Bulldozing Bastard, Vulture) and Steeler (Hellhunt, Vulture). This sounds like it was released in 1986. For fans of Mercyful Fate, first King Diamond, Hell, Angel Witch and so on.

Black speeding metal hell with a heavy mid-1980's feeling to it. Think Bathory, Running Wild, Venom, Evil Blood, Sabbat and more.

Speed metal massacre in the vein of Ranger, Razor, Exciter and more from Genözider (Quintessenz, Bulldozing Bastard, Vulture), Steeler (Hellhunt, Vulture) and Axetinctör (Bulldozing Bastard). It's got a classic feeling to it, and speed is the key here. Speed kills!

Black speed metal hell in the vein of early Sodom, Deathhammer and more. This shit is awesome and sounds like 1986, which is a good thing. Total fucking war!

New track from Genözider's Quintessenz. Total 80's black metal worship, but this sounds less Hellhammer and Bathory and more Mercyful Fate and Angel Witch then the previous stuff. The first demo is a modern classic and the EP is great, but the debut album was a bit disappointing. This however sounds top notch!

Diabolic Night sounds okay too I guess (btw that cover art is totally epic, haha!). Nuctemeron didn't grab me yet, at least not this song.

Edited by Jigsaw9

I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, but I actually like the two super cheap, cheesy Diabolic Night covers, as well as the ones that actually good. They're absolute shit, but very chaming and I feel like they totally match his overall image and 80's feeling.

a2929094122_10.jpg

11745676_845050688923965_696812782902076

tumblr_ng6k1nwoCY1rgt5w9o1_500.jpg

3540377879_photo.jpg?5406

It just matches really well IMO. That's a great pic too, btw.

Since Germany have a huge black/thrash/speed metal scene at the moment I'll go on recommend a few more bands:

Black/speed metal with Irön Kommander/As A. Axetinctör (Vulture) and Genözider (Quintessenz, Vulture). These guys sound like the bastard child of Venom, Motörhead and Bathory. Pretty cool band.

These guys are split up now, but it's one of the previous bands of Genözider. Black/thrash with lots of Bathory, Venom, Hellhammer and so on in the sound. Some nice heavy metal influences too.

More black/speed metal, and if you're familiar with black metal you should notice the Venom reference in the name, which is quite obviously an inspiration. But there's elements of Bathory and so on as well.

Really cool and catchy black/thrash metal with some nice heavy metal influences. Very nice and rocking stuff.

And one Italian:

Black speeding metal with the usual influences. Bathory, Venom, Nifelheim, Sabbat and so on. This one is truly great.

Some Alcest news: Our new album is getting mastered at the moment... We are almost done !

They're also gonna tour Europe with Mono later this year. I am so fucking going. I've seen Alcest a couple of times now and they're brilliant live, but I've never seen Mono. Missed them twice in Norway if I am not mistaken. Finally!

Architects talk:

On 2016年6月7日 at 3:11 AM, eiheartx said:

@Seimeisen:D did you listen to AOGHAU?)

@eiheartx (and maybe @doombox, too)

Yesterday I played ALL OUR GODS ABANDONED US in the kitchen at work. I surprised quite a few of my co-workers (lol). I was surprisingly impressed, actually. The album is enjoyable, but maybe not something I'd sit down and devote all my attention to. When I sat down to listen to Lost Together // Lost Forever, I was pretty bored. I wasn't fond of the djenty direction they went in, and I don't really like Sam's half-sang vocals on either album. My favourite of theirs is still The Here And Now (don't understand the hate it gets at all).

1 hour ago, Seimeisen said:

Architects talk:

@eiheartx (and maybe @doombox, too)

Yesterday I played ALL OUR GODS ABANDONED US in the kitchen at work. I surprised quite a few of my co-workers (lol). I was surprisingly impressed, actually. The album is enjoyable, but maybe not something I'd sit down and devote all my attention to. When I sat down to listen to Lost Together // Lost Forever, I was pretty bored. I wasn't fond of the djenty direction they went in, and I don't really like Sam's half-sang vocals on either album. My favourite of theirs is still The Here And Now (don't understand the hate it gets at all).

Lost Together was the first album I ever heard from them so I can't really compare it to what's before, but I probably gravitated to it because of the djent direction, tbh.

In the Woods... is releasing a new album this year, and their first since 1999's Strange In Stereo. Sound-wise it's basically what I'd expect from I the Woods..., but quality-wise it's a lot better than expected. The new vocalist, Mr. Fog, known from bands such as The Meads of Asphodel, Jaldaboath, Old Forest and Ewigkeit provides some fantastic vocals. He sings excellent!

http://www.debemur-morti.com/en/content/372-in-the-woods-premiere-cult-of-shining-stars

I've been really digging on Veiled in Scarlet's new album.  They recieved alot of hate on youtube for their vocalist though.  They say his voice is really raspy and sounds like a gremlin but eh.. I kind of like it. It takes a backdrop to the fucking insane instruments.

I've been really loving the new gojira album.  Magma is a great release. But I've seen hate for it because it's bit more accessible than their other releases, which is kinda of a dumb reason to hate an album for when the core of the music is still there.

I'm really digging the new devildriver album too. Haven't heard them on point like this since Pray For Villains. Daybreak has a lot of killer  groove metal tunes.  My only gripe is the production which I feel could have been tighter.

And speaking of Djent, I'm curious about Periphery's new album.  I liked Omega and Alpha but P1 and P2 were my fav albums by them. 

On some other releases

- Kilswitch Engage's Incarnate was great.  Best album they've put out since As Daylight Dies. Jesse's vocals really shine.

- Volbeat Seal the Deal was actually not boring. Glad they redeemed themselves after their last disappointing release. 

- Issues's Headspace was a good and much stronger release than their debut. Gotta love their mix of RMB and metalcore, who knew it would work so well?

-I See Stars Treehouse was a bit of a letdown. It's hard to even consider the release a metal album at all. It's like they tried to pull a BMTH but not as successfully. 

I am  hyped for that new Jason Richardson solo album. Guy is one of the best modern shredders around and he's finally releasing a solo album. From the looks of things it's gonna be an amazing shredtastic djenty progressive metal release with some really cool guests.

Dusk and Her Embrace - The Original Sin is finally streaming online. It sounds so fucking good. It's darker, rougher, more brutal and more black metal than the "original" Dusk..., and it sounds just as good to be honest. Dani's vocals and the keyboards are a lot different, and the entire thing sounds a lot more guitar-driven than the version we know.

http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-07-04/cradle-of-filth-stream-dusk-and-her-embrace-the-original-sin

I'm really glad this original piece finally got to see the light of day, because something this great doesn't deserve to be unheard by the thousands and thousands of fans around the world. Magnificent!

Shame bout the modern-looking, shitty coverart, though.

Edited by Bear

go indonesia

Spoiler

progressive & brutal and fucking orgasm

Spoiler

female voc

Spoiler

Just stumbled over this piece of  Atmospheric Black Metal the other day and thought you guys could like it.  Amazing atmosphere, you can literally sense the icy winds flying over the icelandic countryside, while hearing.

tumblr_oaxru7DvBw1rgrg5oo1_500.jpg

Alcest - Kodama

I love the cover art. Set for a release at the end of september. Very excited, and I am wondering if they continue down the path of pure shoegaze/dream pop road or if it will, as Neige himself said, be a bit darker. I would love to hear a bit more metal influences again to be honest, but I doubt that will happen now.

MAIN-COVER-FRONT.jpg

Negură Bunget - Zi

I'm one of few who liked the previous album quite a lot, and I m looking forward to this. Progressive and folky atmospheric black metal. I do hope for something a lot better this time though, because despite liking the previous one it was a bit disappointing.

Agatus%2BThe%2BEternalist.jpg

Agatus - The Eternalist

This is Agatus' first full lenght since 2002's The Weaving Fates, so I'm really stoked about this. Greek black metal with Archon Vorskaath (Zemial, ex-Varathron) and Eskarth the Dark One (ex-Zemial, ex-Kawir). It sounds very greek, but with a bit more Bathory and epic heavy metal than the traditional bands. New song sounds fantastic!

https://agatus.bandcamp.com/album/the-eternalist

@Bearthe screams are back! im super emotional as i've loved alcest for quite a while now and this is the best i have heard them since ecailles de lune.

super excited. also really can't wait for the new neurosis and 40 watt sun