The general Metal discussion thread

On 03/11/2016 at 6:49 PM, Jigsaw9 said:

Kvelertak - Nattesferd

Glad to read I'm not the only one who totally loved that release! 

Listened to the new Ulcerate yesterday and holy shit, that was unbelievable. What an album, probably their best along with Everything Is Fire.

The new Vader is good too. 

Been trying out Deathspell Omega's newest a few times, but I'm still not a fan of the band. They know have to creat chaos, but to me it's just the wrong kind of chaos. Godawful album, like most of the previous works.

I'll just keep sitting in my room and play Kénôse on repeat. Their best and only must-have release IMO.

^ To me, it wasn't godawful but I do agree that they did much much better works in the past. This new one was good for one spin, but I won't have the urge to re-play it anytime soon.

Edited by Jigsaw9

9 hours ago, Bear said:

They know have to creat chaos, but to me it's just the wrong kind of chaos. Godawful album, like most of the previous works.

Just curious as to what type of chaos you like? I can't really think of any other band that does chaos better then DsO.

I tend to lean more towards punk when I want something chaotic. Phoenix Bodies, Off Minor, Pg.99, Orchid, Jerome's Dream, In/humanity and so on. It's obviously a very different chaos from what Deathspell Omega makes, but it's a type of intense chaos that doesn't give me a headache.

Yes, finally a new album from these guys. Al Azif is very good and Tekeli-li is very, very good, and judging by this song this will be very, very, very good. Lovely cover art as well.

Holy shit, this sounds so different from Quintessenz' earlier Hellhammer/Celtic Frost/Venom/Bathory worshipping stuff. Much more speed and traditional heavy metal in the sound. Can hear some viking-era Bathory, Manowar and Thor influences here for sure. Especially on Endless Night, while Zeitgeist sounds way more speed metal influenced.

Sounds so much better than the rather disppointing Back to the Kult of the Tyrants. While a good album, it lacked the magic from Okkult Metal Spell and Über Metal.

Okay so I just tried the new Furia and I didn't expect to be so astonished when I should have, I've been naively caught off guard here. You're gonna say it's Furia, yes, but dude, there are not a lot of bands out there as consistent as this one. I love the album. 

On 10/11/2016 at 10:55 PM, Aeolus said:

Tomorrow the New Animals as Leaders album comes out, anyone looking forward to it?

Yup! Need to check it out asap, the singles sounded promising and were really enjoyable.

Will probably post my thoughts about the new album on here.

Also listened to SAOR's new album and it's beautiful, need more spins though. 

+ the new Ravencult sounds really great!

Edited by Visutox

I've been very into the Quebec black metal scene again lately (which I always am when winter is coming), and this have to be the most unique and interesting scene within black metal for the past 16 years? While a lot of the bands like Forteresse, Csejthe, Grimoire, Ephemer, Brume d'Automne, Déliquescence, Ur Falc'h, Maléfices, Délétère has their own thing going on, they still have that Quebecian feeling to their music. It's very similar to how Poland, Greece, Sweden, Finland, USA, Norway and more had their own, unique style back in the early to mid 90's.

This has to be one of the very best black metal songs ever written. That atmosphere, the feeling, the melodies. Absolute perfection! Well, the entire album is. But oh well...

16 hours ago, Visutox said:

Yup! Need to check it out asap, the singles sounded promising and were really enjoyable.

Will probably post my thoughts about the new album on here.

Also listened to SAOR's new album and it's beautiful, need more spins though. 

+ the new Ravencult sounds really great!

I'm more hoping that the acoustic piece Tosin played during the BMTH tour is on the new album. Either way I'm sure they will blow my mind for the 4th time.

I listened the album yesterday and I enjoyed it, it's really cool. 

The highlight of the album would be this for me, a true masterwork: 

Also, the new Metallica album leaked. Spinning it right now, sounds okay so far. Not too good though, some tracks are boring as hell.

On 11/11/2016 at 10:07 PM, robkun said:

This thread needs more King-Show love!

Really need to get more into this band, especially considering I'm a huge Tokusatsu fan

Definitely, man. I have two of their VHS's, and they are both equally amazing. Some of the best music and most energized/entertaining shows of their field/time period.

I've been listening few weeks now Avenged Sevenfold's new album The Stage, and it's really surprisingly awesome album. I love the space mood and vibe the album radiates.

Previously I've classified AX7 as horribly generic 00's metalcore with occasional light spots in the darkness, but something has happened to the band and this new release really is good. I recommend giving it a whirl, even tho most of the material isn't really something that's digested on the first listen.

WIll be seeing Pentagram live again today. They were amazing a couple of years ago and my mate said they were fantastic in Oslo yesterday. Looking forward to this! Another oppurtinity to see the great Bobby Liebling live again.

Pentagram was amazing and Bobby Lieblind is a god. Hands down!

Been listening to the majority of Darkestrah's discography over the past couple of days. Atmospheric black metal with folk elements. Loads of synth, often it's almost drowned in synth, but it's still not symphonic. It's more used as a carpet over the black metal to just add more atmosphere. It's not a main ingredient, as it is to symphonic black metal bands. Their early stuff is similar to NeChrist-era Nokturnal Mortum, with a lot more variation in tempo and riffing, more chaos, with the folk elements being a lot more prominent and the synth more symphonic and playful. But as time's gone they've calmed their tits a lot and is now a lot more based on mid-tempo black metal riffing with lots of synth and not as much folk-elements. It sounds more traditional "pagan metal-esque".

Highly recommended if you enjoy bands like Nokturnal Mortum, Graveland, Drudkh, Lucifugum and more. As the band was originally from Kyrgyzstan the folk-elements is a lot different from the other bands, though. Throat singing is one of the elements they've used. Metal does need more throat-singing.

http://darkestrahofficial.bandcamp.com

Edited by Bear

I'm locked in thrash-mania these days it seems. Been spinning nothing but Kreator, Destruction and some Sodom. I'm not too familar with the latter band, but their new album is just amazing killer stuff! A lot more interesting than Destruction's latest one (which btw is also not too bad, just nothing special). Gonna dive deep into Sodom's back catalogue soon.

Also, I've realized yet again that this album still rips like hell:

(what a brutal year with this and Slayer's Reign in Blood as well!)

I'm not gonna lie, I am not a fan of newer Sodom, Destruction or Kreator at all, but all three bands have released several of the best thrash metal albums ever.

Destruction were amazing from 84-86, then good from 87-90and decent from 00-01. But I can't remember the last time I bothered listening to anything they released beyond 86. It's just such a difference in quality and style to me. But they've done decent things beyond the classics too.

Kreator were amazing from 83 (as Tormentor!!!)-90, and decent from 99-01. But other than that I think they've been godawful. But I do enjoy Endorama, though. I'm one of those who actually appreciates it.

Sodom were amazing from 82-94, and decent from 99-01. But I think their newer stuff has been godawful, but I have yet to check out their newest album. Didn't like Sacred Warpath at all, but the little I've heard outside of that track's been fairly good. Less melodic thrash influence and less modern sounding than their other recent albums.

But while you're into German thrash metal, be sure to check out these albums:

Exumer - Possessed by Fire

Tankard - Zombie Attack

Deathrow - Riders of Doom

Deathrow - Raging Steel

Darkness - Death Squad

Assassin - The Upcoming Terror

Violent Force - Malevolent Assault of Tomorrow

Living Death - Vengeance of Hell

Living Death - Metal Revolution

Minotaur - Power of Darkness

Vendetta - Go and Live ... Stay and Die

Vendetta - Brain Damage

Necronomicon - Necronomicon

Necronomicon - Apocalyptic Nightmare

Protector - Golem

Protector - Urm the Mad

Protector - A Shedding of Skin

Protector - The Heritage

All these might not be classic, but if they're not they're at worst semi-classics. But all of them are fantastic albums, and a lot of them no less than brilliant (the bolded).

Edited by Bear

^ Thanks for the tons of recommendations, man! Always too much good music, too little time. :D Out of the bands mentioned I know Exumer, they're pretty cool as far as I remember, and I might have also listened to an album by Protector this year (their latest one) but can't recall much of that.

Lately I'm on a huge Bolt Thrower kick. They're one of those bands who I haven't ever listened to, only just read good stuff about, so it was high time! Lovin' what I'm hearing so far, they really don't seem to have any mediocre or bad albums (tho I'm not finished with the whole discography yet ofc xD). Such simplicity but such power as well. Great stuff. I began with their last album and was really surprised how awesome it was. Now I'm working my way up in chronological order. The IVth Crusade is blasting loud and I'm about to open a few beers - good times.

Edited by Jigsaw9

22 hours ago, Jigsaw9 said:

Lately I'm on a huge Bolt Thrower kick. They're one of those bands who I haven't ever listened to, only just read good stuff about, so it was high time! Lovin' what I'm hearing so far, they really don't seem to have any mediocre or bad albums (tho I'm not finished with the whole discography yet ofc xD). Such simplicity but such power as well. Great stuff. I began with their last album and was really surprised how awesome it was. Now I'm working my way up in chronological order. The IVth Crusade is blasting loud and I'm about to open a few beers - good times.

I had a brief falling out with Bolt Thrower for some inexplicable reason a few years back. Since that passed though, they've solidified themselves as one of my all time sleeper favorites. For whatever reason I've found it impossible to get tired of the first four albums and especially War Master has grown on me as of late. iirc their peel sessions album is also good, but peel sessions pretty much always are