The general Metal discussion thread

Yeah, was listening to the song at work today. Thought it was fantastic, and much better than everything on Shelter. Fabolous!

Duuuudes!!! Take Over And Destroy are releasing a new (self-titled) album on October 7!! They've already unleashed the killer opening track:

http://takeoveranddestroy.bandcamp.com/track/by-knife

Gimme dat proggy '70s hard rawk inspired black metal & roll n fuck me uppp yesssssss

edit: Also yay, new Meshuggah and The Dillinger Escape Plan album in October too. Gonna be a killer month. It's a bummer tho that TDEP are disbanding sometime in 2017. :-(

Edited by Jigsaw9

Joel Grind is out with a new single. Joel Grind (Joel Grind of Toxic Holocaust fame's own playgrind to do whatever the fuck he wants to) started out as a old school black/speed metal band in the vein of old Bathory, Bulldozer and Venom, then went into fuzzed-out, acid-drenched surf rock on a split with legendary Davie Allan and has now visited synth land with an incredible two-track single in the vein of old John Carpenter. These two tracks are excellent and consist of some of the best music Joel Grind has ever made. Impressed as fuck!

http://joelgrind.bandcamp.com/album/fatal-planet

New Tortorum EP out in October, cool.

Today we set October 13th as the international release date for Tortorum's highly anticipated Rotten. Dead. Forgotten. It's been two years since the release of Tortorum's critically acclaimed second album, Katabasis, and in that time, ubiquitous drummer Dirge Rep has amicably departed the Norwegian black metal vanguard's ranks. Bloodied but unbowed, the trio saw fit to record an all-new mini-album, bearing the ominous title Rotten. Dead. Forgotten. This title is prescient, and wholly descriptive of the six-track record's contents. Moving at a slower, more methodical pace, Rotten. Dead. Forgotten. stomps forward with a hideous energy that literally feels DEAD. Like a reanimated corpse or malignant specter, the Tortorum of Rotten. Dead. Forgotten. has turned a new and no-less-harrowing page here, largely leaving behind the orthodox speed of their massive first two albums and striking upon largely unexplored terrain where space and shade are blackened to a crisp and are patiently pushed forward with a palatable sense of maturity. Then again, the fire of old does occasionally ignite across the mini-album's six, comparably more stretched-out tracks, suggesting that the future is wide open for this equally surprising/dependable band.

1. Iao Al    01:57     
2. All Suns Black    05:59     
3. Night of the Witch    05:06     
4. Life Is the Enemy    03:41     
5. Lucifer Victrix    06:19     
6. Black Mantra Mysteries    06:57    

2chl37l.jpg

The new Cult of Fire track is excellent. Can't wait!

Darkthrone is releasing something new soon too:

13886376_1193217527386844_14013489355678

1. Tundra Leach - 05:02
2. Burial Bliss - 04:59
3. Boreal Fiends - 05:50
4. Inbred Vermin - 05:49
5. Arctic Thunder - 04:41
6. Throw Me Through the Marshes - 05:00
7. Deep Lake Tresspass - 04:48
8. The Wyoming Distance - 03:14

"Hi folks, it's time to talk a bit about our new album - and as I don't like to talk or write about music much I can say that it is more serious and primitive than usual. Vocals are only done by Ted as I thought this would create a more solemn/introvert atmosphere. The album is called ARCTIC THUNDER because it is my fave bandname (old mega-obscure Norwegian band from the 80s that I asked the permission from to use as an album title). Meanwhile here is the cover, it is from the personal camping archives from a trip some years ago to SPÅLSBERGET in Nordmarka. IT has the usual spruce-tree skyline and also a bonfire - there will be another limited colour version with orange logo and title, because that was MY favourite colour, but the usual release looks like this in silver - as this was Ted's favourite version."

YES we have half way finished our new album. YES we have our old rehearsal place back (recorded there: Snowfall/a new dimension demo + thulcandra demo). Our style this time is as usual from Ted, stern heavy/black metal. Personally i changed the style from speed metal before to SLOW HEAVY METAL, and i have four albums representing that: first DREAM DEATH album, BLACK SABBATH mob rules, first CANDLEMASS album and second SACRILEGE album. Ted will sing on the entire album and that was a desicion made by me after hearing the ANGUISH "mountain" album from last year. What am i listening to right now? the vinyl of mercenary by BOLT THROWER. YES it has annoying bass drum sound, but all the riffs are great. – f e n r i z

I've enjoyed the fuck out of recent Darkthrone and can't wait for this. Really looking forward to this. And the namedropping of those specific albums by Dream Death, Black Sabbath, Candlemass and Sacrilege is turning me on. Hell yeah!

Okay, totally ready for that new album.

Also, lemme just link this earth-shattering awesomeness real quick:

(new album coming on Oct. 28 woohoo)

Edited by Jigsaw9

Oh shit, that new Darkthrone song rips. A lot blacker than I had expected, and I actually get a slight Hate Them feeling from this. Culto sounds fantastic too!

The new Inquisition album is delicious. Absolutely monumental!

Edited by Visutox

I like Deafheaven and all, but those are the worst, most unfitting moves I've evern seen anyone do on stage. Was supossed to see them live at the last day of Pstereo last saturday but decided not to buy tickets because I didn't think they would be good enough to pay all that money just for these guys, and after seeing that I'm very happy about it, and I can see I did the right thing. Eeeeew!

gatecreeper-e1470162717416.jpg

Holy shit, that cover art is good. That's actually brilliant. It's the cover of Gatecreeper's (very cool bandname too!) debut album, Sonoran Depravation. Groovy mid-tempo death metal in the vein of Entombed, Dismember, Bolt Thrower, Obituary and more. Sounds great.

Fuck me, this is just sounding too god damned good. This could easily turn out to be the best Alcest release since Le Secret if the rest of the album is as good as the two tracks we've heard. Magnificent!

Edited by Bear

How does everyone feel about Children Of Bodom? 

Frankly, I didn't like their most recent release, I Worship Chaos. I'm more of a Hate Crew Deathroll and Relentless Reckless Forever type of person.

I think they're pretty shit, to be honest. I like Something Wild and Hatebreeder, and I can tolerate Follow the Reaper, but everything after Follow the Reaper is a big, fat turn. It's just awful.

I will se Mayhem perform this album in its entirety this friday. Thought they delivered very good the last two times I saw them, and the new videos of them are looking even better to be honest. This could become something quite special, this. Really looking forward to this!

Mayhem tonight! The entire De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, guys. Holy fuck, this is gonna be good! One Tail, One Head is playing first, and they were fantastic the last time I saw them. Should be fun!

This song is so bad I just can't hate it. It's so god daned awful in so many ways, but the "synth break" is superb. Silly, stupid, dumb as fuck and godfckingawful. So bad it's good. The rest of the song is very standard, though, but those parts of the song just makes it hilarious.

Kodama is Alcest's best release since Souvenirs d'un autre monde. Music-wise it's more or less the same as Écailles de lune and Les Voyages de l'âme, albeit a bit less metallic. The music or songwriting itself isn't better, but unlike both Écailles de lune and Les Voyages de l'âme Kodama doesn't have a track that feels a bit out of place. I think both Solar Song and Beings of Light are excellent songs, but they feel a bit different from the rest. This new album, Kodama, doesn't have a track like that. It's more pierced together in a way.

Sounds absolutely brilliant! I have rarely heard Winterhalter more interesting than on this album. He just keeps getting better and better with each release he's on. Superb drummer.

A small heads up: if you like real black, death, thrash and doom metal I'd recommend you check out Caligari records. This underground label is killer! Alucarda's masterpiece Raw Howls was released by them, and bands such as Evil Priest, Howls of Ebb, Into Coffin, Obscure Evil, Hadit, Demon Head, Inisans and Gloam are some of the band with killer demos/EPs/spilts/albums on the label. I'm currently checking out every band/release on the lable, and it's mostly good or great releases. Killer stuff if you're into old school black/death/thrash/doom metal.

http://caligarirecords.bandcamp.com/

Currently listening to Gloam. Black/doom metal with a small twist. There's a lot to get a hold on here though, so fully understanding the album is gonna take some time. But it sounds very, very promising. Almost sounds a bit old Opeth-esque at times, just blacker, doomier and bleaker. It's weird.