The general Metal discussion thread

I'm not familiar with Belphegor's previous output (yet!) but the new album is indeed nice! Reminds me of Behemoth a bit (but still kinda different and maybe more "technical" has a nice atmosphere).

I fell of the Belphegor-wagon a long time ago and haven't found anything released after Lucifer Incestus interesting. But Blutsabbath, Necrodaemon Terrorsathan and Lucifer Incestus are all fantastic albums.

I still remember when I got into the band, it was in 03 right after the release of Lucifer Incestus. A friend had bought it and brought it too school to show me the awesome video for the title track. We loved it and watched it on replay for the whole day before we suddenly got to listen through the album. Love at first listen. I can't say I view the video the same way today, but being pretty new to metal and rather young it was pretty fucking cool.

Also, I thought I'd start a weekly "the forgotten/overlooked/underrated album of the week" kinda thing to, because it sounded fun in my head. It's pretty self-exlaining, but I pick one album I feel are a bit forgotten/overlooked/underrated and write a bit about it and hopefully people into that sort of metal will check it out. And if people seems to be interested I will continue.

And I will start with a classic album that seems to be a forgotten gem. I just never hear anyoen talka bout it, and I don't get why because it is one of the best albums within the genre.

3605.jpg

Infernäl Mäjesty - None Shall Defy

Forget about the awful, non-fitting cover or their glam-image, this album is a masterpiece and one of the best thrash meta albums ever. Infernäl Majesty played thrash metal that was kinda innovative for its time and very unique. While mostly a pretty pure thash metal album, at times it does lean more towards early death metal. We're talking about a thrash metal album that is pretty evil sounding, and that reminds me a bit of albums such as Seven Churches, Hell Awaits, Black Metal, Welcome to Hell and Scream Bloody Gore, but it never copies any of those albums. Worth checking out if you're into thrash metal, early death metal or just something that kicks ass.

I'm not gonna go to fast here in case someone actually finds anything interesting, but I just decided to throw something out since I've suddenly got internet that works two days in a row. Have had some major problems with my internet for the last month.

GodMacabre_Winterlong.jpg

God Macabre - The Winterlong

So, as we all know the Swedish death metal scene was a major force in the death metal scene back in the late 80's and early 90's with bands such as Nihilist/Entombed, Dismember, Grave, Merciless, Carnage and Unleased, before bands such as At the Gates, Dark Tranquillity, In Flames and Hypocrisy took it a step further with their melodic death metal. But underneath this there was a shitload of bands releasing fantastic demos/EPs/albums that should've become bigger, but that never made it like the mentioned bands. God Macabre, Nirvana 2002, Epitaph, Gorement, Wombbath and Toxaemia are some of these bands. And unlike the Florida death metal scene, the Swedish wasn't very thrasy. It's way heavier and more brutal.

The Winterlong is a short death metal carnage clocking in on just 28 minutes of brutal and doomy, atmospheric, melancholic and rotten death metal of the best kind. It sounds very Swedish, but it doesn't really sounds like any of the Swedish bands of that time. Don't get me wrong, if you put on this you'll hear influences from Nihilist/Entombed, Carnage, Dismember, Grave, Epitaph and even Tiamat, and of course there's lots of Death here as well, and it's a bit Leprosy influenced I'd say, but there's something quite unique about the whole album. The atmoshere is unlike any other death metal album out there, and they just found their own sound.

It's a shame that The Winterlong... were the only output from these Swedes, especially since it's quite short, but it was released in 08 with three other songs that are fabolous as well. But the good thing about this? Well, it's a 28 minute logn death metal carnage that, when finished, you'll put on again because you just crave something more, and with its 28 minutes it never gets dull.

Hands down for one of the best death metal albums of all time.

Some good technical slamming death metal that just dropped(new band).

Found out about Slaughter To Prevail the other day only because lucas munn posted about them on his facebook. Speaking of which, I can't wait for the new Rings Of Saturn album to drop. More insane double bass, blast beats, technical guitar riffage, brutal vocals and alien themed songs.

At the Gates are back with a new album after almost 20 years, and the first proper teaser's here. I'd hoped they'd go back to either of the styles they had before Slaughter of the Soul, but as expected they just seem to continue what they did on SotS. This sounds like a weakend, modernized and watered down SotS. Can't say I'm very excited about this. Shame, because the world really need some good melodic death metal again. We haven't seen much of that lately.

Thought I'd do some genre jumping with my recommendations to get some varity and keep it interesting, so here's something different than the two last.

pharaoh-the-longest-night.jpg

Pharaoh - The Longest Night

Old school power metal in a modern package. That's the best way to describe this fantastic album.  It's a semi-progressive and epic power metal album with lots of power, punch and twist and turns. You can spot some Iron Maiden, some Control Denied, some Manilla Road, some Jag Panzer and some Crimson Glory among others, but the band never rips anyone off. It's a unique album where you easily can spot the influences, but you'll never believe that you're listening to anything but Pharaoh. Fantastic songs with a fantastic, a bit rough vocal performance and a great production. This is newer power metal at its finest. None of this super happy Dragonforce/Power Quest/Freedom Call/whatever bullshit metal. This is power metal how it was done a long time ago. Powerful!

"We were the brave, we were alive

Until we endured the longest night

Now we're enslaved, we've lost our minds

We fell victim to the longest night

And now we're no more"

My! Fucking! God!

Cool, man. I hope they're both enjoyable to you. I'll keep recommending a new album once or twice a week for now, because I've got a lot of gems that deserves way more recognition than what they've got. And it helps me rediscover some albums that I really love, but haven't heard in a while, and that's always fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jDUYzwPYDY

The 27:34 minute long opening track to Darkspace's new album is on youtube, and the album leaked today as well. Just finished the second song on the album and I am really impressed. There's been a small change in sound as it's less harsh than the previous three and they've added some electronic elements to their music, but it still sounds like Darkspace and it's 100% cosmic darkness. Dark, distant and cold, that's what this is.

If you haven't heard Darkspace before you've got something to look forward to. There's not a single band out there like this. There's not even a single band out there that sounds anything like this. The closest I've heard are Paysage d'Hiver, and they're two very different bands both in form of the music they make and the atmosphere they create. Darkspace consists of three members, among them Wroth (Wintherr) of Paysage d'Hiver and Zhaaral of Sun of the Blind. So yeah, quality as fuck. Massive stuff!

After one listen I feel pretty sure that this is a contender to album of the year 2014.

That sounds decent enough, but it ain't all that too be honest. It just sounds a bit too controlled IMO. It lacks madness and mayhem.

Also, that new Darkspace album is gorgeous. I've given it 10-12 spins and it is absolutely magnificent. Fantastic album!

A new recommendation and this time the trip goes to Japan and an album that I really think deserves to be up there with the likes of Black Sabbath, Paranoid, Master of Reality, Rainbow Rising, Sad Wings of Destiny, Physical Graffiti , Deep Purple in Rock, Fireball, Demons and Wizards, Jailbreak and so fucking on from that time. This album is actually that good.

flowersatori.jpg

Flower Travellin' Band - Satori

Flower Travellin' Band played a mix of psychedelic rock and proto-doom metal, and 44 years later this is still THE album to check out if you want to hear classic, Japanese rock. The album is trippy, doomy, gloomy and sinister with Joe Yamanaka distinctive vocals on top and it is to this day still unique. There's nothing out there that sounds anything like this, and it is a must-have for any fans of psychedelic rock, heavy metal, doom metal and rock, as it is the best rock album to ever come out from Japan (after Kagrras best albums of course). There's not really much more to say about this, you just gotta check it out for yourself.

Couldn't find pt.1 or the whole pt. 2., but that'll give you an impression of what this album sounds like.

Coolfact: The whole album was used as a soundtrack to Takashi Miike's Deadly Outlaw: Rekka. That pretty fucking cool.

The new Cannibal Corpse album is kicking my ears in the ass, as expected. Solid reliable slab of steel again from the cannibal dudes.

Can't wait to see them again in November!

I haven't really enjoyed a singe Canniba Corpse album since Chris Barnes-era. I actually own both Worm Infested, The Wretched Spawn and Kill, but never listens to any of them. It's not my cup of death meta at all, it's just not the style I like. But the worst thing about The Wretched Spawn and Kill are Paul Mazurkiewicz and his drumming. While the band has evolved over the 24 years since their debut and gone in a less thrashy and more technical direction, Paul are just doing exactly the same he did 20 years ago. Everything moved on except for him. Heh, it was really annoying.

Going to a concert with the black hardcore sludgers in Okkulokrati, black hardcorers in Haust and a band called Haraball. Best thing? It's free. Aye, that's right. It's fucking free! That's awesome!

I haven't seen the band since 2010, but I expect them to be way better now as they've gained a shitload of experience since then. Still haven't given their new album too many spins yet either, but that should change today.

Great concert last night. The 15 minutes I saw of Haraball was good, Haust delivered some awfully ugly blackened hardcore with conviction and Okkultokrati was heavy as fuck. Great gigs from al of them, especially Haust and Okkultokrati.

Fuck, next years Roadburn looks interesting. Well, there you've got the understatement of the year.

Fields of the Nephilim, Salem's Pot, Monolord and Svartidaudi to mention a few, but the most interesting? This:

roadburn2015goblin.jpg

Oh! My! Fucking! God!