Sign in to follow this  
sai

Earthquake and tsunami in Japan

Since we've been spamming the c-box and other topics full with it, here's a seperate topic. Discuss and inform. Hundreds of lost lives already, 500 injured and another 300 missing.

Yep, been hearing/talking about it almost all day. I can only send my prayers out to all the victims. =(

pray for japan

I was coming home for hard day of my work and then

I see this Japan earthquake news and coming so sad abaut it.

That video of the flood and all the debris engulfing the farming town in Sendai was really hard to watch. :(

I can only send deepest sympathies to all of the people affect by the disaster.

anyone that have twitter/facebook, show that you care: http://twb.ly/f02AU3

this is not a fad to look cool by jumping into the bandwagon, so put the badges on only if you really meant it.

-------

Narita Airport was open for a short while for boarding/taking off few hours ago after tsunami. While landing is still not allowed.

But now are closed again until further notice.

If you have family or friend in Japan, and like to know how they're doing, try to call your/their country's Embassy hot lines.

And if you are in Japan right now, keep this emergency number just in case: 171

You can also try this application to find missing people during tsunami/earthquake in Japan: http://japan.person-finder.appspot.com/?lang=en

------

UPDATE: Haneda airport fully operational. Terminal crowded from yesterday's flight diversions. Public transport returning to normal this morning.

Still getting after-shocks. Tsunami warning still in effect for those on the coast. They're saying both could be for days. I just got up so I'm not sure if chiba is still burning but other than those things I'm just thankful to be in Tokyo right now, we really got off easily when seeing whats happened in Sendai and the looming danger in fukushima. It's horrible and I can only hope things can get stabilized there. The quake was really strong down here but thankfully everything was left standing in the city and considering the scale of the quake, they say if it wasn't for the building codes it really could've been so much worst. Things are slowly beginning to run again here, trains are starting up and the airports I think at least departures are happening.

t'was huge quakes indeed.

just saw that footage of Tokyo's sky scrappers was shaking just like a pile UNO stacko that ready to fall or something. terrifying. :(

EDIT:

Masashi Kishimoto is reported missing after the tsunami :(

I hope the Naruto author is fine.

i see a video of all the water and fire everywhere...and the buildings falling..

augh it was horrible!!! :cry:

I don't think there were many casualities in Tokyo, so a large portion of musicians should be fine. Karyu just blogged about there being the possibility of toxic rain and then deleted it and said that he may have been mistaken, but for everyone to expect the unexpected.

1,300 reported dead, more earthquakes/aftershocks are supposed to be coming.

I've been following this intently and donating money, it's so devastating and the power of mother nature terrifying. Anyone joking about this is a despicable human being.

It seems there was a big explosion in the Fukushima-1 reactor. They'll hold a press conference about it soon.

I really really hope it won't get worst from here.

I don't have Paypal yet but I really would like to donate money. So I'm just going to sign up to the twitter group Chianti linked. Prayers go out to all the victims =(

Also, about that reactor, I heard that they asked the Americans to help them with it in order to contain the damage or something?

I think it's already quite amazing there are 'only' 500-1000 deaths (although this might change) compared to other disasters in the past years. It shows Japan is more or less prepared for such disasters.

I hope everyone is alright though, still so many people not confirmed to be safe. Let alone all the other families and people we don't know of.

I can't imagine what it's like in Japan at the moment :-(

I think it's already quite amazing there are 'only' 500-1000 deaths (although this might change) compared to other disasters in the past years. It shows Japan is more or less prepared for such disasters.

This. Really. The disaster was not that big even though people are really trying to make it sound so.

Of course I feel sorry for everyone who died or got seriously injured or lost someone important there, as always with big nature catastrophes, but still.

This. Really. The disaster was not that big even though people are really trying to make it sound so.

Of course I feel sorry for everyone who died or got seriously injured or lost someone important there, as always with big nature catastrophes, but still.

Maybe you misphrased this, but... "the disaster was not that big." Uh...

• 8.9 magnitude earthquake, one of the biggest, most devastating earthquakes in a century. Just because Japan is equipped to prepare with this, does not mean it wasn't jarring or devastating for everyone who experienced the earthquake itself or any of the 100 aftershocks at magnitudes of 6 and above. The quake was one of the sixth largest of all time and the worst to hit Japan.

• 10ft tsunami that not only virtually destroyed an entire city, killed well over 1000 people, but spread from Japan to Russia to Hawaii and the West Coast of America, where people also died. Thousands of people have died. That means thousands of families have lost loved ones. Hundreds more are still missing and unaccounted for. Thousands of homes are destroyed.

• A six year old girl was crushed and killed by a roof caving in. Men, women, children, animals have drowned in the waves that swept across Sendai.

• Citizens have had to worry about threats of nuclear explosions and meltdowns all night and all day today. Nothing is likely to happen, but try dealing with that all weekend. Millions were without electricity or the ability to contact familiy in the North. Loads of people are still without electricity, gas, water. The word is millions lack the latter and shelters are too full.

Just because Japan is used to earthquakes does not lessen the severity of this. It could have been much, much worse but that does not lessen the serverity of the disaster either. It was still huge. And no one expected the earthquake nor the tsunami. Sendai sure looked well prepared.

not to mention many foreign people working and study there.

Every disaster will always be worldwide matters no matter where.

Japanese authorities said 80,000 people are missing and fear the death toll will rise dramatically in the coming days.

Rise dramatically from 1300+ confirmed dead.

Holy crap. The worst we ever had was 3.7 magnitude, and that shook pretty much. I can't imagine a 8.9 magnitude. It's horrible and definitely not "any less worse" than portrayed on CNN and other news stations. By the way, what happened over at Hawaii and Westcoast USA?

I hope their economy can recover in the shortest period of time possible.

And yes, every single, no matter how large of a disaster is huge when it hits commercial centers like Japan, US cities etc. because then it affects everybody in the world. Best thing that can happen now, is that the death toll doesn't increase too much, and the restoration will be effective and fast.

Also fuck everybody who's making fun of this. I haven't been so ashamed in a long, long time.

Japanese authorities said 80,000 people are missing and fear the death toll will rise dramatically in the coming days.

Rise dramatically from 1300+ confirmed dead.

Where have you heard 80,000? That hasn't been reported here yet as far as I can understand.

Don't get me wrong it's going to be far from the 1,000 some odd they've been saying but 80,000 is shocking and I'm just really hoping thats an inaccuracy. The numbers have being going up every hour and last I heard they're saying at least 1,600 but the tsunami haven't ended yet and they still can't reach a lot of places to be sure as well as trains and boats that haven't been recovered yet that had passengers. so if one is so concerned about measuring disaster by the numbers, there you go. =/ While it definitely could've been worst and that in itself is a blessing, saying "it's not that bad" is rather short-sighted and insensitive, especially considering it isn't over yet and the damage this is going to do will extend far beyond the upcoming days.

Sign in to follow this