Sign in to follow this  
sai

Earthquake and tsunami in Japan

Japanese authorities said 80,000 people are missing and fear the death toll will rise dramatically in the coming days.

Rise dramatically from 1300+ confirmed dead.

Where have you heard 80,000? That hasn't been reported here yet as far as I can understand.

A couple of British news reporters, namely the BBC and the Daily Mail. They said 80,000 are suspected missing in the Miyagi prefecture and that 200,000 have fled their homes. I'm not sure what to believe in regards to numbers when information is coming in from all angles, but even so to trivialise this because Japan was "prepared" for it and claiming it's not that big of a disaster seems... so horrible when a staggering amount more could be dead.

Also, @sai... The last I heard no one was harmed in Hawaii because everyone was evacuated inland. One died in America and three were swept out to sea, but on the news there were images of people just staying on the beach to photograph it/riding their bikes by/generally ignoring the threat, which sort of makes a mockery of the disaster itself.

Ah I see. Well, I really hope it doesn't go there. I've been talking to my folks throughout this and I know information can get wonky on all sides, even here. It certainly isn't something to trivialize, especially since the situation hasn't stabilized yet.

@SUBLIMINAL

That's America for you. Not all Americans ofcourse, I don't try to be narrow-minded here, but it indeed looks like they are not taking it seriously at all. They should be happy their houses and family members are all safe and sound.

@SUBLIMINAL

That's America for you. Not all Americans ofcourse, I don't try to be narrow-minded here, but it indeed looks like they are not taking it seriously at all. They should be happy their houses and family members are all safe and sound.

You'll have to forgive our stupidity. Let's just say the people getting swept away because they're tanning or taking pictures is a process of "natural selection." Literally ^^ .

http://i.imgur.com/uZbK6.jpg

Its idots to mess Pearl Harbor in this mess

Need to write those names down and stalk them. Or hit them. Or drag them to Japan.

No, seriously, people can be ignorant at times. It's a disaster and all they're talking about is Pearl Harbor?

Unrelated rant:

It's funny because most of the people posting are 15~40 and have no direct relation to the event at all since they wouldn't have even been conceived for at least another 20 years.

Now if only they'd take into consideration all of the less-than-stellar stuff the US did in WWII, Vietnam, Korea, and the Gulf Wars~ . How come "god never punishes" us for that? Because we're America?

OH that's right. Hurricane Katrina was god's way of punishing the gays because they were having a pride parade ^__________^ . Srry i4got

I really hope things get better.

Ah so proud of my fellow Americorns. I hope those with such strong beliefs in "karma" for incidents committed years and years ago have their doomsday kit ready because looking at our glorious track record, if there is any place that should be worried about that...lol...well...let's just say I won't be going back home for 2012. Ignorance

Seriously though, people like that always turn up during a tragedy. Thinking they're being clever or witty when it's only their ignorance showing. Best to ignore them and keep showing the love, thankfully most people aren't that pathetic.

Pearl Harbor was practically 80% our fault anyway. I wish people paid attention in history class before opening their mouth.

Say what? US stopped trading with Japan due to their expansion to European colonies like French Indochina, and seriously threatening Australia, Alaska and the Philippines. After US stopped selling them oil, they decided to take the oil-rich areas of the pacific and attacked Pearl Harbor to protect their invasions of US interference. So in fact, it can be considered that 100% of the fault goes to US since they did not care to fund the Japanese conquest of Asia. That would have been practically the same, that nobody would have cared if Nazi Germany conquered all of eastern Europe. Christ.

Pearl Harbor was practically 80% our fault anyway. I wish people paid attention in history class before opening their mouth.

Say what? US stopped trading with Japan due to their expansion to European colonies like French Indochina, and seriously threatening Australia, Alaska and the Philippines. After US stopped selling them oil, they decided to take the oil-rich areas of the pacific and attacked Pearl Harbor to protect their invasions of US interference. So in fact, it can be considered that 100% of the fault goes to US since they did not care to fund the Japanese conquest of Asia. That would have been practically the same, that nobody would have cared if Nazi Germany conquered all of eastern Europe. Christ.

I'm referring to the damage. Putting planes too close together, ships all in the same place, etc. I was forced to watch "Tora Tora Tora." : /

Let's all blame the entire population of countries everywhere for something their great (great great great great etcetc) grandparents did years ago and forget the many, many horrific things our own country has done. Let's show the world how historically intelligent we are.

Every German is a descendant of Hitler.

Every Japanese person bombed America

I am Stalin's child.

My said that the reactor exploded as well (just got off the phone with her). : ( I guess things are just going to get worse for a while...

Edit: Was that reported already? I was under the impression that it was still contained.

http://e.nikkei.com/e/fr/tnks/Nni20110312D12JF549.htm

^9,500 unaccounted for in Minamisanriku, miyagi. On the NHK live stream (which is what I've been tuned in for awhile) http://wwitv.com/tv_channels/6810.htm

As far as the explosion. As far as I know they are still saying the reactor is not what blew or that the explosion was not in the reactor's container, but rather due to the wall that came down. But at the same time they're saying that there are amounts of radiation in the vicinity and that 3 of the 4 injured workers have been affected by radiation but it wasn't significant damage to them. Who knows what's really happening but officially they aren't saying its the reactor that blew.

Yeah I heard that thing blew up as well :/

Reaction to post more above me: those are probably the same people who claim America did not loose Vietnam

That would have been practically the same, that nobody would have cared if Nazi Germany conquered all of eastern Europe. Christ.

Except for Stalin. But we noticed that afterwards.

Sorry for double-post btw

There was a press conference about the "success" of them putting sea water on the overheating reactor to cool it down and prevent a nuclear incident, radiation levels have reportedly lowered.

Ah so proud of my fellow Americorns. I hope those with such strong beliefs in "karma" for incidents committed years and years ago have their doomsday kit ready because looking at our glorious track record, if there is any place that should be worried about that...lol...well...let's just say I won't be going back home for 2012. Ignorance <3

Seriously though, people like that always turn up during a tragedy. Thinking they're being clever or witty when it's only their ignorance showing. Best to ignore them and keep showing the love, thankfully most people aren't that pathetic.

^Agree

And yet they dont remember that USA is in deep shit atm.

WOWS FOR KARMA. LAWL.

So ironic...(sarcasm) :banjo:

Tho i wish the best and pray for Japan to stabilize soon.

I pity the fool that still lives in grudge of the past. Their lives must be so not peaceful, cos they just this addicted to rub salt onto old wounds anytime possible.

I am not even mad. Just sad.

back to topic, i have just got home and heard about the explosion. i really hope they will get some good payback for all these suffering.

I agree with Chianti. If everybody would be like that Chianti would've probably shot me to the moon for my country terrorising his country for over 200 years (Netherlands - Indonesia). New generations can't do anything about it, and people would be wasting their time with that useless thinking

Overall now there is little to no risk from Fukushima's #1 power plant.

1 person died when Indonesia what hit by a tsunami, they were swept away by it

1 person died in Crescent City and six were swept away by the tsunami but were rescued.

UK, US, France, Germany, China and others send rescue teams of doctors, firemen, search dogs, etc. to help search for the thousands lost. All of them have been deployed already as far as I'm aware.

just read local news website,

said that USA's aircrafts just arrived in Japan now.

also, the explosion is mentioned as level 4.

and will only affecting locally, around the explosion area.

OT:

@sai that'd be terrible! but the two countries now are connected to each other. The foods, the language etc.

Maybe even bff? :P

Sign in to follow this