Neon

Last movie you saw.

A Colt is My Passport - Probably one of the more famous of "Nikkatsu" films, A Colt Is My Passport is a mix of noir and spaghetti westerns. Even the theme song is very western-like and it plays many and many times in the film. It's very catchy song and there's different versions of it for various moods (jazzy, surf). The ending is great !

Yes! Fantastic film. That "desert" scene is like taken straight out of a western film. That scene could easily've been directed by Sergio Leone himself. Awesome stuff.

Silence of the Lambs - Yes, again. Amazing crime/thriller movie from the early 90s with phenomenal performances by Anthony Hopkins and Jodie Foster. Perfect pacing, a continuous creepy vibe throughout the movie and the suspense throughout the final few scenes makes this one of my favourite movies. Definitely not for everyone (since it can get a little bit gore-y at times), but if you're into this kind of stuff it's definitely a classic.

Last movie I watched was The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. There's not much left to say about such a legendary movie, so I'll just keep it short. Deserves its legendary status, great set design, great atmosphere. 

Also can totally see where the band cali gari got some #looks inspiration, the Doc. himself at some points reminded me of Ao for some reason lmao

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is one of those mandatory horror films. It might not be your favourite, but it's one that everyone who's sliightly interested in horror should see, not just once, but 3-4 times at least. And it's one of horror cinema's biggest nightmare, 98% thanks to the set designs. Faaaaaantastic film!

Watched Grave Encounters 2 today... I sort of enjoyed the first part, one of the better found footage horror movies I've seen (along with the original [.rec]). However, this sequel was just total, utter garbage. Characters were really, REALLY dumb and unlikeable. 

The Third Man - Dark and atmospheric noir with a cinematography that is out of this world. Everything here is amazing, but the best part is the cinematography. A film filled with memorable scenes. Beautiful.

22 Jump Street - I really liked the first one so I had some big expectations to this, and I thought it delivered very well. More or less the same quality as the first one, and if you liked the first one you should enjoy this too. More of the same, realy. Childish and hilarious.

The Wolverine - I am among the very few who thought X-Men Origins: Wolverine was a decent action film (5,5/10), and enjoyable. But it was a very weak X-Men film. I mean, it wasn't an X-Men film. It was a lackluster Mission Impossible film with Wolverine. This however, this one here feels like an X-Men film and it is better in every way possible. It captures that X-Men feeling. The plot is allright, the action's great and the characters are cool. The only thing I can complain about is the way they dressed Viper towads the end of the film. So cliché to dress a badgirl like that.

Though, I'll have to admit that it is a shame that Darren Aronofsky wasn't given the job, most likely because he wanted to make it into a very violent and sexy film. I think he could've made something fantastic.

X-Men: Days of Future Past - This isn't just the best X-Men film up til now, but the best superhero movie since Batman (1989). I can't really find uch to put my finger on here. It's bloocy excellent, and the action sequences are top, top, top notch. THAT scene with Quicksilver won everything. Nothing short of brilliant. Fantastic!

Captain Harlock

Finally saw this CG movie. Very pretty to look at, would've been even better if I saw at the big screen. Plot wise, there were many head scratching moments but it was average overall.

Justice League: War

This may be my 2nd favorite Justice League animated feature. I really liked the visuals here, especially on the costume design. It was very interesting to see the members meet for the first time.

The last movie I watched entirely was Iron Man 3 (in the meantime I tried watching The ABCs of Death twice but the two times I was having a meal and that movie is not the kind of stuff to watch while eating, so...). It almost looked like I was watching X-Men cause those powerful guys remember me mutants lol

Superheroes - A documentary about real life superheroes. It starts off fantastic, but then it get's a bit too serious for my liking. But it wasn't bad, I enjoyed it. But I wanted to see mroe of the weird side of it all. I mean, it opens with a weirdo who calls himself Mr. Xtreme, and he shows off some of hils skills. Among his skills are "Super Xtreme Death Metal Fighting System", and that is absolutely hilerious and the best part of the film. But that's the only HUGE highlight of the film.

Yellow - I bought the vinyl of this one and a half year ago and so, and I've been waiting for this film to become available for us mortals, and I finally recived the film in the mail today. 26 intense minutes of stylish (neo-)noir with breathtaking visuals and a fantastic soundtrack by Antoni Maiovvi. This film really lived up to my expectations, and they were huge as fuck. Immense film that I will be watching again many times in the future.

2zdzonc.jpg

Yellow, limited VHS fan package

- limited edition DVD + postcard

- highly limited edition VHS (only 66 available)

- YELLOW original poster (Graham Humphreys artwork A2)

- 2x limited edition YELLOW Lobby Cards

I've also got the soundtrack on vinyl, so I am a happy man now.

Stand Up Guys - Allright crime comedy with Walken, Pacino and Arkin as three old ex-gangsters. At times hilarious, but very uneven and a bit too childish and generic. But it was enjoyable and Walken was fantastic.

Maleficent - I didn't expect shit from this film, yet I was disappointed. God damn, this is poor. I like the concept, the re-imaging by telling the story from Maleficent's side, but this is so poorly executed. The story itself is very, very poor, the acting is godawful, the characters are bad, the atempts are humour are pathetic and it's visually awful. Everything here, from the backgrounds, to the monsters and costumes looks so cheap and artificial. And despite coming this year, the CGI looks awfully dated. There you've got one of the problems with computer effects. For most part they don't stand the test of time, and they get dated within a few years at most. There's a few exceptions to this, but not too many.

Also, it doesn't help that Angelina Jolie looks like a long time drug addict. Jesus christ, she looks sick.

As I said, I like the concept, but this is so poorly executed that it's nothing but Brothers Grimm v2.0, another film with a fantastic concept, but poor script, poor visuals and bad acting, even from the superb actors (which is something this film lacks). This film, along with Brothers Grimm, deserves a re-writing and a remake.

A budget on 180m and yet it looks dated as fuck... and it's not even gone a year. Oh dear, the art of film has really taken a sad direction. This is fucked up.

Beltracchi: The Art of Forgery - Documentary about a dude who made forgeries of famous painters (of course he painted stuff that wasn't in the records previously, or at least nobody knew what the original looked like) and got away with it for almost 40 years. It wasn't anything special, maybe a bit boring and slow at parts but all in all it was quite okay.

Constantine - I've been postponing watching this for a long time but finally got down to it with a friend last night. It was actually pretty fun! Something like Blade, so more like a fantasy-action movie instead of horror (which somehow I expected). Decent flick, and Keanu was suitably 'badass' in it, heh.

Killing Them Softly - Oh fuck, what a film! Slow-burning, atmospheric, credible and gritty noir-inspired crime from Andrew Dominik, who with his three films have just gotten much, much better with each of them. Brad Pitt's doing one of the best performances of his life so far, and as far as films goes only Inglourious Basterds, Snatch oand Se7en are better.

Dirty and dark crime with long, credible and so, so, so well-written dialogs, brutal and realistic violence and a fantastic portrayal of the different sides to the gangsters personality.

The only reason I am not giving this a 9/10 is because of the slow-mo shooting scene. Could've done with the slow-mo. But other than that, great. Andrew Dominik is a really impressive director. I am awaiting his next film, but with his slowpoke tempo I guess that we'll gotta wait a long time for that.

Sleeping Beauty (1959) - Starting with the original, now finally remastered in Blu-Ray. After all these years still one of my favourite Disney movies. The new remaster looks gorgeous if you compare it to the original film. The voice acting is of course very dated but it doesn't really bother me a lot. Watching this classic pretty much convinced me once again that Maleficent is one of the best written Disney villains of all time. Insanely creepy, cruel, but yet so elegant and classy. The christening scene is still my favourite scene of the movie merely for how tense it is. You simply KNOW something bad's going to happen because this lady could possibly not show up uninvited out of spite, right? Great pacing, lovely characters (Merryweather is still my favourite of the fairies!) and an amazing ending battle. Will definitely get the Blu-Ray when it releases in Europe!

Maleficent (2014) - Following right up with the reboot. I was really excited for this movie because of Sleeping Beauty being one of my favourites. Did I have high hopes? No, not really. Yet, unlike Bear, I thought it was a good movie. Elle Fanning's acting left something to be desired (overly joyful Aurora started to grate me at some point urgh) and there were a few minor details that bothered me (lack of accuracy when it came to the personality and casting of the three good fairies, Maleficent not turning into a dragon herself) but overall I really liked it. Angelina Jolie slays as evil Maleficent too (DAT CHRISTENING SCENE). I personally wished her make-up and outfits would've resembled the classic outfit a bit more, but that's what it's a reboot for I guess. I'm really not an expert such as Bear is, I just sort of go on "did I like watching it". Which is funny considering how awfully picky in movies I am. But since this movie has mixed reviews the best way to judge would just to watch it yourself.

Oh dear, don't call me an expert, Sai. I am not. I, like you I think, rate films after how much they entertained me, and nothing more than that. I don't break down films, study them or care to identify underlying themes in films or anything like that. I just put them on, watch them and then rate them for how much they managed to entertain me. I'm very simple minded like that.

I'm not a very good reviewer, which is why I just write a little about the films I watch on different forums. And the reason for me not beign a good review, other than being a poor writer, is my lack of interest in breaking down films and/or look for underlying theme, such as the rape-reference in Maleficent, which was quite obvious. But those kind of things I usually don't notice, mostly because I don't care. :P

Aso, great review of Sleeping Beauty. Fantastic film, just like most Disney films up until the mid/late 90's (-Winnie the Pooh which I've disliked since I was a kid)

In all honesty I completely looked past that reference too LOL. I'm so oblivious to underlying themes unless people deliberately explain them to me. I've enjoyed films that others deemed terrible and I've found films boring that others praised to the high heavens. In the end I feel like it's all subjective to the person who watches it, except of course in cases where everything is just so bad that even the regular consumer can't enjoy it anymore (read: Twilight).

The old Disney movies are my favourites too, I think the last Disney animation I truly enjoyed was The Emperor's New Groove from 2000. Probably the most hilarious Disney animated movie I've seen in my life, Kronk is so incredibly important.

Oh damn, I actualy forgot about some of the late 90's Disney films like The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan and   Fantasia 2000. These are all great.

As for the 00's, I really like The Emperor's New Groove, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Treasure Planet and The Princess and the Frog, with The Emperor's New Groove and The Princess and the Frog as the best ones. These two are very good, especially The Emperor's New Groove are fantastic. The only Disney film I've watched at the cinema. :D

^ YES BEAR! I still can't believe 'The Emperor's New Groove' didn't get any award, it's easily the movie I'll instantly remember if anyone asks me about my childhood movie viewing. =D

Answering the thread question:

The Room

Just look at the movie's highlights (if you have, like, 2 minutes and 45 seconds of time to kill), I'm literally wasting my life watching such 'masterpieces.' It certainly deserves the title "the Citizen Kane of bad movies."

Awards are overrated and doesn't mean shit. All these big awards have been a joke since long before I got into films.

Also, The Room is fantastic. One of very few films I've given 1/10 (which equals so bad it's fantastic).

Blue Ruin - Watched this without knowing anything whatsoever about it... well, it sure packed a punch. Quite gloomy and depressing. It was okay I guess.

Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa (unrated) - As we've seen with every single Jackass films they're getting older and older, and less and less extreme. So them making an actual film with a plot in this one, really works to their advance. It's not a fantastic plot, but it's both allright and heartwarming to be honest. The stuns? Very casual stunts, and a lot of them are the same as the ones thousands of youtubers does. But now and then, like 3-4 times throughout the film, there's some over the top stunts which ae just too funny. Some of these scenes had me crying to be honest. The opening scene, resturant scene, beauty scene, toy ride scene and most of all the striptease scene had me going. Jesus, I almost laughed so hard I shat myself. But the film is so uneven, and that's why it isn't a masterpiece. But it's well worthy of anyones time.

Non-Stop - Cool non-stop action (pun intended! LOL!) with Liam Neeson playing a badass guy, as he's come to be known as in recent years. It's not top notch all over, but it sure is very enjoyable through the 105 minutes it lasts. There are a few annoying things here though, such as how the text messages are shwon on screen. Very annoying, but not fucking annoying. So it doesn't take away too much from the film. Liam Neeson is badass as always.

The Physician - Decent film, but I don't get why this has gained so much praise. Its pacing are very uneven and it just feels way too long,e ven though it should't be considering the subjects it deals with. But there's just something missing here. But yeah, deent drama-adventure, but I'd rather I had spent my time on something else.

An Idiot Abroad, season 3 - An Idiot Abroad are simpy the best travellprogram ever. Hilarious from start to finish, and this was a great ending. Karl Pilkington is as fantastic as always, but this time he's got some company by no other than Warwick Davis, and his dwarfism creates lots of fun here. But this doesn't only create hilarious moments, it also helps creating some touching moments as well. Some truely touching moments. Have to admit that 3 episodes is at least 3 too few, though, but it's still fantastic.

An Idiot Abroad isn't just the best travelprogram ever, but one of the best series ever made. Hilarious!

Black Mirror - Damn, this mini-series packs a punch. Shame it's only two seasons with just six episodes in total. I love the anthology format to begin with, and these stories were really neat and frightening (or more like unnerving). Most of them could be even quite plausible in the near future. I liked how it concentrated more on human relations than hi-tech sci-fi shizz. Makes for a good viewing, highly recommended.

Danger 5 - Okay, I'm almost at a loss for words. Wow. xDDD This has gotta be one of the funniest mini-series I've ever seen. If you like over-the-top cheesy B-movie "so bad it's good" stuff it's mandatory to watch this. I mean....damn. XD There's a 2nd season coming soon too!