Himeaimichu

The top 10 Vkei band everyone needs to listen to (NOT A COMPLETELY SERIOUS LIST)

First, sorry if this is in the wrong section. I'm still relatively new, so, sorry xD. Second, this is a semi-serious, mostly joking top 10 list of the 10 Vkei bands everyone needs to listen to that I posted on my facebook page. Feel free to read and have a laugh. (And I'm sorry if it offends anyone. I'm mostly biased toward AnguraKei and EroguroKei, so I kind of got serious about those since I love those. But most of it is just joking.)

Link: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=334537240257991&id=322201821491533 

Edit: First off, I would like to explain that I'm NOT trying to promote my page. I just simply thought you all would find the list funny. I originally was going to post it here, but I decided why not post it on my reviews page and link it here? I'm sorry if it looked like I was shamelessly promoting. I would never go as low as to try to promote myself because I actually do find people who shamelessly promote themselves to be annoying. 

Edited by AimiGen7

fuggggggg :-DDDDDDD cant believe its 2k16 and people still believe that ''kimonos = angura kei'' meme........................

Edited by Tokage

47 minutes ago, saishuu said:

Yeah, I get that you're new and that's okay, but you definitely shouldn't be creating a thread to basically promote your FB page.

I'm not trying to promote. I just am too lazy to copy and paste the entire thing and put it on the thread. If I would promote, I would say "HEY! CHECK OUT MY PAGE!!"

1 hour ago, Tokage said:

fuggggggg :-DDDDDDD cant believe its 2k16 and people still believe that ''kimonos = angura kei'' meme........................

To be fair, there is no one definition on what AnguraKei is. Some say it's all Kimono Vkei, others say it's a subgenre of Eroguro. I go with the urban dictionary definition "Angura is a shortened form of the english word 'underground'. This is a cultural movement in Japan that dated back to the 1960's and had a great expression in independent theatre. 
It is a movement who influenced many manga artists who tried to find a unique identity for their own cultures. 
It also linked with the Eroguro style, but the main difference was that angura is darker and more formal. The use of Japanese uniform, kimono, or other traditional garb is very common in angura-kei bands." Which means that bands like Memento Mori, Inugami Circus Dan, R-Shitei, Orochi, possibly Kagrra, and Kiryu can fit into the definition, but an OsareKei band that wears Kimono wouldn't

Edited by AimiGen7

I feel the whole "true angura" thing (I mean acts like Strawberry Song Orchestra, Guruguru Eigakan, Inugami Circus Dan, Dagashi Kashi, Ningen Isu)'s mostly about bands drawing their influence from retro aesthetics from the period between like... the '30s - '80s or something, possibly some degree of nationalism, and also works of authors/artists such as Edogawa Ranpo, Shuji Terayama ( + other stuff connected to that whole Tenjo Sajiki gang), Suehiro Maruo etc. + I guess in some cases acts connected to the whole  80s new wave scene, especially the Nagomu Records label, also had some influence... Groups like Zin-Say, Karate Bakabon or Uchoten for example seem to have had some impact on the bleep-bloop side of things and I guess they could arguably count as some sort of pre-VK predecessor to the angura scene in a sense.. I see some influences from those groups in acts such as Muchi Muchi Anago, Shinjuku Gewalt, Metronome etc.... And of course a part of it is also just kind of arbitrarily determined by means of the bands certain bands mostly play with, I guess. Probably something like that whole funky white raccoon face aesthetic's a better indicator of "trve" angura-ness than kimonos, although I guess angura bands do like their uniforms from time to time.. Still, I'd definitely not consider acts like R-Shitei, Memento Mori, Orochi, Kagrra, or Kiryu to belong to the sublabel. R-Shitei's mostly just flirting with the retro aesthetics from time to time but doesn't really reflect any of it in their music or lyrics from what I've seen and heard..

The whole "darker and more formal" thing's sort of been memed into existence by people who somehow consider acts like Deathgaze to be angura or eroguro, and it's not really accurate, because some prominent and essential angura acts like Guruguru Eigakan or their offshoot Taiheiyou Belt, and even acts like Shinjuku Gewalt aren't actually all that dark or formal when it comes to the music. If anything, ''nostalgic'' would be a much better descriptor for the genre as a whole..

Im 1000% sure i could probably write a longer and better post about this but i'm sort of half drunk rn lmao sorry, i hope you caught my drift though.... maybe sb else will swoop in as well and add to this

2 minutes ago, Tokage said:

I feel the whole "true angura" thing (I mean acts like Strawberry Song Orchestra, Guruguru Eigakan, Inugami Circus Dan, Dagashi Kashi, Ningen Isu)'s mostly about bands drawing their influence from retro aesthetics from the period between like... the '30s - '80s or something, possibly some degree of nationalism, and also works of authors/artists such as Edogawa Ranpo, Shuji Terayama ( + other stuff connected to that whole Tenjo Sajiki gang), Suehiro Maruo etc. + I guess in some cases acts connected to the whole  80s new wave scene, especially the Nagomu Records label, also had some influence... Groups like Zin-Say, Karate Bakabon or Uchoten for example seem to have had some impact on the bleep-bloop side of things and I guess they could arguably count as some sort of pre-VK predecessor to the angura scene in a sense.. I see some influences from those groups in acts such as Muchi Muchi Anago, Shinjuku Gewalt, Metronome etc.... And of course a part of it is also just kind of arbitrarily determined by means of the bands certain bands mostly play with, I guess. Probably something like that whole funky white raccoon face aesthetic's a better indicator of "trve" angura-ness than kimonos, although I guess angura bands do like their uniforms from time to time.. Still, I'd definitely not consider acts like R-Shitei, Memento Mori, Orochi, Kagrra, or Kiryu to belong to the sublabel. R-Shitei's mostly just flirting with the retro aesthetics from time to time but doesn't really reflect any of it in their music or lyrics from what I've seen and heard..

The whole "darker and more formal" thing's sort of been memed into existence by people who somehow consider acts like Deathgaze to be angura or eroguro, and it's not really accurate, because some prominent and essential angura acts like Guruguru Eigakan or their offshoot Taiheiyou Belt, and even acts like Shinjuku Gewalt aren't actually all that dark or formal when it comes to the music. If anything, ''nostalgic'' would be a much better descriptor for the genre as a whole..

Im 1000% sure i could probably write a longer and better post about this but i'm sort of half drunk rn lmao sorry, i hope you caught my drift though.... maybe sb else will swoop in as well and add to this

I get your point. I guess though we should all take Vkei subgenres with a grain of salt though because, we all realy define them differenty.  Though I'll always argue that Memento Mori is an AnguraKei band because for most of their time, they did have the nostalgiac aesthetic, especially in the lyrics. In fact, they didn't even wear Kimono when they first began. Ai's outfit actually resembled Meiji Era military uniforms, although more lacy. And the original recording of "Sakurabi Awaki Samidare Ni" used a Taishogoto (A harp from the Taisho Era that used typewriter keys) They did delve into general Kimono Vkei during their first 2 mini albums, but with the release of Fuyu Shogun and Ozashiki Asobi To Iki Na Taboo, went back to their more nostalgic roots. Also, some of their songs would begin with old recordings of traditional Japanese music. For Kuroyuri To Kage (The band that the former members of Memento Mori are in) you could say they're definitely AnguraKei influenced, but are really more of a cross between Neo-90's Vkei and EroguroKei, as they began associating themselves more with Eroguro Art, and talked about more modern topics, but keeping the elements of horror and nonsense that both AnguraKei and EroguroKei are known for. 
For R-Shitei, I guess the stance on them being AnguraKei is kind of ambiguous because, well, while they do play around with nostalgiac aesthetics, their lyrical topics are mostly about issues like Mental Health in Japan, Domestic Abuse, etc. 

You know way more than I do though, because I've only been a part of the Vkei scene in general for 2 years xD

5 minutes ago, doombox said:

Tfw you came looking to see if you agreed with a top 10 list but there wasn't actually a top 10 list. 

There is a list... it's in a link.... 

2 minutes ago, AimiGen7 said:

There is a list... it's in a link.... 

I clicked it and it names like 3 bands then just list of different styles of vk. So I was just expressing that it's not actually a top 10 list. 

1 minute ago, doombox said:

I clicked it and it names like 3 bands then just list of different styles of vk. So I was just expressing that it's not actually a top 10 list. 

Well, it was mostly a joking list. I got the idea from Gigguk's "Top 20 Anime that you really need to watch". It was not meant to be a completely serious list. Just a joke list poking fun at the Vkei scene, and expressing my undying love for Angura and EroguroKei xD 

5 minutes ago, AimiGen7 said:

Well, it was mostly a joking list. I got the idea from Gigguk's "Top 20 Anime that you really need to watch". It was not meant to be a completely serious list. Just a joke list poking fun at the Vkei scene, and expressing my undying love for Angura and EroguroKei xD 

I know. I think you missed the part where my reply was not completely serious (I'll try to be more obvious next time). 

Just now, doombox said:

I know. I think you missed the part where my reply was not completely serious. 

Well now I feel like an idiot. xD

Sorry. My only explanation is, Poe's law, and I'm really just an idiot who has a hard time detecting sarcasm xD

A small announcement of a change in the list: I changed a few of the mentions in the list to make it less biased toward my love for AnguraKei and EroguroKei, so if you've already read, reread. 

"Mejibray is like the SAO of VisualKei."

That was the best line in the whole post XD

It was fun to read, though more than a "top ten of bands" it's a "top ten of things to try out in VK"

47 minutes ago, Komorebi said:

"Mejibray is like the SAO of VisualKei."

That was the best line in the whole post XD

It was fun to read, though more than a "top ten of bands" it's a "top ten of things to try out in VK"

Thanks~

The reason I had the title like that was purposefully misleading a little bit, as part of the joke. But I didn't want to make people too mad so I explained from the get-go it wasn't all too serious

2 minutes ago, a11 said:

aimi whats the top ten ? i just am too lazy to log in fb

You don't have to be logged in to read it, you know? 

And it's a pretty wordy list, and shortening it would take the comedy out