Sign in to follow this  
blackdoll

J-music and money/youtube/global?

I was wondering how much these artists and bands are making? And how it compares to other countries.

I think Babymetal is rich cause they have views and toured with gaga also きゃりーぱみゅぱみゅ since her views are up there too and had her spot with pon pon pon. But compared top Brazil's annita and big kpop it doesn't compare. Is it because Japan MV's aren't sexual?

Visual kei guys wear makeup like k-pop. is it because of the weird costumes, and sometime make up choices? But they do go to EU and anime conventions? Why have some bands been able to kinda make it big and other not? do they care about money or are do they just want to make a unique kind of music, but plenty of people say vk is generic.

is it as simple as a countries population or discrimination?

I know you might like that it as a small scene but them being the musicians you love don't they deserve a lot of money? or they could dream themselves about being a global star?

Isn't it the other way round? Kpop took the makeup, hairstyles and overall androgynous looks from Visual Kei.

its not about who you think took what not that i said that, its about them getting more money and global and why?

its not about who you think took what not that i said that, its about them getting more money and global and why?

I was just correcting that part because Kpop took from Visual kei; not the other way round.

I cannot provide a very detailed explanation for your question, but if you want to compare Visual kei and Kpop in the west, I think there are a lot of differences that keep them separate and experiencing different realities.

Kpop is basically western pop, sung in Korean but the basic melodies are in the western style, a bit of English here and there, a bit of skin from both men and women for the sex appeal factor and that's how they made it. Kpop doesn't want to introduce people to something new, instead it gives people the same thing but a bit refined. Now, I'm not convinced Kpop is THAT popular in the west, I might even dare say it may be declining a little bit because it has become repetitive and too westernised.

Visual Kei, on the other hand, even in its most mainstream expression is still something that basically appeals to "outsiders", it still retains many attributes that keep it from being totally mainstream such as androgynous looks that basically defy gender roles, thought-provoking lyrics, the melodies themselves are many times an acquired taste, they are not necessarily conceived to appeal to the mainstream, etc.

Two different uncomparable genres, one is pop and the other rock and rock isn't as massive as pop is.

I was just correcting that part because Kpop took from Visual kei; not the other way round.

I cannot provide a very detailed explanation for your question, but if you want to compare Visual kei and Kpop in the west, I think there are a lot of differences that keep them separate and experiencing different realities.

Kpop is basically western pop, sung in Korean but the basic melodies are in the western style, a bit of English here and there, a bit of skin from both men and women for the sex appeal factor and that's how they made it. Kpop doesn't want to introduce people to something new, instead it gives people the same thing but a bit refined. Now, I'm not convinced Kpop is THAT popular in the west, I might even dare say it may be declining a little bit because it has become repetitive and too westernised.

Visual Kei, on the other hand, even in its most mainstream expression is still something that basically appeals to "outsiders", it still retains many attributes that keep it from being totally mainstream such as androgynous looks that basically defy gender roles, thought-provoking lyrics, the melodies themselves are many times an acquired taste, they are not necessarily conceived to appeal to the mainstream, etc.

Two different uncomparable genres, one is pop and the other rock and rock isn't as massive as pop is.

i never said that, though n sync was feminine and stuff. modernly they look a better asian justin beiber. 

but otherwinse nice explanation. though since it was just on Family guy idk if its declining. Psy seems to be giving taylor swift a run too with his veiws 

To break it down:

Rock vs. Pop

Rock made the most profit when culturally it became a part of Pop culture. This started to die off in the 80's but hair metal became a sensation. Hair metal was then killed off for the next wave of acts that were assimilated into the record industries more reliable formulaic machine for hits. Record labels like Mercury began purposefully killing off hair metal bands.

Eventually pop punk, grunge, nu metal and other genres were manipulated in the main stream to become represented by the producer controlled music making machine.

Why have a band completely in control of their music and writing what they want when they want? Would you not make a lot more money having an inner circle of producers who have mastered making hits, and creating the mainstream landscape of what a hit is?

Instead of investing in bands who may go any which direction, it is more lucrative to hire performers who will treat it as more of a job, and sing the songs written for them, dance to the choreography created for them, endorse the products your sponsors give to them, etc..

And if some kind of rock is popular, we'll study the trend with a focus group, then get the producer to hold their hand through a simple track, we'll get a director to come up with a topical video to get attention, the lyricist's will come up with a catchy provocative line that will be repeated until it gets into people's heads, then the people will repeat the lines and memes to advertise for us, for free. Wardrobe will get them something trendy, then we'll get PR to get some interviews, and create some kind of juicy scandal for the group.

Then we'll pay stations a lot of money to play us often, iTunes to feature us heavily, Youtube to recommend our video, etc...

Then we'll make a bunch of money, give a good chunk to execs, producers, lyricists, then pay off all the marketing, and other costs, and we'll throw a few bucks at the band. Oh wait, we 'advanced' the band all sorts of money when we paid for that new guitar, the gas in the tourbus, their catering, etc etc... Better cut down how much we gave them.

Then compare that to moderately successful VK bands filming a PV in the parking garage a thousand other bands played in, in some flame retardant outfit that 99 percent of people would not be caught dead wearing, and a bass player who looks better than most girls, playing a song in a low drop C tuning, over vocals still high pitched as hell, in a style of music that is no longer popular or never has been popular in the mainstream.

Then they take that PV, and include it as a bonus for the limited edition, cd only release not on iTunes, and not uploaded to Youtube unless somebody decides to do it against their wishes. And the majority of viewers are international viewers since Japanese have their own sites and ways of digesting media to choose from as well.

And they compete in the second biggest music market in the world, with a huge amount of other independent visual kei artists, many of them producing their own music, and not having doors opened to them, no big funding, and a lot of bands still survive somehow, and bands like Royz, Kiryu, etc.... enter the top ten of the charts repeatedly beating tons of major produced and marketed acts, despite being the antithesis of worldwide pop culture and trends.

Then you have bands like SID, and lots of older bands like X Japan, Luna Sea, Dir en grey, who have made more money than most pop artists, have been around longer than KPop was a 'thing', and will be referenced as long as there is VK.

But in terms of Youtube and worldwide presence, Korean Pop has a very large presence, has several connections to worldwide pop culture where it isn't such a huge step, they are just rapping and twerking in a different language. The Korean government has also heavily funded Korean media on the global stage, from the Korean Wave of film that had a regrettably short life, to KPop now. Japanese individuals and companies have actually complained about not representing Japanese workson the worldwide stage, I even remember Gackt talking about how they are failing to promote Japanese work outside of Japan. But at the same time, Japan has a much more insulated subcultural make-up, and is not AS rapidly molded and influenced by Global and especially American trends. So I definitely think certain cultural exports from Japan are hard to find an audience for, while some others, like anime, games, manga, JDM, etc... have been some of the most influential things in pop culture and subculture history.

Not sure if I answered the question or even tried to, but ah well.

To break it down:

Rock vs. Pop

Rock made the most profit when culturally it became a part of Pop culture. This started to die off in the 80's but hair metal became a sensation. Hair metal was then killed off for the next wave of acts that were assimilated into the record industries more reliable formulaic machine for hits. Record labels like Mercury began purposefully killing off hair metal bands.

Eventually pop punk, grunge, nu metal and other genres were manipulated in the main stream to become represented by the producer controlled music making machine.

Why have a band completely in control of their music and writing what they want when they want? Would you not make a lot more money having an inner circle of producers who have mastered making hits, and creating the mainstream landscape of what a hit is?

Instead of investing in bands who may go any which direction, it is more lucrative to hire performers who will treat it as more of a job, and sing the songs written for them, dance to the choreography created for them, endorse the products your sponsors give to them, etc..

And if some kind of rock is popular, we'll study the trend with a focus group, then get the producer to hold their hand through a simple track, we'll get a director to come up with a topical video to get attention, the lyricist's will come up with a catchy provocative line that will be repeated until it gets into people's heads, then the people will repeat the lines and memes to advertise for us, for free. Wardrobe will get them something trendy, then we'll get PR to get some interviews, and create some kind of juicy scandal for the group.

Then we'll pay stations a lot of money to play us often, iTunes to feature us heavily, Youtube to recommend our video, etc...

Then we'll make a bunch of money, give a good chunk to execs, producers, lyricists, then pay off all the marketing, and other costs, and we'll throw a few bucks at the band. Oh wait, we 'advanced' the band all sorts of money when we paid for that new guitar, the gas in the tourbus, their catering, etc etc... Better cut down how much we gave them.

Then compare that to moderately successful VK bands filming a PV in the parking garage a thousand other bands played in, in some flame retardant outfit that 99 percent of people would not be caught dead wearing, and a bass player who looks better than most girls, playing a song in a low drop C tuning, over vocals still high pitched as hell, in a style of music that is no longer popular or never has been popular in the mainstream.

Then they take that PV, and include it as a bonus for the limited edition, cd only release not on iTunes, and not uploaded to Youtube unless somebody decides to do it against their wishes. And the majority of viewers are international viewers since Japanese have their own sites and ways of digesting media to choose from as well.

And they compete in the second biggest music market in the world, with a huge amount of other independent visual kei artists, many of them producing their own music, and not having doors opened to them, no big funding, and a lot of bands still survive somehow, and bands like Royz, Kiryu, etc.... enter the top ten of the charts repeatedly beating tons of major produced and marketed acts, despite being the antithesis of worldwide pop culture and trends.

Then you have bands like SID, and lots of older bands like X Japan, Luna Sea, Dir en grey, who have made more money than most pop artists, have been around longer than KPop was a 'thing', and will be referenced as long as there is VK.

But in terms of Youtube and worldwide presence, Korean Pop has a very large presence, has several connections to worldwide pop culture where it isn't such a huge step, they are just rapping and twerking in a different language. The Korean government has also heavily funded Korean media on the global stage, from the Korean Wave of film that had a regrettably short life, to KPop now. Japanese individuals and companies have actually complained about not representing Japanese workson the worldwide stage, I even remember Gackt talking about how they are failing to promote Japanese work outside of Japan. But at the same time, Japan has a much more insulated subcultural make-up, and is not AS rapidly molded and influenced by Global and especially American trends. So I definitely think certain cultural exports from Japan are hard to find an audience for, while some others, like anime, games, manga, JDM, etc... have been some of the most influential things in pop culture and subculture history.

Not sure if I answered the question or even tried to, but ah well.

See this is why you in my company. Actually took the time, a lot of time to respond. Thank you and i love you. take the week of off. and ill see you tomorrow at your house for you know what.

You have to generate a ridiculous amount of YouTube traffic to make money off it. And with YouTube banning Japanese artists, that's not going to help.

Also hindering Japanese artists of every genre is the copyright law that forces many bands to only show a partial music video on Youtube. Partial videos are a major turnoff to a lot of fans.

most visual kei bands don't make much money, and many end up disbanding a few years in (or less).

not uncommon to hear bandmen having to fork out their own money to pay for booking a livehouse if they don't meet their ticket sales quota :/

did you guys talk about Babymetal?

Practically the kind of response I wanted to throw in, thank you tetora.

You'd have to take into account the dominant ethos of Japan regarding making music "for the certain group" rather than "for everyone" (see: K-music - and regarding my earlier statements about frills and approaches in K-music, even acts in the vein of Jambinai take many hints from Western alternative (especially post-music) to gain this platform of "international relevance"). This could be truly witnessed in VK where they still try to keep their loyalty towards the (small) visual image-endorsing group intact while forgetting about actually extending their scope! I am pretty sure that there's a certain bunch of VK acts who could go for the latter but the overall progress is so sluggish (hence almost everyone admitting that VK is "way far behind").

The jury is still out on when will most Japanese scenes finally find a way to overcome this idea of "for the certain group" and promote flexibility towards widespread recognition and eventual acceptance. For now it merely seems like they are intentionally trying to stay inside this "shell of PR isolation".

Practically the kind of response I wanted to throw in, thank you tetora.

You'd have to take into account the dominant ethos of Japan regarding making music "for the certain group" rather than "for everyone" (see: K-music - and regarding my earlier statements about frills and approaches in K-music, even acts in the vein of Jambinai take many hints from Western alternative (especially post-music) to gain this platform of "international relevance"). This could be truly witnessed in VK where they still try to keep their loyalty towards the (small) visual image-endorsing group intact while forgetting about actually extending their scope! I am pretty sure that there's a certain bunch of VK acts who could go for the latter but the overall progress is so sluggish (hence almost everyone admitting that VK is "way far behind").

The jury is still out on when will most Japanese scenes finally find a way to overcome this idea of "for the certain group" and promote flexibility towards widespread recognition and eventual acceptance. For now it merely seems like they are intentionally trying to stay inside this "shell of PR isolation".

what makes it for a small scene? The only real difference is that they scream and growl to me. Like listening to the gallo's is like alternative kpop, they both have that feel or factor to their music. at the same time i understand the dislike of guitars, but it's kawaii compared to real metal like babymetal which is a hit. Idk maybe its just because i dont see genre's

There's not enough interest or market for it.

Remember Tofu records? It folded almost immediately. 

Things like Babymetal and Psy are novelty acts; they're exceptions, not the rule. There's no market for music performed in non-English languages in America unless you're, say, targeting the ethnic population of a foreign bands home country (like Mexican rock band Mana touring in America and playing the southwest and west coast). There aren't enough Japanese-Americans, let alone Japanese Americans that listen to visual kei, to bother spending the money to push that stuff over here. You'd lose your shirt, guaranteed. 

Anime con gigs work because you have every weaboo in an X-mile radius packed together already. It wouldn't be profitable to come to America and tour and hit the 5-10 major cities in the region playing to smaller crowds, but it IS profitable to play the con. The market is not there naturally, but in this circumstance there is an opportunity to make a quick buck. 

Rammstein had a global hit with Du Haust and still do really well when they come to America, but did that mean there was a market for German-language rock in America? Clearly there wasn't.

The market itself has sorted all this out already: there were some visual kei fans and they purchased imports, someone like Tofu records thought there might be an opportunity to make some money, there wasn't enough interest and Tofu records folded, and fans are back to buying imports. 

Guys in Visual Kei bands know that if they want to make it in America they'd have to relocate here, learn to sing in English, and work their way up from the very bottom. Chance of success is virtually zero, so they're smart enough to stay in Tokyo where there is an interest in what they do.

J-Pop are way behind K-Pop imho.

K-Pop know how to promote themselves, they toured places and use YT as channel to connect fans all over the world.

And they toured South East Asia aside from fellow East Asia countries where the demands and profits are big.

Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Philipinnes, and so on, all countries that not many J-Pop artists pay visit to, though once they did, it mostly Anime convention than big production solo tour, save for a very major ones such as Ayumi Hamasaki, LUNA SEA, or L'arc-En-Ciel.

No K-Pop artist ever perform in Korean convention, and that helps alot with their image. Which is why DEG had refused to perform in Anime convention in the past.

Missed opportunity in their part.

Not sure why they seem to avoid South East Asia when even major American acts never dare to.

Also, Korean people seems to have better pronounciation with their English, so few of them succeeded touring The States, even Big Bang had toured Australia last year. K-Pop are way more adventurous this waybyo expand their influence, at this rate I won't be surprised if we found K-Pop starts touring South Africa soon. When will J-Pop?

Very good points by Tetora and Candy Warhol.

10-15 years ago Jpop was really in fashion, now it's out and Kpop is in. Kpop's popularity in America evolved naturally and, as pointed out by others, it's just the Korean take on what's already going on in pop music. Also have to factor in racism and tumblr's favorite word: "appropriation"

3:20 

"scary" and "bad" parts, huh? Yeah. ~.~

Anyway, Kpop in America is in fashion, but still the target audience is going to be any kind of East Asian-American girls. If Big Bang Theory or Rain or whomever (is Rain still a thing?) were going to have a concert in LA or NYC, it's going to be 80-90% Asian people, with nonasians being a "bonus" fans putting a few extra dollars in.

No K-Pop artist ever perform in Korean convention, and that helps alot with their image. Which is why DEG had refused to perform in Anime convention in the past.

K-con doesn't count?

if Big Bang Theory or Rain or whomever (is Rain still a thing?) were going to have a concert in LA or NYC, it's going to be 80-90% Asian people, with nonasians being a "bonus" fans putting a few extra dollars in.

at first i thought you were wrong then at the end endless asians

Isn't it the other way round? Kpop took the makeup, hairstyles and overall androgynous looks from Visual Kei.

20120530_seoulbeats_hot.jpg

tumblr_lja0r96JjR1qza81j.jpg this? hmmmm i still need a source that this isnt a korean thing taken from America cause it has its difference.

K-con doesn't count?

at first i thought you were wrong then at the end endless asians

20120530_seoulbeats_hot.jpg

tumblr_lja0r96JjR1qza81j.jpg this? hmmmm i still need a source that this isnt a korean thing taken from America cause it has its difference.

Japan did it first. In fact, the Visual Kei look since the late 90's was heavily influenced by anime and that's why many hairstyles in Visual Kei look so anime-like.

And being Japan the most influential country in Asia when it comes to pop culture and being South Korea right next to Japan it obviously has exerted great influence on South Korea.

Japan did it first. In fact, the Visual Kei look since the late 90's was heavily influenced by anime and that's why many hairstyles in Visual Kei look so anime-like.

And being Japan the most influential country in Asia when it comes to pop culture and being South Korea right next to Japan it obviously has exerted great influence on South Korea.

so no source? actually The USA is s.korea's biggest influence, as they freed them from being Communist. And VK compied glam so why couldnt have kpop too, they did metal and rock too.

so no source? actually The USA is s.korea's biggest influence, as they freed them from being Communist. And VK compied glam so why couldnt have kpop too, they did metal and rock too.

PIERROT was one of the first Visual Kei bands whose aethetics was influenced by anime. This during the 90's.

pierrot.jpg

I think you are trying to downplay the influence that Japanese pop culture has had on South Korea and the rest of Asia when the fact is that Japan has been very influential.

I don't think anybody is trying to accuse South Korea of copying Japan; what's is being pointed out is that many Kpop fans assume it is South Korea that came up with all this looks and styles because Kpop is their first exposure to Asian pop culture and haven't been exposed to older expressions that influenced Asian countries..

PIERROT was one of the first Visual Kei bands whose aethetics was influenced by anime. This during the 90's.

pierrot.jpg

I think you are trying to downplay the influence that Japanese pop culture has had on South Korea and the rest of Asia when the fact is that Japan has been very influential.

I don't think anybody is trying to accuse South Korea of copying Japan; what's is being pointed out is that many Kpop fans assume it is South Korea that came up with all this looks and styles because Kpop is their first exposure to Asian pop culture and haven't been exposed to older expressions that influenced Asian countries..

that pic: one to the left hair cut looks american pop ish, middle guy look like kiss. If you are involving clothes yeah it's different from glam but kpop too

anybody, you mean you right after all, all i see is you, alone, comming in here claiming that kpop "took the makeup, hairstyles and overall androgynous looks from Visual Kei." but anyway America is a big influence on S.K. you said it yourself, its basically western music, and the clothes they wore reflected that in 1995 when the boy bands cam out. Also American boy bands are were not manly

M-P-Top10-Boy-Bands-480p30_480.jpgM-P-Top10-Cheesy-Boy-Bands-480i60_480x27

tumblr_li9m9fqRCL1qezlix.jpgh-o-t_90s2.jpg

so who is to say that VK is where they got it. Korean could have easily had there own spin on it as they valued or still vale  paleness. plus their make up isnt that thick, and more natural.

I never said that kpop came with anything, and why would i say that when old vk looks like glam and got. and Kpop look like asian justin Timberlake  1253740468-jt.jpg maybe you are just delusional and think that the western influence is non existing. 

that pic: one to the left hair cut looks american pop ish, middle guy look like kiss. If you are involving clothes yeah it's different from glam but kpop too

anybody, you mean you right after all, all i see is you, alone, comming in here claiming that kpop "took the makeup, hairstyles and overall androgynous looks from Visual Kei." but anyway America is a big influence on S.K. you said it yourself, its basically western music, and the clothes they wore reflected that in 1995 when the boy bands cam out. Also American boy bands are were not manly

M-P-Top10-Boy-Bands-480p30_480.jpgM-P-Top10-Cheesy-Boy-Bands-480i60_480x27

tumblr_li9m9fqRCL1qezlix.jpgh-o-t_90s2.jpg

so who is to say that VK is where they got it. Korean could have easily had there own spin on it as they valued or still vale  paleness. plus their make up isnt that thick, and more natural.

I never said that kpop came with anything, and why would i say that when old vk looks like glam and got. and Kpop look like asian justin Timberlake  1253740468-jt.jpg maybe you are just delusional and think that the western influence is non existing. 

I don't like to be rude or sarcastic but I see you seem unable to tell the difference between influence and copying/appropriating. Your posts have that defensive tone and I speculate it may because you feel that stating that Kpop has been influenced by the Japanese sense of fashion undermines Kpop. Can we deny that Japan has been a potence in terms of pop culture?

You post pics of South Korean pop groups with clear Visual-Kei-ish and anime-like looks.  You are trying to either attribute all influence to the US or that South Koreans magically came up with Visual Kei-ish/anime-inspired looks.

As I said before, there is a confusion with some Kpop fans who think Visual Kei and other Jrock bands copy the looks of Kpop bands or that they are influenced by Kpop when the fact is that it's the other way round. This is most likely because Kpop has been their only or first exposure to pop culture from Asia so they eventually think South Korea did it first and judge the rest from that assumption.

I don't like to be rude or sarcastic but I see you seem unable to tell the difference between influence and copying/appropriating. Your posts have that defensive tone and I speculate it may because you feel that stating that Kpop has been influenced by the Japanese sense of fashion undermines Kpop. Can we deny that Japan has been a potence in terms of pop culture?

You post pics of South Korean pop groups with clear Visual-Kei-ish and anime-like looks.  You are trying to either attribute all influence to the US or that South Koreans magically came up with Visual Kei-ish/anime-inspired looks.

As I said before, there is a confusion with some Kpop fans who think Visual Kei and other Jrock bands copy the looks of Kpop bands or that they are influenced by Kpop when the fact is that it's the other way round. This is most likely because Kpop has been their only or first exposure to pop culture from Asia so they eventually think South Korea did it first and judge the rest from that assumption.

Your tone seem to be that you need Japan to be the big country here without backing it up, and just saying blah blah it's this way. And i'm responding to it because i don't believe it. Like what video games because i dont see much J-music in places like the guy said? Making it super general, from vk to pop culture. Sure nicki minaj likes some Japanese things. Standard fashion is closer to Kpop fashion but that because they are so westernized.

With clear american boy bands looks. Maybe anime and vk took from that too? I am saying that S.K has there own culture and preferred looks so they mixed the US (hair clothes) with korean (pale makeup). I pretty sure you can catch those looks on buffy the vampire slayer. Beyond that, did Japan invent their look? Where is the anime, where is the vk in the pics? dont just hop on small things like they are pretty..

well i am not one of them and i dont see any here. And they are not wrong with some newer acts, like one of wings works looks, and newer sug. And it's not a fact cause i dont see any sources

Your tone seem to be that you need Japan to be the big country here without backing it up, and just saying blah blah it's this way. And i'm responding to it because i don't believe it. Like what video games because i dont see much J-music in places like the guy said? Making it super general, from vk to pop culture. Sure nicki minaj likes some Japanese things. Standard fashion is closer to Kpop fashion but that because they are so westernized.

With clear american boy bands looks. Maybe anime and vk took from that too? I am saying that S.K has there own culture and preferred looks so they mixed the US (hair clothes) with korean (pale makeup). I pretty sure you can catch those looks on buffy the vampire slayer. Beyond that, did Japan invent their look? Where is the anime, where is the vk in the pics? dont just hop on small things like they are pretty..

well i am not one of them and i dont see any here. And they are not wrong with some newer acts, like one of wings works looks, and newer sug. And it's not a fact cause i dont see any sources

You want evidence? Have a look at 90's Visual kei bands. Have a look at anime from the 80's and 90's. There's the proof that you need. Unless you can prove to me that Visual Kei and anime started in South Korea you won't convince me otherwise.

That last pic you posted with those boys wearing anime-inspired hairstyles. Look at the guy in the middle with the Super Saiyajin hairstyle. I don't recall any 90's boy band from the US with such look. Some of those boys even cultivate an androgynous appearance, something that US boy bands didn't because the premise was to evoke masculinity.

Kpop as we know it today is an amalgamation of influences from the west and Japan. From Japan, especially at the end of last decade it was mainly the looks. It still retain some anime-inspired appearancer and androgyny. Musically it is very western. Producers took what seemed more appealing from both worlds.

Suddenly, I recalled a Kpop band and they are dressed like the Shohoku team from Slam Dunk, the anime.

I will repeat one last time because I think this discussion is worthless. There are some Kpop fans who think it was Kpop that came up with all those androgynous looks and hairstyles. I said I think it is because Kpop is their first exposure to Asian pop culture so they think every other band is doing it after Kpop. No one is accusing South Korea of copying Visual Kei or appropriating Japanese pop culture, but I think you are intepreting it that way.

You want evidence? Have a look at 90's Visual kei bands. Have a look at anime from the 80's and 90's. There's the proof that you need. Unless you can prove to me that Visual Kei and anime started in South Korea you won't convince me otherwise.

That last pic you posted with those boys wearing anime-inspired hairstyles. Look at the guy in the middle with the Super Saiyajin hairstyle. I don't recall any 90's boy band from the US with such look. Some of those boys even cultivate an androgynous appearance, something that US boy bands didn't because the premise was to evoke masculinity.

Kpop as we know it today is an amalgamation of influences from the west and Japan. From Japan, especially at the end of last decade it was mainly the looks. It still retain some anime-inspired appearancer and androgyny. Musically it is very western. Producers took what seemed more appealing from both worlds.

Suddenly, I recalled a Kpop band and they are dressed like the Shohoku team from Slam Dunk, the anime.

I will repeat one last time because I think this discussion is worthless. There are some Kpop fans who think it was Kpop that came up with all those androgynous looks and hairstyles. I said I think it is because Kpop is their first exposure to Asian pop culture so they think every other band is doing it after Kpop. No one is accusing South Korea of copying Visual Kei or appropriating Japanese pop culture, but I think you are intepreting it that way.

i did and looks like black metal and glam. and the anime looks like western people. and when did i imply or say "Visual Kei and anime started in South Korea."

super sayain my ass combdown in the front with spikes in the back Nick-Carter-hair.jpg this plu the guy in black above. And you must not know what masculinity is. The only thing masculine was maybe the dance or dance parts, like thrusting.

You keep saying japan, but like i said it's empty. It took from high fashion, and movies yesss. anime, noo.

WoW basketball outfits, yeah that's totally only anime related. lmao please get a grip

and ill say it again why are you talking about people who are not hear. And what are you saying with

You post pics of South Korean pop groups with clear Visual-Kei-ish and anime-like looks.

Kpop took the makeup, hairstyles and overall androgynous looks from Visual Kei.

was just correcting that part because Kpop took from Visual kei; not the other way round.

which all come out too what you want to believe. And  it is pointless as you alone got upset that i said they both wear make up and felt the need to push your blind VK thoughts and attitude onto me, and im not having it.

Second guy on the left with straight hair very similar to Aiji's (Pierrot), guy in the middle with a Super Siyajin hairstyle, guy at bottom left wearing makeup. Most this guys with a rather androgynous appearance.

That pic of Nick doesn't work. You chose it because you thought it resembles an anime-inspired hairtyle so as to create a connection with the haisrtyles that are evidently inspired by Visual Kei/anime and that way refute the fact that they were inspired by Visual Kei and anime.

It feels ridiculous arguing like a childish fan girl over these matters. The fact is that Japan has influenced South Korea and many countries. Influence doesn't mean stealing.

h-o-t_90s2.jpg

Sign in to follow this