Traxan

Why are comments disabled in so many YouTube videos?

It's a real annoying trend among Japanese bands to disable comments. Those comment sections might help us non-Japanese speakers if someone translates the video, after all. Yet I see it all the time. The Rami video I posted is a perfect example. It's just 45 seconds of her talking nervously to the camera, this is her first public statement in 2.5 years since revealing the brain disease that forced her to quit Aldious. Yet comments are disabled. Why?

Well... I'm just thinking back on as to why YouTuber Pewdiepie disabled his comments. All to do with trolls and spammers I believe. The amount of spam/unneeded comments made in every single YT video must be a hell of a lot in total. I tried looking into this a bit just now but all I can find IS Pewdiepie and YT accidently disabling all comments at random times in the past. I've also heard about Japan not liking any publicity anyway? So, most might want to block it purposely? I understand though, I feel the same way when I look at videos with a smaller viewed figure blocked. This is literally my tiny worth of thought into this since I visit YouTube most of the time for YouTubers lol. xD

Pewdie probably gets hundreds of thousands comments, it isn't physically possible or even worth it to read even just a small amount of it. He still has a channel to run after all. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense for smaller bands to disable the comments, it is probably their best way to communicate and recieve feedback from overseas fans. So yea, it does seem like they just want added attention or it is way to funnel all the comments to specific site for easier tracking.

i can understand wanting to block trolls and spammers but should your fans be shutout in the process? And I wonder if they aren't being overly driven by fear of trolls. For example, the Mary's Blood video for "Marionette" has comments, the majority of which are praising the band. Yeah, a few sexist comments but that goes with the territory. Mostly, though, the posts are positive.

Pewdie probably gets hundreds of thousands comments, it isn't physically possible or even worth it to read even just a small amount of it. He still has a channel to run after all. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense for smaller bands to disable the comments, it is probably their best way to communicate and recieve feedback from overseas fans. So yea, it does seem like they just want added attention or it is way to funnel all the comments to specific site for easier tracking.

isn't pewdie (and other vloggers) largely relying on foodstamp money and banner revenue to sustain?

they won't disable commenting as long as it bring conversation and pageviews in that case, unlike smaller band video comments, where a single troll comment is already an eyesore, and the real fans will easily find ways to express adoration elsewhere anyway. I mean, it's not like they disable video sharing, which exactly helps promotion with some of them.

No no no no no no I found an article that said Pewdie in particular gets 3mil+ in royalties. Youtube celebs get shit tons of money. The lowest on the list was Jenna Marbles and she "only made" $325k annually.

This isn't the exact article, but here's a different one for reference: http://www.businessinsider.com/richest-youtube-stars-2014-3#20-evantubehd-1