Sign in to follow this  
fictioninhope

Fiction's "I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING SEND HELP" 2014 list

Just gonna confess upfront that the title of this thread is legit and I literally have no clue what on earth I am doing here in this list. I am horrible at explaining why I like things beyond "THIS IS GREAT YOU SHOULD LISTEN" so if you can get through all of my nonsense and come out of it with some new tunes to jam to, awesome. If not, please don't mind me. c: I swear next year I'll have a better looking list with better blurbs. ;;  Bless Cat and Zeus for putting up with all of my stupid questions as I worked on this. They da real MVPs.

Fave tracks samples are in order as listed above mp3 bars.

NAINE - THE WALL and NEW ANSWER IS NEW ENDING
nainethewall_zpsfc0b6d70.jpgnaine-album_zps887cfe37.jpg

Fave tracks: THE WALL; NIGHTMARE; BEAUTIFUL CRIME

Leave it to a visual kei band to release two fantastic cds right before they disband. My bitterness about NAINE's disbandment is almost as strong as how I feel for DELUHI's, only these boys gave me less time to fall in love with them before throwing in the towel. I was going to do a review on NEW ANSWER IS NEW ENDING as my first official review but found that I loved it so much I couldn't even properly put my feelings into enough words. The perfect combination of singing and screaming/growling, this band had the talent and quality to go far but they gave up before anything even truly started. Not nearly as heavy as the band drummer JOL and guitarist Shiki joined after disbandment but if you can't handle any form of screamy this is not the band for you.

Schwarz Stein - GEBET, COCOON -Fallen- and Sleeping Madness

gebet-jacket_zpsd0051ac1.jpg97140c957787f59a07c05abbf1072378_zpscf5esleeping_madness-jacket_zpsf0b0495d.jpg

Fave tracks: Rise to Heaven -2014-; COCOON -Fallen-; Lilith

Let me just start this by saying that I literally screamed at the top of my lungs when Kaya and Hora announced they would be coming back together as Schwarz Stein. This was one of the very first actual Japanese bands I heard and it was pretty much love at first listen, there is a place in my heart that no one else can fill. Now this fantastic duo is back in action, kicking ass and taking names. GEBET, COCOON and Sleeping Madness did not disappoint and I loved all of them too much to pick and choose. If Femme Fatale let you down this year and you never gave Schwarz Stein a listen, I highly suggest you do. Kaya and Hora make sweet sweet musical magic together.

Favorite Weapon - Sixty Saragossa

faveweaponsixty_zpsbba602cf.png

Fave tracks: Hollow; Let's Shake On It

I started off my relationship with Favorite Weapon on the wrong path. I was still pretty pissed at Crossfaith for bailing on their US tour(only to set up a UK tour right after bailing) and this band had taken their spot on the lineup, so of course they were going to be horrible and a waste of my time. Luckily for me they ended up being fan-fucking-tastic and totally worth it. The lyrics are kind of your typical angst filled underdog stuff but a lot of the songs really hit home for me and that's probably a big part of why I enjoyed the album as much as I did. Also badass female drummer.

The Amity Affliction - Let The Ocean Take Me

amityocean_zpsd0a08318.png

Fave tracks: Pittsburgh; Don't Lean On Me

I only even listened to this band because they were touring with Crossfaith and I hate going to lives not knowing what I'm getting myself into. Stumbled upon the song Pittsburgh on youtube and knew this was a band I was going to be listening to for a long time to come. The Amity Affliction is like a band for all of the wayward youth who are now in their mid-20s and feeling out of place and unhappy with the fucked up world previous generations left us. Fantastic band live with really great energy. Would recommend 10/10

和楽器バンド - ボカロ三昧

vocalozanmai_zps84341dbe.jpg

Fave tracks: セツナトリップ; いろは唄; 脳漿炸裂ガール

I really hate vocaloid so when I saw my fellow OR team saying that this was a vocaloid cover album I was ready to set it on fire. But as I read on I saw "traditional Japanese instruments" and I am very much a sucker for those. So of course, I gave it a listen and fell in love. If no one had said anything about vocaloid I never would have even known. The album really sounds like a stand-alone original piece of work. I have high hopes for this band to continue putting out quality music.. just hopefully no more vocaloid.

倖田來未 - Bon Voyage

250114RandomJpopKumiKoda-BonvoyageCDBlur

Fave tracks: SHOW ME YOUR HOLLA; Dreaming Now!

I love it that marriage and a child didn't stop Kumi from doing what she does best. I can't say that Bon Voyage is nearly as strong of an album as Japonesque or Kingdom but if you dig catchy pop tunes, the occasional trashy dance-able song and some ridiculous engrish thrown in, you'll probably enjoy this album. You know what, just listen to it anyway. Everyone needs a little bit of Kumi love.

浜崎あゆみ - Colours

6D5C5D0E30423086307F_Ayumi_Hamasaki_-_Co

Fave tracks: Terminal; Merry-go-round; Lelio

This was a fabulous birthday present that I didn't even listen to until almost 6 months after my actual birthday/album release date. I feel ashamed to say that I don't keep up with Ayumi as well as I should. Colours is a solid and cohesive album, leaving all the nonsense filler off the list. Ayu is definitely staying true to her colors(lol) as the reining Supreme of j-pop.

HORA - DESOLATION BEAUTY

hora-desolation_beauty-2014_zpse3f8d79a.

Fave tracks: DESOLATION BEAUTY; MOONRISE; CARPE DIEM

DESOLATION BEAUTY is essentially a typical Hora album full of bleepy bloopy electronic goodness. This man has perfected what he does and changing the flawless formula would be a detriment at this point. Each song flows perfectly into the next to keep you listening. If you dig darker electronic music with no vocals, this album should be the first stop on your list of things to check out. In fact, just listen to everything Hora has released and join me on the party bus. BYOB.

MU - Discovery of the AVALON

DAKSASCD-67_zps5a31530c.jpg

Fave tracks: 神世界; 幸せの代償

better than kamijo y/y. I really like Aika's voice. I lost track of him after 73shiki so him being in a new band has got me all excited. They give me an almost older Versailles vibe. Kamijo better not let these kids crash and burn.

Black Gene For The Next Scene - 廃憶のdanceパレード

bgftns_zps1bda34a2.jpg

Fave tracks: Light is there; 空から零れ落ちる100億の光

This was most definitely not the best release this year but I fucking loved it for everything that it did wrong. BGFTNS takes all of that horrible synth autotune bullshit and makes it their own and boy do they rock it. This was the first release of theirs that I actually listened to in full and it's got me sold on this band. GIVE ME ALL OF THE TRASHY AUTOTUNED VK PLEASE.

exist†trace - WORLD MAKER

existtradeworldmaker_zps0f9d0971.jpg

Fave tracks: Imagination; スパイラル大作戦長い夢の終わりに

As much as I am still very vocal that these girls should do more dark and heavy music, WORLD MAKER proves that they are one of the most versatile bands in the scene. The fact that they have so much more exposure, not just in Japan but across the globe, compared to many other all-female vk bands that have been around as long as they have speaks volumes of their extreme talent. Every twist and turn has you wondering what style they are going to absorb into their musical repertoire next.

This section is for songs that I really enjoyed this year, whether I listened to the full albums(and didn't like the entire thing enough to put up top) or not. You get five videos and the rest are mp3 samples because I am inept and can't figure out the HTML to get past the five video limit. :D ENJOY.

I am a huge fan of RuPaul's Drag Race and RuPaul in general. Mama Ru's song Sissy That Walk took a few listens to grow on me but now it's my pick-me-up song when I need to feel like I am invincible and can throat punch anyone who gets in my way. Forever mad that Miss Lake is in there instead of DeLa but alas, I was not a judge. Please enjoy Bianca being fabulous, Courtney making weird faces and Adore being... Adore-able. Pfft.

This song comes on the radio almost every day as I'm driving to work and I really love it. Like crank up the volume and make everyone else on the road listen to it kind of love. So one day I was finally like "Hey, I should go see the music video for this song!" MISTAKE MISTAKE RUN AWAY WHY DID I DO IT. I really want to know what Adam was thinking when he decided "Hey yo so I think it would be a great idea for me to stalk someone while essentially dry humping a slab of raw beef and sensually smearing blood all over myself. PERFECT, RIGHT????" 

I was so beyond excited when ender told me that JOL and Shiki were the first NAINE members to resurface in a new band. The band name gave me pause, like where would you even come up with something like that, you know? But this song pretty much hooked me from the start. It's the perfect mixture of everything I love in music and it's executed so well. My only issue is I would really appreciate it if bands, and people in general tbh, would stop putting fish in tiny jars. It is bad for them and will kill them. PLEASE THINK OF THE LITTLE FISHIES.

The Korean group that's taking 2NE1's place in my heart as #1. I haven't had a chance to listen to the full album this track is on but if it's anything like their previous releases I'm sure it's fantastic too.

|

|
|
In This Moment - Dirty Pretty

It was too difficult to pick between Sick Like Me and Dirty Pretty so have both of them cause they're both fantastic. I love them more each time I listen.

MUCC - ENDER ENDER -Album Edit-

So I'm still not on the MUCC train despite the fact that ender has been trying for years to convert me. I tend to have a few songs I like on each release so unless they decide to put all the songs I like onto one album, I don't think they'll ever end up fully on my best of list. I'm trying, I swear. This song is super fantastic though.

Lacuna Coil - Die and Rise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFttR7bvogo

I just really enjoy this song. Didn't add the video because it's just lyrics and I didn't have the mp3 for a sample bar. Sorry guys.

bts <3 i think you will enjoy the album, it's on my list. the tracks are different but similar

MU - Discovery of the AVALON

DAKSASCD-67_zps5a31530c.jpg

Fave tracks: 神世界; 幸せの代償

better than kamijo y/y. I really like Aika's voice. I lost track of him after 73shiki so him being in a new band has got me all excited. They give me an almost older Versailles vibe. Kamijo better not let these kids crash and burn.

MU's Shiawase no Daiso sound so good! Love their acoustic lines (actually I thought if they replaced the piano lines with acoustic guitars, this song would be something spanish-esque)

Yay it's finally here! but omg where is that diru album tho jk jk XD

Flawless choices as usual. Happy to see Favorite Weapon make the list!! 

And definitely returning for the Hora & Kaya flawlessness because fuuuu the Femme Fatale album could have been better (or just everyone stop with the damn double albums of filler pls).

AND I FORGOT ABOUT MU HOW COULD I FORGET ABOUT MU. I need to get that.

Great list. But I knew it would be. :)

I DON'T SEE TK ANYWHERE ON THIS LIST

1318521000711.gif

lol, I jest. You guys make me feel bad only including one sample, though, haha ;P

I still haven't gotten to 和楽器バンド yet, but everything I've heard from this has been great. Soon. >__>

Ayu has gone full EDM, huh?

I wouldn't have known those samples were exist†trace if I wasn't told. The vocalist sounds better than I remember...or maybe this style fits her better?

DADAROMA is definitely promising. I just wish VK musicians were a bit less stringent in the way they release and promote their music. Forget all of that live-limited nonsense. Make a bandcamp, release some tracks for free...or even a few yen, ppl would in Japan and abroad would gladly throw money at these guys!

I downloaded the In This Moment album but haven't listened yet (common theme with me) - "sick like me" just gives me another reason to check it out. ;3

Many thanks for sharing, Fiction! Your list was a joy to read and I love how easy to read and relatable your writing style is. ;3

Loving your top-list! 83 Gotta say, Dirty Pretty is probably my favourite song from the new album. And what comes to Maroon 5's song, I loved it too, but after hearing it eight times during work, I don't enjoy it as much anymore. Will check out the korean artist; maybe it will replace 2NE1 from my top 1 list too! ;p

Sign in to follow this