• Unique and different is my thing
    • It's growing on me
    • Not my cup of tea

fantasic magic
Artist: TK from 凛として時雨
Single: Fantastic Magic
Score: :_9/10_:
Fantastic Magic? You bet it is!

TK from 凛として時雨(Rin Toshite Shigure), male vocalist of said band, presents his second solo album titled Fantastic Magic. 凛として時雨 and TK’s solo works are indie rock and alternative, but both units also utilize the genre of shoegaze, making them incredibly interesting. As TK breaks away for a solo effort from his band formed way back in 2002, he successfully creates a wild and dramatic ride sure to please all our musical needs.

The album starts with “Fantastic Magic.” Our ears are exposed to thrashing drums and quick piano keys playing along to strumming of guitars along with TK’s whimsical vocals calling out to us between the pauses. As soon as the song’s in full flow, it’s a manic musical racecourse, building up to the chorus where we hear TK’s sincerest shouts we’ve been waiting for. The single “unravel,” featured as the opening for anime Tokyo Ghoul is up next, the song many listeners look for. It gets any listener pumped up for what’s coming next. Thanks to the cluster of violins, drums and guitars playing together, and the emotional drive of TK’s helpless tone, “unravel” is a gripping song. Along with the tuneful build up to the end, we’re hit by TK’s desperate shrieks after the first chorus. Not only is it fitting for the anime tie-in, it’s a perfect fit to TK’s signature musical style with the mixture of high and low vocalisation, creating a quick, pulse-racing track.

Being a more beat oriented track, “kalei de scope” builds up tension and the emotional chaos is slowed down. The tiny taps of piano with small segments of drum beats, guitar strings, and electric beats all mix into a mesmerizing piece of music. The abrupt end makes you want more. “an artist” contrasts with previous tracks, sounding far more hopeful. TK doesn’t raise much of his voice in the song and it’s is definitely the calming point of the album. With piano backing the band, its melody is enchanting. In small sections, the music may completely halt so we can only hear TK’s echoing, breathy vocals. This creates a haunting tone, never stopping in dragging the listener in.

TK’s tone in “tokio” is just as emotionally breath-taking as his shrieks. He captures us, being entrapped and torn by his vocal work. An impressive acoustic track, it shows us just how emotional his unique voice is. A piano is used throughout this song which continues into the upcoming track. The stunning ballad “Shinkiro” features the equally child-like, innocent sounding singer Chara. The track is distinctive because of the added vocals and emotions. The fluid sounds of acoustic guitar, drums and bass doesn’t make the song overbearing or sleep inducing. The imperfection of both vocalists’ voices creates a modest and honest song which is chilling to the bone. There’s a sense of gentleness and warmth with the duo of sweet sounding voices.

The album version of “Dramatic Slow Motion” now begins to refill the tank after the few resting tracks, which is a thrilling ride, effectively building up throughout by the instrumental involvement to create a dramatic and racing tune that delivers an electrical current until the end. “Spiral Parade” is instantly a toe tapping number. Catchy and addicting. This track welcomes you to dance while rocking out. TK keeps his unique tune as the violin playing within the chorus adds another layer of chaos below the electronic beats and taps. The louder the music gets, the more instruments become involved, including random piano keys playing and steady beats from a drum.

TK takes on another soothing song, entitled “fragile.” The track is just as atmospheric as the ballads beforehand. What can now be noticed is how strained TK’s voice can be when he sings in a lower tone. This may put many listeners off the acoustic/ballad sounding tracks due to how piercing it can be. However, that’s where the source of magic can be most noticed. The irregularity of TK’s vocals creates the much needed melancholic feeling. “contrast” mashes various pieces of instruments very smoothly to create a tuneful closing. Starting off with only the piano, it quickly becomes very pleasing to listen to. We’re given everything TK’s offered us throughout the album in this final track alone. It’s atmospheric in the verses and bridges then energetic as soon as the chorus hits us. And when it does, it’s stunning. The instruments play harmonically together into a dramatic finish and TK’s vocals never slip up. It’s very worthy of being the album closer.

In conclusion, what we have here is a gem. Listeners who haven’t given a shot at the genre should definitely give TK a listen. His individuality and uniqueness is expressed wonderfully and definitely deserving of more attention. Because of how the tracks are ordered, various songs contrast effectively with one another. While my personal preference disagrees with the placement of “fragile,” the ‘problem’ many may be turned off by is TK’s vocals in the slower songs. However, the tranquility of each and every song deserves recognition. It’s ‘Fantastic Magic.’

Thanks for reviewing this! This was a pretty good album, although I'd rate it a bit lower personally. I loved the eps and singles that TK released prior to this, but the full length just didn't do it for me as a whole. Those vulnerable, ballad-y TK tracks really drag the album down imo...I feel like his voice just isn't suited to those kinds of songs. And I know CHARA is pretty iconic, but her being featured on "shinkuro" was unnecessary...her voice is even more shrill than TK's lol.

But despite it's faults, this album was better than anything 凛として時雨 released as a band this year. I'm honestly worried that they might disband at this point. XD

His best songs are still on his first album ("Abnormal trick" and "phase to phrase" are just too good), but I like this new CD a bit better as a whole. I like that it doesn't sound as much as Ling as the other one did, and the fact that it's poppier at some points doesn't bother me at all. I wasn't too fond of both "unravel" and "contrast" when they came out as singles, but these two songs sound a lot better in the album context and are actually some of the highlights of it. The track with Chara is one of my favorites too - it's calm, simple, subtle and both voices work well in it imo. "Spiral Parade", however, is my favorite song off the record overall; "tokio" and "kalei de scope" are the only ones that haven't really hit it with me.

Thanks for reviewing this! This was a pretty good album, although I'd rate it a bit lower personally. I loved the eps and singles that TK released prior to this, but the full length just didn't do it for me as a whole. Those vulnerable, ballad-y TK tracks really drag the album down imo...I feel like his voice just isn't suited to those kinds of songs. And I know CHARA is pretty iconic, but her being featured on "shinkuro" was unnecessary...her voice is even more shrill than TK's lol.

But despite it's faults, this album was better than anything 凛として時雨 released as a band this year. I'm honestly worried that they might disband at this point. XD

I enjoyed this album a lot so I was really happy to be able to have to keep repeating it so many times! So it wasn't a problem at all reviewing it, throughly enjoyed it! And I'm happy to see you liked it too Cat! I know I can be a bit too easy and kind on certain things, especially music, but I found this very easy to rate actually, and I don't think I chose the wrong rating (okay well, maybe lower since his voice certainly is hit or miss ><). I thought it was an amazing listen the first time and I just became even more obsessed with it the more I listened to it. I heard his first album is even better so I look forward to giving that a listen. I didn't give it a full 5 stars because of the reasons you brought up. But I actually disagree with his voice not suiting the slower songs. I feel like there was an imbalance to these songs compared to the kind of songs on the album similar to his band work or louder tracks (pretty much every track not a ballad/slow track). They're rather similar to each other which makes for lengthy listening which might becoming boring but I thought TK's vocals made up for that. They were interesting because of his voice to me. Not dreary at all, just very different. My favourites were probably the single releases too, but overall this album is fabulous to me. And HEY, no calling my Chara unnecessary! </3 xD I just think she was a nice addition to the track after the similar sounding songs around it. 

:o Don't speak those words Cat, please! No more disbandments, especially them! 

His best songs are still on his first album ("Abnormal trick" and "phase to phrase" are just too good), but I like this new CD a bit better as a whole. I like that it doesn't sound as much as Ling as the other one did, and the fact that it's poppier at some points doesn't bother me at all. I wasn't too fond of both "unravel" and "contrast" when they came out as singles, but these two songs sound a lot better in the album context and are actually some of the highlights of it. The track with Chara is one of my favorites too - it's calm, simple, subtle and both voices work well in it imo. "Spiral Parade", however, is my favorite song off the record overall; "tokio" and "kalei de scope" are the only ones that haven't really hit it with me.

Like I said in reply to Cat, I still MUST give that album a listen! Since I only have one complaint on this album, I bet that album is perfection to me. xD Same here, I like how it's slightly poppier compared to the band. It shows there can be many sides to his voice and even if that's not always a good fit, I love it when unique sounding vocalists do a different sounding track unlike what they usually do. xD I was about to say, I like how you weren't too fond of my two favourite tracks haha. Yeah, I thought they fit well in the album. And I'm giving you a virtual high five for that compliment on Shinkuro, their voices makes that track stand out so much. It's beautiful. Honestly, tokio took me a while to appreciate, probably the longest out of the tracks for me to enjoy but apart from that, they're all defeintly worth checking out.

And guys, thanks for replying. Love reading what others have to say about his and Rin Toshite Shigure music!

Good ol' TK striking again~

(Fun trivia: TK's solo career contributed a lot to my liking of anything LTS/TK-related - dominating radio-friendly elements in his earlier release + singles made it easier for me to digest their usual, brickwalled loudness)

Besides single tunes, I dug the late 90s dance poppy vibes in "Spiral Parade" and Chara duet in "Shinkiro" a lot (highlights! :))

Tbh, Shinkiro almost gave me diabetes.

Still don't get the charm behind Chara's voice.

I'm refraining myself from sounding like ones of those fangirls on this one because Chara is one of my favourite singers but I do understand what you mean. I gave the option in the poll 'not my cup of tea' because both vocalists definitely won't appeal to everyone. I do, however, recommended listening to such vocalists for a breath of fresh air from all the mainstream music we always hear. I rememebr my mum saying Chara sounds like a dying cat and I just had to laugh because while her voice can sound like that exactly, haha, it's what gives her such charm, in my opinion. I remember first listening to her as well and thinking, 'how is she even a singer!?' But having accepted her singularity within the music industry, I find it a lot easier getting into such 'untrained' sounding vocals. While TK's vocals sound a lot more fitting to the genre to me, Chara is something else. I find it her voice so sincere and honest, and that's exactly what I think her charm is. But as I said already and I'll keep repeating it, such vocalists aren't always singers to some.

Thanks to checking them out though, reading, and giving an opinion! 

Good ol' TK striking again~

(Fun trivia: TK's solo career contributed a lot to my liking of anything LTS/TK-related - dominating radio-friendly elements in his earlier release + singles made it easier for me to digest their usual, brickwalled loudness)

Besides single tunes, I dug the late 90s dance poppy vibes in "Spiral Parade" and Chara duet in "Shinkiro" a lot (highlights! :))

prz, you the man! Nice favourites, I'm glad someone else is also backing Shinkiro! And fun trivia is always appreciated! I like how he tried a more 'smoother' and softer approach on his own compared to the band work. It's a nice introduction and a build up to those who might check out the band after I think.

I'm sorry I'm replying so many times. ><

Sign in to follow this