Zeus

Japan falls into recession

The article is behind a paywall but here it is anyway:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/japan-falls-into-recession-1416182404?tesla=y&mg=reno64-wsj&url=http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10865553559589044147104580281300672383676.html

There are plenty of reasons for this but I am not an economist so take my opinions with a grain of salt. Chief reasons for this is probably:

• Restrictive immigration policy.
  • Population is steadily declining.
  • Economy is slowing down due to the above two points and their attempts to bolster the economy by focusing on automation via technology has not advanced to that point yet.
  • Square Enix still hasn't released Kingdom Hearts 3 or Final Fantasy 15.
  • Lack of structural reform in said economy.
  • Terrible female labor participation rate. Their female STEM students @ undergrad level is ~10% while China is ~40%. Their female CEO % is ~ 0.08%, literally dead last in the G20. And IIRC, They have one of the largest female temp worker percentages, because companies are reluctant to hire women full time (as they are expected to quit after marriage).
  • Xenophobia / "cultural purity"
  • Us filthy gaijins not paying for anime or manga.
  • Mounting tension in the Asian areaa: read here
  • Failed efforts at stimulating the economy only making things worse: read here
  • Failed economic pacts: read here

As we all have something to thank Japan for in one way or another, what are your thoughts on this?

Your Square Enix point made me laugh more than anything. Still... waiting... </3 In all honesty, I didn't understand most of the points (I'm a lost cause when it comes to economy and business). But I had no idea about the attached articles, so that's got me even more worried. But with all the more showcasing of anime and manga series (at least on the online stores and small local shops I've come across), I've seen a big increase of both things being in stock more often and being brought a lot more. I felt guilty when I read that crossed out suggestion, since I've now become used to just reading/watching things on the internet (couple of years ago, I'd only ever accept having something if I paid for it). Hopefully it's only for a short time and nothing major. Am surprised.

Abenomics is gonna end up as a bad joke tbqh (his incompetence will be known nationwide (or perhaps even worldwide, depends on media ofc) once Japanese nation meets the dawn of fired JCB employees) :)

Shouldn't they stop with military expansion at this point (I would put that up in there and bold the shit out of it)? I'd rather see a few guys trying to get themselves away from the "brink of total collapse" than inflating the defense sector due to some petty "neighboring risks" (which naturally results in "sector disbalance", and you know the aftermath). But eh, not my thing to judge others arming themselves up to the teeth and thinking about the budget afterwards....

Inb4 someone will eventually get angry at me for "opposing" the geopolitical idea I described above...

Another problem to add to the list is the lack of significant exports, and a large emphasis on one product instead of multiple. Japan's main export are cars (@ 13%) with important exports making up far less of their economy with Refined Petroleum at 1.4% falling short of Industrial Printers at 2.2%, which is just below Integrated Circuits at 2.4%. Hell, even Video Recording Equipment makes their top 10 exports list at 1.4%. There's a great deal of importance on cars, with everything else lacking considerably. In economically stable countries, there isn't an emphasis on exporting one product, it's spread equally across multiple exports. The second demand for Japanese cars go down, and they begin exporting far less, that's when more troubles will arise -- and that could very well be catastrophic to their economy if such a thing were to happen.

I should start purchasing J-Rock releases that I have on my wishlist :/

But this sucks though, I never thought Id see the day to be honest. I hope they get out of it. Lord knows how much of a big deal it was when the US went into recession.