Sign in to follow this  
CAT5

How Important is the "V" in VK?

At any rate, visuals aren't important enough to make me like or dislike a band, but if used correctly, they can definitely add "something"

That pretty much sums it up for me.

Same here.

Certain looks can have a positive effect on how you experience music. I agree on the GazettE with DIM. Especially the video for DISTRESS AND COMA couldn't have possibly been better. It fits the musical atmosphere perfectly.

It works both ways of couse. I associate some looks with certain music genres. The average metal band with long haired dudes who pose in a certain "bad-ass" way on their band photos, are VERY repelling. But if I had never heard of 9GOATS BLACK OUT, I'm sure their visual presentation would instantly make me curious about their music.

In my opinion, I don't care about the visuals or aesthetics at all. Sure, you might enjoy watching the PVs more because of the costumes and such, but when you're actually listening to music, you don't really give a shit about how any of the members look like or dress. I personally don't give a shit if they have dreadlocks for beards, are bald, hairy or whatever.

She said it all. 8)

Same as Aion, it took me a while to figure out these bands were in a specific movement, VK. I listened to them for the music, which I thought was pretty cool at that time.

Now I'll be honest and say that the visual part of a band does matter up to some extent, I like browsing pictures of specific bands. I have to say if I'd prefer a look, it'd be the angura look. No reason why though, I just do.

But I wouldn't stop listening to a band if the members are fugly. Couldn't care less really.

Oh and Devin getting rid of the skullet was a good decision. Fuck you metal hair fans.

It makes it more interesting, I think for every type of music theres visual no matter what. Except mayb rock or metal.

In rock and metal too, very much so. Quite often you can tell the vague genre a rock or metal band plays by looking at their promo shots. Sometimes even the specific sub-genre.

In the end, every band has a "visual", unless they never publish any pictures and never play any lives. But if they show themselves as a band in some fashion, they have a visual. Even if you only wear jeans and shirts. Quite often that's also a consciously chosen decision signifying "we are ordinary, down-to-earth guys!". In other words: if you choose a look that says "hey, we don't care about the look" you already did. :lol:

i guess,but i do agree on your "down to earth guys" thing.

And the hair thingy, LOL. that soo true for metal. Vk is more for dying your hair a lot.

I honestly don't think with all the time, money, and effort put into it all that the visuals of visual kei (especially bands like Versailles et. al.) and all the photo books, nude shoots, PV's, and "limited edition pictures" they try to sell, that the band is trying to target an audience who cares only for the music. :lol:

Should it matter? To someone who is obviously obsessed with visual kei and doesn't seem to be interested in anything else, yeah methinks so. Does it matter to me personally? Sometimes; I do occasionally discriminate against bands who dress/look certain ways (though I'm not always consistent). I don't think that's such an awful thing either, as long as you're brutally honest about it. ;P

I really don't care about them at all, except possibly in the sense that I've occasionally been guilty of avoiding bands that look especially retarded. I listen to VK because there's a largely prevalent sound that I enjoy. I know people like to winge on about how VK isn't a genre and all bands are special and unique, but I find that hilariously retarded. Most of them DO sound similar in the same way most nu-metal bands sound similar.

So no, visuals don't matter to me in any kind of positive way. I'd rather they just wore jeans and t-shirts so I don't have to cringe everytime I come upon a picture of a band I like.

I really don't care about them at all, except possibly in the sense that I've occasionally been guilty of avoiding bands that look especially retarded. I listen to VK because there's a largely prevalent sound that I enjoy. I know people like to winge on about how VK isn't a genre and all bands are special and unique, but I find that hilariously retarded. Most of them DO sound similar in the same way most nu-metal bands sound similar.

So no, visuals don't matter to me in any kind of positive way. I'd rather they just wore jeans and t-shirts so I don't have to cringe everytime I come upon a picture of a band I like.

Hm...

Sounds like they do.

Lol, instead of just highlighting what you want to use to make a point, why don't you read the rest of the sentence? I said, they don't matter to me in a POSITIVE WAY, that is, I don't use ~pretty~ visuals or ~cool~visuals to like a band, or even to check one out. They're more likely to repulse me, if that's the mood I'm in at any given time.

Also, the thread name is relevant. The visuals in VK aren't important to me at all. If they were, I wouldn't listen to it, because they'd all look too retarded to me. Which is the point I figured I made, but I forgot to take into account that you kids can't read these days, so whatever.

Lol, instead of just highlighting what you want to use to make a point, why don't you read the rest of the sentence? I said, they don't matter to me in a POSITIVE WAY, that is, I don't use ~pretty~ visuals or ~cool~visuals to like a band, or even to check one out. They're more likely to repulse me, if that's the mood I'm in at any given time.

Also, the thread name is relevant. The visuals in VK aren't important to me at all. If they were, I wouldn't listen to it, because they'd all look too retarded to me. Which is the point I figured I made, but I forgot to take into account that you kids can't read these days, so whatever.

Sounds like visuals still matter to you! Sorry!

The visuals were the main reason why I got into VK.

But it doesnt matter that much now.

Although bands with better visuals tends to attract my attention.

No Visuals don't matter, but they are cool. Unless you wanted to start your own VK band that is then I would say yes try hard on your look.

I get what you mean, but it still does sound like it matters to you, specially when you say you would cringe to their looks and they look retarded. If they didnt appeal to you in anyway you WOULNDT CARE for those things WHEN LOOKING AT THEM. You'll be like WHO CARES i like them.

and this part :

I wouldn't listen to it, because they'd all look too retarded to me
They would if you cared? but you dont which means you like the way they look? or you mean: "I dont care for their look but i like their music" ? Which makes more sense if thats what you are saying. Make it simple that way ppl understand. I did for sure since so many things made no sense. Which i took time to figure out.

Tho the V is what brought me into this fandom ( Damn you stupid teenage self) it is what turns me off from most of the bands. And good thing too, the more ridiculous a band looks the worse they sound.

simply put, if aesthetic/visual doesn't have big part,

most people in this vk scene will not bash An Cafe, SuG, and bands alike just few secs after they looking at their outfits without any knowledge of their music at all.

We hear it often didn't we, "omg they look so cool" "omg crapppy as shii.." everytime bands changes looks on their websites. B-)

I don't listen to vk because of the looks because we know that all vk bands are talented musicians so the visuals don't matter at all. GENERIC EXCUSE IS GENERIC.

Visuals play the most important role in VISUAL kei. I may not enjoy the music by 80% of these bands, but I certainly do like seeing through their photos.

Well, if you want me to consider it literally, "kei" doesn't actually mean anything other than to show that "visual" is the style. So the only thing "VK" actually refers to is really just the "V". Lol.

But considering your REAL question, I think the fact that they're "visual" bands really creates the scene. Not in a sense that they care more about the visual part than the music part (which I think isn't true for many of them), but I think it really influences the whole attitude and appeal of the scene. I like how a lot of bands (or maybe just some?) feel free to experiment with different sounds and styles, and similarly influence others this way, because their scene is not strictly defined based on a certain musical style, but rather because they're "visual". And also, it's nice how the visual part of what they're doing may inspire their music. I think it's more about not limiting their imagination (and if you think of it that way, many musicians who are not "visual kei" are doing the same thing). I don't really care if a "VK" band isn't actually visual in the sense of wearing theatrical costume, crossdressing, & make-up and whatnot (e.g. Waive). But it's nice that they're in a pretty awesome rock scene. (And it's pretty awesome how open they are about androgyny and the emotions/attitudes related to it).

I got into VK because of how they looked. I was a real Oshare head without realizing it, instantly digging LM.C, An Cafe and SuG. But now, if a band looks pretty (which cmon, in VK, that's pretty much always the case) to me, that's just a bonus. I love bands which have that casual look outside of VK too, so it's not something I seek out, but appreciate the effort they put into it to make themselves visually appealing too.

Coming from a world where Glam Rock was (or still is, if you think about it — seeing as Visual Kei is simply a derivative of Glam Rock) my main entertainment source, I grew immune to what these guys looked like and it wasn't the appearance that would draw me in. Or rather, their appearance is secondary against their music, because no matter how beautiful some bands look, a lot of times their music is something I cannot stand. I've worked my way upwards from bands such as X Japan, Luna Sea and Loudness where the appeal wasn't yet so severely drawn to their image, so you can probably see where I'm coming from.

Of course Visual Kei wouldn't be the same without its image, and the term 'Visual Kei' would not make a lot of sense if they would dress like in the regular. A lot of these bands wouldn't have gained the attention they have now if it wasn't for their extravagance either. In my case, 'Glam Rock' suffices well enough when it comes down to certain bands.

I got into visual kei for the music. I discovered Dir en grey, only hearing the music, then wanted to find other bands so I searched online and discovered more visual kei artists. Seeing their looks was fun, but not important because I had first enjoyed the music.

To me it isn't important at all, a good band is a good band regardless of their outfits. I mean, just look at Yeti, they dress like dollar store gypsies and are one of the best VK bands at the moment

Sign in to follow this