Zeus

Robin Thicke Admits Drug Abuse, Lying to Media in Wild 'Blurred Lines' Deposition

http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/6251515/robin-thicke-drug-abuse-lying-media-blurred-lines-marvin-gaye

"Blurred Lines," the pop hit that has quickly become one of the most fascinating and controversial songs of the young century, has now spawned even more to discuss thanks to the appearance of absolutely bizarre depositions given by the song's singer Robin Thicke and producer Pharrell Williams. The sworn testimony, revealed for the first time in a Los Angeles federal court on Monday, covers such subjects as authorship, song credit, drug abuse and media promotion, and with almost certainty, will change perceptions of a hit recording that was dubbed last year's Song of the Summer.

Then, there's the lawsuit filed by Thicke, Williams and song co-writer Clifford "T.I." Harris Jr. intended to protect "Blurred Lines" from claims of being a rip-off. They are facing off against the children of Marvin Gaye, who in a cross-complaint accuse the plaintiffs of making an unauthorized derivative of their father's 1977 classic "Got to Give It Up."

The transcripts of the depositions don't necessarily refute the plaintiffs' contention in their own summary judgment motion that "Blurred Lines" and "Got to Give It Up" are not substantially similar for purposes of a copyright analysis, but on the road to a trial that is currently scheduled for February 10, 2015, the Gayes believe they have ammunition to destroy the plaintiffs' credibility and honor.

Now this is fun.

What do you think?

Can you actually sue for a song being a "derivative" of work? Last I checked a lot of artists wear their influence from their idols on their sleeves. I mean, most songs in the pop market today basically cannibalize each other. But this song isn't using the same drum beat, bass line, or vocal melody... it just carries the same "spirit". What the industry has called a "throw back" track for some time now. I'll be surprised if they win this case, it'd open the door for a lot of chaos in the industry.

I agree, watching this unfold will certainly be entertaining.

they have ammunition to destroy the plaintiffs' credibility and honor.

Bye bye Robin Thicke.

LOL, smh...this song seems to have become the bane of Robin Thicke's career...I think it's pretty obviously inspired by Marvin, but it's not a direct copy. It's unfortunate that people are so nitpick-y and money-hungry, but that's the way the cookie crumbles...people are vultures and figures as public as Thicke automatically have targets on their backs.

Things haven't been looking too good for Robin lately in general tho...and it looks like he just unintentionally abdicated his "blue-eyed soul" throne to the likes of Sam Smith ^__^;

There's been a lot more obvious rip-offs in Rock music (eg Jet - Are you gonna be my girl vs Iggy Pop - Lust for life or Green Day - Brain Stew vs Chicago - 25 to 6 to 4) but rock musicians are - in my experience - far more chill about stuff like that.

I don't like this Robin person so I honestly don't care... But I think when you're that rich and able to work with such a big, established team and are still unable to come up with 100% your own shit, you're probably don't deserve all the fame, money and praise that you get.

It's ridiculous that Robin&co sued to begin with, I mean if it was the summer song of last year, no one will give a shit anymore in 6 months anyway - oh wait, perhaps that's their goal.

Edit: I mean, of course there are a lot of rip-offs everywhere but I think it's worse when rock musicians copy each other because I... I value rock more? haha and pop songs sound so similar to me anyway...

lmfao if filing lawsuits for songs "sounding similar" is going to become acceptable I'm pretty sure X Japan's Yoshiki doesn't need to shit out 3 collection albums each year to get his cash any longer.

on another note robin thicke is basically a huge asshole and has no real talent so I wouldn't be too upset if this is the end of his career LOL.

I really couldn't believe when I saw his song hit the charts and continue to climb up it. I mean, I don't understand how anyone was alright with listening to a song pretty much insulting every and any woman (if I've got the wrong end of the stick about the songs meaning, then apologies). I'm not surprised about the ripping off, or the drugs actually.. I just can't understand how anyone could still have any respect for him after hearing what's happened with him. I so hope this is the end of him. Furik and HIZAKAMI pretty much summed it up for me. 

Blurred Lines is fantastic. It's catchy as fuck, which is all that matters to be honest.

Also, drugs? Who gives a fuck what he's doing. Could be snorting mountains of cocaine for all that I care, just like with every other artist out there.

This man is the most disgusting human being (if one can even call him human at all) in the music industry and showbusiness in general, as of current events — right up there with the disgrace that is Justin Bieber. I'd really like to see him stoned and humiliated publically; someone needs to start a witch hunt against him.