Original Saku

Pokemon X & Y (Discussion & Coordination Thread)

I come here to discuss an important development. I have too many Vulpix. How many is "many"? Try upwards of 500.

So I come here out of desperation: people, please trade me for my Vulpix. I'll trade you a DW pair (with the ability Drought on at least one of them) for any pair of Pokemon. I don't care about natures, IV's, none of that. I just want to get as many of these into cartridges where they'll be used before I commit the Great Vulpix Genocide and release them all.

I was going to bite the bullet and buy this over Nintendo's 3DS eshop, but eshop has been down ever since I made my decision! (It was working about an hour before I decided to buy one of the versions. XD) I think that's fate telling me to stick with physical copies... I'm leaning towards Y for Purrloin/Liepard. I no curr 'about anything else.

Update to Zess' trading shack:

I'm currently in possession of **multiple** 3,4 & 5 31 IV Honedge babies. If you want one, let's talk.

What are the natures? I still need a Quiet one (already got Adamant, Rash and Brave). Need to get that special Aegislash.

Oh, I have tons of Pokémon with 4 IVs and beneficial natures too if anyone's interested. Also have a Gastly (Timid) and a Mawile (Adamant w/ Intimidate) with 5 IVs (31/x/31/31/31/31 and 31/31/31/x/31/31 respectively) left that no one seems to want. lol

I come here to discuss an important development. I have too many Vulpix. How many is "many"? Try upwards of 500.

So I come here out of desperation: people, please trade me for my Vulpix. I'll trade you a DW pair (with the ability Drought on at least one of them) for any pair of Pokemon. I don't care about natures, IV's, none of that. I just want to get as many of these into cartridges where they'll be used before I commit the Great Vulpix Genocide and release them all.

Hey Zess, I'll take two off your hands if you haven't committed the Great Vulpix Genocide yet. One with Drought at the very least if you still have it

Can someone explain to me how to EV train a pokemon? I don't mean what do I do, I mean how. 

For example, I have a sliggoo with these current stats:
HP: 137

Attack: 85

Defense: 70

Sp. Attack: 98

Sp. Def: 115

Speed: 56

Now, if I were to EV train this mother bear, what should I focus on to get the best out of it? It's speed is low, and the Specials are higher than the regular attack and defense

It depends on what you want to do with that pokemon. The point is to emphasize certain stats for whatever role you plan on using it. For example, if you want someone to be a support-ish mon, you'd probably pick someone more naturally tanky and EV train it in def, sp. def, and speed so it can have a fighting chance at going first or at least be able to not be 1 hit ko'd by everything. 

Sweepers are the opposite: you want them to focus in whatever attack attribute they're strongest* in and their speed, so you should probably pick something naturally fast like Gengar, Zoroark, Blazekin, Infernape, that stupid centipede thing, etc. Since they're probably always going to hit first, they need to pack enough of a punch to actually beat things before taking damage because 9/10 times they're glass cannons and pretty much looking at them for too long will cause them to faint. They typically hold a focus sash for that reason.

Some things can't fill certain roles no matter how you train them. Shuckle is never going to be a mixed sweeper. Alakazam is never going to be a tank. Charizard will never make a good support.

*strongest typically means whichever attack stat is higher, but sometimes you can get away with choosing the weaker stat if the move pool is 1000x better (Greninja) or if they can actually pull off mixed sweeping (Lucario).

*sometimes you can get away with choosing the weaker stat if the move pool is 1000x better (Greninja) or if they can actually pull off mixed sweeping (Lucario).

YES YES YES! Too many people look down on physical Greninja because "his physical attack sucks". Base 95 physical attack is not bad and there's no point in having base 103 special attack if you have very little to use with it. Plus, you have Protean (probably one of the best abilities in the game), Power-Up Punch and crazy amounts of coverage in Rock Slide, Smack Down, Acrobatics, Aerial Ace, Waterfall, Return, Night Slash, and two priority moves in Shadow Sneak and Water Shuriken.

What does special Greninja have? Oh right, an over-reliance on Hidden Power to get perfect neutral coverage, no priority special moves, and no way to boost offensive stats. Yeah, I'll stick with physical Greninja.

/rant

Also, if you ever plan on making a mixed sweeper you're going to have to sacrifice your defenses to do it. It's part of the reason why most people don't run them often.

Ahh gotcha! Well, Aside from my Aggron, I wanted to make Sliggoo (or Goodra as it will be) into sort of a secondary tank for when there's an opponent to fast that I want to lay damage to. I battled someone with a Greninja with better moveset than mine and it almost took out my team, had I had another tank, I could've knocked it out.

Okay, I'm understanding it more now. I know now how I should train my sliggoo. One friend of mine told me to just boost the stats that were already high rather than balance them out. Thanks Zess and Peace!!!

Glad I could help a bit.

Some references that are good are here for 6th gen and they also have one for 5th gen which are somewhat accurate now too. The movesets will be a little different, but it can still give you an idea of what you could possibly do with certain pokemon. It is meant for a competitive meta though, so I don't always follow his / her writing to a T because metas are usually less entertaining for me.

For someone who never had the chance to get a Celebi (and always wanted to have one), I'm very excited. :D

Jirachi next please

Thankfully I have Jirachi and Mew from the events in White (or was it Platinum?) .

Unfortunately, I don't have a Darkrai, Mespirit, the sapphire thing, Rayquaza, Crescelia, any of the Regis, nor Manaphy ( I do have Phione though). I also missed all of the gen 5 special pokemon too~~~~ [/pokemonMaster]

If fake pokemon aren't allowed in the pokebank, then chances are I won't have a shiny Regirock nor shiny Deoxis either :staru:

Okay, this is very selfish of me but I just really want a Latios and a Rayquaza! 

Also, does anyone here know of a cloning technique that still works as of today? All the cloning techniques I look up on YouTube either don't work because of the updates or require you to do some ultra-precise things that only work maybe 1 in 100 times

You can always try the technique of cutting off a trade. If you do it at the right time then there should be two copies of a Pokemon but you have to sacrifice another one to do it. I do not know the steps but I accidentally did it with my Darkrai once.

Anyone want a 4 IV Growlithe? I have a whole bunch since I just finished breeding for one. I couldn't get it to have 5 IVs, so it won't have max HP. Not like it'll make much of a difference anyone, since the goal of Pokemon is to play the type game. 

I got the game today and I'm just going through the main story atm, haven't really figured out how everything works yet. I bought Pokemon X and went with Froakie as a starter (water starters ftw! Ever since Red/Blue I have always used a water starter)

You can always try the technique of cutting off a trade. If you do it at the right time then there should be two copies of a Pokemon but you have to sacrifice another one to do it. I do not know the steps but I accidentally did it with my Darkrai once.

I was trying that out after I saw a video and I tried it with a friend. The steps were you had to press the power button exactly 4.5 seconds after the bottom animation screen turns on after the pokemontrade animation ends but everytime I did it either the trade fully worked or it didn't work, never a clone and we tried it about 10 times or so