nitta

DEAD END Tribute -SONG OF LUNATICS-

My favorites are Embryo Burning, Spider In The Brain & maybe Night Song.
RYUICHI should've sung So Sweet So Lonely & yasu should've gone for I Can Hear The Rain !

What do you think ?

Ryuichi sucks and Yasu should stick to Janne Dar Arc. Neither of them should touch any of Dead End's work. Morrie shouldn't even be allowed to cover his own work. His voice sucks now. Why can't they just let a good thing die? brb

*listenes to ryuichi's serafine cover* *pukes* *finds out who is singing serafine for the cover album* *pukes blood* 

They didn't suck for me. I just thought if they switched songs they would've made great covers.

Er... How do I tag this? Haha

To the point, before listening I was thinking Ryuichi and Yasu would've been better if they switched songs, but after listening I can't really agree... Ryuichi's "breakout" at the end of I can Hear The Rain is just gorgeous.

Interesting to see The Godsend is the first time in a lot of years we see Kiyoharu doing some Goth rock stuff. Serafine was a surprise too, as I never listened to Ali Project before and her combination with Sugizo's guitar was beautiful too. And I love the modernization of the song, at least I like it a lot better than Ryuichi's cover.

props for cali gari for doing the most original cover with their new wave version of Blind Boy Project

Er... How do I tag this? Haha

To the point, before listening I was thinking Ryuichi and Yasu would've been better if they switched songs, but after listening I can't really agree... Ryuichi's "breakout" at the end of I can Hear The Rain is just gorgeous.

Interesting to see The Godsend is the first time in a lot of years we see Kiyoharu doing some Goth rock stuff. Serafine was a surprise too, as I never listened to Ali Project before and her combination with Sugizo's guitar was beautiful too. And I love the modernization of the song, at least I like it a lot better than Ryuichi's cover.

props for cali gari for doing the most original cover with their new wave version of Blind Boy Project

most people are tagging songs this way > Vocal:RYUICHI Guitar:咲人 Bass:SHUSE Drums:shuji

I knew cali gari would make something different from the original but I don't like it that much :/

My quick thoughts.... (mostly on vocals because that's my primary area of expertise lol)

Believe it or not, Hyde's vocals were the absolute best of anyone here.  At times he sounded EXACTLY like Morrie from back then.  The chick on Serafine was awwwwwful with a capital A.  Bad bad idea.  She has no range and no passion or insistence.  Sugizo was the only thing making that listenable. (Barely tho)  Ryuichi, as much as I love him, can't cover Morrie. Period.  Two completely different voices and styles.  Tetsu from Nil and Yasu also did a good job on their songs.  Though, Tetsu gets the edge because Yasu's song was way simple, almost no way he could have ruined it. Unless he was Kiyoharu. ;p

For the most part, based on this thing alone, only Hyde has any business covering Morrie more than once.  And I really hate to admit that, believe me.

One must not forget that the people on this album are famous artists in Japan. There is no reason for them to actually try to sound like MORRIE (even if for example Ryuichi earlier obviously tried to copy him), they have obviously tried to make it a "song of their own" without changing too much in it. For example I think the SPIDER IN THE BRAIN cover was ok, but it felt like Tetsu was trying to sound like MORRIE too much, and well... Then I might as well listen to the original?

Regarding Ryuichi's voice, I know how he changed so no need to show me. I am a huge luna sea fan so... However if my mind doesn't trick me he did actually not do this by his own-will, he wasn't able to sing like in the old days anymore and his vocal coach told him that he need to change style or he might lose his voice (this was 97/98 I think, so just before SHINE). However I still think he does a great job, but then again I appreciate his regular pop vocals as well, so... But do you really expect a guy to sound like he did in his 20's when he is now about 45 yrs old, and also a vocalist? He improves like everyone else. Same with MORRIE

Regarding SUGIZO, everyone knows that his ego is bigger than this fuckin' planet so did anyone actually expect something else? haha. And yeah, the Serafine cover wasn't very good...

Also regarding DEAD END, am I the only one disapointed to not see GOOD MORNING SATELITE on the album? /:

"But do you really expect a guy to sound like he did in his 20's when he is now about 45 yrs old, and also a vocalist? He improves like everyone else. Same with MORRIE"

No. I expect someone to use their self control and common sense to know when their career should end. None of these Japanese artists really know how to quit on a high note. 

"One must not forget that the people on this album are famous artists in Japan. There is no reason for them to actually try to sound like MORRIE"

There is a difference between trying to sound like the original artist and singing like you are waiting for your paycheck. Every Luna Sea concert now is for money. There is no reason for them to keep playing their old songs and to release shitty new ones that nobody cares about. It's about the money. And don't even try and pretend that Morrie changed his voice because of age. He's a completely different singer. He's even worse than Sakurai is now. The excessive vibrato is laughable.

Listen to the part at 5:48 and then listen to the same part on the Hyper D performance. It's disgusting. 

btw I'm surprised that Sugizo has such an ego. I've never really found him to be that great of a guitarist.

Regarding MORRIE I really can't say much since I am not a huge fan of DEAD END, especially not past-revival.

But this statement: " I expect someone to use their self control and common sense to know when their career should end.".

I hope that you are aware of that atleast Ryuichi is more famous in Japan now than he ever was with LUNA SEA. The mainstream people who actually knows of him don't even know who LUNA SEA were because he is not connected to visual kei for most people. A good example is a friend of mine from Osaka who lived in Sweden for a year, she knew who both Ryuichi and Shinya were. Ryuichi from his popcareer and Shinya for being married to whatsherface in Morning Musume. Also both J and INORAN are doing farely well with their solo careers, so I don't see how you can say something like this. Not that this really contributes anything to this topic but i just wanted get things straight lol. Oh and yeah, I'm pretty sure LUNA SEA is not doing this for money but because they want to. Ryuichi gains absolutely nothing by getting attention to his past career as a rock/visual kei singer, in fact I think he loses more by participating in LUNA SEA nowadays since visual kei is nothing that people "look up to" in japan, so to say.

Sorry for messy post, but its kinda late.

I think you are underestimating the popularity of Luna Sea in Japan. I see posters everywhere, signature ESP guitars, t shirts...ect. Look at how many people are in the crowd at their concerts. They charge the shit out of every one of them because the Japanese public is willing to pay for it. How do you think they got those solo careers? Luna Sea's videos have way more views on youtube as well. Judging by the amount of merchandise they have in record stores. I'd be willing to say that Luna Sea made more money from 91-2000 than all of the members have made with their solo careers combined. Anyway. I was talking about quality, not quanity. Know how to end your career when you are producing good music, not when you are shitting out unoriginal, uninspiring, overproduced crap. 

I know that LUNA SEA are popular in Japan as well but in a certain crowd. They usually fill Tokyo dome (65,000 people) out of 126,000,000 in Japan. It's really not that much, of course they are BIG but then again look at glay or b'z for example. All I'm saying is that I honestly believe that Ryuichi makes more money (right now) on his solo career than by LUNA SEA, same goes for J.

Also, it's not fair with a statement. Most people want to push their limits, try new things and grow as a person, same goes for a musician. If Ryuichi sang with the same hardrock vocals he did in his teens, he wouldn't have a chance to grow as a vocalist. How would you feel being stuck at the same job, doing the same things every day without any promotion or a chance to try new things from 1986-2013. I think it's basically the same thing. So yeah, I too, as you, actually prefer his old vocals (my main obsession of LUNA SEA is pre-MOTHER), but I still appreciate his new singing style; which btw isn't actually new since he's been singing like this since 1997~.

EDIT: Also, what you may seem as uninspiring and overproduced crap is pure gold for someone else. Obviously a lot of people like his solo-era and I think most people who hates on him are stubborn fans who are stuck in the 90's.

I thought the tribute album was just alright, despite having been blown away by the lineup, which if I read correctly from that Morrie x Kiyoharu natalie.mu intereview, took upwards of a year to assemble.

I think tribute albums can fall into two categories, ones that try to faithfully reproduce the songs they are being covered and ones that try to actually put their own spin on a song. This album was mostly the former with the exception of the tracks written primarily by one person or band (Kiyoharu, Cali Gari and Boris). It was largely a cut-and-paste affair by the producer where the artists involved got to add their own flair but for the most part had to stay within the lines of what the original song was. You could almost feel like the musicians, while amazingly talented and varied in their own right across the Jrock / Vkei spectrum, weren't even in the same room together when recording these songs and just individually came in and recorded their parts. Maybe I'm wrong about this but considering the lineup, I'm a bit doubtful these sessions had everyone in the room at the same time.

So yea, it's enjoyable in an all-star cast sort of way but I think no artist really got to take control of the song they were covering with the exception of the ones mentioned.

That said, I did appreciate the vocals of Hyde, Tetsu and Baki, who I'm most familiar with, and the other musicians spotted throughout. Hyde is a dead-on replica of Morrie especially with the reverb cranked to 11 like most the covers off Dead End's first album. I'm a huge Tetsu fan and although I've heard him sing like that on some songs he rarely does so for a whole song. It either shows that he's trying too hard or just having fun with it. Who knows? I didn't care for the Serafine cover. It had no power to it and seemed like it was being different for the sake of it. "How would this sound with female vocals?!" Why not have Morrie sing a Utada Hikaru cover next!

And in defense of artists reliving their past glories or just leaving it behind, I don't think it's a fair to suggest they should leave it behind just because we personally don't think it sounds any better than the original. If anything, as fans, if we don't like newer renditions or newer work we should simply just leave the artist behind. Move on, that's it, no need to tell new fans they're stupid for listening to the artist now. There's plenty of bands that I only like a certain style of. It would be foolish, and ultimately frustrating, to think that one could possibly like every path of artistic growth of a musician or any artist for that matter.

Anyway, most of these artists are creating new work on their own and so what if they go back and relive or try to recreate their older work? Whether it's a cash-grab move or a legitimate artistic one, so be it. Sure, they don't have the power they used to and I totally agree that Morrie's voice is weaker now, Ryuichi doesn't sing like he used to, or Hyde doesn't wear white frock gowns, etc. but does that mean they can never touch the past again just because it doesn't please fans now?

" Is there really any reason to "re live" past glories? That seems pretty desperate if you chose to cover your old work when your abilities are obviously lacking, or you changed your style completely in order to compensate for your lack of skill. It's like watching Tyson in his later career. Do yourself and your fans a favor and hang up the gloves... 

I'm not so much of an artist myself but I think the motivations come less from trying to cover up a 'lack of skill' and more from a desire of artistic expression, which really has no right or wrong way of doing it.

Guest Magatsu

a come one, all artist are great artist and it's freaking nice that they made a cover album all together.

it really doesn't sound that bad.

That reliving your past glories is just so relative. Yeah, Morrie's voice is definitely weaker now and he can't reach 1/4 of the stuff he used to. They're still great musicians and I love You's recent compositions just as much as I loved old school Dead End. I don't really see the same problem with Atsushi or Ryuichi, though. (To be honest I don't even like early Ryuichi, I even listen more to the re-recorded self titled just because of his voice). Atsushi had a peak on the 90's, but I still like his voice now more than 80's Atsushi who just sounded so... weird on the whole new wave Buck-tick thing.

Aaand there's just no use in discussing this. It just doesn't go anywhere, specially when your interlocutor is the God of the oldschool visual kei, who knows absolutely everything, even if he's mostly wrong.

So just move on everyone