Champ213

J-Rock Awards 2012 - THE RESULTS!

I personally didn't participate because I didn't listen to much music that came out in 2012 and I didn't think it would be fair of me to vote. 

I know that sounds really stupid, but that's exactly what was going through my mind. . . 

I personally was just too lazy/busy this year to really sit down and fill the poll out, and I felt silly half assing it, so I waited with filling it out, and then I forgot. But I participated last year and I'd be really sad to see the voting go away, because I still enjoy seeing the outcome even though I didn't vote this time.

The main improvement I can think of would be allowing multiple choices (maybe 3?) for the "best" stuff (best album, best single, etc.)  

It's REALLY tough to pick just one.  Not being satisfied with my single choice has definitely affected my voting in the past, haha.

Or would that make tallying up the scores too much work?

The main improvement I can think of would be allowing multiple choices (maybe 3?) for the "best" stuff (best album, best single, etc.)  

It's REALLY tough to pick just one.  Not being satisfied with my single choice has definitely affected my voting in the past, haha.

Or would that make tallying up the scores too much work?

It would be a bit more work, but not that much. It would also help to get better results, so I will definetely consider that. I also might start the contest a few weeks later and have it run a bit longer to give people more time to catch up with music from the previous year.

Guest MaddAdam

Offering choices limits the scope of the results I feel like. I voted and if I only had a handful of bands to vote for I probably wouldn't vote. Ryu is ridiculous for bitching when he didn't even vote. I don't think many participate because most users are just leechers.

Guest Magatsu

lol, your ridiculous yourself.

I told why I didn't vote. because of the same results will come out.

it doesn't matter if I vote for little indie bands or the best major bands. it wouldn't change something.

and btw if I didn't bitch about it... then nobody did start a discussion... so don't call me ridiculous.

oh and DANAO this time I wouldn't have voted for Calmando Qual at all. I would have choosen other bands. Calmando Qual isn't my favo band at all. my favo band is on a never ending break.

cheesus, it's like talking to a brick wall...

quoting the zen-like champ213 from this very same topic, from both of its very existing sides...

As I explained, this just isn't true. The margings are so small, one vote can and DOES make a difference.

In the majority of cases it's only one vote that lies between winner and second place...So don't say "I don't vote because my vote doesn't change anything" - it does a lot in this poll.

and no, just because butthurt bitching and ridicculous claims started a discussion doesn't mean it's a good thing (and here i am participating #hippocryte) i'm sure the black plague led to a lot of discussion too...

who didn't vote has simply no right for bitching of any sorts. period

I actually wanted to vote for the 2012 contest because I listened to way more Japanese rock that year compared to previous years, but I just couldn't decide on just one choice for certain categories so in the end I ended up not voting at all. It's also quite hard for me to pick a VK artist/release over a non-VK one or the other way around since I enjoy both. I think having the possibility to enter 3 choices for certain categories is a really good idea!

Be careful. This line of discussion is fine and challenging, but don't start insulting eachother or derail it completely. I will have to intervene if that happens, so if you feel like you need to insult someone instead of discussing it in a mature way, there's always the PM function.

Guest MaddAdam

lol, your ridiculous yourself.

it doesn't matter if I vote for little indie bands or the best major bands. it wouldn't change something.

and btw if I didn't bitch about it... then nobody did start a discussion... so don't call me ridiculous.

oh and DANAO this time I wouldn't have voted for Calmando Qual at all. I would have choosen other bands. Calmando Qual isn't my favo band at all. my favo band is on a never ending break.

STFU I at least voted. It's views and ideals like yours that keep communities like this from actually being an online community. You go and don't participate in something and then just complain and go on about how your precious indies bands wouldn't have made it with just your vote and I'm sure the rest of the peeps that deep throat the indies tag like it even means anything. There are plenty of users here that prefer the indies to the major bands and if they'd participate too then maybe there would be more of an active voice for those bands. Instead you indies obsessives focus on how too many people listen to major bands and how the indies bands are oh so tragically forgotten and unnoticed when that isn't even the case considering how many Jrock fans love indies bands. If you guys would only stop being so antisocial and quiet and spread the love you have for indies bands rather than focusing on how cool you are for listening to indies bands because you perceive that "No one really likes them/No one has heard of them/Indies are cooler because they don't have big giant budgets or wide circulation," then maybe you'd actually have your eyes open and realize that there are actually a lot more fans of indies bands than you would think. Not a lot of people here judge a band on their label status and see it as black and white as the people who are way more into indies. Honestly I've never come in contact with anyone that prides themselves for listening to "only major bands." I listen to both major and indies because honestly it means NOTHING TO ME and I'm sure it's that same way for everyone else. I guess it comes down to feeling like you are more elite and "into the scene," because you listen to more indies than major. SO THIS GOES TO EVERYONE WITH A LIMITED PERSPECTIVE ON JROCK. IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU LISTEN TO INDIES OR MAJOR OR ONLY VK. WE ARE ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD BECAUSE WE ARE FANS. CONTESTS WHERE EVERYONE'S OPINION CAN BE POLLED AND DISPLAYED FOR EVERYONE IS A WAY OF BRINGING US TOGETHER AND WE SHOULD ALL BE THANKFUL TO THE MODS WHO TRY TO SET UP FUN SOCIAL THINGS FOR US TO DO. The purpose of this contest was to show users that THEIR OPINION DOES MATTER AND THAT PEOPLE CARE.  Coming in here and acting like you are some loner whose vote couldn't possibly do a single thing is just perpetuating the alienation among most of the users. The thing about online communities like this is that it's a place where you can meet people with similar AND opposing interests to the subject the board is dedicated to. Everyone here needs to stop being so cold and fucking disconnected like everywhere else on the net. This place should be a paradise for us Jrock lovers where we can converse on the music we love and get to know other fans, especially since most of us don't live in Japan. So stop acting like you are different from everyone else just because you wanted to vote for a band that didn't make the list of winners when you didn't even participate. Doing something like that is just blatantly disrespectful to the people who took time to vote and to the wonderful staff that set up these awards and did the work to count the votes. /rant

what if we have  both. you suggest artists (for our convenience) but people can also vote something else.

first is unacceptable to not vote because you think nothing will change anyway/why bother.imagine if everyone thinks like you nothing will ever change in the world. believe me i know the feeling .it's not  like my fucking country elections when you have to choose basically only between 2 people you don't like and are both morons and you know you are doomed anyway you go. you can choose whatever you want here.

and it doesn't matter if your fav artist didn't win. some people would still see what you voted and someone can care

what if we have  both. you suggest artists (for our convenience) but people can also vote something else.

This might complicate things a bit too much, but I will consider it.

I would also like to add that this year we already introduced seperate categories for Indies and Major to mix up results a bit. So I don't think this is a Major vs. Indies thing. Both Indies and Major bands have a chance of winning, because they don't compete against each other in the most prominent categories. We could split up even more categories between Indies/major, but it would make the poll very long.

Alternatively, we could experiment with seperate categories for vk and non-vk, if people would like that.

And yeah, just to give some examples on how EVERY VOTE counts, here are some actual results from the poll:

Best Album (Major)

1. Buck-Tick - Yume miru uchuu (4 votes)

2. The Gazette - Division (3 Votes)

ONE VOTE decided the victory of Buck-Tick over the ever-favored Gazette.

Best Overall Artist (Major):

1. Plastic Tree & Dir en grey (both 5 votes)

If ONE MORE PERSON had voted for Plastic Tree, they would have been single winner over DeG, a huge favourite because they usually win this category.

I don't really think suggesting artists would really work. It would only cause complaints about who are selected most likely...

And seriously it's just a poll, and only reflects the opinion of a small minority of the forum, why is this being taken so seriously..?

I like the idea of the multiple choice for categories as well. I too struggle picking "the best" when it comes to these things and I end up going back and forth for quite a while, trying to be fair to all my favorites, haha. 

A suggestion process just seems way too complicated for a poll of this nature imho . . . I imagine the staff or someone will have to select which artists will be the choices and that will be a long ordeal in itself. 

Alternatively, we could experiment with seperate categories for vk and non-vk, if people would like that.

With the number of votes that you say we got this time around, splitting up the poll in any fashion is only going to create more ties and ambiguous results.

The idea for multiple choices for categories is a good idea as long as the choices are limited to a number such as two or three so Champ doesn't have endless number crunching to do. The choices could then be ranked as the first place having "three votes", the second choice having "two votes" and then the last choice has "one vote" to also break potential ties.

I've been thinking about an easier way to possibly conduct the poll but at some point someone will have to sit down and sift through the votes anyway so I think the way we have it now is just fine. The issue is more that people don't think their voice matters and that their vote counts, even though it very clearly does. Be the change you want to see.

Oh, and for those that feel like a certain facet of Japanese music needs more exposure, I invite you to this forum to share your opinions freely.

I suppose we could do that, but I feel that people would complain that we don't give a chance to smaller, lesser-known bands. And bands like "The Gazette, Dir en Grey, Mucc, D, A and MEJIBRAY" ARE bands that rank high in the Oricon charts, so I'm not sure if that would change anything.

I'll see if there are any other opinions/suggestions, but I'll consider having pre-picked bands the next time.

But the idea is not to manipulate the results to the point that they aren't representative of the forum users anymore. If people don't vote for "Acid Black Cherry" because they don't like "Acid Black Cherry" then that's the way it is, and there's no point in trying to artifically get them into the results.

And if people like Acid Black Cherry, but choose not to vote - then they only have themselves to blame.

Would be nice to have a list either way, I mean just as a helper because I don't really vote because I can't remember if something was released in 2012 or not :U

I'm like MAN I loved that band's song! Oh man best song of 2012!! But the band disbanded in 2009 >__> 

I just have bad memory?

^this!! i have the same problem too and i get lazy to search and end up not voting.i only remember like about  2 of my fav bands with details.

that's why i said about suggestions.

maybe just a discussion before voting as a reminder of what was the new releases.

i think if they were choices more people would vote because it's too easy this way but on the other hand it's not cool to only have 3 choices.

i don't mind either way though. i kinda like everything / don't have a problem.

and it's such a long time until next time ..

Would be nice to have a list either way, I mean just as a helper because I don't really vote because I can't remember if something was released in 2012 or not :U

I'm like MAN I loved that band's song! Oh man best song of 2012!! But the band disbanded in 2009 >__> 

I just have bad memory?

Tagging the music in your library with release year + doing a quick search in your player (for example in foobar) helps alot ;)