Champ213

J-Rock Awards 2012 - THE RESULTS!

Sorry for being late, but here's finally the results to our voting.

I tried to fill at least the first 3 places of each category, but sometimes that wasn't possible if the results were too diverse, ie. too many different items with less than 2 votes.

I added the winners from last years in spoilers. However, since we changed several categories, many have no previous results.

Best overall artist (Indies)

1. A

2. 9 Goats Black Out

3. MEJIBRAY

Best overall artist (Major)

1. Plastic Tree; Dir en Grey

2. BUCK-TICK; The Gazette

Best full album (Indies)

1. 9 Goats Black Out - Calling

2. A - Tales for the Abyss

3. Vior gloire - Gloomy and wakeful night

Best full album (Major)

1. BUCK-TICK - Yumemiru Uchuu

2. The Gazette - Division; Mucc - Shangri-la

3. Matenrou Opera - Justice; Lynch. - Inferiority Complex

Best mini album (Indies)

1. the god and death stars - tonight is the night

2. D - Namonaki Mori no Yumegatari; Lament. - Totentanz; -OZ- - Crunk; DOG inThePWO – Doggy Style II

Best mini album (Major)

1. Miyavi - Samurai Sessions Vol. 1

2. The Novembers - Gift

Best single/maxi (Indies)

1. A - Elementa Alchemica

2. Strawberry Song Orchestra - Gesshoku no Circus

2. DIV - Natsu no Yukue

Best single/maxi (Major)

1. Dir en grey - Rinkaku

2. BUCK-TICK - MISS TAKE ~Boku wa Miss Take~

3. LUNA SEA - The End of the Dream/Rouge; LUNA SEA - THE ONE -crash to create-; SCREW - XANADU

Best PV

1.  88 Kasyo Junrei -  Reikai Nouveaux;  Halloween Junky Orchestra - Halloween Party

2.  D - Nanomaki Mori no Yumegatari; Nega - Munashiki 「Sei」 no Guui ≒ 「Shi」 no Shini

2011: 9 Goats Black Out - Kanbi na shigai
2010: D - Akaki hitsuji niyoru bansankai

2009: Versailles - Ascendead Master

Best ballad:

1. 9GOATS BLACK OUT - Panta rhei

Best Look:

1. 9GOATS BLACK OUT

2. Kiryu

3. Cell; MEJIBRAY

2011: Versailles

2010: Kiryu

2009: 9GOATS BLACK OUT

Best Newcomer

1. DIV

2. Cell; Grieva

2011: Mejibray, Signal & Unite
2010: Lc5

2009: cocklobin

Best individual musician

1. Miyavi

2. Kiyoharu; Sugizo; Kyo

2011: Sugizo & Miyavi
2010: Gackt , Kiyoharu

2009: Leda

Best live

1. An Cafe

2011: GalapagosS @ London

Saddest disbandment

1. 9GOATS BLACK OUT

2. Nega

3. Dali; Psysalia Psysalis Psyche

2011: D'espairsRay
2010: Kagrra,

2009: Sugar

Most disappointing release

1. Mucc - Shangri-la

2. 12012 - 12012; The Gazette - DIVISION; Versailles - Versailles

2011: the GazettE - TOXIC
2010: Mucc - Karma; Lycaon - EROS

2009: girugamesh - NOW

Most overhyped band

1. MEJIBRAY; the Gazette

2. Dir en Grey; GALEYD

2011: the Gazette
2010: the Gazette

2009: ViViD

Most overhyped release

1. The Gazette - Division

2. Mucc - Shangri-la

3. Versailles - Versailles

2011: The Gazette - TOXIC
2010: Deathgaze - BLISS OUT

2009: The Gazette - DIM

Band that changed their sound for the worse

1. 12012

2. Mucc

3. Sadie

2011: Mucc
2010: Mucc

2009: Girugamesh

Most improved band

1. Mucc

2. The Kiddie

Band you spent most of your money on in 2012

1. Plastic Tree; Dir en grey; Kiryu

2011: Dir en Grey
2010: Versailles

2009: Versailles; The Gazette; Dir en Grey

What the Hell were they thinking!?-award

1. 12012

2. Mucc; Versailles

2011: Girugamesh
2010: Ayabie/AYABIE;

2009: Sadie; SuG; The Mad Simpsons

Most anticipated release of 2013

1. Dir en Grey - Unraveling

2. LUNA SEA album; Matenrou Opera album; MEJIBRAY album

Your wish for 2013 (relating to jrock)

Too many differens answers, check the voting thread for details.

Best non-japanese release

Results here were all over the place again, but these releases were at least mentioned more than once:

Muse - 2nd Law

Alcest - Les Voyages De L'Âme

Lana del Rey - Born to Die

Deftones - Koi no Yokan

For full results, go check out the voting thread. Votes will be made visible now.

Really glad to see Vior Gloire, 88 Kasyo Junrei, The God and Death Stars, and The Novembers pick up some wins!

Unfortunately there were too many good indie albums/mini-albums that I wanted to vote for (UNiTE, Pan-d-ra, Odotte Bakari no Kuni, DIMMDIVISION. etc), but I just couldn't choose... Plus, that deadline just snuck up on me and I forgot to vote at all, haha.

And I guess I should give Grieva a try.

Haha it doesn't make sense that both MUCC and The GazettE were in for best Major album and also Most disappointing release of 2012. Also how MUCC is also in the "bands that changed their sound for the worst" and "Most improved band" but I still love seeing this! Thanks for posting this for us, always look forward to these since I joined back in 2010

Band that changed their sound for the worse

1. 12012

2. Mucc

3. Sadie

Spoiler 

2011: Mucc

2010: Mucc

2009: Girugamesh

I like how MUCC has won this the past two years.

Shoot only second place this year??? COME ON GUYS!? 

Haha it doesn't make sense that both MUCC and The GazettE were in for best Major album and also Most disappointing release of 2012. Also how MUCC is also in the "bands that changed their sound for the worst" and "Most improved band" but I still love seeing this! Thanks for posting this for us, always look forward to these since I joined back in 2010

Meh, just haters being haters. Voting for them for the sake of just not liking them. They're popular so they're more likely to have more haters.

I'd say it's due to their sound in the Karma era being really fucking ghetto ( obviously the lowest point in the band's history ) , but with the new found fame they have been able to snatch proper production values. They sound better than they did and yet still suck. 

drrrrrppppphaterz

Thank God my fav got negative awards -_-

Also couldn't agree less with the non-Japanese albums.

But I do like how much I see Luna Sea and Matenrou Opera up there.

Agree with some of these, don't with others. But overall I do agree with the majority of the results. And I feel like I should have voted now. Oh well, there's always next time.

I agree with most of the result, but some still make my eyes bleed xD

Like MUCC who is in the "Most improved band" but wins many bad awards cause of their release and the fact that their sound changed to the worst xD

That doesn't seem very logicial

But it's just results, their were not many people who voted tho

Like MUCC who is in the "Most improved band" but wins many bad awards cause of their release and the fact that their sound changed to the worst xD

That doesn't seem very logicial

Well, it makes sense insofar as Mucc has won the "Changed for the worse"-award the last two years.  This year they are only second. So apparently some people thought they turned around for the better? XD Or at least became less bad then the previous years or whatever. (I wouldn't know, I haven't listened to a Mucc release in years.)

What happened to the voting thread? ):

It has been moved the the contest archive to make room for the MH user voting. The link at the bottom of the original post here should work though.

That's weird, maybe the permissions for the contest archive got messed up in the forum move. I will look into it.

Edit: should work now.

Guest Magatsu

it's funny that only the the badass bands win..

there is way greater music around.

That's why I don't vote.

It's funny that people don't vote and then complain about their favourite bands not winning.

I can only repeat what I said last time:

The margins in this poll are extremely small. That happens when a small number of people vote on a large number of bands. In the majority of cases it's only one vote that lies between winner and second place. In some cases, two votes overall were enough to make it into the ranks. So don't say "I don't vote because my vote doesn't change anything" - it does a lot in this poll.

That being said, there is another thing I wanted to discuss:

Participation in the voting has decreased from year to year. And it's not like there aren't enough people around. Which makes me think that the majority of people aren't particulary interested in this voting anymore. I'd surely be interested in running it again next year, but I wonder if it's worth the work. Plus, if it has even less participants, it will be hard to get any solid results at all. 

So I'd to ask:

Is there anything we should change about the voting?

Should we make it shorter or change some categories?

Should the staff maybe pre-pick some artist for each category and then let you vote on it instead of having free categories?

Should we raffle out some price to a random voter to encourage participation?

Any other ideas to make more people interested in this again? Or should we just scrap the whole voting alltogether?

Guest Magatsu

nya.. I guess people will not vote anyway.

And even if you pick up bands.. people will voe for the same bands as here before.

However you could try to pick up 30 indie and 30 major bands who did release in the year. only the onces who also are high enough in the "oricon" charts.

And then that people can only pick those.

But I still guess people never would vote for "Acid Black Cherry"..

It will still end up with The Gazette, Dir en Grey, Mucc, D , A and MEJIBRAY.

That's what I think...

However you could try to pick up 30 indie and 30 major bands who did release in the year. only the onces who also are high enough in the "oricon" charts.

And then that people can only pick those.

I suppose we could do that, but I feel that people would complain that we don't give a chance to smaller, lesser-known bands. And bands like "The Gazette, Dir en Grey, Mucc, D, A and MEJIBRAY" ARE bands that rank high in the Oricon charts, so I'm not sure if that would change anything.

I'll see if there are any other opinions/suggestions, but I'll consider having pre-picked bands the next time.

But the idea is not to manipulate the results to the point that they aren't representative of the forum users anymore. If people don't vote for "Acid Black Cherry" because they don't like "Acid Black Cherry" then that's the way it is, and there's no point in trying to artifically get them into the results.

And if people like Acid Black Cherry, but choose not to vote - then they only have themselves to blame.

Guest Magatsu

I sitll can't believe that people don't vote for Acid Black Cherry and still to see that he already sold 200,000 copies of his album "2012" then it can't be an bad band huh? Gazette never have ever sold that much.

But ABC is just an example. there are 100% more true rock bands who sell better then The Gazette but don't get listed at all..

and high rank bands are band who always sell more than 45,000 copies. even if they do a 5 montly single release.. all singles should have sold at leat 45,000 times or more.

^ But that has not really something to do with this thing.

But even with a pick-list... I still guess people would vote for THE GAZETTE.

But I would love to see if something would change. *_*

Because there are more great VK and normal Rock bands around!

To be honest, I am a bit surprised at this. I would have thought that people are mostly unhappy that less popular bands don't have a chance of winning, and not the other way around, that the winning bands don't really deserve it because they are not popular enough.

Because there are more great VK and normal Rock bands around!

And they can only be found in the top ranks of the Oricon charts? I don't think so.

Anyway, end of the year I will bring this up again and see if people want to keep this format or maybe scrap the contest alltogether.

Guest Magatsu

Well if they sell the same amount as THE GAZETTE gazette sells kinda 20,000-50,000 kinda depends really on the release. then a band is popular enough.

no Idea about Dir En Grey.

But should it be really only Visual Kei. there are also just normal ROCK bands who sell OK. ONE OK ROCK as exemple. many love them.. but we don't see them here, or PAY MONEY TO MY PAIN...

(>_<)//

Not even Japanse Metal bands...

But Yeah.. let's see how it will be next year!

Kinda start already with a list of bands who did release/planning to already something.

But should it be really only Visual Kei. there are also just normal ROCK bands who sell OK. ONE OK ROCK as exemple. many love them.. but we don't see them here, or PAY MONEY TO MY PAIN...

Because their fans don't vote for them. Simple as that. We have enough listeners of non-vk around here that they could influence the results. Sure, they wouldn't sweep all the first places, but they could enter more rankings than they do. But year after year, the regular non-vk-fans on here decide to abstain from voting.

Don't blame the vk fans for actually being the ones to make an effort by sitting down and subitting their votes.

Sure, we could pre-pick some bands, only the most popular, best-selling bands and evenly distribute them between vk and non-vk. But I have a feeling that it will mostly be the vk fans that actually take the time to vote for their favourite bands again.

First Ryu, stop complaining about the results, you didn't even voted, and don't tell me you're higher than that, every voices counts, even if you vote for small bands or for CQ, there are not just Big bands on the results (A, Vior Gloire, the god and death stars, Lament., OZ etc etc)

Here the awards were not for bands who sold the most copies in the year.  We don't live in Japan, these awards were for what WE (Europeans, Americans, every people that are here) think should win an award for each categories

So picking up bands before would be really weird, especially if you pick bands that made it to the top of Oricon, cause obviously the picks will only be really big bands like Gazette, MUCC, Pura, Laruku and some others,

and what about the small bands ? Aren't they a part of the scene too ? Does the fact that they don't sell thousands of copies mean that they are not good enough to be named here ?

I don't think so, every band deserve the right to have at least one vote

So for me these awards were all Legit

The only problem here, is that there were not enough people who voted, that's all

The only problem here, is that there were not enough people who voted, that's all

I'd be interested in hearing from those people that didn't vote why they decided not to. I can think of several explanations:

- I didn't know it was happening.

I thought it was advertised well enough, but I guess a possible solution would be to send a PM to every user, informing them about the contest.

- I didn't vote because I don't think my vote makes a difference.

As I explained, this just isn't true. The margings are so small, one vote can and DOES make a difference. Even with more people participating, each vote would still carry a lot of weight.

- I didn't have enough time to listen to all I wanted to listen.

I guess I could extend the deadline. Shouldn't be too long though, so it would still be relevant.

- The contest is too long/too many categories.

We could shorten things, remove some categories. But then again, you can always keep them empty in the first place.

- I'm just not interested in the poll at all.

That's fine. But is there anything we can do to change that? Would you participate if you had the chance of winning, say, a shopping coupon? Or if we changed the format/categories/way of voting/something else?

- I don't really listen to japanese music anymore, I just stay around for the community.

Fair enough.

But yeah, let me know what you think, so we can maybe improve the contest.