Sign in to follow this  
sai

Musical discoveries of 2012

This thread is for artists that have been around before but that you discovered this year and which you ended up liking quite a lot. Bands that formed in 2012 are allowed as well, but I'm kind of curious what everyone's musical discoveries of this year were, and perhaps we can even find some new stuff we like when trying each other's recommendations :) I will post my own list later after a few of you have shared your encounters. It'd be appreciated if you could write a small description containing what made you like them and which release stood out for you (as in, the release that got you really interested).

So, what bands/solo artists did you discover this year?

I'll leave a few now but I've got so many that I could create a gigantic list and tl;dr the topic haha.

Band: Vektor

Why: I was in need of something fast and heavy and saw mostly that Arithmetica was scrobbling them a lot. I read their description and they were described as a fusion of a lot of things I like - progressive metal, thrash, weird vocals. I took the plunge, got their latest CD "Outer Isolation" and began spinning it. It's only been a week so I don't have too many words to describe how I feel abotu them, but a good song to get started with would be "Tetrastructural Minds". Just like this band, it's all over the place.

Vocals are take it or leave it though.

Band: Dark PHEONiX

Why: Demetori's latest full-length came out last year, which reminded me how much I needed to fill the gap they leave in my musical library. Someone came into the shoutbox saying that Demetori was a nice substitute for Dark PHEONiX, so I figured this band must be what I'm looking for.

It's not, but it's damn good anyway. I would describe it best as a mix between vocaloid and rock, since it's a collaboration unit between a rock guitarist and a vocaloid person(?), except without any of the annoying things from either camp. I didn't think I could like vocaloid before I tried them out. My favorite song by them would probably be Lose rein - Unreal style, although I suggest that you start with Plain Asia first.

Band: The Tuss

Why: I've been a fan of Aphex Twin since I was 9, but I haven't really started getting back into him until about last week. I'm surprised to find out he's around and still doing things, albeit under different aliases due to life issues and Rephlex Records and some such things. The Tuss is a new electronic duo rumored to be him, so I figured I'd try it.

It's insanely good. INSANELY GOOD. I wish more electronic music like this was out and not the house/dub crap that's wubbing out of every other speaker I pass by. It ranges from chilled out to frantic to unpredictable, sometimes within the same song. Every other song is the same...yet so distinctly different. Even though it has possibly the worst title, try out the song Death Fuck. That song sold me on this group.

The Tuss Richard D. James has still got it.

I'll probably be back with some more later. If anyone tells me things they like I can try to find more similar things to it.

Since I've left my last girlfriend who was really controlling of the music I listened to, I've picked up a few bands in the past few months.

2THEDISCOLAND

B.C

BIOSPHIA

CodeRebirth

Coldrain

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Fear From the Hate

Mantenrou Opera

My First Story

Nocturnal Bloodlust

One Ok Rock

Sel'm

Sever Black Paranoia

Signal

SiM

Lol. Oh well, glad to have my music again. :3

Not that much but:

Sin of God

Cattle Decapitation

John 5

RuPaul

Nadir

The Smiths

(sorry, I'm too tired to write a longer fleshed-out post xD)

i think i posted most of my discoveries in the "song of the day" thread, so i'll cross-post these in here in a compilation, i guess i'll add a few other ones afterwards

Shining - great and very groovy/eery prg-math-metal band from norway i think

Band: Shining

Album: Blackjazz that a cool name or what?

Song: "Fisheye"

Genre: see above

qHdgtRI-zhg

Indian Handcrafts - already put their latest release in the best 2012 albums, but the self-titled predecessor is even better IMO

Band: Indian Handcrafts

Album: Civil Disobedience For Losers

Song: "Terminal Horse"

Genre: Rock... just Rock

hjsHPVhtaBg

Mare - they only did one album somewhen in mid 2000s i think, and it's a thing of utter beauty (yes, those 3 tracks belong together...)

Band: Mare

Album: Self-Titled/Mare

Song: "Tropics-Palaces-SunForMiles"

Genre: Sludge-Doom-Jazz-Vocalpolyphony

yTZLv5kD-kA

Fw_kn9U1C7A

TYoD55ipdZo

Chelsea Wolfe - well, she's the hot stuff pretty much everywhere right now anyways. i don't like her new acoustic album but it led me to find her older stuff, which is excellent

Band: Chelsea Wolfe

Album: Apocalypsis

Song: "PalOnPale - LiveAtRoom205"

Genre: Psychedelic Goth-Folk/SingerSongwriter

WUUMq4Z1hSc&feature=relmfu&hd=1

excessive visage - it's just pretty music, very very pretty

Band: Excessive Visage

Album: non-existens

Song: "Surface Distortion"

Genre: i don't even care anymore

b4Wdn1xpSb4&hd=1

selectamood - another band from around here, party hard and in a weird way

Band: Selectamood

Album: MyBurkaMakesMeSweat

AAAHAHAHAHAHA, thats the best album name i've seen in a long time

Song: "Stoner Flint "

Genre: Indie-/Electronic Glam Party Rock ..-ish

tjVLqJdmamY

aldo raine - saw them live again here in berlin just a week ago, good music

Band: aldo raine

Album: Welthass EP

Song: "Lord Cammy"

Genre: Post-...stuff

kXk4VFXb0_U&hd=1

get their EP legally for free here (or pay them a little, they're nice dudes...)

http://aldorainedoom.bandcamp.com/

AmenRa - they are a bit one-sided, but what they do, they do proper!

Band: Amen Ra

Album: Mass IIII

Song: "Razoreater"

Genre: Post Metal, Depressive Doom

Fryh36nwa_k

Heaven In Her Arms - probably my main discovery this year, "Parselene" is an almost flawless record that spins my ipod quite frequently (if they'd just let out that completely out of tune violin in the end...)

Band: Heaven In Her Arms

Album: Shortfilm-Soundtrack

Song: "Roadside"

Genre: Post-Rock, Metal, Screamo

can skip to about 2min, that's where the song starts

48szEi88OyI#!

Soutaiseron - i actually just dig this one song of them, but this is great, it's music that tells you "everything will be fine" with cute kittens and unicorns and such, while still beeing only moderately cheesy^^

ldsil7KfaLE

ok, i'll have to make another psot with all the other stuff later

warning, will contain Kpop :)

Not all are from 2012, some are from slightly earlier maybe or after 2012, but it counts in my book idgaf.

uxM1kT81zqI

Exotic Animal Petting Zoo occasionally remind me of Dir en grey's Uroboros-era work.

lOvPoHa-yhk

my dead girlfriend are pretty damn tootin' shoegaze/dreampop with male/female dual vocals.

i9PbmdxpZG4

Mothlite produces glitchy electronic music, sort of like the electronic work of Radiohead. Fans of Aureole and Ferri. probably would enjoy this.

90ldP8uEAcw

Folk w/ spoken word segments. Nice for relaxin'.

Q-sNYejMWVY

Cold Cave make dark synthpop/post-punk mixture band, throwback to the '80s.

I would have to say the best vkei discovery i made this year would have to be Diaura. and then I just sit here and wonder where they have been all my life lol.

most of mine are kpop but:

Hello Venus

AOA

FIESTAR

and then The Koxx but they're an indie ish band.

Last year has been a pretty huge one for music. I discovered:

- D.I.D./Para:noir

- DIAURA

- Fragments of Unbecoming

- 己龍

- Lycaon

- MEJIBRAY

- SILENT DIFFERENCE

- Thousand Leaves

Upon introduction, DIAURA and Fragments of Unbecoming become instant favourites of mine.

I have no idea why it took me so long to check out DIAURA. I remember being so devastated about their previous band ヴァルナ disbanding in late 2010.

Last year I discovered:

MEJIBRAY

Calmando Qual

awoi

Nekromantix

There aren't so many, but was a really great discovery

omg awoi /sobs I used to be so into them!! i havent really kept up with them lately tho

Pää kii ( shut up )

Wery good punk bänd from finland

Kuuden vuoden vitutus (sixs years facked)

Garlic Boys

The Star Club

Cocobat

General to say, awesome Japanese punk bands :D Recommended to anyone who's a big Maximum the Hormone fan

I'll leave a few now but I've got so many that I could create a gigantic list and tl;dr the topic haha.
Band: Vektor

Why: I was in need of something fast and heavy and saw mostly that Arithmetica was scrobbling them a lot. I read their description and they were described as a fusion of a lot of things I like - progressive metal, thrash, weird vocals. I took the plunge, got their latest CD "Outer Isolation" and began spinning it. It's only been a week so I don't have too many words to describe how I feel abotu them, but a good song to get started with would be "Tetrastructural Minds". Just like this band, it's all over the place.

Vocals are take it or leave it though.

YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH VEKTOR

This year for me it's ~~

Destroyer 666

Speedwolf

Windir

Dub Buk

Summoning

Discovered tons of new awesome bands and artists, but I'll name only my top 3.

I See Stars - A young band pioneering the popular electronicore style.They have the heaviness, the catchy choruses and danceable beats. I've seen them live and they are awesome. They have mesmerizing light shows with energetic dubsteps interludes between songs.

I See Stars - Electric Forest ( Feat Cassedee Pope)

Intervals - An extraordinary talented band from Canada. They play instrumental progressive technical metal with djenty chugs and glitchy sampling. They're music and playing is phenomenal. I haven't been blown away by the sheer technical musicianship of a band since I discovered Animals As Leaders.

Interavls - Tapestry

The Haarp Machine - Technical Progressive metal with middle eastern instruments like the sitar. They're technical, fast, brutal and beautiful. Awesome metal.

The Haarp Machine - Extension To One

MEJIBRAY was probably the only band which I REALLY discovered in 2012. They just blew me outof the water with the great instrumentation, and good vocalist. Found some similarities to DeG, which only added to my enjoyment.

EDIT: Gotta say I rediscoverd Anberlin too, I liked a few songs of them before, but their last album was awesome, made me delve deeper in their discography, and I started loving them XD

Sign in to follow this