Sign in to follow this  
Prophet

EXTREME METAL OLYMPICS 2012

It is quite late for me to post it now. But for those who don't know yet..

EXTREME METAL OLYMPICS

Welcome to the Quarter Finals of Loudwire’s Extreme Metal Olympics! We’ve had an insane week so far, with some of the heaviest, most influential and innovative bands within the realm of brutality battling for the gold. Beginning with 32 bands representing their homelands, we’re now down to eight.

Group 1

Death (USA) Vs Lamb of God (USA)

VOte-here-50x50.png

Group 2

Sepultura (BRA) Vs Cannibal Corpse (USA)

VOte-here-50x50.png

Group 3

Children of Bodom (FIN) Vs Messhuggah (SWE)

VOte-here-50x50.png

Group 4

Dir en Grey (JPN) Vs Arch Enemy (SWE)

VOte-here-50x50.png

You can vote once per hour!

Note:

I am hoping, of course, you guys will vote for Dir en grey for this competition. But the choice is yours, support your fave band to your heart's extent and spam-vote this shit.

haha, was just browsing through the groups too :)

didn't notice the contest until opeth posted it on their facebook, i'd have liked to vote for both honestly.

never imagined they'd beat opeth but the DEG-flashmob once more was ruthless :P

(lucky for them they got through the first round, since nobody seemed to have noticed by then...)

if they were able to wrestle opeth down i imagine arch enemy might be manageable too (sure hope so, since i find arch enemy incredibly boring...)

haha, was just browsing through the groups too :)

didn't notice the contest until opeth posted it on their facebook, i'd have liked to vote for both honestly.

never imagined they'd beat opeth but the DEG-flashmob once more was ruthless :P

(lucky for them they got through the first round, since nobody seemed to have noticed by then...)

if they were able to wrestle opeth down i imagine arch enemy might be manageable too (sure hope so, since i find arch enemy incredibly boring...)

lol I remember having a harsh argument with opeth's fans back then. xD

You know Dir en grey were left behind with around 80% gap as the polling just opened. But miraculously Dir en grey turned the table and put Opeth to shame.

Hmm Death vs Lamb of God....... this is a toughy xD

Lamb of God will win this easily.

man, those discussions there are so retarded, from both sides...

don't want to jump into the battlefield there, but just a few thought about it on here,

due to longness, text in spoilers

- those kinda contests don't mean shit anyway, letting bands from completely different genres competing against each other is pretty sensless itself.

just because one wins and the other doesn't is in no way an indicator of goodness, they're just there for the heck of it and for some healthy competition

- one of the main arguments from disappointed opeth fans is

"weeabo veekay-fangils voted tons of times just for their super kawai kyo, whilst objective and attractive metalheads just put one vote up for opeth".

this might be right to some degree, but look at the numbers here, opeth facebook has 934.000 likes, whilst direngrey has 79.000.

i'll take these numbers as sort of representative since most of such a social-media-event publicity comes from social media sites ergo facebook and both bands shared it on there.

bearing this in mind even if refreshing+revoting was the case here, every DEG-fan would have had to vote 12 times (!!!!) to even just match with the opeth-masses, and in the end it was more than twice as many DEG-votes as opeth votes (making that 24x). i think it's safe to say that an entire fanbase even as batshit as the DEG-one just doesn't pull that off.

secondly even if you look at the comments on the opeth-facebook-entry about the competition there's tons of post like "i love opeth, but sorry it's got to be DEG".

so maybe there are just a huge bunch of average metal-listeners that just really dig direngrey? did i really just say that?

- then there is this huge argument about DEG beeing NuMetal and Numetal beeing crap because that's so simple.

this is wrong on every possible level.

1. DEG isn't numetal

2. Numetal isn't necessairly simple, the complexity of numetal just isnt in stupid shredding licks but more in the appreciation and experimentation of sounds, effects and rhythms.

3. Simple doesn't equal crap, in contrary some of the best songs ever are very simple

just adressing the first implication here,

yes numetal is associated with droptuned guitars and clicking (KoRn-ish) bassguitar, but what really makes Numetal what it is, is the handling of Rhythms and Groove.

yeah hiphop might be mainly an influence here for their headnodding drumbeats and in some cases the rap-parts made it into the numetal.

now play the grooviest fucking guitar riffs you can imagine (think RATM) on super heavy, superdropped guitars and there you are with a neckbreaker of Numetal-goodness.

so is there apart from 7-strings and clickbass anything like that in DEG-music?

nope, they are in many ways quite the opposite of this

(taking the MOO-album now mainly as reference).

the drums don't resemble hiphop-drumbeats at all, they don't groove the tiniest bit but seem to purposely destroy every sense of solid rhythm, they appear more like mathmetical programming translated onto the drumkit.

same story with guitars and bass. the riffs might be "easy" in terms of technicality, admittably kaoru and die aren't that great of guitarists in that sense (i havent heard a single live-version when kaoru doesn't fuck up the different sense solo yet :P)

but would you compare the MOO-riffs to RATM - Bombtrack, Drowning pool - Let the..., Korn - Freak on...?

nope, i couldn't actually compare them to anything which is one thing that makes them so special.

the riffs are very Un-Guitaristic in a way that no-one in their right mind would come up with that and think "now that's some tasty rockin' riff".

they're in fact the most ugly and ungroovy bastards of guitarism i can think of, combined now with the strange drumming, toshias eclectic bass-slapping and kyo's vocal fuckups they emerge to those monstrosities of songs that should never work in anyway but surprisingly do so very much and sound so weird and great.

- i also like that nobody is talking about the terribly mediocre arch enemy here but is still on about opeth vs. DEG, since those are bands that matter, huge props for that :D

wow that was kinda long

This contest must be joke, seriously, I can't even... I don't even want to know how they chose bands to this :lol:.

Thi sis just a friendly olympic i assume. People treat it like if its insulting there life. Just vote and hopefully humanity is on your side lol

Hard choice for me as I've seen CC and CoB live. I love both bands, but since CoB music has been mediocre since AYDY?, I would pick CC.

Everything else but Death is lolwut?

We are on the SEMI FINALS now!

MATCH 1

Death (USA) Vs Cannibal Corpse (USA)

VOte-here-50x50.png

MATCH 2

Children of Bodom (FIN) Vs Dir en grey (JPN)

VOte-here-50x50.png

You can vote once per hour!

NOOOOOOOO

Y NO Meshuggah :(

And dafuq with DeG winning against Arch Enemy :( I kinda want to blame it on DeG groupies

NOOOOOOOO

Y NO Meshuggah :(

And dafuq with DeG winning against Arch Enemy :( I kinda want to blame it on DeG groupies

My apologies but I am one of those DeG groupies. >.<

Don't read the comments there, it's dangerous for your emotion. Apparently Death's fans are throwing insults to Dir en grey and its fans here and there.

butthurtfest commence!!!

also, if they actually should win it might be wise to show around pictures like

this

so that they know who they lost to just to increase butthurtness, this is going to be fun

ohh these contests, lol²

edit:

holy crap, that was my 400th post o.O

Lolz with these people

Whoa I just checked on who is winning and i would be thinking that Death would be winning but uh nevermind lol

I also noticed that there is a song, but obviously nobody voted the certain band because of the song. But I would have chosen for Dir En grey; Glass Skin (my all time favorite ^__^). For Death I would have chosen the newly fan favorite; Lack of Comprihension. Now that would totally make no difference! :P

Sign in to follow this