Sign in to follow this  
kilt

Japanese bands like (Modern) Dir En Grey

NEED a good knockoff from dir en grey

What I am looking for is the atmospheric, creepiness that Dir En Grey has, no acrobatic guitar solo - power metal sounding stuff. Only other Japanese band I see try to attempt Dir en Grey was Gazette's Ruthless Deeds song.

Again, I am not exactly looking for the core side of Dir En Grey, but the atmospheric side. Examples: VINUSHKA!, Toguro, Dreambox.

Don't need any Different Senses, Hagesashi, juuyoku or Zan

Would love some new finds.

Maybe mutyumu?

i dunno, they're not really similar, but they're sort of unique as well

Maybe mutyumu?

i dunno, they're not really similar, but they're sort of unique as well

:wat: What album of Mutyumu sounds like Dir en grey? When the male vocalist kicks in then I can maybe see it, but he's so infrequent I wouldn't have thought of them at first.

Listen to them anyway though. They're awesome :)

I can only think of a few similar Japanese artists. One would be Nocturnal Bloodlust before they went visual (check out the song Pleasure of Torture), late-era Kokuyasou, Vermillion-D Alice Syndrome and Imperial Circus Dead Decadence. You'd honestly be better off not limiting yourself to Japanese music if you want something similar.

In terms of non-Japanese music, you could try Dark Castle.

Well, I SAID they're not really similar. It's more in a sense of "they both experiment with stuff sort of and have atmosphere in their music"

Well in that sense I suppose they're both very similar. Would you consider Mutyumu to be creepy though? If we were going on that aspect I'd probably recommend their s/t over i l y a, although I find the second album to be near flawless.

Well, not really creepy, but I don't have that with Dir en grey either

sort of 'spiritual' at times though, I guess? I can't really think of a non-stupid sounding way to describe this

When I read creepy, my mind immediately shot to their songs like Tsumi to Kisei, Kyokotsu no Nari and Warsaw no Gensou. That's about as "creepy" as Dir en grey has gotten so far. That was the basis for my recommendation of Dark Castle, even though they aren't Japanese they're pretty close to what he might want.

lB-_gASCQco

@ tokage, interesting band, might check them out further, if you like that stuff I would recommend

Yndi Halda (only one full length but honestly the best post rock I've ever heard)

Or the latest In Mourning album:

@Zessshoku

Only recommendation I liked(And fitted with the topic) was Dark Castle, will definately check them out, the rest sounded like generic metalcore, and the other band...well.....very few bands can pull off synths with metal without it being too cheesy, like this band,

Or Dark Tranquility

Dark Castle reminded me of this band, which is also very good

also I thnik they have more creepy sounds, Dreambox, Amon, Hydra 666, shitataru, Red Soil, Doruku

@Miasma

The beginning had something good, an almost "A Perfect Circle" vibe to it, then after that, I asked myself....was this a joke?

What I like about certain Dir En Grey songs, is that...its almost like a more commercialized 90s old school Death-Doom metal(Without even being Death-Doom, Kind of like how Post-rock can be beautiful, and how Classical music can be beautiful, different genres, but have the same atmosphere), type atmosphere going on in the sound,

Take the intro to this song for instance

I love stuff like that, I think Dir En Grey is possibly the only band that can take that type of "atmosphere", and commercialize it without sounding horribly off.

Not sure what you are trying to look for, but

Is Sigh familiar to you? (Should be actually) I suppose Sigh's old repertoire (Sigh fanboys/girls here might have better suggestions/recs) might fulfill your difficult request (I might have misunderstood you)

or um, let's take Zess' "other favorite" into account (after seeing your Funebrarum link + Dir en grey's "atmospheric" soundscape praising)

pAkAwUe7wYw

(Almost the same amounts of -core music as in new DEG - which you might cherish, not my cup of tea though)

Not sure what you are trying to look for, but

Is Sigh familiar to you? (Should be actually) I suppose Sigh's old repertoire (Sigh fanboys/girls here might have better suggestions/recs) might fulfill your difficult request (I might have misunderstood you)

or um, let's take Zess' "other favorite" into account (after seeing your Funebrarum link + Dir en grey's "atmospheric" soundscape praising)

pAkAwUe7wYw

(Almost the same amounts of -core music as in new DEG - which you might cherish, not my cup of tea though)

Not exactly what I was looking for but it was definately atmospheric, liked it alot.

Don't like Sigh tbh. WAAY too avant garde, the goofy kind of avant garde

I guess I should reword it, when I say "creepy", I guess I mean more like..."Unsettling" and "Mysterious".

Don't like Sigh tbh. WAAY too avant garde, the goofy kind of avant garde

They've done stuff that's more like traditional black / doom metal, if that's what you're into. Imaginary Sonicscape, maybe Hangman's Hymn and the most recent album, In Somniphobia are indeed very avant-garde, but some of the earlier albums don't have the saxophone etc. in them. Try the first full-length, Scorn Defeat, for example. It's somewhat unpolished, but very different from the avant-garde-stuff. Not that much like Diru, though, so I don't think it's what you're looking for here.

I'll probably throw out a few more bands and see what sticks.

Some drone/doom metal with a large focus on atmosphere:

pNZX0Lz-Iuk

NWOSDM

0BzMAOlwp8Q

This is my last attempt at trying to mix Diru and "atmospheric".

uuCgxY2s8xs

Don't know if you've heard of any of these bands before, but I figure I'd give them a shot.

Personally, I get the same feeling listening to some Boris music as I do listening to those Dir en grey songs you mentioned. Definitely I'd recommend Amplifier Worship album, "枯れ果てた先," the bonus track off Smile, and some songs of Mabuta no Ura. Although sometimes the tone is more of a calmer kind of atmosphere as opposed to being menacing/intense like Diru (God, nothing quite beats Toguro imho) but still recommended.

But yeah, don't know much other bands like that. I'm more into happy bands, lol. :D

Sign in to follow this