Ito

Game of Thrones

I thought this was one of the best episodes of the series so far. Shit's getting real, and it was really nice and intense throughout. Hodor, though. Always liked him a lot. :(

On 5/23/2016 at 7:40 PM, Flame-X said:

Wow, so they introduced time travel/manipulation into the show. I guess they kinda foreshadowed it in the previous eps in the Ned Stark sword fighting scene where Bran shouts out "dad!" and Ned turns around. I did feel bad for Hordar but after thinking about it, I found it kinda dumb from a writing standpoint because with time travel elements now in the game, that device can hack the plot however it wants and that detracts the emotional value of that scene. Now I have no idea where this show is going now. Every plausible fan theory is flushing down the drain.

We've never had any idea where the show was going, even the ones reading the books :) I have faith in D&D and GRRM to not take the time travel plot device and ruin it. GoT is all about subverting tropes and it would be refreshing for me to see someone use time travel effectively within a story. I agree with you overall the less he uses it the better. I know we will get more scenes because Bran will be important in communicating a lot of information we can't get otherwise, but as long as he's an observer and not actively interacting with his environment it should be okay right?

On 5/24/2016 at 8:28 PM, peffy said:

I've been reading a lot of discussion about that time travel thing. I can't wrap my head around it to explain properly, but people are saying something like Bran can only do things in the past that have "already" happened.  He caused Hodor to go Hodor in the past because it was something he'd already done in this timeline. He doesn't have the ability to go back and un-Hodor him, because that would change the timeline we're watching into a different one. So he can't go back and undo any past event.

So if this is true, I don't think there will be any "manipulation" of the timeline. That said, I'm not a fan of this at all, but it's preferable to a storyline where Bran can go back and change whatever he wants.

A causal loop right?

3 hours ago, Zeus said:

A causal loop right?

I believe so, yes. I have read too many theories about this and my brain is scrambled.

I tried typing the code in earlier yesterday and it wasn't working, I'll try it again if it's working now. :o (also, maybe I typo'd and didn't realize it last time idk)

COLDHANDS! I had a good feeling he was gonna show up. But no elk and from what I've seen around GRRM supposedly said for the books Benjen wasn't Coldhands but it makes sense for the show since they've been combining characters to keep using the same actors more.  And I'm really excited to see what's gonna happen with Arya now that she's reunited with needle. Ahhhhhh!

I used the spoiler button!! Where did it go T_T

Episode 6 thoughts

I'm really disappointed with how Margaery's "walk of atonement" went. I caaaaan't staaaaaaand the High Sparrow and this whole religious army thing. (IRL I'm very anti-organized religion lol) I was reeeeally hoping we'd get some sparrow heads chopped off and served for dessert.  Now, I just really hope Margaery is playing along with the Sparrows so she can save Loras and get a better angle to destroy them. But the things she said to Tommen are making me nervous.

That scene between Cersei and Jaime seemed like a bad omen. I feel like that will be their last romantic moment and one of them is going to die soon.

Cool, Benjen's back and he's half-undead and he conveniently saved Bran. Great, can we see what happened in the Tower of Joy now? NOW?

Really glad that Arya's story is finally moving along. She's spent far too many episodes "training". "Who are you?" "No one." "What's your name?" "A girl has no name." So repetitive!! And it turns out that she's not going to be the thing she was training to be? Well, at least the combat and poisons training will be useful, but I'm not sure how her expertise in washing dead bodies and denying that she has an identity is gonna help. 

The segment about Sam & Gilly was waaaaaay too long and pretty boring. I can't figure out how these two will play a major role in the upcoming wars, aside from Sam acquiring the sword. Also, I don't trust that baby. There's pure evil in those eyes O_O

Edited by peffy

well, that was pretty pathetic. one of the worst episodes in the entire show.

Sandor Clegane? srsly? i know it's just another old character they brought to win some time, but still... 

Arya is a fucking pussy, almost two seasons of training all for naught. she's one of my fav characters in the books, but here i hate her more with each episode. bleh.

Book readers should be getting used to this by now. They've totally changed characters and merged plot lines left and right to keep using actors they already have on the payroll...  And since they are running out of book material it seems like they are giving some nods to fan theories. If any book reader is going to enjoy the show they have to look at it as fan fiction or an alternate universe, otherwise you're just gonna have continuing disappointment for the next 2 seasons. :/

I'm neutral on this episode, personally. They gave me everything I was expecting to happen. Maybe I was expecting a longer scene with Arya and you-know-who, that would have been cool. 

yeah, i know, but still keep butthurting about some insanely ridiculous "plot twists" they did. NEED THE NEW BOOK ASAP ;___;

Yeah. The wait on the books is a killer. C'Mon GRRM!  I'm not caught up yet but I probably will be by the time the next book gets published...

Really good episode, made me excited for the last three.

Spoiler

Oh man, return of the hound made me say YES at loud haha.  It was nice to see him and Ian Mcshane's character talk about life.

I thought the episode was fantastic as well. But...

the introduction of Ian McShane's character is one of the meanest things I've experienced on screen. Couldn't they just have used another actor? Seeing him turned me the fuck on and 50 minutes later he's dead and out of the series? I'm hurting so bad right now.

20 minutes ago, Bear said:

I thought the episode was fantastic as well. But...

Reveal hidden contents

the introduction of Ian McShane's character is one of the meanest things I've experienced on screen. Couldn't they just have used another actor? Seeing him turned me the fuck on and 50 minutes later he's dead and out of the series? I'm hurting so bad right now.

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I agree, and all that talk about him previously beeing a soldier(?) I thought they were hinting that he would eventually have to fight.

Also when I first read he was going to be in this season I thought he would play a lord or something similar. 

I had no idea who Ian McShane was before this episode.. *shrug*

Also, page 70 of book 5 was as far as I got in the books, so I'm not feeling any disappointment from that. Barely remember what I read.

Episode 7 thoughts

- Felt like a lot of time (too much?) was spent on giving the Hound some motivation to fuck up some fools. Good to see him back. I wonder if he'll end up fighting against the Mountain in Cersei's trial by combat. It's a popular theory, but I feel like it would be cliched as fuck.

- I'm a huge fan of Lady Mormont. So adorable. I enjoyed seeing Jon & Sansa flail around trying to build an army, and it was interesting to hear the Glovers' reason for not joining them. Dumbass Robb and his "foreign whore". smh

- Aryaaaa why didn't you hide after securing passage on the ship? As soon as I saw that old lady, I knew it was that annoying blonde girl.

- Very happy that Bronn is back. Lol @ Edmure, poor guy.

- Super annoyed that the High Sparrow got another "lengthy" scene, but it's good to know Margaery didn't drink the Kool-Aid. Nice to see Cersei & Jaime get knocked down a few pegs. I am still eagerly awaiting the death of the Sparrows... but if the Sparrows end up winning, I'm quitting the show and writing my own fan fiction.

By the way, I highly doubt the writers are just following fan theories to write the story. GRRM has told them the plot outline for all the remaining books. Obviously they aren't going to follow the books 100% because nobody has the budget for that shit. If fan theories are turning out to be right, maybe it just means the plot has become a little bit predictable. (in any case, there's at least a million people thinking up theories, some of them are bound to be right)

Edited by peffy

7 hours ago, peffy said:

Also, page 70 of book 5 was as far as I got in the books, so I'm not feeling any disappointment from that. Barely remember what I read.

it actually doesn't make sense at all reading thousands of previous books' pages and dropping at beginning of 5th book. i mean, this is pretty much on the same level as 4th book... 

my personal books rating so far: AGoT < ADwD ~ AFfC < ACoK < ASoS

5 hours ago, Gaz said:

it actually doesn't make sense at all reading thousands of previous books' pages and dropping at beginning of 5th book. i mean, this is pretty much on the same level as 4th book... 

my personal books rating so far: AGoT < ADwD ~ AFfC < ACoK < ASoS

I think how it went was..

I bought a box set of the first 4 books (this was before the 5th came out in paperback). Read those 4 books.

Then I binge-watched the first 3 seasons of the show and watched the 4th season "live".

Then I got the 5th book but had trouble remembering what happened in the first 4 books, plus I got super bored reading about Tyrion's meal, so I gave up and decided to just focus on the show.

15 hours ago, peffy said:

I had no idea who Ian McShane was before this episode.. *shrug*

Hide contents

You need to watch Deadwood. Ian McShane is one badass motherfucker.

Those theories about Arya and Waif on reddit are insane :o

Wonder what kind of cliffhanger they will do to close this fantastic season?

Lady Stoneheart? Dany and her 3 dragons starts the journey to The North?

Jamie getting killed? High Sparrow usurped the Kingdom? R+L=J confirmation? 

White Walker invasion to The Wall? Battle Of Bastards started? So many possibilities. :D

Edited by Candy Warhol

Really enjoying this season!

"the door" fucked me up, as when the episode ended, I was just kind of frozen in place trying to process everything that happened. Glad to see Dany and Arya's plots getting a bit of traction, as the former was becoming especially irritating. I'm also rooting for Yara (her character/actor has been surprisingly compelling!) and I never thought I'd feel bad for Theon, but that's just another testament to the show's good writing!

Margaery is playing a very dangerous game, and I have a feeling things will neither end well for her or Tommen.

It'll be interesting to see where The Hound goes from here. I know a lot of people are spectating "Clegane bowl", but I'm not too interested in that theory. Either way, there are so many wild cards now, I love it.

Tommen's guaranteed to die before Cersei, if you believe that prophecy. I hope it's true.

Lots of people say they were totally stunned and/or cried at the "Hold the Door" moment... I didn't feel a thing. Hodor was just Hodor, a tool to move Bran around. They should've tied Summer to the sled, he would've run faster than Meera.

Side note, I've been half-watching The Tudors recently, and it's kind of funny how similar Natalie Dormer's characters are. Both are noble ladies who married the king due to their families wanting to increase their social standing, both are notorious for being schemers, both have secretly gay brothers.

Random useless thoughts about episode 7...

Jon was pretty useless this time, haha.

I was glad to see Brynden Tully (Blackfish) again, what a badass. In general most of the older "gentlemen" of the show are some of my favorite characters.

Jaime and Brienne's reunion should be interesting...

And it might be far-fetched but when I saw the seven-pointed-star pendant on septon Ian McShane I got more positive that we would indeed see Cleganebowl.

Edited by indigo