Guest Magatsu

Custom taxes

Guest Magatsu

Hello I wonder how many of you need to pay tax? if you import stuff from Japan.

And what's the maximum amount of money you can spent before you have to pay the damn custom tax.

Holland:

till 22 Euro (Dollar: 28,81)

For people from Holland.

CDjapan is not save anymore to order as an GIFT. I had to pay. -.-

I wonder how it is in other countries?

Seems theyre pretty active agai lately Over 2011 I ordered abou 15 packages from Japan without having to pay import taxes but over 2012 I had to pay around 40 euro for a package that was around 120 euro iirc twice already

In 2009 i almost had to pay over all my orders :(

It's been that way for a while right? If you use EMS shipping 90% of the time you need to pay taxes. At least in my experience (or I've just gotten really unlucky).

I had the same last year. I ordered a live DVD and had to pay 22,81 in taxes. Someone told me you don't have that much chance for taxes if you use Airmail, but I've been using yesasia for shopping now. They just change the worth of the package on the sticker, so no customs because the worth is too low. But I'm Dutch as well. X-Marc told me he often has to pay taxes as well. If the worth is bigger the chance is bigger you'll get them, but they've been way stricter lately :/

For EU it's 22eur value for the tax, 150eur value for the customs.

I'm actually very lucky, I've never had to pay the tax and I ordered many CDs, from cdjapan, with EMS, Airmail, etc.

Have had mostly really low value orders which they won't tax so kinda hard to say but anyway EMS packages high enough prices have been problem for me too at least. I guess I might have to try Yesasia too to see if it's does work better here too.

sry editing my post million times :|...

^ It does, i tried it. My package worth was 58 dollars, but the one who packaged it wrote worth: 8 dollars on the package, so it won't even get picked out.

EMS seems really bad lol. Oh well.. I'll see next month how I get my order (~3000yen).. I've also choosen EMS shipping and it seems, if I get caught, I've got to pay €17,- tax

I ordered a CD around that worth in 2011 with EMS and I didn't have any taxes. That was in January though. When the DVD came (which was like 4900 yen) I did have to pay taxes. I used EMS and it took 2 weeks to arrive :/ But that was mainly because the earthquake had occured only a month earlier and all packages from Japan that were sent to the Netherlands were being intimately inspected on nuclear activity. That also might've had a massive thing to do with it. If all packages are being inspected, then they'll automatically check the worth and tax it with costums :/ I didn't know back then though, I ordered that DVD somewhere end January, before the disaster. After that I never ordered at CDJapan again and switched to Yesasia, because I know I won't get taxes there. The CDJapan worker advised me (if I would buy again from them) to use Airmail, because the chance of being caught is way smaller than with EMS. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

i get charged so often by cdjapan packages

ordered now from yesasia, see if that makes a difference

also packages from USA (i had some shirts ordered) were charged

yesterday they came 2 packages from cdjapan (both around 40/50 euros) i had to pay almost 50 euros for both packages

f*cking bastards, really f*cking hate the customs

Yesasia does make a difference, I've had worth of about 60 dollars and wasn't charged.

I've never been charged by the customs (luckily) and I've had orders which were 8450Y, 7121Y and plenty of them which were 4000Y+. I buy from cdjapan and I get my orders shipped by airmail. I once bought some CDs in closetchild which only ships with EMS and I didn't get charged either, but they did hold the package and it took the same time as if it'd been shipped by airmail. That's why I always get my orders shipped by airmail. I also think that with EMS there are more chances to get charged and it's more expensive.

closetchild can also write lower values on the packages if you ask

but cdjapan/japan-discoveries/yesasia wont do that

im also wondering since i order so often if they keep on charging me, since they know i order a lot

im also wondering since i order so often if they keep on charging me, since they know i order a lot

Yeah, the closetchild guy did it for me without asking!! My order was 7000Y+ and he wrote 1000. I think he saved my life xDDDDDD

Yeah, those bastards could've seen a gold mine in you xDDD

the first time I ever ordered from brand-x, I didn't have to pay anything [was also my most expensive order of 15k yen +], but almost every purchase after has required me regardless of expenditure.

so I tried CDJapan to try to save some money by going airmail I believe?, and ended up having to pay the usual amount because they charged me 2 fees, one for tax, and another for... inspection? I'm not quite sure. 150SEK +. though I haven't ordered anything this year...

Sweden sucks :x. should definitely try Yes-Asia or whatever next time around.

Guest Magatsu

But Mark yesasia always put 10 dollar or 10euro on the parcel. so don't worry XD

I always order DVD's at yesasia.. never payed tax. :3 because they write 10euro on the parcel.. haha

But I don't like that Closed Child ships with EMS -.- that's way to expensive.. and slower as Airmail.

and sometimes slower as SAL ¬_¬

same as for Kiwamu webshop (But they can drop the amount too if you ask)

Guest Magatsu

Yeah man!! so don't worry :3

But YESASIA doesn't apply always extra bonus stuff like POSTERS. and Postcards. who are only avaible in a few Japan online shops.

I've always wondered... is this just not a thing in the US? I've ordered tons of $1000+ packages and never had to pay extra on any of them.

USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA

I think the reason US residence don't have to pay custom fees is because we have trading agreements with countries like Japan and many others (Canada, Mexico, places in the EU, etc).

My state has a sales tax though and they say we have to pay a used tax on anything we purchase out of state buuuuuut no idea how they enforce that, even if I wanted to pay it, how? Who do I call? Call up the governor and tell her I bought some tranny CDs from Japan and need to pay used tax on it?

It's so dumb.

^Lol EU only has trading agreements within the EU, but not with the rest of the world :emo: We like to think we can do it all alone.

Also the tax here is just forced upon you. The delivery guy from the post office rings the doorbell and tells you how much tax you have to pay. You'll only get your package after you've paid him the taxes in cash. If you think it's bullcrap or can't/won't pay the taxes, he'll just take the package with him back into the van, so yeah, you don't have much of an option here :/

To be honest, I think all these taxes are robbery. If someone buys an item that can't be bought inside the EU and buys it for themselves, not to earn money on it, they shouldn't pay any taxes and customs, because the idea of these is to protect the local business... but no one loses money on it if you wouldn't buy anything like this, because it isn't available here! It's just a way to take more money from people -____-

actually japan-discoveries can write lower values on the packages if you ask. =)

i only needed to pay once to the customs when i ordered dvd from cdjapan. i used registered air mail back then. the total price was ~10 000yen...