Sign in to follow this  
Pandabear

Evanescence

evanescence.jpg

Evanescence is an American rock band founded in Little Rock, Arkansas in 1995 by singer/pianist Amy Lee and guitarist Ben Moody. After recording private albums, the band released their first full-length album, Fallen, on Wind-up Records in 2003. Fallen sold more than 17 million copies worldwide and helped the band win two Grammy Awards. A year later, Evanescence released their first live album, Anywhere but Home, which sold more than one million copies worldwide. In 2006, the band released their second studio album, The Open Door, which sold more than six million copies.

The line-up of the band has changed several times: David Hodges leaving in 2002, co-founder Moody left in 2003 (mid-tour), bassist Will Boyd in 2006, followed by guitarist John LeCompt and drummer Rocky Gray in 2007. The last two changes led to a hiatus, with temporary band members contributing to tour performances.O n June 12, 2011, Amy Lee announced through her Twitter account that Troy McLawhorn was officially back with Evanescence and that the release date for the new album would be October 4, 2011. Later, on July 11, 2011 it was reported by MTV News that the release date for the album had been pushed back to October 11. The first single from the album will be "What You Want".

During the sessions that the band had with Steve Lillywhite, Lee described the album as a "rainbow of sounds" with heavy songs and stripped out songs. She added that the album had electro influences and a lot of drums programming. Later during the sessions with Nick Raskulincecz, Lee talked about the theme of the album saying, "I get inspired by nature. The ocean's been a theme. Brokenness has become a little bit of theme, without necessarily offering a solution." She added that the band used a lot of new instruments such as harp, synthesizers and vintage keyboards like the Moog Taurus Pedal. In an interview with Kerrang! Lee said that she was inspired by life adding, "The music is about me [and] my relationships. The music and the lyrics have gone more aggressive than they ever have before too." She described the music as epic, dark, big, beautiful and desperate.

3YxaaGgTQYM

Was a really big fan of their fallen album and era. Bought it on release day. The open door had them expanding their sound, and sound production wise it was very clean. However I just didn't find the music to be as engaging or found the songs to have a nice flowing sound like on their first album. After reading the description for the new album and hearing what you want, I'm actually looking forward to their new material.

Used to have an obsession with Fallen, fantastic album, not a dud song on it.

Don't like what you want at all. Sounds like it's trying to be Fallen, but failing.

i heard people saying that new single was good, i haven't heard it myself.

But they were never that big for me, i knew them as the soundtrack band though.

Of course because of the 'bring me to life' from daredevil OST.

And agree with Tony, Fallen was good album, it was one of my guilty pleasure.

But i didn't follow them muchly after that, after Ben Moody leaving.

Then all i heard was she out of the blue featured on KoRn's unplugged album.

And again, nothing after. So i guess i need to start it from scratch again.

Used to have an obsession with Fallen, fantastic album, not a dud song on it.

Don't like what you want at all. Sounds like it's trying to be Fallen, but failing.

Feel the same about Fallen

And I liked some things about What You Want and didn't like others. The heavy guitars and violins are what I liked. The chorus was just okay. And what I didn't really like was the refrain of the song. I suspect there will be a re-mastered version on the album.

I'm so glad someone made a topic about this perfect band.

Evanescence is my favorite American band with my favorite personality leading it. She's dark and brooding, but doesn't take herself too seriously. She has a lot of fun with what she does and she's really beautiful. Her themes always work extremely well for me and I've actually seen them live a whole bunch of times.

I live in Wilkes-Barre, PA and went as far as Hartford, CT to see them. After that concert, I went home and e-mailed them. I knew that they probably wouldn't read it, but I thought it was worth a shot. I asked them to come and play in Wilkes-Barre because they had a large fanbase here. That being said, I asked that if they did play in W-B they should play "Missing" as it's my favorite song, but they hadn't ever played it live before. WELL, this being said they DID come to W-B. Don't know for sure if I was the reason, probably not, BUT they DID play Missing and before they played it Amy said these words: "Here's something we've never played live before, we're playing it as per a fan request".

ANYWAY, about the new single and album. What You Want is really radio friendly and very catchy. I like it a lot, but it's not their best work when compared with... The Only One, Lacrymosa, My Last Breath, Missing, Whisper, etc. The previews I've heard of other songs, though, are fucking immaculate so this album WILL NOT disappoint.

Sorry for the long post, but I LOVE this band, lol.

I like that one song they have that was popular before their second album.

The one song that people like to use in their terrible fanvideos? Doesn't matter the fandom it can range from Animu, Final Fantasy franchises, Jayrawk, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Star Trek to just about anything you can think of. They all probably have at least one awful fanvideo using that song.

so 2007

idk what 2007 you lived in, but evanescence were so 2003.

+oblig lololol xian rock.

so 2007

idk what 2007 you lived in, but evanescence were so 2003.

+oblig lololol xian rock.

I was 8 by then

The one song that people like to use in their terrible fanvideos? Doesn't matter the fandom it can range from Animu, Final Fantasy franchises, Jayrawk, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Star Trek to just about anything you can think of. They all probably have at least one awful fanvideo using that song.

I think you're confusing them with Linkin Park, "Numb."

I think you're confusing them with Linkin Park, "Numb."

I thought it was Crawling that everyone liked to make AMVs too LOL?

Who the fuck watches AMV's anyway... it's all crap.

What You Want was boring. I hope their whole album won't be like this. :|

Their album sucks in so many ways.

I failed to be amused by any of their releases after their first album.

Same

^ actually it sounds pretty boring and the lyrics are pathetic too...

Confused by this. Did their new album leak or something?

Confused by this. Did their new album leak or something?

I'm sorry but yes it did. A few weeks ago..

Maybe it is just me but their songs sound all the same and her voice is kinda annoying during some songs too..

Wow had no idea. First the Blink-182 album got leaked and now this.

I'm tempted to go and listen to it but I'm not sure. And I had the same feelings as you towards most of their second album. I was hoping they would improve guess not?

Wow had no idea. First the Blink-182 album got leaked and now this.

I'm tempted to go and listen to it but I'm not sure. And I had the same feelings as you towards most of their second album. I was hoping they would improve guess not?

It's not as great as Fallen was but I didn't expect that.

I had my problems with 'The open door' at the beginning but I got used to it but I deleted the album right after listening to it once.. You can give it a try, maybe I'm just not made for their music anymore. Plus.. it took them soooo long to record a new album and that is what we get? Ehh... lol

What You Want has grown on me, takes a few listens but its pretty good.

Haven't heard the album yet. I don't think a HQ rip is out yet, so I'll wait for that.

Sign in to follow this