Sign in to follow this  
Guest Magatsu

Illigal music sharing

I always lie about owning stuff. The reality is that I don't own a single CD/tape/vinyl. :o

On a serious note. I do know people who have been lying about owning stuff, but that has been about stuff like the Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath first presss vinyl, that's extremely rare and expensive and stuff like that. I have yet to talk to someone who lies about buying new CDs every now and then though.

Oh well most people tend to lie about rarez just to feel themselves so self-important

I have nothing to brag about - bunch of crappy VAs (eurocrap), random cds and like 3 j-albums (Mother by LS, Gauze and Vulgar by Deg) but nothing else

Poor student is poor

Harsh .-.

Guest Magatsu

pretty nice rocking replays go on man!

did anybody ever watched this doku?

zdwN6rRU0Xk

It got more parts so check youtube for more.

Actually labels shouldn't complain about illegal uploading. They all know that bands get more popular and that they can sell fanstuff at live gigs.

However maybe.. Japanese bands still think that they can be rich with selling CD's?

no no I'm not against Illegal music sharing... I'm just thinking about it...

like is it still save,

what would do a guy like kiwi if he notice that someone upload his music.

I just wanted to know how you guys and girls think about Illegal music sharing and if there was a way to stop it.

I like to share music sometimes, however to share things limited like only a few months.. is actually more fun.

Just like, get it before you have to look at blogs where people did re-posted (LOOOL)

You all know that I don't claim my uploads.

If I read all this through I'm really thinking.

Why wouldn't band just release albums and singles for a lower price?

Why making it.. so expensive?

Dee Lee told once in his facebook (2bullet)

Here in Japan we can Sell CD's at the same price as in America and Europe but somehow we don't.

An album here cost like 15euro-20 euro. Single around 5eruo. that's no money.

So...

Bands just should release something for lesser money... maybe just like: Collectors Item.

And upload an Album/Single for free.

After all fans choose to Illegal download it and or to buy it original.

Kiwamu blog link: http://ameblo.jp/darkestlabyrinth/entry ... 56854.html

I always wondered why CDs in Japan are relatively expensive compared to Europe and America. I mean, apparently they can still afford to ask for such prices because people are willing to pay for it, despite illegal downloads.

I always wondered why CDs in Japan are relatively expensive compared to Europe and America. I mean, apparently they can still afford to ask for such prices because people are willing to pay for it, despite illegal downloads.

I'm not an economist so I don't really know why it's more expensive, however Japan is known to have some of the highest cost of living in the world. But it could be a number of other things, possibly supply and demand? A country roughly the size of California with approximately 130,000,000 people, may make demand go up and so prices follow?

Guest Magatsu

DADA to me

Dada Velvet Eden July30 at 22:13

I think that have ended the era of the CD.

New tools are needed.

Regulation of the download is impossible.

@Champ213

Of course it's because of money.

Because if they make cd for 3000yen fans will still buy a CD.

so why making it cheaper? if it still does work?

generally prefer spending all my "music" money on shows, t-shirts, posters, and dvds. Buying albums come dead last and shows in my tiny cd collection. Plus I only buy domestic releases if I do buy a cd. Hells to the no on importing a cd.

By Japanese income standards, 3000 yen is nothing - or so I've been told. Lots of things in Japan are expensive; video games, movie tickets, everything. It's not a matter of greed on the part of the record companies or bands, that's just how their economy works. Supposedly they just have a large money supply and the average person is just able to spend that much. And remember, as CAT5 said, 99% of these bands are trying to market to Japanese people, so foreigners and their financial differences are not considered.

On the other hand, music is technically a luxury for those who can afford it, not an entitlement or necessity, so maybe that could also be a factor into the pricing. It could probably be a Japanese cultural thing, in that case.

^Yea, living is generally expensive period but supposedly most Japanese have the disposable income for things like that. Also, I'm thinking due things being expensive if it costs more to produce a Cd there anyway but i don't really know anything about that. D:

Guest Magatsu

nope to produce a CD isn't more expensive.

just same price you know.

the most expensive cost is, to pay a designer and to pay printing cost.

however.. if you send you stuff to China you can get it cheap :3

what would do a guy like kiwi if he notice that someone upload his music.

He would throw a chair at us. Everybody get out your chair protectors.

As far as I know, the Japanese have incredibly high taxes on everything they don't necessarily need to survive (as in CD's, videogames, etc.), that's why it's so expensive :/

Guest Magatsu

it's not that high.

and at CDjapan you never pay tax ^^"

Yeah, I was about to say - foreigners don't have to pay any Japanese taxes. Where we suffer is typically in shipping and exchange rate. :(

My own take on this subject is below, but an observation - I have been on more than a few forums where Japanese (and non Japanese) band members are rubbing shoulders with everyone else. One forum in particular; I remember someone requesting an album and me sending it to them in PM. They were shocked when I didn't post it in forum and asked them not to. One of the band members frequented the forum and I didn't want to offend him. They never knew. lol

This is a quote from Todd Rundgren. One of the leading advocates for music to be copyright free, and listeners to pay a fee to listen to anything and everything they want.

He even credits some of this to the ubiquity of music on the internet, a topic that can and has generated miles of column inches. For Todd though, it’s quite simple: “The internet works!! Yes, it’s having an effect!! It is the domain of a young audience and they’re using it do discover stuff radio isn’t giving them. I’m meeting fans that have discovered me last year and they’re 25. When fans are young they don’t have compartmentalized attitudes towards music. They’re open to different styles and music. With so much stuff I’ve recorded over the years, they’re bound to find something they like!”

Support the artist.

Buy when you can. Most indie bands sell CDS and merchandise for gas and food, and then on to the next show.

If you can't - spread the word in forums, blogs, and to your friends. And when you upload something give listeners some information about the artist.

But I'm still wondering why so many people just share music who they have bought for lot of money...

you pay 40euro or +$40 dollar for an Album and then you give it for free to people.

isn't that actually a little bit crazy?

if you read carefully from the first page, you already have the answer.

And to put it frankly, give that, this topic should have never been revived.

Cos reasons or things been agreed by majority of members that replies here.

But I'm still wondering why so many people just share music who they have bought for lot of money...

you pay 40euro or +$40 dollar for an Album and then you give it for free to people.

I do it because I see it as a favor. I mean, there are people who upload it before me while I bought the actual cd, but I'm not unwilling to share it anyway. For example, I share because I give something in return to the people who shared their stuff with me, it's fair.

It's not crazy at all. To some people, it's not a lot of money and they can just spend it like that and share with who they want. To other people, you can't put a price on good music and sharing something they spent a good deal of money on means nothing to them as long as they can see other people also enjoying the same music. Also, in the context of just this website the people that spend $40 on a CD do it knowing that it's probably going to be uploaded before it even reaches their house. They spend the money not because they want to hoard it all for themselves and not share, but they buy it because they genuinely want to hold the CD. So what's crazier: spending $40 on an album to upload for free, or spending $40 on an album that you know will be uploaded for free?

No offense but if everyone in the world thought like you we would have less musical diversity and less bands in every scene. You would enjoy none of the music you listen to currently because you found each and every one of those artists because someone took the CD that they bought for a lot of money and uploaded it on YouTube/Mediafire/Megaupload free of charge. Yes, there are positives and negatives but you just keep looking at everything in terms of monetary value as if it's of primary importance. It's not. Even the record companies are starting to catch on to this: that's why the big shots have their custom YouTube channels where they upload music videos by their artists for everyone to watch for free (after some ads of course). Even they understand that you have to give a little to get a little. It's the way most things in the world work.

Now I believe this topic has more than adequately answered your question numerous times so I'm locking it before it starts going in circles with bumped posts again and again.