Sign in to follow this  
Zeus

THE BITRATE SURVEY

Which file was 320, AAC, transcode, V2?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Which file was 320, AAC, transcode, V2?

• First was 320, second AAC, third transcode, fourth V2.
    • First was AAC, second transcode, third V2, fourth 320.
    • First was transcode, second V2, third 320, fourth AAC.
    • First was V2, second 320, third transcode, fourth AAC.
    • First was V2, second 320, third AAC, fourth transcode.
    • First was 320, second transcode, third AAC, fourth V2.
    • First was AAC, second 320, third V2, fourth transcode.
    • Haha...I know your game good sir. IT'S NOT UP HERE (if you choose this, list it in your post).
    • I...have no clue. You win.

It's no secret that lately the downloads forum has seen an increase in transcodes and forged rips. While I can get into the mechanics of why I think this is happening, that's not what this topic is here for. One of the mentalities on Monochrome Heaven would be what I call "320 or go home", in that 320 is the best file format to rip your files in and that everything else sounds like crap. So here's a little listening test. In the file linked at the bottom of this post are four copies of the same song "Beast of Desire" by Versailles. One is 320 CBR. One is -V2. One is a transcode. One is 192 AAC. Listening to the same track four times in a row isn't necessary to complete this survey, but comparing each for a second or two can suffice. I want to see if anyone is capable of matching up the songs with the correct bitrate without looking at the metadata. Doing this blind ensures that the results are as accurate as possible.

Once you submit your response feel free to check the metadata all you want and see how accurate you were, but don't do it before :3 (and certainly don't spoil the fun for anyone else). Also, answer the poll at the top, but I figured that was obvious. I'll keep it open for a little while and see what answers I get in return ^__^.

Four copies of Beast of Desire can be found here.

I'll leave the poll running for a week.

haha, totally wrong :D

I recognize 320 from 192 kbps mp3 and below but that's it.

This level is all Greek to me :D

I will do this when I get home. I know that I won't be able to tell this on my parents computer speakers, but my home setup is fairly decent and so are my headphones, so I think that will give me a greater chance of telling the differences.

Pssh, noooo idea!

My rule is more like "as long as it doesn't sound bad, or go home"

A decent 128, but preferably 192 is all I ask for! In fact, because 320 and 192 make no difference to me, I usually end up converting 320 rips to 192.

Let's see how all the audiophiles do.

Pssh, noooo idea!

My rule is more like "as long as it doesn't sound bad, or go home"

A decent 128, but preferably 192 is all I ask for! In fact, because 320 and 192 make no difference to me, I usually end up converting 320 rips to 192.

I always downconvert my files too. There is no significant difference for me so there is no point in wasting precious gigabytes. :)

I'm waiting for them all to take a crack at it. There's a reason why I made this post.

Giving this a try even though I doubt that I can identify them :D

I've been ripping most of my CDs in 192 of even 128 lately and I'm perfectly fine with the quality.

This might make people realize that most of them will be unable to tell the difference and MAYBE people will stop begging for 320kbps rips.

Great idea ;)!

I have no idea what the difference between each of those things are all I know is how to grade quality of files based on what I have in front of me. They all seemed about equal in quality but they got progressively less perfect, but all were more than acceptable.

Haha, idk except I can tell one is slightly clearer than another, but that's about it. Then again, I am listening through laptop speakers. . .

I honestly don't have a clue but I had recently mentioned this in the MH chat but I honestly can't tell the difference between 320 and 128 most of the time. I'm more than happy with a 128 rip but when I post rips I usually try to post 320 since some people absolutely must have that.

I do technically have an excellent hearing, but I still can't tell the difference. I've never seen any reason for posting rips of certain quality, as long as they aren't something like 64 kbps .m4as. Oh, and I do rip my own CDs into .flacs, but that's just because I want them backed up in case of an emergency, and they'll be as close to original as possible like that. Still, it's more of a sentimental thing, don't ask.

I'll try to guess, but I don't think I'll get any right.

Do you guys who doesn't heard the different between a 320, 192 and 128 rib have good speakers/headphones that you use? The better speakers/headphones, the easier to hear and the bigger the difference.

I coule of years ago I have some shitty speakers, but I didn't notice the bad quality of some of the rips (128), simpley because the speakers weren't good enough for it to make a huge difference. However, I got new speakers, as well as headphones, and thought most of it sounded rather bad, even though it was the same rips I have had for several years with both my shitty speakers and headphones. Downloaded a 320 or 192 rip of the albums and kaboom! The difference was HUGE. Tried 320 with the old såeakers and headphones and couldn't hear any difference, but with the better stuff it was quite easy to hear.

I'd be happy if my whole music collection was in 192. 320 takes up too much space and difference between 128/192 sounds much greater than 192/320. It's a nice compromise bitrate : ))

Do you guys who doesn't heard the different between a 320, 192 and 128 rib have good speakers/headphones that you use? The better speakers/headphones, the easier to hear and the bigger the difference.

I coule of years ago I have some shitty speakers, but I didn't notice the bad quality of some of the rips (128), simpley because the speakers weren't good enough for it to make a huge difference. However, I got new speakers, as well as headphones, and thought most of it sounded rather bad, even though it was the same rips I have had for several years with both my shitty speakers and headphones. Downloaded a 320 or 192 rip of the albums and kaboom! The difference was HUGE. Tried 320 with the old såeakers and headphones and couldn't hear any difference, but with the better stuff it was quite easy to hear.

I actually have minor damage to my hearing thanks to some stupid illnesses I had when I was young and that probably is a big contributing factor to why I can't hear shit when it comes to rips. :mrgreen: I did try these out on my better headset and only notice a minor difference between 2 and 3. One just seemed a bit quieter than the other.

With the "equipment" I have, I can only hear a huge difference in quality if 1) it is a dramatic decrease such as 60 kb or lower or 2) it is a YouTube PV/bad tape or vinyl rip. As for anything higher than that, the difference is faint, such as what Arithmetica said.

I hear no difference whatsoever on my crappy laptop speakers. But meh, if I want something in great quality I just get the cd? :/