CAT5

THE JAPANESE INDIE THREAD

First post in this thread, blame CAT5 for sort of bringing me here :P I'm basically trying to find what I like within non-VK, but there's so much to try that I've gotten a bit lost and gave up altogether. I'm secretly hoping you guys can help me find some nice stuff, because I like getting different recommendations from different people! Here's a list of artist I've discovered already and what I liked, to help you a bit in your recommendations. I highlighted my favourites:

- Ametsub

- Boris

- ESNO

- LAGITAGIDA

- M-Koda

- nego

- ONE OK ROCK

- school food punishment

- アルカラ

- 凛として時雨

I know, still a very short list...but I'm working on it! I hope you guys will be able to help!

I am not familiar with any of those above but I can recomend my new found favorites ROACH

Another none vk band I can think of is Bowl. I am not sure if they are indie or not, I heard their songs through the yu-gi-oh gx intros  and thought they were pretty good.

First post in this thread, blame CAT5 for sort of bringing me here :P I'm basically trying to find what I like within non-VK, but there's so much to try that I've gotten a bit lost and gave up altogether. I'm secretly hoping you guys can help me find some nice stuff, because I like getting different recommendations from different people! Here's a list of artist I've discovered already and what I liked, to help you a bit in your recommendations. I highlighted my favourites:

- Ametsub

- Boris

- ESNO

- LAGITAGIDA

- M-Koda

- nego

- ONE OK ROCK

- school food punishment

- アルカラ

- 凛として時雨

I know, still a very short list...but I'm working on it! I hope you guys will be able to help!

hmmnok, let's see what i might find from the top of my head, but i guess you'll be showered in quirky japanese indie by cat5 anyways :P

coldrain sits in sort of the same corner as oneokrock, but i guess you've heard of them..

88kasyo.. is a little bit more like the two bands you highlighted with the names i can't read, just an awesome lot quirkier/weirder

...splitting post because apparently only two youtube-vids allowed per post? that's pretty annoying...

the Unique Star too, but a bit more "conventional"

if vocals aren't an absolute must you shoud also try

First post in this thread, blame CAT5 for sort of bringing me here :P I'm basically trying to find what I like within non-VK, but there's so much to try that I've gotten a bit lost and gave up altogether. I'm secretly hoping you guys can help me find some nice stuff, because I like getting different recommendations from different people! 

- 凛として時雨

Sai, since you said Rin Toshite Shigure, you should go ahead and try out HaKU.  They're like if Rin Toshite and caroline rocks had a baby.

This song is pretty great:

I second that recommendation for HaKU, great band. They have a new mini-album coming out in June too.

I assume you're already aware of TK from 凛として時雨's

? If not, I definitely suggest giving that a try too.

Since you listed school food punishment, have you heard about Yumi Uchimura's new band,

? They only have one demo out atm, they sound very similar to sfp.

toe are also a fantastic band. A lot of their work is instrumental, but they occasionally use vocals on a few tracks. They also have one of the most beautiful PV's ever:

Sai, these are some of my personal favorites that you may like . . . if you are curious . . . >.< 

Cinema Staff (even though technically, they are major now)

People in the Box 

SuiseiNoboAz

andymori 

Vola & the Oriental Machine (same as with CS, they are major too - but their indie stuff was better)

So yeah . . . 

Here are two bands I recommend, sai. :) Dunno if Vola is still active, sadly Sparta Locals are disbanded. Still, one of my faves.

I have no idea about VOLA! Their website is still up and I don't think I've seen an official hiatus/disbandment announcement anywhere (I probably wouldn't know because I can't read Japanese). I follow Inazawa on Twitter and Facebook and it sounds like he's mostly DJing at clubs and working on other side projects right now. I think they are just taking a break? 

If anyone could shed some light on this mystery, I'd be very happy. 

old ART-SCHOOL is great too (up to their 3rd full album, after that it gets less great but still okay. Nowadays their vocalist can't really sing anymore though)

Syrup16g is pretty tootin' as well, somewhat depressing though.

the band apart are also funky though they sing in hella engrish

I almost forget to mention these bands, how silly I am

- fifi

_youtube.com/watch?v=a-xBlkG7Eyg

- Rhycol.

_youtube.com/watch?v=ONqkdqdpFTk

- tricot

_youtube.com/watch?v=P_B_GalsJrE

fifi & Rhycol. are almost similar, they have emotional rock sound. And tricot has very unique way to singing their tune

Anyone interested to doujin bands? here some bands that I like:

- -PF AUDIO-

_youtube.com/watch?v=QA_Ngkqlliw

- ヒトリエ (hitorie)

_youtube.com/watch?v=xgUKEq6HNUQ

-PF AUDIO- has nice indie rock/post rock tune, while ヒトリエ has aggressive and fast pace rock, they are cool!

old ART-SCHOOL is great too (up to their 3rd full album, after that it gets less great but still okay. Nowadays their vocalist can't really sing anymore though)

Yeah, if you try ART-SCHOOL, start with Requiem for Innocence as album, or Lost in the Air as mini-album (as they've hardly done singles)

Just heard the demo, sounds great! It's basically school food punishment version 2, but I'm not complaining as I really miss these guys. I hope they'll be having an official release soon though.

I'm pretty sure the two bands I list are under the indies label.

First is Jazz-punk group Kagero, not to be confused with the disbanded rock one:

http://youtu.be/kgsy71TG3ZI

Then there's another Jazz rock group called the Yellow Studs:

I was curious if anyone has a good recommendation for more modern Japanese Jazz-rock music?

Without doubt you should check out 8-eit. Guess almost all of their stuff should be on here, as I posted a lot of them

jizue is also pretty awesome

and so of the top of my head, JABBERLOOP is also pretty awesome, though there aren't that much rock influences in there...

Wut, they finally released a PV for that song =). PitB is always awesome =)

Just recently got into People in the Box a couple months ago! They're a decent band. I thought their album Ave Materia was really good. 

The vid isn't bad at all. :)

this thread shouldn't die!

browsing around I recently stumbled upon "ROLLICKSOME SCHEME" -> haven't heard of them before; but I must admit I totally dig it! Incredible stuff actually if you ask me -> the PV sounds pretty unspectacular first, with slow pace and backing... but just wait for the 2:20 mark, and it even gets better towards the end :)

This thread needs reviving, so here's a band I discovered about 2 weeks ago called the perfect sports. They're basically an instrumental mathrock band in the same vein as toe. So far they've only released a few tracks and they're all freely available for download on their SoundCloud. I recommend giving a listen to Sengawa & known as worthless at least, but all of them are pretty good.

Some more nice stuff I just found out yesterday.

YukaD is the vocalist/guitarist of the already disbanded ostooandell, which was a really good alternative pop-band active between 2005-2011 (iirc), anyway, in May this year she released her first solo-album. Haven't had the change to pick it up/listen to it yet, but listening to this gem, it should be something awesome. I love these kind of artists. She also improved her voice pretty much over the years. Her voice did fit ostooandell back in the day, but as a solo artist, she is way better than she used to be