CAT5

THE JAPANESE INDIE THREAD

and no one posted Especia? Sheesh...

Idol group with heavy retro/vaporwave influences <3 (you guys should check their latest album "GUSTO" out, it's neato)

Also, there's an interesting band called HERE (unfortunately ungoogleable and thus undownloadable)

imagine if new Merry was...decent? lol.

Just found this performance by Suck a Stew Dry while I was skimming through Twitter.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/47099173?utm_campaign=t.co&utm_source=ustre.am/:3bCE5&utm_medium=social&utm_content=20140505190834

^They play their new single "I Don't Love You" around 14:00, and it's adorable. Not what I was expecting from the title at all - especially since they tend to be pretty angsty.

Their singer also does random Twitcasts where he performs acoustic in his bedroom sometimes, which is super cute.

http://us.twitcasting.tv/shinoyamakosei/movie/56926816

Once upon a time, I liked the group Antihoney. They had some really creepy songs, and a creepy singer with a tiny voice and GOOD English, plus some great, unique rhythms too. But after like one album release, they sorta just...died. ;w; I dunno, the only thing I could find out about them was their home page, and some Japanese indie site.

I also really liked Piko back when he was an indie. His songs were beautiful, his voice was at a reasonably good, low pitch, and THEN he had to go major and make all these poppy songs with horrifically high pitched vocals...ah, going major really does screw ya over. ;A;

Was a little nervous about the new Yellow Studs album, since I didn't really like the tracks they released for download, but almost all of the other songs in the trailer sound good, so my hopes are back up.

Also, I was going through some music videos I have on my computer and came across folca's PV for "3:04", so I thought I'd give them a mention here.

I'm just going from what I've seen on Youtube, since I can't find any of their stuff, legally or illegally, but the thing that interested me about them is that most of their videos seem to be along the same line as this:

But then they suddenly came out with this:

I'm a sucker for variety, and I thought it was refreshing to see a band that seems to have a sort of serious, emotional image trying to mix it up and get sexy.

New JOSY one is also pretty nice... Seems like they're about to step up the ladder with SSTV and stuffs...

I'm very happy that I've seen them on their EU-tour already - very nice girls and pretty good for a band without a guitar!

Hey, wasn't sure how long this news has been out, but 八十八ヶ所巡礼 is having a new album coming out in a few days called 攻撃的国民的音楽. (If someone could give me a translation, that would be awesome). Feel free to let me know if this is a double post or something! It's been a while since I've been on here. D: 

Here's the promo video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D90AOhojK3M

Not bad! 

Anyone listened to fox capture plan before? I just found out about them and I'm really digging what I'm hearing so far.

Hey, wasn't sure how long this news has been out, but 八十八ヶ所巡礼 is having a new album coming out in a few days called 攻撃的国民的音楽. (If someone could give me a translation, that would be awesome). Feel free to let me know if this is a double post or something! It's been a while since I've been on here. D: 

Here's the promo video:

Not bad!

Yeah, there's was a news thread posting about the new album not too long ago. That section moves so fast that you probably didn't see it, though.

Did you order it? These guys are always excellent, so I'm definitely looking forward to hear it!

Anyone listened to fox capture plan before? I just found out about them and I'm really digging what I'm hearing so far.

Being a fan of both jazz/club-jazz and instrumental rock, I wanted to like this band much more than I do. They have a great lineup, but the music they've cranked out has been hit and miss for me - mostly miss unfortunately. Great musicians, but lackluster songwriting imo.

Being a fan of both jazz/club-jazz and instrumental rock, I wanted to like this band much more than I do. They have a great lineup, but the music they've cranked out has been hit and miss for me - mostly miss unfortunately. Great musicians, but lackluster songwriting imo.

Hmm, fair enough. I'm a complete newbie to the jazz scene so I don't have much to compare them to.

Anyway, here's another band I checked out recently. Nothing revolutionary, but still a nice listen.

Finally, has anyone listened to 宇宙コンビニ's new mini? I haven't bought it yet because I'm waiting to see if they release it internationally on iTunes like they did with their first mini, but I've heard some tracks floating around online and it sounds at least as good as their first.

Hmm, fair enough. I'm a complete newbie to the jazz scene so I don't have much to compare them to.

Finally, has anyone listened to 宇宙コンビニ's new mini? I haven't bought it yet because I'm waiting to see if they release it internationally on iTunes like they did with their first mini, but I've heard some tracks floating around online and it sounds at least as good as their first.

I can definitely see Fox Capture Plan's appeal tho, especially to those that aren't very well versed in Jazz-oriented material.

Yeah, 宇宙コンビニ's new album has been upped here. I've only listened to it once, so i'm not quite sure how I feel about it yet. My music associates all have mixed opinions on it, though.

@CAT5: I ordered it! Speaking of which, it shipped today. :D

And yeah sorry for the duplicate update! I had no idea how long the news had been out. I just learned about it in mid-late July. 

I've listened to it a few times, but so far, I'm not enjoying it as much as the first mini.  In my opinion, they lost that perfect balance of catchiness and "mathiness" and nothing comes close to Pyramid or 8films in terms of memorability.

Hopefully it will grow on me though!

Interesting. I've only heard two tracks in full thus far (EverythingChanges and 光の加減で話した) and neither of them gave me a particularly negative impression, but perhaps that'll change when I hear the full release.

downy uploaded a PV for 猿の手柄 (from their first album) onto their Youtube channel today. I could be wrong, but I believe this is a completely new PV rather than a simple re-upload. Both their first and second albums were recently re-released so I'm guessing that's the reason.

The new Suck a Stew Dry and 04 Limited Sazabys songs are both really cute. It's nice to see the singer from Suck a Stew Dry looking so confident too. Seems like he's really cheered up a lot with the last few releases.

Anyone got their eyes peeled on Lop abuse on somebody's stuff?

Name always cracks me up as I have no idea what lop means, besides a term used in dutch soccer when you flick the ball upwards, so i'm sticking with that for now :lulzz:

Nice emotive post-rocky sounds, especially like how the bass is utilized

Anyone got their eyes peeled on Lop abuse on somebody's stuff?

Name always cracks me up as I have no idea what lop means, besides a term used in dutch soccer when you flick the ball upwards, so i'm sticking with that for now :lulzz:

Nice emotive post-rocky sounds, especially like how the bass is utilized

Yeah, these guys are really great. I shared their album here if you check in the DL section. One of the more promising Japanese instrumental bands in recent times!

Yeah, these guys are really great. I shared their album here if you check in the DL section. One of the more promising Japanese instrumental bands in recent times!

Awesome, thanks CAT5! I'll check it out tonight.

Any other interesting instrumental outfits worth a mention?

Doesn't necessarily need to be post-rock for that matter.

Any other interesting instrumental outfits worth a mention?

Doesn't necessarily need to be post-rock for that matter.

I recently stumbled across a band called How to count one to ten. I'm not sure if they're already known on here or not (I assume they probably are) but if you haven't checked them out yet then I'd say they're definitely worth a listen. They have a new album out next month too I believe.

I recently stumbled across a band called How to count one to ten. I'm not sure if they're already known on here or not (I assume they probably are) but if you haven't checked them out yet then I'd say they're definitely worth a listen. They have a new album out next month too I believe.

Yeah! I had a listen of building blocks the other day actually!

Very appealing to hear a group do mostly math that don't so much ask of your attention-span.

Something I would easily put on in a non-obtrusive way so to speak

Maybe something of marginal interest to some fans here.

イツエ (itsue) vocalist Mizuki has participated in some anime song with "SawanoHiroyuki[nZk]" (not familiar with him):
http://www.jpopsuki.tv/video/SawanoHiroyuki%255BnZk%255D%253Amizuki---AZ/0b768b7fccc66c93f3040db197fbffb5

Imo, it's kind of a basic power ballad... Cool that she's getting more exposure, but on this track, there's not really any traces of her amazing vocal work with イツエ.