Sign in to follow this  
Furik

capsule

Might as well.

Capsule+KILLER+WAVE+PROMO+PNG.png

capsule is an electronic duo, formed in Kanazawa, Japan in 1997 by Yasutaka Nakata (co-producer, art director) and Toshiko Koshijima (vocals). They are part of the shibuya-kei movement that started in 1990, most notably by Pizzicato Five. In March of 2001, they made their first single with Yamaha Music, ‘Sakura’.

Their music contains elements of bossa nova, ye-ye, nu jazz, lounge, breakbeat, and most recently, electro house. In 2003, Yasutaka created his own label, contemode, and has produced other artists on the label, such as Perfume, COLTEMONIKHA, NAGISA COSMETIC and Meg.

Nakata has described the music produced by Contemode acts as “an accessory to fashion??, and the band’s music can often be found for sale in fashion boutiques in Shibuya, Japan.

news_large_capsule_YCCC10019.jpg

KILLER WA..er.. WORLD OF FANTASY, new album, MAY 25! Hopefully this will be the last time it's delayed.

Haven't been this excited for a new capsule release since MMM (thanks to you guys for getting me into them!)

I think it's because PLAYER didn't have much promotion behind it.

Two songs have been leaked so far and a bunch of samples.

Haven't listened to them in awhile but used to love them. Probably more so before Flash Back days but I still liked them as they were changing. I'll probably give the new album a spin when it comes out but won't listen to the leaks before then. D:

knew about the album today before going to work. i wanted to hear JUMPER and i didn't remember in which album it was, so i went to their OHP and saw the cover of their new release... and i went like "OMFG! AWESOME!!". (then i worked hard listening to JUMPER all day long) the end.

Looking forward to the new album! I can't say that I'm an avid fan, but they have more than a few songs that I enjoy ;]

Well, considering that this is Jrock-based forum, I can see people ignoring this thread : /

Either way, my favorite era off Capsule's repertoire might be lying in between SF and MORE!MORE!MORE! (I am more into that housey stuff Nakata did in the past /still does with Perfume and Kyary)

my current jams btw:

(check the ghibli PV for that off Vimeo!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dU8_8fDDxk

and JUMPER of course :)

/// pardon for my overexcited post...

knew about the album today before going to work. i wanted to hear JUMPER and i didn't remember in which album it was, so i went to their OHP and saw the cover of their new release... and i went like "OMFG! AWESOME!!". (then i worked hard listening to JUMPER all day long) the end.

OMG I love Jumper!

Really hope it's not delayed any more because yes, I want to hear it tooo D:

^ ? Hear what?

JUMPER was released on More! More! More back in '08.

The album I was talking about above was their then-new album World of Fantasy released in 2011.

Since this post, they had two other new albums - Stereo Worxxx in 2012 and their most recent 'caps lock' released October 2013.

Anyways, did you guys like CAPS LOCK? Or was it a bit too "minimalist" for your tastes?

Out of all those tracks, I liked HOME, CONTROL, SHIFT and RETURN very much (the latter sounds alot like some Ghibli song to me tbqh)

I liked it. Was better than Stereo Worxxx.

I like the new minimalistic sound of it but hoping their next album will be like PLAYER or World of Fantasy.

I'm in the process of getting back into Capsule's music after many many years, and I must say I'm impressed by their more recent releases! I especially like the new album CAPS LOCK, and the cool sound of STEREO WORXXX. However, PLAYER didn't really grab me, save for maybe one or two tracks (and WORLD OF FANTASY was an okay, solid release).

I really liked CAPS LOCK, but I just wish there was more Toshiko.  Otherwise, I thought sound and concept was awesome!

Just listened to "WAVE RUNNER"...It sounded like an EDM-trainwreck burst into a flame of hackneyed American and Kpop production ideas from 2010. Nakata can do better.

"CAPS LOCK" may not have been a fan favorite, but it was at least a step forward. "WAVE RUNNER" simply sounds like capsule is re-treading ground that's not even their's.

I really liked CAPS LOCK, but I just wish there was more Toshiko.  Otherwise, I thought sound and concept was awesome!

Just listened to "WAVE RUNNER"...It sounded like an EDM-trainwreck burst into a flame of hackneyed American and Kpop production ideas from 2010. Nakata can do better.

"CAPS LOCK" may not have been a fan favorite, but it was at least a step forward. "WAVE RUNNER" simply sounds like capsule is re-treading ground that's not even their's.

Quoting both posts because the bolded parts are all I really have to say for this release I tried out tonight (but yes, I will continue to waffle on because that is me). I first listened to this duo back with their compilation album, 'Flash Back.' This was one of my first Japanese music artists and Japanese albums I tried. It's still one of my favourites so I was more than up to try this newest album of theirs out. I'm actually quite disappointed with it, due to the two reasons I noticed above. While I can't say anything on 'CAPS LOCK,' since I never got to it, I began missing the vocals halfway through this album. There just isn't enough Toshiko in it and this is important to me since it's her vocal work which attracts me the most to their songs. And the music, as a whole, became quite tiring since it carried on with this- (quoting the best quote for explaining this); 'Nakata tried to incorporate those stupid US dance music trends into this album and that's why it sucks;' said by physicalthings on Last.fm. This really rings true for me. Some tracks were enjoyable while listening and memorable after listening, but VERY few.

I haven't heard it yet. Have it preordered digitally. It releases tomorrow here so I'll see what I think of it. I liked the singles so far. It seems more complete than Stereo Worxxx and Caps Lock.

Be it the fact that they are "stepping back" with this release - they still have no other fitting options unless Nakata is really cool about losing most of his fans (seeing as he is still starting to attract club banging folks these days). Therefore, I am gonna play devil's advocate here and say that WAVE RUNNER might be the "best" choice for Toshiko and Nakata - I couldn't really imagine Toshiko being represented well in CAPS LOCK due to its "experimental" nature, but she really fits in this "appealing our ageHa-nightclub masses" direction of WR like a glove imho.

Speaking of which, most people seem to forget about WoF (which is pretty much the same as WR but w/ late-00s trends thrown in) - did you guys even listen to it? Also, songs like "Hero" should be already familiar to those who enjoyed FB/M!M!M! to some extent...

It's definitely not their best*, but still - a step in the right direction.

*by saying "not" I am not defo implying it's their worst - WR still retains its replay value unlike the predecessor (CL), which has lost it quite fast...SHIFT and RETURN were fine tho.

So, I've noticed a lot of Yasutaka Nakata's groups are re-releasing albums on vinyl (Kyary, Perfume, etc.).

I was just curious to know if anyone might have heard anything about Capsule perhaps getting the vinyl treatment ??????? (I know about their singles, so I'm talking albums). 

Kyary and Perfume on vinyl are good signs for a possibilty, but I want to hear some official news or rumors!

Sign in to follow this