Sign in to follow this  
SUBLIMINAL

South Korea Buries One Million Pigs Alive

South Korea has been heavily criticised for burying up to one million pigs alive as it grapples with a foot and mouth disease outbreak.

The South Korean government has so far refused to vaccinate pigs against the disease and is now slaughtering them in record numbers despite appeals to stop.

Since the first case of the disease was confirmed in November the country has embarked on a mass cull.

Foot and mouth disease affects all cloven hoofed animals such as pigs, cattle and goats, and any country that has cases of it is unable to export the animals' meat.

On January 4 in one area of Gangwon-Do, 33,900 pigs alone were destroyed, according to the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE).

Compassion in World Farming (CIWF) told Sky News Online that South Korea's actions contravene international guidelines.

Michele Danan from the organisation said: "Live vaccinations are the best route but if they do have to kill them we would prefer that they were at least slaughtered humanely."

The pigs may not even be infected

The estimated cost of the cull so far is believed to have reached around £230m when a mass vaccination programme would have cost an estimated £63m.

Some animal rights campaigners have criticised the government for putting economic considerations ahead of animal welfare.

The Republic has begun inoculating cattle in some areas and the OIE reported on Thursday that sows and boars are starting to be vaccinated but only in a few locations.

It is believed the live burial of pigs began at Christmas and the figure is likely to climb far above the one million mark.

Joyce D’Silva, Director of Public Affairs for CIWF said: "Compassion in World Farming is appalled that the Republic of Korea is throwing pigs into pits and burying them alive. "This is totally contrary to international guidelines on humane culling, which the Korean government endorsed five years ago.

"We urge the Korean government to end this horrendous practice at once and to ensure that, if animals are culled, this is done humanely."

More pictures can be seen here. Viewer discretion is advised.

Really, Korea? Really. Seriously, this is so fucking barbaric.

Edited by SUBLIMINAL

this is very unfortunate.

I feel sorry for them for being against vaccination.

But they didn't do the the worse.

Some other country would have burn the pigs alive than buried :(

Poor pigs :(. But people are retarded everywhere, all nations torture animals in some way, so it's not only Koreans...

Anomie said:
Poor pigs :(. But people are retarded everywhere, all nations torture animals in some way, so it's not only Koreans...

You're right, but not at this scale. And especially when there was a more humane, cheaper method of killing them off. Besides, burying them alive could cause the infection to spread - if they are even infected - to the nearest water supply and contaminate it. It was a really stupid, disgusting decision on their part. It's sad that this is the method they chose, is all.

Edited by SUBLIMINAL

is not my point, my point was that they seem to good and try to be good but in the end they fail when they do such inhumane things and i don't mean the throwing of pigs only.

Not at this scale. And especially when there was a more human, cheaper method of killing them off. Besides, burying them alive could cause the infection to spread - if they are even infected - to the nearest water supply and contaminate it.

It was a really stupid, disgusting decision on their part. It's sad that this is the method they chose, is all.

About the humane or inhumane way of killing animals for a big scale - read something about the factories which produce meat and eggs. There are many in every country you people are living in for sure. For example egg factories: they separate little chickens by their gender. Females get their beaks cut, while males get killed (some factories just mince the chickens ALIVE).

@gin: there are many, different people living in every country. Don't judge the whole nation, just because a group of people did something inhumane. Better pay attention to your own country, inhumane acts happen everywhere, not only in Korea, a place far away from you. You could say what you said about every nation, not only Koreans.

Oh christ that's one of the worst ways to go. I want to know how they ended up with that instead of burning them alive ( which would have been a far better choice, well not for the pigs, but most of them seemed to be doomed anyway). The people who decide those things must have their reasons, they are the ones having the power and most likely have earned it.

You are either Japan, a communist or USA's bitch in their plans of world governance in far east Asia. Wonder how the soon-to-be-ending Korean truce will affect the politics of that corner of the world.

burying all those poor animals alive when North Koreans are starving? Are they mad or something?

They could have solved both of the regions troubles, hunger in North Korea AND North Koreans existance, and they just go the easy route.

Idiots.

This is horrific. Out of all of the possible alternatives, why resort to this? It's completely beyond me.

That's really cruel, not denying that. But how is it any different from the animal you last ate? Would it have been any better if those pigs lived few more months in an area that's the size of a newspaper, (maybe 1½ if they were "organic") just to be drugged, slaughtered, and eaten by you? I'm not into some hippycrap, I'm aware of this and I still eat meat because I like the taste. But it's just pathetic that people go butthurt about this when the pig you eat has suffered just as much as these. Maybe more. I would've chosen another way to handle this, but shit happens. And no, I don't need a vegetarian commenting about how great you are, you know I wasn't referring to you.

I don't eat meat, but I'm not going to preach about that! This is far worse in my opinion because they had a cheaper method of disposal available (humanely euthanising them) and chose to spend millions more to send these pigs trotting into their grave and burying them alive. Pigs which might not have even been infected in the first place, at the risk of contaminating nearby water supplies.

As it is, the animals you eat are generally slaughtered and then eaten. Not eaten alive. They're killed to sustain the human race, the ones that can't live without meat, anyway. These animals were buried alive out of laziness, greed and stupidity. If it was truly about protecting their own people from an outbreak, they'd have been better off culling them in a more humane way, but it wasn't.

Edited by SUBLIMINAL

Some slaughterhouses boil their pigs alive. Atleast they used to, before some of them got caught.

They probably thought this would be the cheapest way, but clearly they fucked up. These guys need to hire some intelligent people.

Sign in to follow this