donwea

Is B.P.RECORDS the major visual label today?

Their bands are the ones that most cd's sell, Constantly enter the top 10 of the oricon major chart, both singles and albums, Most of their final tours are in the most important live houses in Japan, and kiryu is already playing in arenas like budokan (two times).

And ok PSC have the GazettE (Although they publish under sony), But the other bands do not exist, they are not popular. They were really important until they started losing bands, like SuG, alice nine, miyavi etc etc. 

Another label that I believe is currently important is  resistar records, their bands also sell well (better than psc or others labels).

What do you think?.

I think they're still an indie label but.... danger crue records is also an indie label but it is also owned by Sony. *waves at fellow codomo dragon lover*

I don't actually think their are any major visual kei labels. Well at least no labels that are exclusively vk.

Do you mean major as in 'their products sell really well and their bands have large followings' or major as in 'they have their own means of publishing and distributing in a global context?'

I think you mean the prior and I would agree with you that BP has been doing really well since 2013 or so. I don't really have any concrete numbers, but I'm curious to see how Goemon Records has been doing too since they seem to often have bands grace magazine covers and tour with other ~big player~ groups.

Danger Crue is where bands should aim for if they wish to actually succeed leaving the indie trench. BP is indeed doing really good, but I don't think they are able to keep finding new Kiryus, and to a lesser extent, Royz...

Art Pop entertainment is also a good one for bands looking to escape the indies. Speed-disk is also pretty capable and Gan-Shin the European label.  A lot of bands on these labels ended up signed to a major label or at least gained wide recognition and charted on Oricon.

Edited by sume7

2 hours ago, Peace Heavy mk II said:

I think you mean the prior and I would agree with you that BP has been doing really well since 2013 or so. I don't really have any concrete numbers, but I'm curious to see how Goemon Records has been doing too since they seem to often have bands grace magazine covers and tour with other ~big player~ groups.

don't quote me on this but im willing to bet goemon is linked to free will in someway somehow, n so is ains. yui and yukika are getting pretty good at networking with major people because there's no way they would have got arlequin on variety tv shows without some kind of sony/universal connections. a few weeks ago gossip and grieva were put on a similar show, albeit on a smaller scale and im pretty sure @Takadanobabaalienhad receipts that ains VAs were distributed by universal, even if for a test run. both labels

i don't think BPR is on the same level of trying to push for major distribution, but TBH between ains, goemon, danger crue,  and BPR thats most of the magazine covers and major tours. i don't remember the last time a speeddisk band was pushed that hard, weird

Edited by emmny

38 minutes ago, chemicalpictures said:

Danger Crue is where bands should aim for if they wish to actually succeed leaving the indie trench. BP is indeed doing really good, but I don't think they are able to keep finding new Kiryus, and to a lesser extent, Royz...

but danger crue lost a lot of bands, div, girugamesh, now kameleo, The one really important band that is left is SID, And i think they publish under sony, UNiTE is at a lower level of kiryu or royz (Of course talking about popularity)

50 minutes ago, donwea said:

but danger crue lost a lot of bands, div, girugamesh, now kameleo, The one really important band that is left is SID, And i think they publish under sony, UNiTE is at a lower level of kiryu or royz (Of course talking about popularity)

SID is sony now, afaik. And it's not about what bands they have, is about connections, I believe. Danger Crue seems to be an very "easy" bridge to major distribution, "big" events and advertise, even if not majoring like some of the bands did. DC manages/ed L'Arc, SID, MUCC, Creature Creature, Dead End, etc etc etc. I don't think there's another management/label with so many heavy hitters besides PSC, who are now apparently in a slump, but Gazette/D=OUT seems big enough to keep them afloat just by management.

There's also Free Will and Speed Disk, which are both monsters by themselves with all their sub-labels and distributions, I don't dare dwelving into that

Not saying BP is performing poorly, they are playing smart with one of the biggest bands on the scene today. I just don't know if they have what it takes to jump up the ladder

Just now, chemicalpictures said:

SID is sony now, afaik. And it's not about what bands they have, is about connections, I believe. Danger Crue seems to be an very "easy" bridge to major distribution, "big" events and advertise, even if not majoring like some of the bands did. DC manages/ed L'Arc, SID, MUCC, Creature Creature, Dead End, etc etc etc. I don't think there's another management/label with so many heavy hitters besides PSC, who are now apparently in a slump, but Gazette/D=OUT seems big enough to keep them afloat just by management.

There's also Free Will and Speed Disk, which are both monsters by themselves with all their sub-labels and distributions, I don't dare dwelving into that

Not saying BP is performing poorly, they are playing smart with one of the biggest bands on the scene today. I just don't know if they have what it takes to jump up the ladder

D=OUT leave psc the last year. I think you're right when you mention contacts, but I do not think B.P. Is having poor performance, they events in stores are quite successful, same the concerts and it seems that fan clubs are increasingly attracting more members (Those of the three bands, not only kiryu).

I am surprised to see that no one mentioned Resistar Records, the three groups that are signed on this label Dog in the pwo, Bug-Lug and Blue Billion have a good popularity and most of their final tours take place in large concert halls for indie visual kei bands, like Dog in the pwo who played in Tokyo Dome City Hall which has a capacity of 3,000 places or Bug-Lug who will play in Budokan this coming May.

Just now, Lereku said:

I am surprised to see that no one mentioned Resistar Records, the three groups that are signed on this label Dog in the pwo, Bug-Lug and Blue Billion have a good popularity and most of their final tours take place in large concert halls for indie visual kei bands, like Dog in the pwo who played in Tokyo Dome City Hall which has a capacity of 3,000 places or Bug-Lug who will play in Budokan this coming May.

I mentioned them at the beginning :-P