Sign in to follow this  
zaa_zaa

"Hypocricy" in the music taste of some j-rock listeners.

25 minutes ago, sume7 said:

I think I 'd like to point out something everyone here has seem to have overlooked. This is a Japanese music forum correct? Could this be a reason for the preferences and biases mentioned in this thread? Also from my personal experience American's tend to do the same with music of other languages and almost seem to only enjoy a band if they speak English but as mentioned here perhaps that in itself is also merely a  "phonetic" preference on their part. But let's assume we were on an American music forum. Would you not expect the same type of biases? 

Looking at it from this perspective, I could have phrased the topic differently.

But precisely, because it is a Japanese music forum, the topic and question are phrased the way they are.

If it had been a deathcore/k-pop/etc forum, one might assume that the discussion/topic name/question would have been the same but with the specification (deathcore listeners, FPS fans, etc.).

And regarding biases - it has been pointed out by me and other participants that such biases exist everywhere in every music genre/movie genre/game genre.

So yeah =) We would see the same biases =)

12 hours ago, chemicalpictures said:

I may have generalized a bit too much on my first post, as I really do think MH has some of the best opinionated people on japanese music around the webs, and that statement is more for the generic weeaboo we found lurking around elsewhere.

True, but it still is an interesting topic to discuss XD

12 hours ago, chemicalpictures said:

I'm brazilian, so portuguese is my native language. I really do believe you can't do better than latin-based languages when talking about smooth, slow-tempo or ballad songs. However, when talking about rock, we sound like shit. Some rock tune sang in english will sound 3000x better, and that's it. Maybe it's just my point of view, but I think you guys are onto something.

As a native spanish speaker, I agree on this.

Both Nyasagi and Kaleidoscope had excellent points, and thanks Carmelzors for giving his/her very interesting point of view. I feel I always learn a lot when reading conversations here.

8 hours ago, hiroki said:

because sometimes technical proficiency isn't the most important reason, and definitely isn't the only reason, why people listen to the music they listen to and fall in love with the bands they fall in love with. this thing we call "taste" is nothing but an amorphous placeholder for an incredibly complex web of factors including instincts and temperament, environmental and psychological factors, linguistic/cultural affiliations, etc. that no amount of theoretical analysis can ever hope to untangle. even in the extremely rare instance that you can find another person who agrees with you on every single point you make about a band both of you mutually enjoy, i'm willing to bet that the basis for your value judgments about the band will still diverge, simply because, if nothing else, you are two different people.

THIS.

Preach.

8 hours ago, hiroki said:

and with this you basically just answered your own question. even though music traverses linguistic boundaries, its cultural influences remain unique. musically that's definitely the case

I was going to point out this. Music, even from different genres, coming from the same country, region, culture, area, whatever, tend to have "something" in common. Something other than language, of course, that's provided by the same environmental and psychological factors Hiroki named, and that's maybe why to the unaccustomed ear "all Italian music sounds the same", for example.

I find this whole topic and everyones opinions and inputs fascinating, btw.

I find glaring examples of this whenever it comes to kpop/krap. Honestly, many kpop fans will swear up and down that Western music is trash when so many of the groups and music producers say they are directly influenced from Western artists.... I also do not think the phonetic discussion has much validity in kpop either especially when so many of the verses and lyrics are English...

Like some mentioned earlier, it could just be some people just glorifying anything these countries produce...so general koreaboo/weeabooness and close-mindedness ensues.

But hey, to each their own.

Definitely loving this discussion. Personally, I guess I have a linguistic bias to J-music now, and my taste in Western bands has fallen off some. However, I don't think a language will bar me from enjoying a band fully. I am always open to recommendations from everywhere. I don't like limiting myself when it comes to music...I'm always looking for a new song that I'll get hooked to.

Cheers <3

Edited by gekiai
Added the weeb bit.

Not that I am attempting to necro another thread again, but I'd love to add more to my point w/ that Friedman video:

It's a real shame that YT terminated one of those anime otaku accounts with tons of good theory/trivia stuff on how Japan espoused the waves of American/European influence and made into something of their own. I could retell the whole analysis he churned out but to put it bluntly,  Japanese are not fixed on the idea of "how to start with what kind of chord if we play in this key" or rules set by the trends of our times. Even now you may hear that according to the folks outside of our circles our preferences are "all over the place" due to our twisted expectations of metal outfits and their sound.

So, the prime instance of hypocrisy lies in the fact that while the most stanny ones are cherishing this microcosm of "everything" genre-wise thanks to Japanese perception of "boundaries", their  personal takes on enjoying genres per se are heavily biased, further away from the actual picture:

They will reject "roots music" of their personal "favorite genre" as defined by themselves inside the boundaries of their musical "microcosm". When you see them for instance, saying things like that "hey, I enjoy symphonic metal - I listen to Matenrou, Versailles and Galneryus!",  don't buy immediately into the idea that they will warm to the "essentials" of the said genre. My personal experience was the main reason why I had to write all of this, since I had, and still have a bit of hard time in getting into "purist" variants of my favorite genres (western ones, since we are not touching trad music here).

As we speak, that is also why I am trying so hard but almost in vain to lose the grip on Japanese music even for the hecking 2 months or so, just to understand the "roots music" concept without any prior expectations...my two cents though, not 100% related to what OP said, sorry :(

Sign in to follow this