Sign in to follow this  
Number Girl

The Japanese Metal Thread

JAPANESE METAL

I hope this thread is okay to make! ^^

A thread to talk about all those other metal bands from Japan that don't really get talked about much on TW! From the 80's to the present - it can be bands from the general heavy/hair/glam "Japameta" scene (Loudness, Vow Wow, Dead End, Sex Machineguns etc.) or bands from other metal sub genres or extreme metal scene (Sigh, Boris, etc.) and even solo projects of metal band members if they have any.

I guess to start out everyone can just list/talk about their favorite bands and/or share favorite songs and releases!

My favorites are:

Anthem

Boris

Blindman

AxBites

Dead End

Loudness

Grand Slam

G.D. Flickers

Youthquake

Gargoyle

Mephistopheles

Volcano

Rekion

Gunbridge

Sigh

Eizo Sakamoto solo

Vow Wow/Bow Wow

. . .and that's all I can recall for now

:rawk:

My fave is Anthem, no doubt. Used to like Galneryus and Sex Machineguns too, though I haven't listened to them in a while.

I would like to get more into japanese melodic death metal, except the obvious (Serpent, Sorrow of Tranquility), but I never found many, or any I liked ('cept Blood Stain Child, if you still want to count them and who I like a lot). So yeah, if anybody has any recommendations...

Mine is DEAD END and 44MAGNUM. i watched lives of REACTION, GASTUNK, LOUDNESS, Boris (recommended by koe) , Saber Tiger, Flatbacker/EZO and i enjoyed them.

@Champ: I'm not much of a death metal person, but I do remember the band FollowBane was okay. I wasn't in love with them, but everything but maybe the vocals were good.

Anthem is one of my favorites as well. :)

@ronluna: If you liked Reaction, you should also try Grand Slam too. They have the same vocalist and a former bassist of 44Magnum.

@Champ: I'm not much of a death metal person, but I do remember the band FollowBane was okay. I wasn't in love with them, but everything but maybe the vocals were good.

Oh yeah, I know FollowBane. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure I uploaded one of their albums waaay back on the old TW. I also know of Lost Eden and Vagerke and that kind of stuff, but nothing that ever really hit me. =/

@Champ - do you know Intestine Baalism?

I like metal, but it's not something that I'm heavily into. Every once and a while, I get a craving for it (especially stoner stuff), but it's not a large part of my musical diet.

As mentioned, Anthem is great (I'm particularly fond of their ETERNAL WARRIOR album).

My favorite Japanese metal band would probably be the stoner/doom band, ETERNAL ELYSIUM.

(I'm not embedding this cuz I'd rather not clutter the thread with a youtube spam fest)

I recently found another awesome Japanese stoner/doom band called 中学生棺桶 (Chugakusei-Kanoke) or (Junior High School Student Coffins???) xD

I also like Volcano, a few Galneryus songs are cool, FEEL SO BAD....and I can't remember any more atm xD

@ronluna: If you liked Reaction, you should also try Grand Slam too. They have the same vocalist and a former bassist of 44Magnum.

i do enjoy them too. after you recommended this, i watched their pv in youtube called HERE WE GO

i heard Mephistopheles and ANTHEM too. there's another related to them band called ZIGGY too.

@Champ - do you know Intestine Baalism?

I think I heard the name, but never any actual music. I'm a bit in a hurry right now (leaving for home), but I'll check them out after the holidays.

sigh is a pretty sick band

Abort Mastication is pretty decent too...though they're more grindcore than anything

@CAT5: Eternal Warrior is awesome! "Onslaught!" :D I think my favorite has been either Overload or Immortal, I can't decide. I believe their homepage and Eizo's blog was discussing them recording a new album for next year. We'll see. . .

Cool that you like Volcano as well - I love She-ja and Nov! I think there was something on their website about them having a new album next year too. Yay, 2011!

@o hai itz will: I only have two Sigh CD's, but they are a sick band! I enjoy Imaginary Sonicscape and Gallows Gallery. Sometimes their singer gets on my nerves but he's really funny!

I'm big on Sigh as well, but i prefer the more traditional Black metal releases from the early days. Then there are some grind bands from Japan that i listen to.... and that's about it.

Just faund out LOUDNESS and I must say that I start like them

Other good bands : Galneryus , Sigh and Boris

Rosenfeld, Mein Kampf, Rommel, Casbah, Junxion, Seikima II, Tokyo Yankees and AION just to name few. Rosenfeld is just awesome and AION's Deaththrash Bound album is great (Hisayoshi <3).

Sigh <3 Also Kuroageha and vellaDonna <33333333333. (Even thow the last two get batched in with vis gay bands). I also use to be really into SEX MACHINEGUNS and Galneryus a few years back but overplayed them to death. Also Loudness, Anthem, Seikima II, Ark Storm, Gargoyle and AION are all pretty solid.

Even though I listen to a lot of metal outside of Japanese music, I never got that into Japanese metal as I have with the shit that comes out of Europe, US and South America. Dunno why, lazy I guess.

Even though I listen to a lot of metal outside of Japanese music, I never got that into Japanese metal as I have with the shit that comes out of Europe, US and South America. Dunno why, lazy I guess.

It has been the opposite for me, heh. I'm into a somewhat decent amount of Japanese metal, but I'm only into like . . . five metal bands from elsewhere! xD I need to get working on looking around the Global music boards at this place some, lol.

I like the female vocals bands High and Mighty color, Dazzle Vision, and Head Phones President are my favorites. :spin:

I like the female vocals bands High and Mighty color, Dazzle Vision, and Head Phones President are my favorites. :spin:

Before someone tries to bash you for listing these bands, I'll go ahead and tell you that these bands aren't technically considered metal, though they all incorporate metal elements of course. ;]

Heh, thanks CAT5. ^^

For those who miss Yama-B, he's been working a bit on his solo projects Rekion and Gunbridge. Rekion released an album last year and have a new single coming out soon and Gunbridge have a new single too. I personally like his voice more in those projects for some reason than in Galneryus, but the genre is more or less the same melodic power metal, just not as keyboardy-ish or symphonic.

i like Boris, Loudness and Galneryus

and recently i just found about Mutyumu.

And fell in love with them instantly.

They need to come back and release some new shit sometimes soon. I enjoyed their Post Metal stuffs.

Gonna check out some Sigh

i'd like to find out what makes them crazed over by many people here :mrgreen:

Heh, thanks CAT5. ^^

For those who miss Yama-B, he's been working a bit on his solo projects Rekion and Gunbridge. Rekion released an album last year and have a new single coming out soon and Gunbridge have a new single too. I personally like his voice more in those projects for some reason than in Galneryus, but the genre is more or less the same melodic power metal, just not as keyboardy-ish or symphonic.

Awesome tips, always good listening to yama-B :D

Sign in to follow this