Sign in to follow this  
Tokage

Bands that rearrange their songs during lives

Wasn't sure if there was already a thread dedicated to this or not.. If there is one, I apologize 'cuz I didn't check. Whoops.

Anyway, this thread is dedicated to posting and discussing bands that in some way modify their songs when they play them live vs how they appear as studio versions.

Any kind of alterations are welcome, as long as they're somewhat significant enough. Swapping out song lyrics, acoustic versions, random jam sessions, just entirely rebuilding the songs from the ground up, it's all welcome.

I feel like it's a phenomenon that's not all that common in the VK scene, other than the occasional 'unplugged' sessions. Probably conjecture, but could it be that it's due to the fact that the whole "VK live experience" has this sort of... choreographed element to it in terms of furi moves, the audience being able to sing along, or other forms of audience participation, so it's generally avoided by the artists so as not to confuse/disappoint the fanbase?

Anyway, here's some examples that came to my mind:

Dir en grey - idk how often it happens nowadays, but Kyo used to sometimes change the lyrics for certain songs while performing them live. The most blatant example's probably with the track "Fukai"

Spoiler

Plastic Tree - PT performed at least one "unplugged" live a couple of years ago where they played acoustic versions of some of their songs, IDK if they ever did it again after that

Spoiler

I'm pretty sure MERRY's also performed some acoustic versions of some of their tracks live but I can't find any examples right now

Don't have time to look into it too much at the moment so I'll just quickly drop some examples.

Dir en grey has rearranged too many songs to count during concerts, going all the way back to their earliest days. Some of which could be deemed more a case of evolving work in progress though, but if we count things that have been released then it goes back to the macabre era where certain GAUZE songs would be rearranged completely.

Shinjuku Gewalt has re-arranged tracks for live shows several times, adding and removing elements between concerts.

Sugar performed full acoustic lives.

MUCC has performed acoustic versions of tracks at instore events.

Lament. has performed acoustic shows with piano, acoustic guitar and vocals only, I attended one and it was amazing.

emmuree/the god and death stars/DIMMDIVISION/DISH/dieS/those kind of guys frequently do acoustic sets either alone (vocals+guitar only) or with the full band.

Edited by WhirlingBlack

Here's your MERRY example ^^ The NO SMART bonus CD had some pretty awesome acoustic recordings too.

Spoiler

Lots of material to dig now. I'm pretty new to emmurée, didn't know they did acoustic sets. Is there a recording on youtube / downloadable from somewhere?

Edited by crossparallel

So are we limited to VK or are we free to touch any Japanese act?

Anyways, L'arc has been doing different rearrangements of their songs on various occasions - as P'UNK-EN-CIEL (Punk alter-ego), as "L'Arcoustic" lives (e.g. gorgeous acoustic version of Kasou) and role-switch versions (Trick, Revelation).

Kiyoharu did helluva lot of rearrangements (self-covers and own songs too) back in his early solo days.

Also, the queen of constant rearrangements: Ringo Shiina (and her 'backup' band Tokyo Jihen):

Spoiler

Spoiler

AND

Spoiler

Spoiler

(the latter song basically has concerto, jazz and rock versions so far...

She is basically rearranging songs every now and then when she has a chance to do so (unless it's some sort of staple song like NIPPON)

Basically this is the prime reason why I have her WHOLE DISCOG - including latest dvds of her eras I don't really care about anymore.

Edited by Alroy

Nah, this is totally for all types of Japanese music, no subculture discrimination here.

Also, thanks for digging up that MERRY footage @crossparallel!

That Lament. show sounds cool as hell, wish I was there..

Ah, Full rearranged some of his stuff under the Shilfee & Tulipcorobockles moniker, although since these rearranged versions were also released as studio versions IDK if I should count them under what I'm trying to go for in this thread

i love audio-rips for this specific purpose, i love seeing how bands play around their their songs live.

moran/fatima

extended instrumental intro/SE over some hitomi talking for onaji yami no naka de

Spoiler

and the extended jam after shizumu taion

Spoiler

9GBO lightly reinterpreted some songs for the last lives, uta's guitar lines differ a bit from studio

also did an acoustic cover of atena no nai namae at the melancholy pool live

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by emmny

I actually forgot to link Laruku performances, gomen:

Spoiler

(In original it's only Hyde singing)

Kinda funny how they switch roles there

self-explanatory

Longer and angstier version of the original song (extended intro + extended interlude w/ Hyde wailing over)

Hyde basically sings audience-accompanied version until the end of first verse's 1st half and restarts the whole song but with fuller arrangement

Self-explanatory (again)

Much more audience-oriented version than the studio version (a lot of DUNDUN interludes with industrial mess)

Extended intro with PV's Carousel theme

Sign in to follow this