Alkaloid

Sel'm will disband

On 9/10/2016 at 10:47 AM, nostalgia said:

I'm sad seeing them go. I've been following them since their initial era in 2005 because of their first vocalist, Tora, who was the ex-Girugamesh Vo. :<

They've been such an underrated band during their period. I personally enjoy listening to most of their songs though. Both Tora and Ryuga are good vocalists and perfectly fit the band's music in their own styles.

Well, 11 years in the scene is sure long for a VK band, and they've been through a lot. I just hope ex-Sel'm members will continue making music again.

Has it really been that long?

Holy shit time flies.

Well, it's been a good run for them.

Any reason as to why yet?

knew them for a while too and kinda thought they already disbanded when i got back into my vk phase 1-2 years ago.

it's nice to see how long they lasted though even with their small audience.

but i gotta admit that i only like about half of their stuff, mainly Tora era. they have some really great songs, but a lot of it also doesn't sink well with me.

some of my fave songs are 追憶, 影, and gibberish. Creature was the first release I heard from them so it's quite memorable for me as well. Violations is also a pretty good release.

This makes me really sad. Everyone's right – 11 years is spectacular for this scene, and I really wish they could've made it bigger than they did.

Sel'm kept getting better and better and their new releases had a lot of kick to them (especially that last album!) It'll be sad to see a great band like this go, although it makes sense.

On 9/12/2016 at 1:54 PM, TheStoic said:

A lot of the bands I enjoy in the scene are all disbanding.  In a few years - I might not be listing to new VK/J-Rock at this rate.

Get used to it this is nothing new and if you're going to be into vk this just comes with the territory. To be perfectly honest it annoys me to still hear people being surprised by vk bands disbanding, although when a vk band goes for a long time it's a little more understandable.

On 9/16/2016 at 1:51 PM, sume7 said:

Get used to it this is nothing new and if you're going to be into vk this just comes with the territory. To be perfectly honest it annoys me to still hear people being surprised by vk bands disbanding, although when a vk band goes for a long time it's a little more understandable.

I've been listening to VK/Japanese music for well over a decade now (since i lived in Japan in 2002).  I understand the common theme of disbandment - but in this case, a lot of the bands I have been listening to for several years have all, one after the other been calling it quits in recent succession (veteran bands that have been steady in the scene - like Giru, DuelJewel, Sel'm, etc.).

I am just noticing that many new bands are not catching my ear anymore, and the veteran ones are now gone, so the forecast is bleaker than I expect.

Well fuck, how am I just seeing this now?

They have been one of my favorite VK bands since I started listening to them in 2005-2006. Man, now I'm sad.