Sign in to follow this  
doombox

Recommended Tracks: June 2016

Recommended Tracks: June 2016  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What songs did you like the most this month?

• "Dear:from..." by MIZTAVLA
    • "JOKER" by MUCC
    • "Limit" by LUNA SEA
    • "色の無い空の下 (Iro no Nai Sora no Shita)" by スタア区。(Starku)
    • "雨ノチ、雨アガリ (Amenochi, ame agari)" by 感覚ピエロ (Kankaku Piero)
    • "fam fam" by never young beach
    • "オブジェ (Object)" by ミツメ (Mitsume)
    • みつめるみつあみ (mitsumeru mitsuami) by フレデリック (Frederic)
    • "Dr.PANTY" by モーモールルギャバン (MOWMOW LULU GYABAN)
    • "本能 (honnou)" by シビレバシル (sibilebashir)
    • "無限ピクセル (mugen pixel)" by ユナイト (UNiTE.)
    • "記憶について (kioku ni tsuite)" by PELICAN FANCLUB
    • "青いレインコート" (aoi raincoat) by ザアザア (xaa-xaa)
    • "月のうた" (tsuki no uta) by DADAROMA
    • "THE FATES" by VEXENT
    • "インフェルノ第1奏(Inferno daiichi sou)" by バラライカ (balalaika)
    • "shinkirou" by RGN
    • "Marigold" by The Florist
    • "MARINE SNOW" by THE MUSMUS
    • "雨、東京。(ame, tokyo.)" by ツヅキマシテ、 (tsudukimashite,)

tumblr_o9lkec38ta1rfey86o1_500.png

Recommended Tracks: June

Welcome again to our monthly recommendation thread! We return to you with a batch of fresh new jams for summer whether you like fun in the sun or have it made in the shade. We do hope you enjoy. :D 

Note: Not all videos may be available for viewing in your country, we apologize.

@tetsu_sama69's picks

"Dear:from..." by MIZTAVLA

tumblr_o9lkbz6btC1rfey86o1_1280.png

Okay, this is just mostly bias because anything Riuki is in, I'm 100% there but really, this was much more than I expected it to be. I was kinda thinking it was going to be more Velbet style but ended up being so much more than just that. The track is full of vibrant melodies without giving into the synth parade of most vk bands these days which is a breath of fresh air. There's a lot of potential here especially since it's a whole different line-up working with Riuki  also new to the scene guitarist Kou working with a group of more experienced musicians from bands such as Serial Number.  Though this is the first track they've release together it's very obvious they've spent time working out their style and I can only hope they continue to bring such solid music forward with their next release.

Spoiler

"JOKER" by MUCC 

tumblr_o9lkbz6btC1rfey86o8_1280.jpg

When I first listened to this single I thought ハイデ (Heide) was pretty damn good and was sure I'd be writing a review for the leading track of this single but instead another song got my attention instead. "JOKER" is a trip of a song that starts out with a happy cheer but once the vocals kick in it takes a much heavier turn. It has heavy vibes of a period of their music that I love them so much for yet still manages to bring something fresh. Once the chorus kicks in you're taken on a emotional musical roller coaster that goes from touching to high energy thanks to the punch of amazing instrumentals and awesome vocals from a well experienced and very talented band.  

Spoiler

"Limit" by LUNA SEA

tumblr_o9lkbz6btC1rfey86o5_1280.jpg

Let's just get right into the meat of this tasty song because LUNA SEA doesn't need a damn introduction and if you haven't gotten to sample their excellence at this point now's a good time to give them a shot. Yes, admittedly this song is of their usual style at first but then the chorus kicks in slapping you across the face with a torrent of powerful vocals and stand-out instrumentals that only LUNA SEA can bring forth. You're swept up in such a strong swell of addicting guitars and rhythm that manages to dig so deep into your mind that you can still hear it after the song is over making you come back for another listen.

Spoiler

"色の無い空の下 (Iro no Nai Sora no Shita)" by スタア区。(Starku)

tumblr_o9lkcxMl651rfey86o3_1280.jpg

I don't usually get deep into this kind of music because I'm not big on 'oshare' style of visual music especially in recent years BUT one band has managed to catch my attention. Starku was formed from the ashes of Cradle with a few new members thrown into the mix which resulted in an explosion of musical awesomeness that I was in no way prepared for. Their first release 子供ROCK (Kodomo ROCK) was a great listen and had me eagerly waiting their next release. "Iro no Nai Sora no Shita" has instantly won itself a place in my heart from the moment the cacophony of digital notes and rock came from my speakers. This song is a dance rock party that just won't stop from beginning to end that bursts with the energy of Reno's scream in the middle of the track.  If you are looking for a great positive-vibed visual band to get into keep your eyes on Starku!

Spoiler

@Original Saku's picks

"雨ノチ、雨アガリ (Amenochi, ame agari)" by 感覚ピエロ (Kankaku Piero)

tumblr_o9lkbz6btC1rfey86o4_1280.jpg

This month starts with a bang right out of the gate. Kankaku Piero drops their second mini album Fukanou Kanouka. Brandishing their own form of rowdy indie rock, they lay claim to a very unique sound that is indistinguishable from other acts. In particular I have been dazzled by "Amenochi, ame agari" and its insatiable sounds. This song starts off strong with the vocalist Yokoyama Naohiro showcasing his range and unique style, along with some engrish which I surprisingly don't mind so much here due to me really digging his voice. It continues on into the verses that have a nice head bobbing effect and then the chorus explodes which can only be described as too catchy for its own good. This band is worth keeping an eye on. They have just enough rawness and uniqueness that I can see them evolving into something great in the future.

Spoiler

"fam fam" by never young beach

tumblr_o9lkbz6btC1rfey86o9_1280.jpg

Just when I thought the beginning of the month was lacking in great albums, never young beach releases their second album fam fam. This album brings with it a mountain of good vibes, enough to bring you out of any sour mood you might be in at the time of listening. The title track "fam fam" is the feel good song of the month and creates a very charming atmosphere that just makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside and on occasion incites a nostalgic feeling of family and friends. When a song is able to change my mood and uplift me the way this one has then it deserves my full recommendation. If you want to listen to something with great vibes then this is for you.

Spoiler

"オブジェ (Object)" by ミツメ (Mitsume) 

tumblr_o9lkbz6btC1rfey86o6_1280.jpg

Mitsume, no strangers to the relaxing side of music, released their new album A Long Day and with it brought a whole new slew of great tracks to sink our teeth into. If the last recommendation was the feel good song of the month then "Object" is most certainly the chillest song of the month. It opens up to a steady drum beat that soon transforms with the addition of backing vocals and the other instruments joining in. The song overall has this funky element to the sound and gives off the feeling of floating along to the beat. The main draw of this track would be how well it flows along while introducing new facets to the sound the further it progresses all the while still being able to keep that relaxing feeling and not breaking the atmosphere it has created for itself.

Spoiler

みつめるみつあみ (mitsumeru mitsuami) by フレデリック (Frederic)

tumblr_o9lkbz6btC1rfey86o3_1280.jpg

I just recently started listening to Frederic despite them being around for a while. Their music has a strange attraction that really just grabs you and doesn't want to let go. Their new single Only Wonder is no different in that regard. While the whole single is really good stuff, I found myself being strangely attracted to "mitsumeru mitsuami" more than the rest. It is a very catchy number that incorporates a lot of electronic sounds in its make up. Now usually I'm not the biggest fan of electronics in my music but here it is done quite tastefully and they make great use of it to enhance the song. I would also like to bring attention to the amazing use of backing vocals here which enhance the song even further. These guys are going places, check em out.

Spoiler

"Dr.PANTY" by モーモールルギャバン (MOWMOW LULU GYABAN)

tumblr_o9lkbz6btC1rfey86o7_1280.jpg

Okay now we come to a long time favorite of mine MOWMOW LULU GYABAN. The three piece from Kyoto are back again with a new album titled PIRATES of Dr. PANTY. We're pretty much guaranteed one hell of a ride with this one. "Dr.PANTY" is infectious on a whole different level, from the addicting guitar riffs and bass strumming to the sing along anthem like chorus and the great keyboard effects laden throughout the song. It infects you with its fun wacky atmosphere and you just can't help but to love it.

Spoiler

@fitear1590's picks

"本能 (honnou)" by シビレバシル (sibilebashir)

tumblr_o9lkcxMl651rfey86o2_1280.jpg

The world has been on a steady downward spiral in 2016, but there have been sprinklings of musical gifts from the gods, now and then. Following in the glory of Golden Bomber's outstanding MALICE MIZER pastiche, an indies visual kei group has delivered an unexpected cover of smash-hit "honnou," by none other than 椎名林檎 (Shiina Ringo). I suppose Ringo elitists will see the cover as a cheap copy (the glass panes from the original PV are replaced with plastic wrap), but that's part of the charm. Sibilebashir really have fun with the whole thing, inserting traditional VK crooning with bits of humor. Whether you're a fan of one or both of these artists, I would just love to see more cross-scene covers like this!

Spoiler

"無限ピクセル (mugen pixel)" by ユナイト (UNiTE.)

tumblr_o9lkcxMl651rfey86o5_1280.jpg

UNiTE. small-scale Beyoncé'd us this week by releasing unannounced digital single "mugen pixel." The song is that special brand of UNiTE. pop: upbeat yet mellow and filled with surprisingly technical guitar bits in the verses. This time, however, everything has an 8-bit sheen. From the title to the album art and the song's chiptune flourishes, the band went all out with the digital theme. One song is hardly enough to tide fans over, but luckily for us, two more consecutive digital singles will follow in July and August.

Spoiler

"記憶について (kioku ni tsuite)" by PELICAN FANCLUB

tumblr_o9lkcxMl651rfey86o1_1280.jpg

June is apparently 'club' month (Awesome City Club and Helsinki Lambda Club also had releases), but I was most anticipating PELICAN FANCLUB and their OK BALLADE mini album. As the kings of 2015 for me, I tried my best to keep my hype moderated for new music. I'm still processing the release, but I don't think it's quite as good as their earlier stuff (I'll spare you the cheesy pun that it is only 'OK,' because it's much better than that). Nonetheless, there are plenty of great tracks throughout! "Kioku ni tsuite" is a sprightly opener, calling upon the 90s-style fuzz of Yuck and the homegrown scratchy riffs of caroline rocks. Endou continues to deliver strong vocals that stand out in the scene. OK BALLADE may be diverse to a fault, but indie rock fans should find something to enjoy among the generous eight tracks.

Spoiler

@emmny's picks

"青いレインコート" (aoi raincoat) by ザアザア (xaa-xaa)

tumblr_o9lkcxMl651rfey86o7_1280.jpg

Yes, Xaa-Xaa wont shut up and yes, it's still good. I'm not too crazy about their new rain inspired concept mini-album considering it sounded just as uninspired as the well worn concept behind it. That said, Xaa-Xaa are still miles above their competition, as "Aoi Raincoat" proves. I like when Xaa-Xaa get metallic, and "Aoi Raincoat" is a doom-and-gloom, sludgy dirge. If you told me this was a Kuroyuri to Kage song, I might have believed you; it's tense, heavy and thick with the atmosphere of rain falling on a dark, empty street. The song unfolds incredibly well, a trademark of Xaa-Xaa's adventurous writing; had the rest of the mini been as sharp as this song, it would have been definite AOTY material.

Spoiler

"月のうた" (tsuki no uta) by DADAROMA

tumblr_o9lkbz6btC1rfey86o2_1280.jpg

DADAROMA have shown off their ability to do jazzy/swing infused deathcore, but something they've been lacking of late is a truly good ballad. "Tsuki no uta" is a turning point for DADAROMA as they forgo cliche saccharine ballad instrumentation for a sharp mid-tempo metalcore number. What makes it so special is Takashi's sharp guitar line: he leads the song with djenty riffage and other cool tricks while Yoshiatsu follows with his emotive vocals. Backed by DADAROMA's brilliant rhythm section, the song packs just enough balls to keep it from being entirely boring and enough emotion to keep it heartfelt without diving into romantic-drama theatrical cheese. Kicking ass while showing vulnerability is pretty awesome; leave it to DADAROMA to nail that sweet juxtaposition.

Spoiler

"THE FATES" by VEXENT

tumblr_o9lq347wd41rfey86o1_1280.jpg

Before you guys scream at me over how this trash sounds like Mejibray, DADAROMA, etc--YES I know this is entirely generic, but there's so much cheese to love from VEXENT. All the heavy-kei tropes of recent years come up in full strength: odd symphonic elements, drop-a open string chugging, belting vocals, breakdown, screams that are probably better left off the record, some spastic lead work and incredibly pretty bandguys who you can't help but wanna be mitsu for. Sometimes this combo results in a mess, other times it just...comes together, and that's the case with "THE FATES". The vocalist has pulled a Kamijo-style 180 from the first two singles and went from a nasally bark to a deeper, more resonant vocal--sounding more like Ice (ex-BFN) than a mute 90's indie guy. Still not sure how seriously I take VEXENT, but if they're a guilty pleasure of mine, then so be it; I'm sinning in peace!

Spoiler

@doombox's picks

"インフェルノ第1奏(Inferno daiichi sou)" by バラライカ (balalaika)

tumblr_o9lrznAmUq1rfey86o1_1280.jpg

After a bout of mystery and intrigue Balalaika have released their first video and it does not disappoint! It's not a huge leap from the members' previous work in The 3rd Birthday, but enough to make "Inferno daiichi sou" stand on its own. In typical visual kei fashion, the song rides the line between speedy growled verses and melodic choruses, but the entire song maintains a ferocity that never allows the energy to dwindle. This is a great first showing from this new band and I can't wait to hear more!

Spoiler

"shinkirou" by RGN

tumblr_o9lrznAmUq1rfey86o3_1280.jpg

The members of Region have regrouped with a new vocalist and a slight name change for their new ep to be released this month. Their previous incarnation had released some interesting melodic hardcore tunes, but "shinkirou" may be the best I've heard from them so far. The new vocalist sounds much stronger; the music is more emotive; it all-together sounds like a much more mature undertaking for them and a good omen for what is to come. And if you like what you hear they have a the song "fireworks" for free download on bandcamp which will also be on the new ep.

Spoiler

"Marigold" by The Florist

tumblr_o9lrznAmUq1rfey86o4_1280.jpg

If you're looking for quality shoegaze music, look no further. The Florist are back this month with their usual lot of stunning sounds. "Marigold" is rather upbeat for the band but that is part of what makes it shine. It starts off as a whirlwind of frenzied guitar strumming and only builds in intensity from there. And if you're wondering why the video is shot that way, it is because the band made it specifically for viewing on your smartphone! So apologies for anyone who might have gotten a neck pain trying to watch it sideways.

Spoiler

"MARINE SNOW" by THE MUSMUS

tumblr_o9lrznAmUq1rfey86o2_1280.jpg

It's taken me some time to accept THE MUSMUS after losing the indomitable powerhouse of the members' previous outfit UPLIFT SPICE. The change in sound was hard to swallow with the seeming loss of their emo and punk influences. But with time and some healing it's plain to see THE MUSMUS actually make really fun alternative rock music. "MARINE SNOW" shows the style has changed but the heart of the music is still just as strong as ever and it's near impossible not to move along with the infectious beat of this track. 

Spoiler

Guest blurb

@plastic_rainbow's pick

"雨、東京。(ame, tokyo.)" by  ツヅキマシテ、 (tsudukimashite,)

tumblr_o9lkcxMl651rfey86o4_500.jpg
Formed in 2015 ツヅキマシテ、(tsudukimashite) remain a growing VK band that brings a fresh yet old sound to the scene, turning away from the wave of synth-infused bands or dark and heavy bands. Since their formation they have produced songs of mere decent quality, but from their newest single, "雨、東京(ame, tokyo)" exceeds anything they have written so far. What instantly catches your attention upon hearing this track is the strong and kicking bassline. With a complicated bassline like that one can tell that he holds an extensive role in the band. It even makes the mediocre vocals sound likable. Still, everything in the track complements each other making each member stand out. Showing what they’ve been capable of, tsudukimashite are a band worth keeping an eye on.

Spoiler

That's all for this month!

Thank you for reading and please share with us your favorite new songs this month in the comments!

Omfg @Original Sakuu picked all my bops from june!!!

That kankaku piero was sweeet i thought i wouldn't like the release cuz i was very into some other EP they released and i thought nothing would top it but i was wrong LOL

I have to listen to the mitsume album again because i didn't have a good impression of it >_> tbh  most of the album has the funky element you talk about and at first listen i thought it was just alrighty....HOWEVER the track u posted was The One for me, definitely!!! I still think mitsume is a band everyone should check out especially the Eye album. i want to like A Long Day. Dammit!

I'll skip the part about how frederic are my sons and as expected they only release good stuff... :X'D:

My other sons on the other hand *glares at pelican fanclub* i take my eyes off them for 1 sec and they go n make that crazy ass ep /cries everything still sounds good but i wanted more of the sound they had been making for 2 whole EPs!!! But i already bothered @fitear1590enough with my rants about it. Ah....kids... they grow so fast.....

Glad you mentioned dat sweet The Florist @doomboxtheir music is always very pleasant to listen to n the new album is no different!!!

And i havent been checking  vk bands that are popping up but that Balalaika band certainly caught my eye!!

Anyways thats all i had to comment for this month's thread!! I dont think i commented on the previous one because May was a pretty boring month for me.

weow...its july already....

Edited by seurong

Great choices you have there, guys! (especially mitsume)

As for me, I have been jamming to latest Indigo la End album lately. They have surely matured a lot and it's really easy to get over possible Robin Thicke-isms (*COUGH* get the reference) of Enon by enjoying his otherwise simple yet very memorable hooks and highly technical interplay with his bandmates:

Spoiler

Some strong single tracks off the new album:

As they show, Enon pretty much works like a non-stop machine with these constant but still consistent and coherent releases. Yay.

Edited by Alroy

Thank you for having me as a guest!! I have to think @CAT5 and @Phofor words of advice and encouragement, otherwise I may not have considered submitting a blurb at all, haha.

@fitear1590 I have not listened to PELICAN FANCLUB's mini yet, but I can probably share the same feeling given that Kioku ni tsuite seemed alright only. Still a nice song to listen to though~

@emmnyI was never able to get into xaa-xaa because of the vocals but that track may just change my mind. I really like it!

@doombox Really enjoying your picks. I've seen The Florist around before and they're not too bad. I haven't heard of THE MUSMUS before, but that track sounds quite amazing! I may look into them later. balalaika has also piqued my interest, even though I'm not familiar with The 3rd Birthday.

Was able to check most of the list and there are quite a few new bands for me to listen to. Looking forward to next month~ ^^

Edited by plastic_rainbow

Just now, plastic_rainbow said:

Thank you for having me as a guest!! I have to think @CAT5 and @Phofor words of advice and encouragement, otherwise I may not have considered submitting a blurb at all, haha

your writing/review was awesome, i expect to see a few more reviews from you!! :')

1 minute ago, emmny said:

your writing/review was awesome, i expect to see a few more reviews from you!! :')

aw thanks! it will mainly depend on whether i find something really good to share~ ^^

10 hours ago, seurong said:

Glad you mentioned dat sweet The Florist @doomboxtheir music is always very pleasant to listen to n the new album is no different!!!

And i havent been checking  vk bands that are popping up but that Balalaika band certainly caught my eye!!

I'm really enjoying that The Florist album too. It was really hard to pick which song to post this month since both the videos were really nice. I have high hopes for Balalaika, I really liked the 3rd Birthday. ;;

28 minutes ago, plastic_rainbow said:

@doombox Really enjoying your picks. I've seen The Florist around before and they're not too bad. I haven't heard of THE MUSMUS before, but that track sounds quite amazing! I may look into them later. balalaika has also piqued my interest, even though I'm not familiar with The 3rd Birthday.

I'm so glad you enjoyed them. I really liked your pick too, they have a pretty distinct sound. They have this kind of Plastic Tree meets SID thing going on (maybe it's the visuals pushing this connection in my mind lol) and it's really cool! I do hope we'll see more guest appearances by you in the future too. ;D

@CarmelzorsThose songs sound great! I really have yet to dislike indigo la End but I just can't keep up with Enon's release pace sometimes. 

@tetsu_sama69YAY MUCC! I really like this single, as usual I think the b-sides are better than the promoted song so I couldn't agree with you more on this one.  I was also happy to see that Luna Sea song too, every time I listened to it I kept thinking it sounded like an anime theme, so I googled and sure enough. XD 

@Original SakuThose Kankaku Piero and Mowmow picks are definitely joining my library soon. Great picks all around but those two I love!

@fitear1590 Dat shibilebashir cover gives me life. lol And Pelican Fanclub remain my indie darlings. Wonderful.

@emmny Great XAA-XAA pick. I like the entire mini but I think "Ooame keihou hatsurei" is my favorite just because they went so batshit in it. lol. DDRM remain faves. And I was digging that VEXENT track too. You are on fire this month!

@Original Saku - I still need to try that never young beach. Their album from last year was nice.

@fitear1590- LOL, I can't say that I'm a Ringo elitist or anything, but while I prefer the original by lightyears, I do find Sibilebashir's cover to be amusing at least. Can't see/hear the Peli track, but I am super curious after hearing samples of the mini.

@emmny- those xaa xaa and DADAROMA songs are surprisingly hot. Nice!

On 7/1/2016 at 6:45 AM, doombox said:

Note: Not all videos may be available for viewing in your country, we apologize.

8 hours ago, CAT5 said:

Can't see/hear the Peli track, but I am super curious after hearing samples of the mini.

For Japanese YouTube videos only blocked in the US (from channels like UK PROJECT, etc.), I've found that Hotspot Shield Free VPN Proxy is a great extension for Chrome users. It has an easy on/off switch!

Unfortunately, this does nothing for those "Japan-only" YouTube videos.

Sign in to follow this