[BAND BATTLE] THE BLACK SWAN VS DOAK  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• THE BLACK SWAN
    • DOAK
    • neither. ew.
    • Both of them slay
    • Who are these people.

THE BLACK SWAN

2016-02-24-the-black-swan-album-oneman-l

DOAK

doak-ageha-band.jpg

DOAK Has really improved! They need better production quality though, i'm still salty about Satoshi being in DOAK but, I cant wait for INSIDE FEAR.

tumblr_no55uxAnBm1u1igryo1_500.jpg

DOAK just sounds so bad to me :x Not just the vocals, but the music... Maybe it just comes down to liking one bad vocalist over another?

tbh i expected better from Doak because of Yuuki and my love for UnsraW, but The Black Swan have never really appealed to me either. i guess i'll have to go with Doak, though, because they're definitely more tolerable. i hope they'll keep bringing heavier stuff.

THE BLACK SWAN managed to craft a progressive clusterfuck of a MACABRE clone even if the rest of their music is nauseating. We know what we're getting with Jin as a vocalist and even though tonally he leaves much to be desired as a vocalist he runs circles around Yuuki. For one, he can harmonize.

DOAK sounds like absolute garbage with no hope for redemption. I don't know how people can listen to DOAK unironically and still profess to love music. They're tied with Ha;qch. and I.T.G for most overhyped pile of drivel to hit the scene post-2010 and if Yuuki / Satoshi wasn't involved they would be another no-name no1curr band that people would only masturbate over in retrospect.

I'll stick with my ugly swans.

7 minutes ago, Zeus said:

THE BLACK SWAN managed to craft a progressive clusterfuck of a MACABRE clone even if the rest of their music is nauseating. We know what we're getting with Jin as a vocalist and even though tonally he leaves much to be desired as a vocalist he runs circles around Yuuki. For one, he can harmonize.

DOAK sounds like absolute garbage with no hope for redemption. I don't know how people can listen to DOAK unironically and still profess to love music. They're tied with Ha;qch. and I.T.G for most overhyped pile of drivel to hit the scene post-2010 and if Yuuki / Satoshi wasn't involved they would be another no-name no1curr band that people would only masturbate over in retrospect.

and I thought I had a stick up my ass haha

I'ma have to go with TBS for this one because I've actually warmed up to their music recently via their latest album. It was pretty cool, even though it does feel like the composition is kinda repetitive at times.

I listened to that one DIOK song in the OP, its not bad but it wasn't doing it for me. Dem vocals.....enh and the production was pretty bad as well.

3 hours ago, YuyoDrift said:

and I thought I had a stick up my ass haha

:/

3 hours ago, Zeus said:

While I agree that their production quality isn't the best, they sound cool. Yuuki just needs to improve on vocals and they need a better sound producer. I literally don't understand why they don't have this whilst they are on Speed Disk and  how high def their pv looked. Like cmon.

Admittedly I hated DOAK and their sound, aswell as Yuuki's vocals and that disgusting autotune shit from the first single. Not to mention the vocals sound so out of place with these D.I.D. esque compositions, satoshi and yuuki go together like oil and water tbh. Oddly enough though Hakuri and Ito sound pretty alright, while Inside Fear sounds like a song that didn't make it on Providentia, i still want to hear it. 

As for THE BLACK SWAN, Jin's voice is nasally but it fits aswell as the compositions, but then again he has Makoto of ex-Reviver and Itsuki of ex-Origami. He and Yuuki fit that category of Unique voiced vkei vocalists but going off of basics, Jin just can hold a key better than Yuuki, his voice is a lot smoother. Yuuki does have his sweet spots though, he can harmonize aswell..but it feels like he really doesn't spend time refining his voice. But that was back in Unsraw..I feel Yuuki should take a bit more time to focus on those Sweet spots.

4 hours ago, Zeus said:

as usual zeus is preaching! thank u GOD!

3 hours ago, 『Hotcakes Butt MK II』 said:

While I agree that their production quality isn't the best, they sound cool. Yuuki just needs to improve on vocals and they need a better sound producer. I literally don't understand why they don't have this whilst they are on Speed Disk and  how high def their pv looked. Like cmon.

I heard similar claims back in 2006. He's only gotten worse over time, in part due to his four year battle with pneumonia. You can hear the difference in harsh vocal power between songs like Social Faker and BEGINNING OF LOOP. Now his harsh vocals are even a step down from second-era UnsraW if you really want to compare REBORN to anything in the master post. I make no claims for golden ears.

While I could (and probably should) be sympathetic towards Yuuki considering all he's gone through, he made the choice to leave UnsraW because of his inability to perform. He even said coming back to reform UnsraW that he was unsure about his ability to perform. He still sounds like he can't push it to the max and I'm certain that illness took it away from him and he never will be able to. While he has newfound confidence, he doesn't have new vocal chords. Much like one of my favorite vocalists Hizumi, he's going to have to work with his limitations and do what he can. I believe you said something similar below. He insists on performing music he can't anymore, and for that he deserves all the proper criticism that comes with it.

Anyone that's going to call those larynx-shredding warbles good harsh vocals needs to get better speakers.

P.S. I believe UnsraW were also signed to Speed Disk so I'm not understanding why this label can't fork over the cash to make them sound as good as they look. Then again their limited budget must also be a sign of wavering faith, as I remember someone claiming UnsraW's last three releases were live distributed because the company didn't think it was good enough to release as an EP. Take that at face value.

Admittedly I hated DOAK and their sound, aswell as Yuuki's vocals and that disgusting autotune shit from the first single. Not to mention the vocals sound so out of place with these D.I.D. esque compositions, satoshi and yuuki go together like oil and water tbh. Oddly enough though Hakuri and Ito sound pretty alright, while Inside Fear sounds like a song that didn't make it on Providentia, i still want to hear it. 

As for THE BLACK SWAN, Jin's voice is nasally but it fits aswell as the compositions, but then again he has Makoto of ex-Reviver and Itsuki of ex-Origami. He and Yuuki fit that category of Unique voiced vkei vocalists but going off of basics, Jin just can hold a key better than Yuuki, his voice is a lot smoother. Yuuki does have his sweet spots though, he can harmonize aswell..but it feels like he really doesn't spend time refining his voice. But that was back in Unsraw..I feel Yuuki should take a bit more time to focus on those Sweet spots.

Amen, especially to the part in bold.

I didn't care for Nega or Unsraw, but I voted TBS because they're like Nega if I liked Nega more, whereas Doak is like Unsraw if I liked Unsraw less. There was also a lot of hype for Doak that they didn't live up to, so I think that disappointment is contributing to my opinion in a way.

Edited by mahoujin