beni

Romance in Music: The Love Song Thread

Apologies if such a thread already exists (I cannot locate one at this moment in time), but I was in the mood after rediscovering an old favourite which prompted this thread:

Lyrics under spoiler:

You cool your bedwarm hands down

On the broken radiator
When you lay them freezing on me
I mumble can you wake me later
But I don't really want you to stop
And you know it so it doesn't stop you
You run your hands from my neck
To my chest

[Chorus:]
Crack the shutters open wide
I want to bathe you in the light of day
And just watch you as the rays
Tangle up around your face and body
I could sit here for hours
Finding new ways to be awed each minute
'Cause the daylight seems to want you
Just as much as I want you

Its been minutes, it's been days,
It's been all I will remember
Happy lost in your hair
And the cold side of the pillow
Your hills and valleys
Are mapped by my intrepid fingers
And in a naked slumber
I dream all this again

The whole atmosphere, soft and somber vocals with the unbelievably gorgeous and pleasant lyrics is such perfection. The delivery is spot on and the build up is smooth as hell, never getting too loud but still putting you on edge. I find this song a hard one to explain. The usage of the rather unique theme of shutters and sunlight wanting to reach and touch your body and greeting you in the morning brings me to tears. It's such a beautiful song with a unique charm to it, making it powerful yet simple.  

To a lesser extent, my Japanese pick would definitely go to the J-pop prince, Yuya Matushita's Kiss Me. I love the majority of his songs (there's too much to choose from when we're talking about Yuya love tbh), and Kiss Me is one of his more straightforward tunes, brimming with positive vibes and good, fluffy feels.

Lyrics under spoiler:

*Come to me, baby
Sweet my love

You looked at me without looking away; I knew I could protect you
I'd give you warm feelings no matter how many times I'd say to you
Being friends for quite some time, but I still feel it
If I could be the one you love, forevermore

If the reason behind those overflowing tears in your strong eyes
Is because of that romance ending, I'm here for you

**Kiss me, kiss me, kiss anytime
You can call out to me any time
Feel me, feel me, feel everything
I want to keep holding you forever
Kiss me, kiss me, kiss anytime
So don't feel shy
Just believe me now, my girl

Come to me, baby
Sweet my love

Even in the cold rain, and even when I lose the keys to my house
Even if I miss the last train, I'll meet you anyway
When your heart rolls like a wave, let it roll to me
I'll wrap up your sadness and selfishness

I've been waiting for you for a long time
Its okay to tell me that you want me
Don't be troubled on those unclear nights
Feel me now, my girl

*Repeat

**Repeat

I have plenty of cheesy ones too but I'll refrain from embarrassing myself atm. Please note, as you might've noticed with my picks, this is for any kind of genre/music, any language in fact. Anyone else want to share the love?

Fantastic thread! Water/earth sign people will enjoy this, perhaps.

Well, considering the title of the thread, this is the first song that came to mind:

One band that has also come to mind is Anathema. Its almost like they're this concept band about all sort of fellings. Love, loss, despair, personal struggles, this are some of my favorites:

There's a bunch of folk/singer-songwritter stuff that really gets me. Cat Power, Fiona Apple, Jeff Buckley, Sufjan Stevens, Leonard Cohen, Sharon Van Etten and so on. Chelsea Hotel is problaby the first song that came to mind.

Gackt's Love Letter is pretty much a album consisting entirely of pop-folk ballads. I'm pretty sure there's a dozen of those by Glay, too. And Lareine and Malice Mizer had the tendency of create pretty romantic feels with their songs.

Slowdive sounds pretty romantic to me. I often used to daydreaming about Alison playing in my wedding. 

And i couldn't leave this post without citing the most heart wrenching song about break up: 

Nice thread! :D

Here are some of my song choices.

Tragic love

Aucifer - Regret

abingdon boys school  - and I love...

Erotic (the song that makes you wanna fuck/get fucked which ever way you look at it)

LUNA SEA - KISS

This song has a bittersweet love feel.

Trust Company - Stumbling

Survivor's Is This Love has a really nice tune that sounds very romantic and leaves me with something fuzzy inside.

awww @beni, i love Yuya too!! you just made me wanna go back and listen to his discography all over again. i think my favorite Yuya song is probably this? there's even the fun/creepy moment at the low C# in the chorus where he sounds almost exactly like Utada Hikaru lol. anyway the entire #musicoverdose album is amazing.

it's hard to choose my favorite love songs from jpop cuz, well.. 50% of jpop has to do with love in one form or another XD but w-inds ballads come to mind:

also, KOKIA (obviously):

and some mandatory vk favorites i guess:3

↓↓i'm forever indebted to @eiheartx for introducing this gem to me↓↓

Somehow I forgot to throw in a mention for Prince's "If I Was Your Girlfriend", which is hilarious, sexy and adorable all at the same time.

http://videos.sapo.pt/LVB2Tz1LnF0RJjFZ4A9n

"If I was your girlfriend, would you let me dress you
I mean, help you pick out your clothes before we go out?
Not that you're helpless
But sometimes, sometimes those are the things that bein' in love's about"

The Darkness' "Growing On Me" is glorious in sort of the same way. The "I wanna banish you from whence you came / But you're part of me now and I've only got myself to blame" bit always makes me smile and swoon at the same time. It's such a fun song to sing along to as well.

Bumping because it's the 14th~

Paloma Faith is my music waifu and her songs are usually more about lost love but this one is a surprisingly hopeful spin on her typical songwriting. I so wish she did this more often. While this is subjective, I do look at this song as one of her more positive works. Her lush, elegant vocals being the narration for the cute and sweet lyrics is more than adorable and is a breath of fresh air against the rest of her tunes (just check out the video to see the lyrics!). It's one of my lullaby songs for the night because of its whimsical sound and soft sound.

There's plenty of theories and suggestions with this song, being that it's positive when it comes to love, or that it's about a break up and its after-map, and even that it's about the band's formation having gone through loses of members (and taking into account all their relations to one another). What cannot be denied is the sweet lyrics that makes me come back to this tune every now and then:

Can't count the years one hand
That we've been together
I need the other one to hold you.
Make you feel, make you feel better.
It's not a walk in the park
To love each other.
But when our fingers interlock,
Can't deny, can't deny you're worth it

Cause after all this time.
I'm still into you

I should be over all the butterflies
But i'm into you (I'm in to you)
And baby even on our worst nights
I'm into you (I'm into you)
Let em wonder how we got this far
Cause I don't really need to wonder at all
Yeah after all this time
I'm still into you

This one is more of a guilty pleasure for me. I adore the lyrics, but I get embarrassed that it's Avicii and Leona Lewis. Admittedly, I actually like the DJ work on this one that I usually hate whenever I turn on the music channels on TV these days, but with the lovely and actual innocently (to an extend but more so than other chart topping songs ehe) feel good lyrics (see the vid~).

I've already commented on these guys before, but their album 'My Forever' plays like a real Love Letter and its stayed with me as one of the very first CDs I ever purchased and still listen to now. Just click on the video link to get to the whole album on YouTube and find the lyrics in each video's description.

OST goodness now. Anastasia isn't just one of the best animated movies, but it has a bloody wonderful soundtrack too. Such wedding song.

I wish I could find the lyrics to this song again, but this is my favourite chara song ever and the lyrics are the most beautiful thing I've graced. God damn myself for not saving them as soon as I discovered a translation. It still sounds gorgeous, and if you know Japanese, major plus right there.

Practically one of THE best torch songs to me (or that's how I'd interpret it)

I don't even need words to describe my feelings but talk about additional bonus though:

The freezing cold morning Yamate Road
I throw away an empty pack of cigarettes
again today indulge in loneliness
in a little room with nowhere I can step.

Dont' love a restless cry
don't look to the future
build up only the present you can be assured of
the need for you to call my name
and touch my body,
you should recognize only this.

I love you, balling away all alone
there's no use in fooling around on the evening road
the cheap flourescent lights of the ticket check
don't even cast your shadow,

or far off days of warped uncertainty
that rouse the season as if tasting the scent of Seven Star
the thing I wish for myself, to easilly go beyond contradiction
until even that voice i cherish beyond anything else will be made hoarse.

the german car and patrol car siren that break the night's solitude
an explosion,
the real world, a suspension.

Other picks:

Ned Doheny (Hard Candy ofc)

Steely Dan (Aja!)

Eggstone

Antonio Carlos Jobim

Astrud/Bebel Gilberto

Danielle Brisebois

The Snow Patrol spam has been strong. I swear to God, they make some of the most romantic songs ever. I was so hung up on "Crack The Shutters" to try this one out only recently. Completely in love with it. It may actually beat "Crack The Shutters" for me. I love how you can picture it as a marriage proposal, or a confession, it's up in the air and how you interpret it! It can be about every bit of love and its many stages. ;; Better video too! Lol.